What happened to the whole "New Bay" movement?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

BOLO

FRISCO TO SAC IM AT THAT
Aug 27, 2002
most of the "new bay" artists stopped shouting that out and the hyphy/thizz movement took over...some fell in line, others still do they own thing

Nov 7, 2005
MainEventClick said:
That was all Frontline trying to get people into it, and all the O.G.'s shit all over it haha
plus frontline went on the radio and said that alot of people jumping on the bandwwagon was fake and that newbay was basically only them balance and the team and then they started refusing to do shows if certain artistts was on the bill. alot of rappers that was trying to step it up and get on board stopped hollering it. if that would have blown up the bay would have been bigger because the material coming out would have been better

Oct 28, 2003
The New Bay was a way better look for the Bay. They seemed like they were about the "movement" of music skill. You wounder why the og's got worried? Look at all movements that really happened and see if the people that were in power were happy with the ending of their time in power. The Team, The Frontline, Balance, FAB, Ya Boy, Federation, Big Rich and with OG's and the Bays best producers Ric Rock and E-A-Ski adding their production...they were on to something DIVERSE AS A MOVEMENT. They were fresh faces with smart producers helping the cause. But now Hyphy...they knew they could controle that and make it work to their advantage. Really who is REALLY eating off of Hyphy???

Jun 18, 2007
pharoah said:
plus frontline went on the radio and said that alot of people jumping on the bandwwagon was fake and that newbay was basically only them balance and the team and then they started refusing to do shows if certain artistts was on the bill. alot of rappers that was trying to step it up and get on board stopped hollering it. if that would have blown up the bay would have been bigger because the material coming out would have been better
Just to play the Devil's advocate...What is wrong with being selective with your company? Isn't that the problem with Hyphy right now? There is no leadership. There are no standards. I like some of the Hyphy shit allot, but now that people see it as a way in any old dummy that talks about boppa's, shakin dreads, going dumb and all the other shit is a hyphy artist and they are making us look like shit! I think it is smart to pull artist cards that didn't do the footwork and say, "don't try to jump in now that the ball is rolling and just ride the coat-tails of what's going on". If you are trying to pump some new blood in the Bay you SHOULD be selective in who you send out there to represent you. Because I remember when The Frontline, The Team, Balance and FAB use to be on KMEL representing for the Bay. I remember lock being on MTV representing the Bay. I remember The Frontline and The Team having the only new music from the Bay on the radio really opening the door for the Bay to grow and gain commercial success. Now maybe some of the older artist didn't like it because it may have ment they were on their way out....I don't know.

May 17, 2006
RealRich said:
The New Bay was a way better look for the Bay. They seemed like they were about the "movement" of music skill. You wounder why the og's got worried? Look at all movements that really happened and see if the people that were in power were happy with the ending of their time in power. The Team, The Frontline, Balance, FAB, Ya Boy, Federation, Big Rich and with OG's and the Bays best producers Ric Rock and E-A-Ski adding their production...they were on to something DIVERSE AS A MOVEMENT. They were fresh faces with smart producers helping the cause. But now Hyphy...they knew they could controle that and make it work to their advantage. Really who is REALLY eating off of Hyphy???

Co-sign. It would've been a better look. When I first heard Frontline, The Team, Balance, FAB, Esenchill... them cats had skills on the mic. E-A-Ski could've brought them further. He introduced the New Bay, but never backed them to the fullest. The ol skool cats didn't like the idea, cause it seemed that they were bout to get shut out. The light was on another surface. The new bay was on a underground hip hop level. Dudes were really there lyrically, they weren't all tryin to do the same thing. Not to mention they had the ability to freestyle. The Frontline on the fore front wasn't the best look either. They seemed to have much respect as far as street cred and all that. After that new bay seemed to fade away. Most of the artists just started doin made their moves for their careers. Hyphy was there even during that time, just wasn't diagnosed yet. The new bay never really was a movement though. Something like that can only last so long until it gets old... and is no longer "new".

Oct 28, 2003
pharoah said:
I just read some of the old post on here about the New Bay by people like Balance and The Frontline and you are WAY OFF. I'm going by what I actually heard them say and what I just read and it doesn't sound like what you typed. What they were saying made a hell of alot more since then what is going on right now. They atleast could define what they stood for...unlike hyphy. They kept it consistant. Hyphy has a million definitions and a million people saying they created the sound, the dances ect.

Apr 25, 2002
www.idealsentertainment.com
What I think it is, is the word MOVEMENT! It's stupid, and it's used way too god damn much. Like, hey, I'm gonna start the Spaghetti Movement!! Let's start the Free Scott Peterson and Get Hyphy in Front of San Quentin Movement!

What's next? Maybe The grape drink movement? Or perhaps the watermelon movement? I want to be a part of that, I fuckin' love watermelon.

The problem with the BAY is, while it's trying to DEFINE it's sound, the rest of the world is movin' on. The older cats aren't respecting the younger cats, the younger cats are makin' dumb shit...these dudes over here are hyphy, the ones over there are MOBB, and the ones waaaaay over there are just spittin' some real shit.

STOP TRYING TO TELL THE WORLD WHAT THE BAY SOUNDS LIKE! Not everybody in the Bay is Hyphy, not everybody was with the NEW BAY...and the cats with ORIGINALITY that don't hop on the bandwagon, are the ones bein' pushed to the side and ignored by the cats that are threatened by creativity. 'Cause let's face it, creativity is the one thing out here that is seriously lacking.

Apr 25, 2002
Im with RealRich "New Bay" would have done a lot more for the Bay Area than Hyphy has today because it was all about skill as an MC and less about stunna shades, thizz and scraper.

BASEDVATO

Judo Chop ur Spirit
May 8, 2002
I think a better business model would have been new bay as the umbrella, and under it hyphy mobb thizz ect just a hungrey set of youngsters and vets steppin it up and on the same team regaurdless of style they go for

Nov 7, 2005
RealRich said:
I just read some of the old post on here about the New Bay by people like Balance and The Frontline and you are WAY OFF.
on which part? frontline said that comment on the radio and i knew a couple of people that were yelling new bay and excited about it took that as a subliminal shot and stopped associating. and there was a cat out of the rich along with ceasar and orlando from showcase magazine tried to put together a 'new bay' tour and frontline backed out because they did not want some of the groups on it to be on a show labeled new bay. all this is straight out them dudes mouth at a meeting at everett and jones in jack london.

Aug 7, 2006
Sydal said:
STOP TRYING TO TELL THE WORLD WHAT THE BAY SOUNDS LIKE! Not everybody in the Bay is Hyphy, not everybody was with the NEW BAY...and the cats with ORIGINALITY that don't hop on the bandwagon, are the ones bein' pushed to the side and ignored by the cats that are threatened by creativity. 'Cause let's face it, creativity is the one thing out here that is seriously lacking.
word