SAN DIEGO RAP IS IT OVER???

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Aug 15, 2002
jaY_eF_eS 1904 said:
PROBABLY CUZ EVERYBODYS HELLA EXPOSED TO DIFFRENT RACES .. COMPARED TO OTHER CITIES DAGO'S MIXED AS HELL .

True thats the main reason I think that the natives of SD date around is because A. theres not that many black folks here and B. we all grow up around different races so its not as big of a deal

Gas One

May 24, 2006
Downtown, Pittsburg. Southeast Dago.
wow so its fifth or sixth...you upped a thread to bring up a point about a two number difference...pat yourself on the back then realize how ridiculous that is

and actually..it was sixth in 2005 and its 8th in 2006...i dont know what it is in 2007 much less the fact that its about to be 2008...(cities obviously get bigger or smaller) but i do know theyve only included the city, and not san diego county ..if they included san diego county (carlsbad,etc) that would add 2.9 million onto sd'd population

for some reason they dont do that..which is good to me because it aint nothin but rich ass ninnys up there anyway

Apr 22, 2006
Ok im gonna try and make this sound as un ignorant as possible. It really seems simple to me. First I think cats need to cater to they fan base like for instance. when i first heard of mitchy slick he damn sure wasnt making his music catering to the niggas in my neighborhood lol. but you could tell he was making music catering to his neighborhood in my opinon and u respected that plus he was actually good on the mic and then when i went to the bay i noticed cats was really on that triggeration station harder than we was out here. and i came to the conclusion it was becuase the streets has vouched for him and it seems like he's taken advantage of every opportunity so far he's had. Cant really say the same for other diego rappers. And just becuase u rapping dont mean you good. cats need cricket maybe to exclusively do they beats he aint the best but he gives you quality. alot of music i here got good content but regular as beats and i mean beats that really didnt put alot of effort into. Plus lets keep it real Diego aint filled with what i would call hustler's no disrespect meant but yeh you gotta be able to push your product. I aint gonna by your shit just becuase its at best buy and your suppose to be holding diego down.

CoopDVill

Super Moderator
May 4, 2003
www.facebook.com
OK I MADE THIS THREAD MONTHS AGO I TOOK IT AS ALOT OF US PPL FELT LIKE DAGO RAP MAY STILL HAVE LIFE IN IT! BUT AFTER READING POST FROM HEATERVILLE'S THREAD WITH QUOTES LIKE THESE

its hard for me to imagine dago being on the map as far as rap...the talent is here, but just like Lil C.S. said the time has gone. I just wish the best for everyone and hope they continue to do what they do...and yeah Gangsta Gold is nice ...
to be honest i agee that it is kinda late, but i woulda thought the same thing like 5 years ago when atl and houston where blowin up, if they can do it i think dago can too
but i dont know the way sales and the rap game goin now it might really be too late
I ASK YALL AGAIN IS SAN DIEGO RAP OVER???

Sep 7, 2006
OK I MADE THIS THREAD MONTHS AGO I TOOK IT AS ALOT OF US PPL FELT LIKE DAGO RAP MAY STILL HAVE LIFE IN IT! BUT AFTER READING POST FROM HEATERVILLE'S THREAD WITH QUOTES LIKE THESE

I ASK YALL AGAIN IS SAN DIEGO RAP OVER???
You're asking a question you already know the answer to. It never happened in the first place. We've only had one rapper in the game, period. So, a better question is will there ever be San Diego rap? And still the answer is the same. We don't have a market. I'm in the ATL now, the shit like the 1980's when we had 92.5, except they have 4 of the shits. Big market wit 500 niggas callin they self rappers (like dayg), and it ain't about talent or albums. Niggas focus too much on songs. Make one song out here and you blow. Its that simple for these niggas. In rotation 24/7 wit that bullshit. I guess what I'm saying is leave Daygo #1 and put your money into that one so-called hit you got. Coop your talent could go far out here mane! Just my thoughts.

Apr 12, 2005
www.freeloadmp3.com
Yeah in my opinion, I believe there will still be a dago rap scene, but becoming the next L.A. or ATL I think them days are nearing an end. I am glad in a way because it may separate those who really love doing this thing from those who think they gonna make an easy $. Too much focus is being put on a dago movement..Shit I feel the same thing about L.A> as well..Focus on you..If we keep it real..It should be hard enough for an artist to complete an album with quality production, let alone get involved with some movement..It takes away from where the true focus needs to be and that is the music...If a movement takes place it will likely be in the form of perception of a movement in which artists in dago just put out consistent good music.

Apr 26, 2006
Embrace Hyphy. lol Just kidding, but heck it's working for the Bay.

Seriously though, I think Black and Brown rappers should unite, heck every race. Considering the smaller size of San Diego and large population of Hispanics, I think it would help build a bigger force and attract more customers around SD. Then the rest of the world would catch on and you guys can start branching off as individual artists. But for now on a local level, I think you guys need to unite to form a fanbase here because right now, there's a super small fanbase that ain't cutting it.

T.C

Sicc OG
Jul 22, 2003
what is the difference between what young jeezy raps about and what mitchy slick raps about? the beats? please. same content. we got the block and projects, and crips and bloods. the south got the trap. i don't get it.
gangsta rap is alive and well, lil wayne be spittin gangsta shit. hell he even thinks he is a blood! lol so whats the deal?!
the difference is the region the two artists live in. Atlanta has a bigger black community than San Diego, both percentage-wise and per-person. Bigger black community equals more support...

Jul 17, 2005
Just appreciate Dago rap for what it is and don't count on it blowing up. There is no scene, In order for there to be a scene you need to have an abundance of talent. What we have is a handful of good artists that surround themselves with niggas that are just horrible. Big Homies, Lil Homies, Cousin Kenny, Uncle Buck, everybody and they momma... backwards shit.. Get on first then put your group on.. all these group projects full of niggas we couldn't care less about.

The music industry can't take you all seriously. Everybody thinks they should be the face of Dago and we can't even decide on 1 artist to stand behind. Not a good look.

HOOD

Sicc OG
Dec 17, 2004
www.soundclick.com
Nobody willin to put they issues aside for the better of the movement is what's killin us. Real talk alot of the artists out here ain't holdin they wait. Believe me I know what it is. I've had and have issues with plenty dudes out here and if shit pop off, it pops off but as much as I'm focused on this money out here there isn't a single issue I wouldn't drop for better of the Daygo Movement. Everybody need to realize this is a city with no major music offices in the city, no MAJOR studios, No MAJOR A&R's, No nothing. The money isn't here. We need to get money in other cities and bring it home. We need to establish this music scene. Nobody's dropping any projects out here. I've got a few projects lined up just for the movement of the city that i'm going to hit everyone with. I've given the opportunity for everyone to be a part of them and it's crazy how people sleep on things like this. I've been behind some of the biggest mixtapes out here on the westcoast, I supplied the entire city with music from the music traders, fam mart, mojo'z, indy shops, everything, I got artists from Daygo heard all over the country on the new west attitude mixtapes. We get pushed by the same people who push Mick Boogie, DJ Drama, and the 2nd biggest mixtape site on the net. With all that people still slept on getting on the projects. I'm about to use the clothing line to put alot of katz on and eatin so get ready. we giggin and we giggin fa real this time around. anybody wanna get at me on the real tip hit me. [email protected] or myspace.com/hoodcertified .
Last thing is everybody need to stop waitin on Mitchy to come and break the next artist. He the biggest dude out here but he still ain't finished getting on so stop complainin about how he ain't out here gettin everyone else on. Get yaself on. put YOUR money behind yaself and stop waitin on the next man to give u a spot. We don't have 1 artist that's in that kind of position yet so we need to support eachothers projects, shows, events, video shoots and the whole nine to really get bizzy. with that i'm gone.

-Hood

Apr 12, 2005
www.freeloadmp3.com
^^ I feel what ya saying, and i acknowledge that you been trying to get shit going but getting people to hop on has been a problem...I was tellin Sau this yesterday...Its hard enough to do what you gotta do let alone get others to do their part, this is why a movement can be a double edge sword. In one hand if everyone plays their position it looks like a big thing and the support can only help the artists. On the other hand with out artists playing their positions its counter productive and a waste of time for those who are doing there part. The more people the more hassle,the more egos, the more problems...It is almost doomed for failure.
Every time I hear about a movement I wonder if many of the people who support one are just looking for someone to ride the coat tail, because they do not have a chance of making it, not just out of opportunity but they lack the skills. there are too many people trying to get on, that are garbage and do more damage and tarnish any reputation Dago has built. Im not saying that artists should stop rapping, just be real with your expectations, and quit putting out mixtapes and c.ds if no one is buying them..
Speaking of mixtapes, and this is not directed at anyone, and i was talking about this yesterday as well. People still making mixtapes..? Unless you are a major artists or one with a fan base why would anyone make a mixtape?..Might as well do an album. My opinion is..even towards known artists..so unknown this really applies to you as well...I wasnt even sure i was gonna buy your album...let alone a mixtape...many mixtapes are given for free...I got so many c.ds that damn even if its free Im cool..although I am in the process of putting all my c.ds in mp3 and putting them on this 1 terrabyte hard drive i bought. One gets to a point where they have more music then they can ever listen too, and when they start getting for free..or buying mediocre shit..its just a waste of space..

Gas One

May 24, 2006
i think people need to stop trying to run the fucking rap game and just make music. what the fuck.

everyones looking for this magical formula when its right under their noses...

just drop music. fuck the blowing up and this and that.

and an unrelated issue...how much longer can niggas talk about the same things...its been what...12 years niggas still rappin bout the same 5 things..why buy that shit?

actually, why even listen to it?

i remember when special ed's "i got it made" was actually a creative song...it has since been done a total of 600,000 times.

san diego isnt a team..were comprised of many different types of people from many different types of hoods. i know weve got together on some songs and shit but san diego dosent exactly form like voltron and compete with other cities for the number one spot.

it aint like NBA basketball or somethin...its indy rap

more like high school basketball than college basketball

every once in a while a scout might pick a dude from high school..but it dont happen too often and it shouldnt be bet on..

if sd ever had a chance, it was jayo felony being signed to def jam....and if you really look at it..how much of a chance was that? were talking about someone who made 3 tribute songs to sherm sticks.

Jun 15, 2005
i dont think its over, but it aint too much more advanced than it was 10 years ago. There's just more people that think they can rap. I'm all for the positive attitudes and shit, but only because the more folks that rap, the more chance were gonna hear someone with talent.

downside is we get a lot of garbage, too.

talent aside, none of them have the business savvy to make it happen. just cant seem to make that connect thats gonna grab them a big deal, or at least some good distribution and publicity.

and when that happens, its just time to make music and hope.

all i know is that cricet better drop or i'm driving to otay mesa and dropping a dookie at the front door of siccness hq.

Gas One

May 24, 2006
IMO...

SD Rap is more popular now, than it has EVER been.

a few years ago i wouldnt go to the bay and have someone know who big june is or cee wee 3...grimmie wreck airs in oakland now...take that how you wanna

i went to berkeley and saw a dave moss cd on the rack in rasputins. would that have happened years ago, fuck no.

there was never a rap or die, siccness was sacramento based, no grimmie wreck show, matter fact back in the days cds rarely dropped. and now we have a scene.

dead, iono.

i wouldnt say all that.
it might be dead for someone trying to market san diego rap...because it aint a grind that can be capitalized on right now..

its moving along slow, but much faster than it used to..and i think chipping at it is better than giving up...look how long it took common to blow up....he stuck to his shit and now the niggas gettin grammys and movie deals and platinum albums..

but before that fame there was 3-4 albums that were respected in the underground but really made no money, yknow..

i think we need to start shooing more videos too