Does Young Money own Big Von & KMEL?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Dec 26, 2004
www.slapmaster.net
ways to get on the radio -

1. You can either be dope/make hits and create a REAL mass fan base that supports and consistently calls and request to here your song daily. I mean thousands of people/fans... not 100 friends.

or

2. You can pay to have your song played by buying advertising space.... but with out a fanbase or real local mass fan support your just wasting money.

I mean if you got 1000 kids calling to request Lil Wayne in a day

and 15 request to hear John Doe in a day what do you think the station is going to do ?

Feb 7, 2006
thats all cool and all but radio, club DJ's have really taken the sheep role when they are supposed to be the shepards. they not just supposed to play the same ol 10 "hot songs" 24/7 they supposed to show the people what is hot and somewhat dictate lead the crowd.

Dec 28, 2009
Commercial radio doesn't play what the people want to hear. They play what they want people to hear. The good news is that technology will eliminate the need for fm radio in the future. Fuck the radio.

Rossibreath

triple og from the sbp
Sep 1, 2005
Menasha
Pretty sure all they care about is getting as many listeners as possible so businesses pay them for advertising. Hence playing popular songs. Make a popular song and I promise they'll play it.

Jan 18, 2006
the problem is a radio hit these days is a lot gayer then it was in the 90's. Freddie Gibbs is a good example of a talented mothafucka that will not have a radio hit cuz his content is to real. Blame Clear Channel first and foremost.

Dec 28, 2009
if that was true........... Then why would people pay "radio promoters" for radio play?

If radio only wanted to play the most popular songs then don't u think they would be paying the artists to play their songs instead of making artists pay for radio play?

Dec 2, 2006
Corprorate America, IE, those with the BIG money, play the numbers game. They find an artist they feel is capable of making them a return on their investment and incorporate a machine of people behind their label. In order to sell a million records an artist needs to have a $1,000,000 behind them, minimum. Young Money has that multiplied by 10 atleast. Independent artists can make a splash and do their thing but $5,000-$10,000 is not going to do much. It may be enough to create a buzz in an area or part of the Bay though. Comparing Bay artists to Young Money isn't even fair, I mean really.

The Radio plays who is making people the most money at the end of the day. That is how it works any way you cut it. Artists need to look at the business aspect. We all know their is some cash involved, not necessarily as direct payola, but the jobs it creates. Business is business and that is the reality of the industry. Don't be mad, step your knowledge up. And believe it or not, regardless of your subjective opinion, The numbers speak for themselves. The radio plays who the people want to hear.

Dec 26, 2004
www.slapmaster.net
Commercial radio doesn't play what the people want to hear. They play what they want people to hear. The good news is that technology will eliminate the need for fm radio in the future. Fuck the radio.
They play what the demographic wants to hear. Im sure you grew up on latin rap, mob music, ect ect (I could be wrong) and u have a different taste then the majority out there (meaning the youth). The radio plays what people are e-questing, requesting, and whats got a "big buzz" and fan following out side of our region. You say fuck the radio but yet your a hip hop artist who is struggling like the rest of us and would probably jump at the first chance to get your song played on KMEL home turf if they picked your song. This aint no conspiracy.... I have no real solid ties with KMEL or the Djs, but I send music to the right emails and some how I was still able to get alot of songs played on the station...even to the present. I sent in "So High" by Plane Jane & St Spittin and now its been played just about every other day for the past 2 weeks. They look for good music if its given to them properly.

Feb 10, 2004
www.twitter.com
Corprorate America, IE, those with the BIG money, play the numbers game. They find an artist they feel is capable of making them a return on their investment and incorporate a machine of people behind their label. In order to sell a million records an artist needs to have a $1,000,000 behind them, minimum. Young Money has that multiplied by 10 atleast. Independent artists can make a splash and do their thing but $5,000-$10,000 is not going to do much. It may be enough to create a buzz in an area or part of the Bay though. Comparing Bay artists to Young Money isn't even fair, I mean really.

The Radio plays who is making people the most money at the end of the day. That is how it works any way you cut it. Artists need to look at the business aspect. We all know their is some cash involved, not necessarily as direct payola, but the jobs it creates. Business is business and that is the reality of the industry. Don't be mad, step your knowledge up. And believe it or not, regardless of your subjective opinion, The numbers speak for themselves. The radio plays who the people want to hear.

^^^=Marketability

mar·ket·a·ble 
adjective
1.readily salable.
2. of or pertaining to selling or buying: marketable values; marketable areas.

Also, this is not a Big Von/Kmel thing this is a Universal Music Group/Clear Channel thing. To make it simple, its the reason the Yankees are always the top story on Sportcenter event though the Giants won the World Series.

Our problem is not with Big Von its with Bay's "music industry". I met Von for around the time of the 1st New Bay movement. What he told me was true before, then, and now. The problem with us is that people are not on top of business. The most successful rappers in the bay have their business in order. Von may like a song and want to give a local artist a shot, but if they don't have a business team it is no use, because that is proof that they are not prepared to go anywhere after their 1 song blows up on KMEL. The bottom line is that he's watched too many people blow their chance.

Dec 28, 2009
They play what the demographic wants to hear. Im sure you grew up on latin rap, mob music, ect ect (I could be wrong) and u have a different taste then the majority out there (meaning the youth). The radio plays what people are e-questing, requesting, and whats got a "big buzz" and fan following out side of our region. You say fuck the radio but yet your a hip hop artist who is struggling like the rest of us and would probably jump at the first chance to get your song played on KMEL home turf if they picked your song. This aint no conspiracy.... I have no real solid ties with KMEL or the Djs, but I send music to the right emails and some how I was still able to get alot of songs played on the station...even to the present. I sent in "So High" by Plane Jane & St Spittin and now its been played just about every other day for the past 2 weeks. They look for good music if its given to them properly.
thats good that you have found a way to get some radio play. i just say fuck the radio cause they aint fucking with me so i aint fucking with them.lol. but if they played my shit i would show love.

but the point is.......... the radio stations play the same bullshit over and over and over. if they truly played what the listeners want to hear then their playlist would be more diverse then the 20 songs they play over and over. you say they play "so high" every other day compared to playing the same songs every half hour. there are so many great songs that there is no reason a radio station should play the same songs over and over. i mean seriously. if the only thing on tv to watch was reruns of friends and mash and a few other shows i dont like.............. then what choice do i have? and if i could request to watch one show i dont like over another show i dont like then what kind of choice is that? so it basically comes down to a lack of variety for me with the radio.

you assume i grew up listening to latin rap? thats like me assuming you grew up listening to caucasion rap. lol

May 21, 2006
How does Von ruin the careers of people who don't make hit records? Hits are hits.
It's not just about the hits obviously, it's about the promotion and money for the spins. I can name a bunch of local stuff that could have been "hits" but didn't expand outside of cali b/c it wasn't supported by a major record label.
look at "Put Me On" by Laroo for example, that could of went big.
look at "Glamorous Lifestyle" by Jacka, Andre Nickatina, could of went bigger.
just a couple of examples right there.
Shit, when are they not playing a Wayne/Drake/Minaj & co. song? Kinda like how Roc-A-Fella or G-Unit dominated a few years back. Payola is still alive and well. And is it just me or has old ass Von ruined the careers of more than one Bay artist and the landscape in general over the last 12 years? Is it time for him to go?
It's not Big Von fault. It's most likely the guys above them that are probably controling what goes for spins and what doesn't. Ever since the Clear Channel bought out KMEL, we lost "Street Soldiers" which was a show for the youth in our community. Also Davey D got fired for playing "sensitive" songs after 9/11. Plus, ever since Clear Channel, there has been no local play at all until the recent show of "hometurf" which is 11pm-midnite on fridays. Big Von showed local artists like Jacka love for the "Street Album" mixtape that he mixed. He also mixed Kaz Kyzah's "Go-Fessionial". That right there shows he still has support for the local stuff.