WHY THE WEST COAST FELL OFF.

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 10, 2002
Playa510 said:
FOR YOU RETARDS THAT THINK IT AINT THE MEDIAS FAULT FOR THE WEST NOT GETTING ANY LOVE, WHY AINT THERE HARDLY ANYBODY FROM NORTHERN CALI IN THE SOURCE, WHY AINT HARDLY ANYONE FROM HERE ON RAP CITY, WHY IS MURDER DOG THE ONLY MAGAZINE THAT SHOWCASES OUR ARTISTS, WHENS THE LAST TIME YOU SEEN A BAY AREA ARTIST ON MTV BESIDES 40?????

YOU CAN BELIEVE YOUR BULLSHIT THAT WERE TRYING TO MASTER THE SAME SOUND BEAT FROM 10 YEARS AGO, BUT WHAT KIND OF BEAT WOULD YOU RATHER LISTEN TO THAT EAST COAST AND DOWN SOUTH GARBAGE OR A TIGHT WEST COAST BEAT,

AND LOOK AT THE MAINSTREAM IT SEEMS LIKE YOU HAVE TO SELL OUT WORSE THEN EVER JUST TO GET RADIO PLAY, I MEAN ALWAYS SINGING ON THE CHORUS'S NOW, WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO HARDCORE RAP ON THE MAINSTREAM LEVEL, ITS GONE AND MAY NEVER BE SEEN AGAIN!!!!
Let me explain somethin dog...if you take 1,000 muthafuckas from all over the country...Seattle,San Diego,Sac,Houston,Kansas City,Minneapolis,Atlanta,Boston,NY & Miami...and ask them what they would prefer to hear..."E-40 or 50 Cent"...what the fuck you think they gonna say?50 Cent...and you know why?Cus he gets radip play...and you know why?Cus muthafuckas CAN DANCE TO HIS SHIT...THATS why he gets radio and play on MTV...cus it breaks down to groovin to the beat...happy times...dancin...gettin down.A majority of the people who listen to hip-hop...dont wanna hear a mithafucka kill 10,000 cats on one track...or sellin 50 birds to the Columbians.Thats why you never see those types of songs on MTV or on the radio.How many Bay/Northern Cali artists gettin down like that?Ganga radio cuts on they albums...and talk more about hookin up with chicks...then sellin keys and doin "Mafia style killins"...cmon dog...know the game...you wanna get paid...you gotta conform to the radio...to the MASSES...thats what they want...

Feb 6, 2003
www.cdbaby.com
You guys gotta remember we are dealing with a new geration of rap consumers! Do you think these kids care about reppin for the bay? Tha game is not like it used to be, were we would go searching for the most underground shit we can find. Us older cats who have seen the bay area market go thru a transition just sit back and get heated because it is frustrating. Killa Tay is right about alot of things. The Question is how do we get the bay back?? Well, I think it's gonna take the people behind the scenes. Initially, not the artist but the people who make the deals happen. That one person is...Wendy Day. For those of you who don't know her credentials, this is gonna sound really stupied. She is the one that can come out here and take a couple artist or labels and get them signed to major shit and cause that chain reaction which we have seen so many times to a region for rap music. Wendy Day needs to get her ass out here and work her magic, becuase preatty much the whole industry has lost faith in the bay, and worst yet so have it's own artist.

Jun 29, 2002
www.sicflow.com
Its all about who you know not what you know...........

The west coast needs better business tactics. Ain't nobody from the west goin to go major unless they get a manager/agent to represent them on the major level. No major will even take the time to listen to your shit if you just send them a cd. You need representation. And the only way they'll come at you is if you're sound scanning thousands and thousands of sales independitly.
Unity also is a big factor. The downloading on the internet is also another big factor, but we can't keep comin up with excusses because the wack ass east coast is blowing up despite all this.
Just keep supporting underground music from the west coast and hopefully soon someone will blow up and bring the rest of the talented peeps from the west wit them.

Nov 28, 2002
KILLA TAY said:
I AM A VET OUT HERE IN THE STREETS & THE MUSIC BIZ...I KNOW EVERY RAPPER FROM 40 2 SHORT 2 WHOEVER,THEY AREN'T AS HAPPY AS YOU THINK THEY ARE....I STILL SAY IT'S LACK OF UNITY

You said it homie. Shit like "The Murder Show" was bay unity. You got sac cats, pittsburg cats, oakland cats, valley cats, frisco cats, and cats from all parts of the bay coming together to put out a project. I wish more artists would come together for shit like this. I think if there was more time put in artists product, the sales would no doubt be higher. Support the underground...1

og MS

Member since 1997
Apr 25, 2002
www.killavalley.com
If your team ain't winning, you gotta be smart enough to know when to change the players if you ever want to get a ring. The west needs to be rebuilt from the ground up. Period. Cats are ready for new faces and a new sound.

real talk...

if you wanna appeal to the masses... you gotta have that mass appeal in your music... from the concept of the song down to the production of it.

Jun 12, 2002
Purebred Hogg said:

Let me explain somethin dog...if you take 1,000 muthafuckas from all over the country...Seattle,San Diego,Sac,Houston,Kansas City,Minneapolis,Atlanta,Boston,NY & Miami...and ask them what they would prefer to hear..."E-40 or 50 Cent"...what the fuck you think they gonna say?50 Cent...and you know why?Cus he gets radip play...and you know why?Cus muthafuckas CAN DANCE TO HIS SHIT...THATS why he gets radio and play on MTV...cus it breaks down to groovin to the beat...happy times...dancin...gettin down.A majority of the people who listen to hip-hop...dont wanna hear a mithafucka kill 10,000 cats on one track...or sellin 50 birds to the Columbians.Thats why you never see those types of songs on MTV or on the radio.How many Bay/Northern Cali artists gettin down like that?Ganga radio cuts on they albums...and talk more about hookin up with chicks...then sellin keys and doin "Mafia style killins"...cmon dog...know the game...you wanna get paid...you gotta conform to the radio...to the MASSES...thats what they want...
real talk

Feb 17, 2003
records sell 2 who they sell 2...you can't discriminate on topics..& I
like 50 cent but he raps about killin just as much as us...it's the affiliation & promotion..it's also environment..most of us rap about killin & drugs cuz this is what we are surrounded by here in Cali....murder rap was my specialty but I've changed a lot..I'm not out there like that no more but all my fans want 2 hear that from me..that hard core killin shit really ain't in me no more..even though I have some unreleased material on that level..it's interesting 2 see what people think..it's also funny that people support the gimmicks so much..2 each his own.I try 2 surround myself with what's real

Apr 25, 2002
KILLA TAY said:
I like 50 cent but he raps about killin just as much as us...it's the affiliation & promotion..it's also environment..most of us rap about killin & drugs cuz this is what we are surrounded by here in Cali....murder rap was my specialty but I've changed a lot..I'm not out there like that no more but all my fans want 2 hear that from me..that hard core killin shit really ain't in me no more..even though I have some unreleased material on that level..it's interesting 2 see what people think..it's also funny that people support the gimmicks so much..2 each his own.I try 2 surround myself with what's real
Real talk. 50 is a great example of gettin in with the right heads. One thing about him though, is you cant deny his music is hard as fuck.

To me, I really don't get why everyone is sayin "the WestCoast Fell Off." There are plenty of good rappers dropping good releases, its just the sales arent the same. And I think the sales will continue to suffer until someone drops some material that can hit the radio waves.

One thing the West Coast dont have that NY does have is generation after generation bred into hip hop. Here in the bay you have people rappin but you dont have all the outlets, the Battles, the freestyles, the concerts, the producers who have been in the game from years and learned from other great producers. We have a generation gap from the old greats to the new greats. The homies out on the Eastcoast bring their little homies up to a primetime level and teach them everything they need to know. Just something I noticed, may seem a little exaggerated but is true regardless.

Apr 25, 2002
MY OPINION IS LIKE THIS

IF PART OF THE PROBLEM FOR THE BAY RAP SCENE IS OVERPOPULATION BY WACK ARTISTS....THAN FOLKS WITHIN THAT INNER CIRCLE GOTTA START ELIMINATING THEMSELVES AND THERE HOMEBOYZ...YEA..EVERYBODY WANNA GET ON..BUT ONLY A FEW GOT THE STAYING POWER TO LAST....AND ITS LIKE EVERYBODY IS HOMIES..FROM ONE GROUP IN ONE CITY TO ANOTHER GROUP IN THE NEXT CITY..FOOLS ARE NETWORKIN..SO THEY DONT WANT TO TELL THE NEXT DUDE.."YOUR SHIT AINT CRACKIN".."WE ARE FOLKS..BUT GIVE UP THE GAME..YOU ARE SALTING IT UP FOR US WHO DESERVE IT"..THEY FIGURE FUCK IT..LET THIS DUDE WEAR HIMSELF OUT..LONG AS WE COLLABO WITH HIM..WE ARE SPREADING OUR SOUND..AND IT WILL HELP US IN THE BIG SCHEME OF THINGS...TRUTH IS..IT WONT!..YOU GOTTA STAND ON YUR OWN TWO FEET...IF U ASSOCIATING WITH WEAK CATS..THAN THAT REPUTATION WILL RUB OFF ON YOU...

ITS TOO MANY FOLKS TELLIN THE NEXT GUY HES TIGHT...WHEN PEEPS DROP SOME AUDIOS ON THIS WEBSITE ASKIN FOR OPINIONS...THE ONLY ONES THAT WILL HONESTLY MAKE A BIG IMPRESSION IS THOSE FROM FELLOW ARTIST..IF SOME NOBODY WITH A SCREEN NAME "JOEBLOW187" TELLS THE ARTIST THEY ARE THE WEAKEST MUTHAFUCKAZ THEY EVER HEARD AND THEY NEED TO GIVE UP..THAT ARTIST WILL MORE THAN LIKELY TELL HIMSELF ...FUCK THAT FOOL..HE AINT NOBODY..MY SHIT IS TIGHT...BUT IF THE SAME SHIT WAS SAID BY AN ARTIST...THAN THAT OTHER CAT MIGHT ACTUALLY TAKE THE CRITICIZM INTO CONSIDERATION.....THERE IS REALY ABOUT ANOTHER HOURS WORTH OF SHIT I CAN GET INTO BUT I GOTTA BOUNCE....

RESPECTS TO ALL WHO ARE TRYIN TO MAKE IT..WETHER U ARE THE WEAKEST OR THE STRONGEST...AT LEAST YOUR TRYING..JUST KNOW WHEN YOUR TIME COMES TO BOW OUT GRACEFULLY..THAT ITS THE BEST THING FOR THE GAME IN GENERAL..DONT BE SELFISH...THE BAY AREA RAP SCENE IS BIGGER THAN JUST YOU..

Apr 25, 2002
Music is music... Real or not that shit don't matter to most consumers...

I don't think anyone's hating on the Bay, they just ain't feelin this shit. It's not their style, they don't wanna hear it... Just the same as people out here say that they don't like East Coast shit... I been to the East Coast and their used bins are full of albums that people out here consider classic... So they're buying it, hearing it, not liking it and getting rid of it... I wouldn't blame it on no airplay or whatever, there's still a lot of people who ain't feelin the music.

Apr 25, 2002
KILLA TAY said:
like 50 cent but he raps about killin just as much as us...it's the affiliation & promotion..it's also environment..most of us rap about killin & drugs cuz this is what we are surrounded by here in Cali....murder rap was my specialty but I've changed a lot..I'm not out there like that no more but all my fans want 2 hear that from me..that hard core killin shit really ain't in me no more..even though I have some unreleased material on that level..it's interesting 2 see what people think..it's also funny that people support the gimmicks so much..2 each his own.I try 2 surround myself with what's real
on the real, the cats who grew up in the streets are tired of the bullshit...while the fake cats look for it...

if we wanna expand at all, as people artists whatever, we gotta recognize the real and see what we've BEEN DOIN' ain't workin...so let's try somethin different
keep it movin'

May 10, 2002
KILLA TAY said:
Thats all gravy...but you complainin about the West bein down and out right now...well...look what you just typed up.THE WEST AINT APPEALIN TO THE MASSES...so...therefore...you aint gonna get radio play..you aint gonna get spots on TRL...none of that shit...i have no problem with ya spittin real life shit...whatever it might be...but dont bitch and moan about somethin YOU can fix.You want the West to blow?Then you gotta adapt to what the MASSES want...like i said...MOST muthafuckas wanna hear party cuts on the radio...not some MC killin 1,000,000,000 on the same song...that shit dont APPEAL to the people who PAY your pockets.Of course the real muthafuckas who are livin that life and alotta 14 year old kids is gonna love it...expand your horizons dog...Ya dig???If you WANT tha paper...go chase it...but you gotta adapt to whats around you...thats game about LIFE bro...not just this music shit...

BAMMER

Siccness Gray Hair
Apr 25, 2002
Auburn Wa
www.dawgman.com
The Bay's biggest problem is trying to put the Bay on the map.
Doing albums with 14 Bay artists on a solo album,and 8 or 9 of them kats are horrible rappers who should consider gettin another occupation.Get the very best rappers on your artwork.Michael Jordan and Tiger Woods are friends,but Mike don't want Tiger on the Wizards?Artists need to worry about puttin out good product,and promoting it correctly.Time after time the Bay and Los Angeles rappers on a lower level only sign artists from their area,but there's tight ass cats from Denver,Seattle,Las Vegas,etc...who are a million times better than your wack homie.Put them on.
And common sense can tell you that a video that costed 5000.00 dollars to make is'nt gonna get played on B.E.T. more than twice,and surely as fuck ain't gittin on Mtv,so what the fuck you makin a video for?Your better off with commercials on a local level.

Biggest downfall in rap music:EXCESIVE FEATURES
You should have no more than 4 in my opinion.
All the great albums play like a movie,and with features you get 18 skits.

Apr 26, 2002
Bacc In Texas
And common sense can tell you that a video that costed 5000.00 dollars to make is'nt gonna get played on B.E.T. more than twice,and surely as fuck ain't gittin on Mtv,so what the fuck you makin a video for?Your better off with commercials on a local level.
LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!

FO REAL...........................!!!!!!!!!!!

THE SHIT IS COMEDY WHEN ARTIST(SOME ON THE 91) BE MAKING VIDEOS FOR 5G's KNOWIN DAMN WELL THAT IT AINT GOING TO GET NO PLAY...INVEST THAT CHEESE IN SOMETHING THATS GOING TO PUT MONEY IN YO POCKET...
YOU GOTA COME UP TO A CERTAIN LEVEL IN THE GAME FIRST, BEFORE YOU START MAKIN VIDEOS AND DVDS!!!

GET YO MIND RIGHT CUZZZZZZZZ!

D-LOCC

May 2, 2002
www.westsiderap.com
There's been some real good points made in this thread.

The Bay's biggest problem is trying to put the Bay on the map.
I been feelin this way fo along time bout Vancouver. And the same goes for the Bay. Jus cause ya from the Bay or Vancouver, don't mean ya can't try and make a name for ya self anywhere else til ya blow up in your hometown. If anything, networkin with other folx will help. Cause, like what was said earlier, it's is bout the enviroment, who ya signed to and who ya affiliated with. Like it or not, it jus is.

I used to work at a major label up here a few years back for a very short time, but in that time, I learned that yes, the majors run alotta shit. I'm not sayin that an indie artist couldn't get radio play, magazine interviews, major cd release parties, etc. etc. but it's alot easier if ya got a major label backin ya up.

Later!!

Feb 17, 2003
first of all I ain't bitchin & moanin I'm just speaking what's on my mind..second of all I am not from the bay,I reside here & represent wherever I go..I claim Cali.I feel the posts about 2 many features but selfishness don't get you nowhere...I don't really tell people they are weak but if I feel they are not going 2
make an album better I don't get down with them...I see a lot of negative remarks but I'll just pay attention 2 the positive input..I
know when we go 2 the Midwest they feel like we really hold it down 4 the underground Cali rappers..most of my homies don't purchase the mainstream rap but somehow they stay platinum.I
still feel it's got a lot 2 do with the majors..& most of us don't focus on radio becuz it's still hard 2 get there support if we don't
water it down..I'm going 2 stay on my grind & hopefully my real fans keep supporting what I do...also,in this state the police etc hate on alot of rap shows becuz of the violence...when we get past that I think we'll see some progress

og MS

Member since 1997
Apr 25, 2002
www.killavalley.com
we just gotta stick to workin hard and representin what we believe in. There's a market out there for Northern Cali music... places such as Denver, Kansas City, Oklahoma City, Tulsa, Albuquerque etc... gotta roll wit the punches and keep feedin the hungry and loyal legions of Norcal Music fans.

Tay... havent heard back from ya bout dem Fat Tone units.. lemme know if ya got a contact ... and if ya got Kim's contact... whether it be email or fax etc...

thanx in advance.