SAN DIEGO RAP IS IT OVER???

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

Gas One

May 24, 2006
Downtown, Pittsburg. Southeast Dago.
did something happen at that mic check show?

i was gon' go, too...

san diego rap isnt dead you trippin

yall niggas got new albums from ecay, googie monsta and cricet literally sitting on a shelf, and your talking about san diego rap is dead?

i mean no offense by that but damn

big city, big city conflict..that dosent mean shit is over
if you born and raised in sd its never over

if your talking about the shows that i think you might be talkin about you know they got funk so....yeah..the things you mention ultimately have nothing to do with music...street beef and a flea market..

not the way cutthroats album sounded, shit aint over..

Apr 12, 2005
www.freeloadmp3.com
shit aint over but no one in san diego is gonna go very far...Put it like this mitchy puts in more work then any S.D. artist by a long shot......if he aint made it yet, the ones who sitting on their ass for sure aint gonna make it. Ive noticed majority of rappers in dago just play " I wanna be a rapper"...all they do is record all the time, smoke blunts and ride each others dick, maybe even do a local show or two...that formula there means they going nowhere fast. Thats only part of the equation...the music industry as a whole is aint what it was...so ya cant follow any blueprint....aint one person on this board including rapper tell you what you need to do...Someones got to create a new niche by embracing the internet,and making a new path..or hit them streets real tough and build a buzz....which no one is really doing...It aint just an S.D thing...so rap aint over....artists need to quit putting those fuckin mixtapes out unless you have a name no one wants to buy one. I don't believe it has anything to do with variety....there is a good variety out there..but again lazy artists...they aint got no drive..

CoopDVill

Super Moderator
May 4, 2003
www.facebook.com
Gas One said:
did something happen at that mic check show?

i was gon' go, too...

san diego rap isnt dead you trippin

yall niggas got new albums from ecay, googie monsta and cricet literally sitting on a shelf, and your talking about san diego rap is dead?

i mean no offense by that but damn

big city, big city conflict..that dosent mean shit is over
if you born and raised in sd its never over

if your talking about the shows that i think you might be talkin about you know they got funk so....yeah..the things you mention ultimately have nothing to do with music...street beef and a flea market..

not the way cutthroats album sounded, shit aint over..
i never said it was over and nor do i think its over i was asking a question do you think its over? just read the title its clear as day and believe it or not street funk that carries over into rap shows has alot to do with music no venues to perform at no way to showcase your music for all the artist that depends on this way of getting there music to the masses and what does being from san diego ever have to do with anything u always mention that half of this city aint fom san diego its a military town for crying out loud lol and every city has beef thats nothing new...and i also mention fam mart is not cracking like it use too just as well as the music trader so where in the hell are you gonna sale records at???

like 50 said mitch is hardest working kat from diego so to all the artist that aint on his caliber of hustle what does it say for them and there carrers. just mentioned kno body from diego is gonna go far. we have alot of opinions but what are the solutions? what are you doing that other arent for dago rap? rather your from here or not!!!

and everybody talking about you need to quit putting out mixtapes.
but everybody saying that owns atleast one mixtape and what difference does it make rather its a real album or mixtapes if your music aint selling anyway...mixtape topic always crack me up it all comes down to a matter of opinion in the end anyways if you dont like mixtapes dont buy them the game has changed and you have to change with it...

just my opinion...

and this question is more or so for the not yet established artist not the mitchy's damu ecay's and what not but for the new up and comers trying to make an impression

Apr 2, 2005
Dudes need to travel.I think Mitch used to drive all over the US networkin and shit. Jerry Heller aint gonna be at Fam Mart on a thursday afternoon while you hustlin ya mixtape. Get up, Get out, Get sumthin

Gas One

May 24, 2006
well i dont get paid to market san diego rap to this demographic, so i'm not about to be solving the million dollar question for free...cuz for real, people get paid alot of money to do that shit. so even if i have my suggestions and opinions, cash me out first.

IMO it really dosent matter if street beef carries over to shows and they wont throw events, blah blah. were not gonna be stopping street beef from carrying to that side. IMO the direction of economics in local rap music has little to do with a rapper in a individual sense. People download records to begin with. your coming from the direction of a supplier, and not looking at it in a situation where money dosent matter much (a sd rap fan)

third...san diego is the 4th largest city in america and i dont think you can consider it a 'town'...nor is 'fam mart' strategically located in San Diego to the point where its just going to be the saving grace in rap sales. its one store.

where are you going to sell records at? what does that have to do with the question you posed, "san diego rap is it over" since when does sales dictate if rapping in a city is over, coop?

youre asking this because you work with siccness and you guys drop albums, but thats not our job to figure out...thats why yall get scrill...

and saying no one from san diego is going to go far...i dunno thats hater shit to me. i dont know every rapper individualy to the point where i can just put his destiny in the palm of my hands like that.

i dont have to do shit for san diego rap, if you were asking me personally...im a grafitti writer. this isnt my job. i post my opinions on san diego rap when i have free time.

i dont have a problem with mixtapes. its exposure. mitchy dropped many mixtapes and they were good tools to keeping him instrumental to a so called movement.

but man...yall be lookin at the game like its hella tangible and shit...san diego istoo big for you to be makin gameplans and shit for what they gon' do...its gonna crack how its gonna crack...there is no solution.

if your looking to make hellla money, why the fuck are you a local rapper? start selling heroin and crack, rob some dope dealers, get a good job, but if every SD rapper than put out an album was just thinking about money, albums would have never dropped.

so uh...the question was is san diego rap over...no...

but thinking yall gon get breaded offa us in a easy way..that might be over..
take a few business classes and marketing classes and shit like that if your a rapper and figure it out yaself...

and im not talking to you directly coop im talking in a general sense to anyone who feels that way or even impartially feels that way

cuz even if siccness goes dead broke and quits putting out sd rap, fam bam is destroyed, and music traders go out of business....battleram still gon be makin beats in his pad and googie monsta still gon be freestyling smokign a blunt in the garage, south reese still gon be droppin albums like he used to in the brook for free..jincluding the other some thousand rappers and producers out here......so is san diego rap dead..naw.

i got easttrippin through 50cal giving it to junk and junk giving it to me...not through it bieng distributed by fam bam or music trader..know what i mean?

Apr 12, 2005
www.freeloadmp3.com
let me clarify myself.....I do not think any rapper is gonna go far just playing armchair rapper from home. There is nothing wrong with being local, and I still believe it can be profitable, but as far as making it in the industry standard definition thats what I think....not my wishes...just my opinion.

Gas One

May 24, 2006
well definately..

but thats whats wrong with the psychology of most rappers nowadays..

ask a rapper right now about making a website and he will tell you "why? we dont need a website we have myspace"

put bluntly rappers arent businessmen, marketers, or investors...or the hundreds of other positions put together to enable an artist to reach some sort of financial gain.

the local rapper tends to know nothing about this shit...and just knows how to rap..

theres rappers out there right now that dont even know how to use a computer and they look at that shit like a math book....

rappers gotta start being more than rappers..cuz aint no one gonna help a local rapper until he helps himself..

Gas One

May 24, 2006

CoopDVill

Super Moderator
May 4, 2003
www.facebook.com
let get one thing right im very passionate about this rap shit you can ask anybody i deal wit and everything i do is out of the love for rap period not just SD rap i am a fan first not a supplier so speak for yourself!!! i got a countless collection of cd's.

and to answer your question mr gas uno lol if you dont have an outlet to sale your music how the hell is this rap shit gonna work isnt it about making good music to sale to the masses right? if you dont have an outlet to get to the masses your taking it else where im talking about the market not niggas in there moms garages recording all day and putting there songs on myspace..

and i agree with the traveling because ive done my fair share of hitting the freeways but isnt there a saying if you cant sale at home you cant sale any where?

Gas One

May 24, 2006
its not that you CANT sell rap here, its that there isnt a good place to.

let me correct that, we havent found a good place to.

along with that, you have to market the place.

people didnt go to fam bam because of its unrivaled quality, they went because it was a known place.

things may change, but at the end of the day, i can still get an album...and thats all that matters in my eyes...im not even sure i really care if sd ever blows up or other people can find the album...thats sort ofthe artist and the labels problem, right?

CoopDVill

Super Moderator
May 4, 2003
www.facebook.com
Gas One said:
its not that you CANT sell rap here, its that there isnt a good place to.

let me correct that, we havent found a good place to.

along with that, you have to market the place.

people didnt go to fam bam because of its unrivaled quality, they went because it was a known place.
exactly i agree but no one is going there now and its still a well known spot

Gas One

May 24, 2006
well..i still go to fam bam..because short of going to shows or ordering cds online i have to...i still see people there..but its a flea market...its really no different from how sweetwater swap meet used to be..

i dont know how its going to work, all i know is albums keep coming out regardless of alot of legitimate places to sell them...and thats one thing im thankful for...

one thing id suggest is...rappers..start carrying your own fucking cds...

its a god damn shame when i meet rappers and i cant even buy they cd from them....

one person for instance coop who you may heard of is orko..

you might not see his cds in the stores but you will see HIM everywhere..at every single show and event selling his cds...sometimes for a dollar...just to get people to peep it..and orkos been doing this longer than damn near anyone in sd..

he'll be in different states and cities doing that same thing...so i dunno to me...more gangster rappers need to look at that and keep it pushin out here....

but a gangster rapper in the streets is a target, i guess...

alot of big movements start grassrooted..

Apr 4, 2004
www.myspace.com
that incident aint gonna end dago rap... what is gonna end dago rap, is the faux support these artists get.. everybody gotta burned ecay or mitch cd.. aint nobody goin to the shows.. what u guys gotta do to make this shit flourish is to support it, and help make that scene.. because there is no scene without u san diego.. i see all these outta town muthafuckas talkin on here more bout our artists than our own.. which prolly means our only scene is outta town.. thats why our artists always leave... if u really believe in dago and wanna make it flourish, ull make them moves to support it.. if not we're gonna watch it all die before it even blew..

Gas One

May 24, 2006
^ chuuch

but in a city of 4,000,000 plus people...posting your shows flyer on myspace and siccness is not about to get the whole city there..

and thats how alot of people are doin shit..

i think artists and show promoters get what they put into it..

san diego can only support if theyre aware of it...all that if you build it they will come shit is burnt to me..thats had many stores in san diego shut down...

niggas need to start thinkin about making more creative flyers for parties too...if you got that same flyer with hellapics on it and bgi ass words etc you aint gon' stick out as a party..

CoopDVill

Super Moderator
May 4, 2003
www.facebook.com
Gas One said:
well..i still go to fam bam..because short of going to shows or ordering cds online i have to...i still see people there..but its a flea market...its really no different from how sweetwater swap meet used to be..

i dont know how its going to work, all i know is albums keep coming out regardless of alot of legitimate places to sell them...and thats one thing im thankful for...

one thing id suggest is...rappers..start carrying your own fucking cds...

its a god damn shame when i meet rappers and i cant even buy they cd from them....

one person for instance coop who you may heard of is orko..

you might not see his cds in the stores but you will see HIM everywhere..at every single show and event selling his cds...sometimes for a dollar...just to get people to peep it..and orkos been doing this longer than damn near anyone in sd..

he'll be in different states and cities doing that same thing...so i dunno to me...more gangster rappers need to look at that and keep it pushin out here....

but a gangster rapper in the streets is a target, i guess...

alot of big movements start grassrooted..
man orko is the first rapper i ever met when i moved to san diego me and bruh have history he use to make beats and record in my make shift lab back in the day i was just with him a few weeks ago he introduced me to alot of ppl in this SD rap shit i owe alot to that guy as far as a few things go. but yea your right these local artist need to stop acting hollywood like they cant promote there own albums and shows i totally agree..

Gas One

May 24, 2006
first rapper you met in sd? shit that says alot right there lol

yeah orkos the homie....i respect him for some of the same reasons..and you know what, every time i see him i buy a cd....and he always has a new cd for me to cop....

yeah they gotta start gettin out there more.....for real..

and not just to gangsta rap shows..
mitchy slick got such a huge standing ovation at rock the bells (a backpacker/underground event for the most part) for a reason....

they like local gangsta rap too but they dont know where to find it...or even about these shows that are posted on siccness..

as a matter of fact you know what, most people from out of city who like sds gangsta rap aint even into gangsta rap real hard...they like backpacker shit and like th gangster rap here because its more lyrical than the shit theyre used to.