SAN DIEGO RAP IS IT OVER???

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Aug 15, 2002
i was out of town this weekend...which events got messed up...i aint see nothin in the paper...damn its a shame either way...i try to support as many artists as i can as much as i can

Aug 23, 2005
ITS MORE ABOUT A SUPPORT STRUCTURE THEN ANYTHING.THAT MEANS BY DJ`s ,MEDIA AND FANS. ITS MORE ARTIST IN SD THAT DONT SUPPORT OTHER ARTIST THEN MOST PLACES.NO ONE WANTS TO SEE THE CITY SHINE AS A WHOLE, JUST THEY HOMIES. TO MANY RAPPERS or CHIEFS AND NOT ENOUGH INDIANS or FANS. WHEN DAGO CAN LOOK PASS ITS DIFFERENCES AND EMBRASS ITS MUSICAL POWER MOVERS ITS GONNA BLOW SKY HIGH.YET BEING A SOUTHERN CALIFORIA CITY THE PEOPLE WILL NOT EXCEPT A HEAD FIGURE WITHOUT STREET CRED. SO THE AVERAGE JOE RAP CATS THATS JUST LIRICAL ARE NOT IN A POSITION TO BRAKE THE CITY OPEN TO MAINSTREAM STARDOM. SAN DIEGO WILL NOT EXCEPT THAT IMAGE AS WHO ITS STREETS ARE OR WHAT NIGGA`s REP LIKE. SAN DIEGO IS MORE COMFORTABLE WITH A GANGSTA PERSONA. NOW LOOK AT THE OPTIONS AND SEE THE DIVISION AND WHY SAN DIEGAINS HATE ON ONE ANOTHER POLITICALLY STREET WISE. NOW RE READ THE FIRT PART OF THIS WITH A CLOSER UNDERSTANDING OF THE CITY`s HIP HOP SUPERSTAR DILIMA.

Jun 26, 2007
ITS ALL ON HOW YOU NETWERK AS FAR AS SD MAKING IT MAINSTREAM JAYO DID THAT BUT I DONT WHUT HAPPEN LOL AS TOO JUST DOIN IT LOCAL MAYNE EVRYBODY BUMP EVRYBODY BUT GETTN BURNT OR THEY DONT WANNA GIVE NO PLAY CUZ OF GANG AFFILATION I COULD GO ON N ON MAYNE
WIT REASON WHY WHY WHY..
BUT TILL WE INCORPARATE SOMETHING BIG IT AINT GON HAPPEN..
STRENGTH IN NUMBERS FOLX...
HUNNIT

Jun 12, 2002
www.sosickproductions.com
Triv I'll get some of yall shit off In the middle mane - fux wit me - They always lookin 4 something different out here u got all types of Music. This the real melting spot-where muthafuckas still buy cdz!! I'm all 4 the promtoting -jus don't come wack wit it!!!!!!

Oct 26, 2006
WWW.DAGOSD.COM
HERES SOME IDEAS OF WHY I THINK DAGO AINT BLOWING UP..
The reasons why this city I love may never make it happen. and you can repost them if you like.

San Diego isn't that large of a Rap city. San Antonio and Phoenix are bigger cities.

San Diego was never considered a music town.
When the music use to sell well. San Diego was ranked 100th as far as the sales of music.
San Diego was the only place that didn't sell out.
San Diego is on the map. It's just for rock. There a lot of rock bands that come from here and sell a lot of music and are world known.

Too much of the gang mentality. That why West Cost rap fell off. Its hard to do shows if you have people always trying to fight or shoot up the place. Then you have to deal with the police not wanting shows because of the gang shit that use to happen.

If you are an active gangster you shouldn't be on the mic. That should be for the artist.

People forgot that you need to be a artist. See above.

People are all about bizzness and not about Business. Alot of people don't take the time to learn the business side of things. Sure they heard of soundscan but do they know how it works? Do they know what BDS is?
Do they know to get their music on iTunes?
Making threats to a radio PD for not playing your music is very dumb.
Asking Billy Blast to play your song is dumb.

Just because you have wack PC and a cracked version of FL Studio. You are not a producer.
Just because you have Pro Tools doesn't mean you have a studio.

People need to learn how to make a song. Learn song structure. Learn how many bars are in a verse, chorus, Cut down on the ad libs or use em right.

People need to learn how to record, mix and master. All of you fools who talk about having money. Your songs show me that you are broke.

Stop making songs just about: Money, Hoes, cars, gun & jail. Come up with something new and maybe people will respond to it since you would stand out.
Stop only making Mixtapes and learn to make good ALBUMS!

The streets don't sell music. Most buyers of rap music are white kids and a lot of them are not buying rap music like they use to because it not moving them most rappers not real and they know it. So they are buying rock music again.

That's just off the top of my head.

Apr 6, 2004
SAN DIEGO . THE TYPE OF MUSIC THAT COMES FROM HERE HOMIES IS
AUTHENTIC . YEA , THE MAJORITY OF HIP HOP MUSIC THAT GETS PUMPED OUT OF HERE IS SO-CALLED " GANGSTER RAP " . BUT IT IS WHAT IT IS .
FIFTY CENT WAS RHYMIN ABOUT THE SAME SHYT ON " POWER OF THE DOLLAR " BEFORE HE BLEW UP . SO WAS SNOOP . SAN DIEGO KILLA CAL .. KEEP DOIN' WHAT YOU DOIN' ... HOPE ALOT OF MY HOMIES ON HERE GET THEY'RE SHINE SOMEDAY .

Nov 14, 2006
CRHYMES said:
Most buyers of rap music are white kids and a lot of them are not buying rap music like they use to because it not moving them most rappers not real and they know it. So they are buying rock music again.QUOTE]

I dont know about the whole goin back to buying rock music thing, but you gotta make yourself available to the "white audience." Because they aint gonna be roaming through fambam lookin for cds to buy and if they dont already know about u, how are they gonna find out? There are a few SD artists makin moves to do this already. But like Mitchy said if your gonna be in this business u have to put a lot of money into it and do it a 100%, u cant half ass it. Market to your white audience as well as the streets.

CoopDVill

Super Moderator
May 4, 2003
www.facebook.com
CRHYMES said:
HERES SOME IDEAS OF WHY I THINK DAGO AINT BLOWING UP..
The reasons why this city I love may never make it happen. and you can repost them if you like.

San Diego isn't that large of a Rap city. San Antonio and Phoenix are bigger cities.

San Diego was never considered a music town.
When the music use to sell well. San Diego was ranked 100th as far as the sales of music.
San Diego was the only place that didn't sell out.
San Diego is on the map. It's just for rock. There a lot of rock bands that come from here and sell a lot of music and are world known.

Too much of the gang mentality. That why West Cost rap fell off. Its hard to do shows if you have people always trying to fight or shoot up the place. Then you have to deal with the police not wanting shows because of the gang shit that use to happen.

If you are an active gangster you shouldn't be on the mic. That should be for the artist.

People forgot that you need to be a artist. See above.

People are all about bizzness and not about Business. Alot of people don't take the time to learn the business side of things. Sure they heard of soundscan but do they know how it works? Do they know what BDS is?
Do they know to get their music on iTunes?
Making threats to a radio PD for not playing your music is very dumb.
Asking Billy Blast to play your song is dumb.

Just because you have wack PC and a cracked version of FL Studio. You are not a producer.
Just because you have Pro Tools doesn't mean you have a studio.

People need to learn how to make a song. Learn song structure. Learn how many bars are in a verse, chorus, Cut down on the ad libs or use em right.

People need to learn how to record, mix and master. All of you fools who talk about having money. Your songs show me that you are broke.

Stop making songs just about: Money, Hoes, cars, gun & jail. Come up with something new and maybe people will respond to it since you would stand out.
Stop only making Mixtapes and learn to make good ALBUMS!

The streets don't sell music. Most buyers of rap music are white kids and a lot of them are not buying rap music like they use to because it not moving them most rappers not real and they know it. So they are buying rock music again.

That's just off the top of my head.
the boy always got good words!!!

Oct 26, 2006
WWW.DAGOSD.COM
COOPDVILL said:
the boy always got good words!!!
NO DOUBT COOP, IVE BEEN TALKING TO A FEW OF MY PEERS LIKE WIZ, GANGSTA GOLD AND FEW OTHERS. WE BELIEVE WE SHOULD ORGANIZE A CONFRENCE WHERE WE AS ARTIST CAN SET IDEAS IN MOTION, INSTEAD OF JUST TALKING ABOUT IT OR BLOGGING OR WHUTEVER THE FUCK... IM CALLING OUT TO OTHER BIG SD ARTIST SUCH AS MITCHY, JAYO, LIL UNO AND EVERY ONE ELSE HOLDING IT DOWN. WE HAVE TO COME TOGETHER AND USE OUR POWER TO COME UP WITH SOLUTIONS TO THESE BULLSHIT PROBLEMS IN THIS SD RAP ''SCENE''. SOMETHING HAS TO BE DONE.

Rasan

Producer
May 17, 2002
Chula Vista, South Bay, San Diego, California
CRHYMES said:
NO DOUBT COOP, IVE BEEN TALKING TO A FEW OF MY PEERS LIKE WIZ, GANGSTA GOLD AND FEW OTHERS. WE BELIEVE WE SHOULD ORGANIZE A CONFRENCE WHERE WE AS ARTIST CAN SET IDEAS IN MOTION, INSTEAD OF JUST TALKING ABOUT IT OR BLOGGING OR WHUTEVER THE FUCK... IM CALLING OUT TO OTHER BIG SD ARTIST SUCH AS MITCHY, JAYO, LIL UNO AND EVERY ONE ELSE HOLDING IT DOWN. WE HAVE TO COME TOGETHER AND USE OUR POWER TO COME UP WITH SOLUTIONS TO THESE BULLSHIT PROBLEMS IN THIS SD RAP ''SCENE''. SOMETHING HAS TO BE DONE.
i agree with this. but we would need heavy security lol
to answer the coop's question. is SD rap over? hmmm...
times have changed. downloading is at a all time high. rap record sales are at an all time low. music has changed. the demographic is now 13-17 year olds, and they rather listen to soulja boy and mims than listen to ecay uno and mitch. even if you a cat just getting started, its hard cuz all the garbage that has come out has saturated the game, that people don't care. however..as stated, i do believe, if cats were to get out there, hit the road, network with cats all over the U.S., things would crack. there's people in the bay area who know who big june is for example...its all about grinding at this point. you can't just have your project sell itself in the store. people too lazy and too cheap to buy cd's now. so you gotta get in they face with it, promote, and travel...
also it is not cheap to duplicate cd's either. for artwork, studio time, pressing, promo..you lookin at at least 3-5 racks, and thats the minimum, if you want a professional looking and sounding product. I think thats what hurts SD too, cats take too many shortcuts. but you get what you pay for.
as far as the "gangsta' image we have, people miss that style of rap. there is a market out there for it. people miss the funky production, with the live instrumentation, the talkboxes etc..you just gotta let the masses know its out there. imo.

Oct 9, 2004
VIOLENCE IN RAP NEVER ENDS IT HAPPENDS EVERYWHERE, IVE SEEN A FEW SHOWS GET SHUT DOWN UP IN THE NORTHWEST OVER SUM BULLSHIT BRAWLS. SAN DIEGO WILL GET ITS SPOT TO BLOW, THINK OF IT THIS WAY IN THE 90'S THE WEST COAST BLEW THE FUCK UP! IN THE 2000'S NOW IT'S ALL THAT CRUNK SOUTH RAP U SEE ON TV. IM SURE IN THE 2010'S S.D. WILL HAVE IT'S SPOT UP THERE SHIT JUS TAKES TIME TO EVOLVE LIKE PLANTING SUM PURPLE SEEDS N WAITIN FOR THE FUCKIN THING TO GROW SO U CAN SMOKE IT. SAN DIEGO HAS ITS OWN WEST COAST GANGSTA STYLE SORTA LIKE L.A. DID IN THE 90'S, DAYGO HAS BLOWN UP THO WITH CHICANO RAP, LIKE ALL THE CHICANO RAPPERS THEY HAVE HERE IN DAYGO FANS IN BOISE IDAHO GO CRAZY OVER THAT SHIT WHENEVER LIL ROB HITS THE TOWN N DOES SHOWS THERE. COMPARE SAN DIEGO TO SAN FRANCISCO HOW MANY CATS U SEE BLOWIN UP IN FRISCO?? MEYBE A FEW LIKE JT BIGGA FIGGA, THEY DID THAT MTV MYBLOCK SHIT ABOUT THE BAY LAST YEAR EVERYONE KNOWS E40, EVERYONE KNOWS WHO JAYO FELONY IS, GIVE IT SUM TIME MEYBE JAYO-FELONY WOULD COME UP WITH A NEW TREND & DAYGO WOULD BLOW THE FUCK UP! YOU CAN ASK SOME PPL THAT ONLY LISTEN TO SHIT OFF BET OR MTV ABOUT SUM S.D. RAPPERS N THEY'LL TELL U YEAH IVE HEARD OF THEM THAT SHIT BUMPS.

Apr 12, 2005
www.freeloadmp3.com
Rasan said:
as far as the "gangsta' image we have, people miss that style of rap. there is a market out there for it. people miss the funky production, with the live instrumentation, the talkboxes etc..you just gotta let the masses know its out there. imo.
I agree 100%, but what is funny you will get rappers come on the threads saying we have to evolve, we gotta rap different, even when fans continually say they miss that style....can you go double platinum off it? probably not but there is a market. Remember that demographic of fan was the ones who actually purchased music, and helped the West Coast shine. Why cater to the young fans who may not be lifetime rap fans and are more likely to download your shit? Build a loyal fan base who will support all your music, when you switch up you may end up losing that loyalty cause that fan will move on and find somebody whose gonna give it to em how they want it.