*The Official WORLD CHAMPIONS SF Giants Offseason Thread*

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 12, 2004

first re-signing and im happy to hear it:

Giants, Affeldt Agree To Three-Year Deal
By Steve Adams [November 12 at 7:32pm CST]

The Giants and left-hander Jeremy Affeldt have reached an agreement on a three-year deal that will be worth around $18MM, according to Jon Heyman of CBS Sports.

The 33-year-old Affeldt was a critical component to the Giants 2012 World Series title, pitching to a 2.70 ERA, 8.1 K/9 and 3.3 BB/9 with a sky-high 59.9 percent ground-ball rate in 63 1/3 innings. Unlike many southpaws, Affeldt was effective against both right-handed (.656 OPS) and left-handed batters (.621 OPS).

The price for free agent relievers appears to be high early this offseason, as the Giants' NL West rivals recently signed Brandon League to a three-year deal worth $22.5MM. Affeldt has been with the Giants since signing a two-year contract as a free agent in November of 2008. He is represented by Moye Sports Associates, as shown in MLBTR's Agency Database.

It was first reported late last week that the Giants were discussing a new contract with Affeldt. He ranked 50th on Tim Dierkes' list of Top 50 free agents. Tim correctly predicted a reunion with the Giants, as did Ben Nicholson-Smith. A look at the contest leaderboard shows that the rest of the writing team, myself included, swung and missed on Affeldt's destination.

With Affeldt secured, the Giants' biggest decision pertaining to their bullpen will now likely be whether or not to tender former closer Brian Wilson a contract following his Tommy John surgery.
Read more at MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com

Last edited:

prodigy91

@jordvnxsf
Mar 20, 2008
SF
Beat me to making the thread breh.. Nice to hear affeldt got resigned but 3 years and 18 mill is way too long and too much. I thought he would get 2 years 6-8 mill max. He hasn't been able to repeat his 2009 season and has been slowly declining since. The funk he got in 2011 wasn't major but he had a bigger funk this season that lasted more than last year. Don't get me wrong I'm glad he's back, I just hope those funks he gets in aren't a reoccurring theme for the upcoming seasons. Now sign Scutaro and Theriot ASAP!

Feb 12, 2004
He earned his contract in the playoffs. Dude was nasty as FUCK. Not to mention he did it in 2010 as well so you know he shows up when it matters most. Hopefully he can compliment his post season play with consistent play in the regular season.

Hopefully we hear about Scutaro soon. I have a feeling Pagan won't be back tho.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2011
i really hope we sign both of them. they both played great in the playoffs and are not to old. hopefully they take less money knowing we could have something great. on another note im still waiting for my giants championship stuff from yahoo sports store they take foreverrrr lol

Props: prodigy91
Dec 4, 2011
H @haNk schulman I'm hearing the #SFGiants checked in on Torii Hunter and Shane Victorino. They'll need a good defensive CF if Pagan bolts. Giants fairly confident they will sign Scutaro. Pagan seemingly wants to play the field.

if pagan leave's i think Torii could step in and be great for us. shane sucks, did not look good at all with the dodgers but Torii

Jan 12, 2006
Second to none!

Dear World Champion Giants Fan,

After the final out of our World Series Championship in Detroit, I watched our players toss their gloves in the air and howl and leap onto each other and hug and wipe away tears. I have been watching and rooting for the Giants almost since birth. I have never seen a team like this one. They were utterly selfless and utterly devoted to each other. They never stopped battling, clawing their way back from the brink of elimination six times in the postseason. Every game was a Frank Capra movie - inspiring heroics, unlikely twists, hard-fought redemption.

As I watched manager Bruce Bochy and his staff spill onto the field, I imagined what was happening in San Francisco. All of us who traveled to Detroit - including every player and coach - knew Coit Tower, the Ferry Building and City Hall were awash in orange light. We knew that fans had filled every inch of Civic Center Plaza to watch Game 4. We knew that throughout the Bay Area, living rooms and pubs were packed with people wearing Panda and Baby Giraffe hats, fake beards and "Vogelstrong" bracelets.

We also knew that no matter how talented the players or how ingenious the manager, no team can win a World Series Championship - much less two in three years - without a little magic.

Our magic is you.

I wish you could hear how our players talk about you, not just with each other but also with players on other teams. Brandon Belt says base runners on first base tell him they've never heard a park as loud as AT&T. Hunter Pence says that Giants fans are "the ultimate motivator.'' Matt Cain calls you their 10th player.

So believe me when I tell you this: Our players carried all of you with them onto the field at Comerica Park. And they were unbeatable.

Like 2010, this World Series Championship was truly a shared victory. So it was humbling during the parade last Wednesday to see fans holding signs saying "Thank You!'' The gratitude is ours. We don't win without you. You filled AT&T Park every game. You supported the players and coaches through the highs and lows. You flooded onto Market Street and into Civic Center Plaza in a celebration that felt like the world's biggest family reunion.

We came away from that unforgettable afternoon even more inspired and energized - and immediately got working on 2013.

Critical to any championship team is the general manager, and in Brian Sabean we have one of the most accomplished in the business. He and his staff continue to be the modern model for baseball operations departments, combining cutting-edge analytics with deeply experienced and stable leadership. With two World Series Championships in three years, Brian solidified his reputation for drafting and developing young talent, finding undervalued players who become critical contributors and constructing a deep and versatile roster.

He has the perfect partner in Bruce Bochy, now universally acknowledged as a master strategist who, having won eight of the nine Giants World Series games he has managed, is surely on his way to a spot in Cooperstown. The 2012 World Series starting lineup had just one position player - Buster Posey - in common with the 2010 World Series starting lineup, underscoring Sabean's ability to identify players who fit the Giants' approach to winning - strong pitching, outstanding defense and timely hitting - and Bochy's ability to meld them into a cohesive unit.

We move into 2013 with great excitement and optimism. The pitching staff - both starters and relievers -continues to be the strength of the team. Matt Cain, the anchor of the staff, keeps getting better, pitching a one-hitter on the home opener, a perfect game on June 13 and earning the win as the starting pitcher in the All-Star Game. He is signed through 2017, ensuring leadership and stability for a long time to come. We have all the starters signed for 2013: Barry Zito, Ryan Vogelsong, Madison Bumgarner and Tim Lincecum. Most of our stellar bullpen will be back, too.

Homegrown players Brandon Crawford and Brandon Belt emerged as solid starters, joining Pablo Sandoval and Buster Posey as core position players who give the Giants a strong foundation into the future. After missing a year to a devastating injury, Buster reclaimed his spot among the elite players in baseball and as the heart and soul of the Giants. He was nothing short of remarkable this season, leading all of baseball with his .336 batting average, leading all National League players with a single-season record of 7,621,370 votes in the All-Star balloting, hit a grand slam in the decisive Game 5 against the Cincinnati Reds to clinch the NLDS, won the Hank Aaron Award as the best offensive player in the National League and was the NL Comeback Player of the Year. He is a finalist for the NL's Most Valuable Player, which will be announced tomorrow, November 15.

Despite two stints on the disabled list this season, Pablo showed his star power by hitting three home runs in his first three at-bats of the World Series, batted .500 during the four-game sweep and earning the Series' Most Valuable Player Award.

In all, we are now accustomed to high expectations and rest assured, the day after we returned from Detroit with the World Series trophy, we were back at work analyzing ways to make the 2013 team even better.

On behalf of Brian, Bruce, the players and everyone at the San Francisco Giants, thank you for your tireless support. Thank you for taking us into your lives like family. Thank you for making us better.

We look forward to seeing you at FanFest in February!

Laurence M. Baer President and Chief Executive Officer San Francisco Giants

Jun 12, 2003
there new giants fan evrywhere now lol...iv been a giants fan since birth...but as u can see by my post count..i dont post much,, even when they won 2010,,jus to lazy,, but i follow my giants on knbr dailey at work...go giants tho lol

Feb 12, 2004
No info yet but its looking like he wants a long, big money contract and I personally dont think the Giants will give in. I'd give him the money, but not the years. 3 years tops IMO.

Scutaro is probably next in-line for a contract and its looking it will be a 2 year deal.