What happened to the whole "New Bay" movement?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Nov 7, 2005
Sydal said:
What I think it is, is the word MOVEMENT! It's stupid, and it's used way too god damn much. Like, hey, I'm gonna start the Spaghetti Movement!! Let's start the Free Scott Peterson and Get Hyphy in Front of San Quentin Movement!

What's next? Maybe The grape drink movement? Or perhaps the watermelon movement? I want to be a part of that, I fuckin' love watermelon.

The problem with the BAY is, while it's trying to DEFINE it's sound, the rest of the world is movin' on. The older cats aren't respecting the younger cats, the younger cats are makin' dumb shit...these dudes over here are hyphy, the ones over there are MOBB, and the ones waaaaay over there are just spittin' some real shit.

STOP TRYING TO TELL THE WORLD WHAT THE BAY SOUNDS LIKE! Not everybody in the Bay is Hyphy, not everybody was with the NEW BAY...and the cats with ORIGINALITY that don't hop on the bandwagon, are the ones bein' pushed to the side and ignored by the cats that are threatened by creativity. 'Cause let's face it, creativity is the one thing out here that is seriously lacking.
you got some real points, but so many guys out here are trying to sell and market their product and that helps to be aligned with something that can be defined. in the end it is all marketing. new bay though would have been better marketing because since it was a more lyrical focus the music would have been better

Feb 10, 2004
www.twitter.com
From what I understand the new bay was Frontline, Balance, Team, and Mr. Fab. That grew into Quinn/Fully Loaded. The first people I heard reject that, were the Federation, people took the term "new bay" out of context and felt toes were being stepped on. So instead of the new bay meaning a new introduction to the mainstream of bay area music. Hella OG niggaz took it wrong and would support that. But look now, hella old niggaz will conform to make their sound "hyphy".

IMO the new bay was something that could have opened doors better than the hyphy movement because every artist wouldn't have been typecast. Like how now people have to say how they are down with the hyphy shit, but have to fight to prove thats not all they are.

Compare that to the south who had people who claimed to be a part of the "New South" back when TI Bone Crusher and Killer Mike came out. Old niggaz didn't hate, they supported or simply let niggaz live, thats something we cant do in the bay.

Oct 31, 2003
pharoah said:
on which part? frontline said that comment on the radio and i knew a couple of people that were yelling new bay and excited about it took that as a subliminal shot and stopped associating. and there was a cat out of the rich along with ceasar and orlando from showcase magazine tried to put together a 'new bay' tour and frontline backed out because they did not want some of the groups on it to be on a show labeled new bay. all this is straight out them dudes mouth at a meeting at everett and jones in jack london.
Well were the groups wack? If so...why would they want to co-sighn some artist they don't think are doing what's best for the Bay. Did this tour happen? If it didn't because The Frontline wasn't involved then that means who ever was putting it togeather might have been banking it on them. Have you heard of guilty ay association...well there is wack by association aswell. Hyphy has become wack not by the music of 40, Keak or the Federation, but because of all of the bandwagon my bad, I mean supporters my bad, I mean not creative fuckers who just want to jack the next mans formula to gain status. That's like if the the whole bay in the late 80's early 90's said 2Short is winning...lets ALL rap slow and talk some dirty pimp shit. If that would have happend Short would have fell off along time ago because he wouldn't have been special. The Bay growing as a reigion is the key, but individualism is important to displaying the whole.
I actually did speak to one of the frontline dudes about the New Bay and they were saying that they wanted it (the New Bay)to display the New Bay area styles of Hip-Hop, Hyphy, Dance, Cars, Clothing, Film Makers, Directors, Poets ect...They wanted the world to see that the Bay was diverse and rich with all talents- not just one. That is when I decided that I'm fuckin with them. They had the spotlight and insteed of yelling FRONTLINE,FRONTLINE, FRONTLINE on MTV they were yelling out and representing the BAY. Not just the Bay, but the new voices of the Bay...Plus they make good music and they do it their own way. I would rather see PRE-HYPHY FAB, Balance, The Team, The Frontline, Big Rich, Bailey, Ya Boy and Federation pushing the Bay forward than (no disrespect) Keak, Kafani, Yellow Bus Fab and Nump. New Bay had room to grow- Hyphy has peeked and has the Bay searching for answers.

Apr 25, 2002
www.idealsentertainment.com
MIIthasav said:
Compare that to the south who had people who claimed to be a part of the "New South" back when TI Bone Crusher and Killer Mike came out. Old niggaz didn't hate, they supported or simply let niggaz live, thats something we cant do in the bay.
'Cause cats out here think if it's not THEM that's doin' it, it isn't right. It's like a bunch of 10 year olds out here that don't want their toys, but when somebody else wants 'em, they don't wanna share.

Oct 31, 2003
MIIthasav said:
From what I understand the new bay was Frontline, Balance, Team, and Mr. Fab. That grew into Quinn/Fully Loaded. The first people I heard reject that, were the Federation, people took the term "new bay" out of context and felt toes were being stepped on. So instead of the new bay meaning a new introduction to the mainstream of bay area music. Hella OG niggaz took it wrong and would support that. But look now, hella old niggaz will conform to make their sound "hyphy".

IMO the new bay was something that could have opened doors better than the hyphy movement because every artist wouldn't have been typecast. Like how now people have to say how they are down with the hyphy shit, but have to fight to prove thats not all they are.

Think about what a different look the Bay would have if it was The Frontline, Quinn, Fully Loaded, The Team and Balance as the faces of the Bay. We would look like we had artist that could make hit records and still rap at the same time. Then you have to add to that that Frontline fuck with the OG'z E-A-Ski and Chuck was behind Done Deal...they are smart dudes from what I have read and seen. All the artist are different and special, but they still represent the Bay.

Feb 10, 2004
www.twitter.com
Yeah, I felt everything started getting fucked up when other rappers spoke bad on the new bay without understanding what they were trying to do. They were trying to break the mainstream stereotype of the bay; all we have is slang and beats. Hyphy did that; now all we do is ghostride and dance funny.

Oct 30, 2002
www.soundclick.com
i had high hopes for the "new bay" movement..seemed like the music was gonna be more skilled creative based with hot beats..but it did seem like alotta og rappers felt threatened by it.... so they started hating..

Jun 18, 2007
ECOSE said:
i had high hopes for the "new bay" movement..seemed like the music was gonna be more skilled creative based with hot beats..but it did seem like alotta og rappers felt threatened by it.... so they started hating..
Most people in power or dictators hate what they can't controle. They choked it out so that they could keep their place in the Bay and controle the ones to afraid to stand up and be willing to to really take a stance. I respect The Frontline for sticking to their guns and never making generic hyphy music. They do what they do...and they do a good job.

Nov 16, 2005
chris capo said:
naw not fab it was pretty much just team easki frontline and balance
uh... yeah he didnt rep it as hard as frontline, but he kinda was..

'its fabby baby and i'm the prince of the new bay'
"New Bay" ft. Balance, Locksmith, Clyde Carson, Left, Mistah F.A.B., Esinchill w/ E-A-Ski on the hook and beat

damn, that new bay shit was sick. but uhh frontline was on kmel last week or last last week and they mentioned something about this. i forgot though cause i was faded..

DUTCH-F.E

Super Moderator
Apr 25, 2002
WWW.myspace.com
i think you guys are leaving out 2 key eople who started the new bay. matter of fact it was dubbed the new bay but it was called the alliance first. if you really know whats up you can speak, if you dont ask somebody.

Quick

May 6, 2002
Yay Area, CA
DUTCH-F.E said:
i think you guys are leaving out 2 key eople who started the new bay. matter of fact it was dubbed the new bay but it was called the alliance first. if you really know whats up you can speak, if you dont ask somebody.
Your not talking about Arsen and Cane are you?

Oct 31, 2003
Dutch is dope. I think people give artist a hard time when they are honest and not making up fake ass facts about themselves. Back to the topic...Dutch seems like he would have fit into the whole New Bay thing, but Kee didn't. I had never heard of the alliance. Who is that?

Oct 16, 2006
mylot.com
sizzlesauce said:
Co-sign. It would've been a better look. When I first heard Frontline, The Team, Balance, FAB, Esenchill... them cats had skills on the mic. E-A-Ski could've brought them further. He introduced the New Bay, but never backed them to the fullest. The ol skool cats didn't like the idea, cause it seemed that they were bout to get shut out. The light was on another surface. The new bay was on a underground hip hop level. Dudes were really there lyrically, they weren't all tryin to do the same thing. Not to mention they had the ability to freestyle. The Frontline on the fore front wasn't the best look either. They seemed to have much respect as far as street cred and all that. After that new bay seemed to fade away. Most of the artists just started doin made their moves for their careers. Hyphy was there even during that time, just wasn't diagnosed yet. The new bay never really was a movement though. Something like that can only last so long until it gets old... and is no longer "new".
true... It seemed more about skill. Now anybody could make 1 "hot" song & become tha "flavor of the month" with no actual talent.

Dec 25, 2003
The Bay is done commercially.

No matter what, where, when or how the label gets used, after Keak's mumbling, 40's new garbage radio flow, the ridiculous ass way we got represented on my block, the fact that people can not get into the music of any of the major bay artists without being from the Bay or cali....

We will not get another chance like we got for at least ten or 15 years. We just gotta hope good artists from the Bay can get underground and myspace buzz goin and push some units that way.