What happened to the quality of San Diego Rap??

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

T.C

Sicc OG
Jul 22, 2003
Also another issue is it really isn't lucrative to put out an album anymore. These brothas puttin out these sd rap albums aren't backed by a record lable. So u gotta factor in studio time, beats, cover art, cd replication. Back in the time periods cain listed u could at least break even. But nowadays its a loss.
Making an album is always lucrative provided that the album is being sold. I don't think those Dido Brown guys would be in the streets so heavy if it weren't no money in it.

Oct 31, 2003
SAN DIEGO
SOUTHEASTSANDIEGO.COM
Making an album is always lucrative provided that the album is being sold. I don't think those Dido Brown guys would be in the streets so heavy if it weren't no money in it.
i think that's indirectly proving Rasan @Rasan 's point though. the purpose of these guys putting in so much time, sweat and tears into this is so they DON"T have to sell out the trunk forever. These guys are looking for distro deals and trying to get to mainstream status. thats where the REAL money is. I give Dido and his camp credit, they've been hitting the streets heavy for like decades! But i bet if i ask Dido, he would say he'd rather not be selling out the trunk at this point in his career....

i know he doesn't really come on here anymore but i wish LIL C.S. could chime in on this. He put me up on game one time in a quick 5 min conversation....Now thats one of the hardest working, top notch hustlers out here, even he said fuck it and retired after awhile....

Oct 31, 2003
SAN DIEGO
SOUTHEASTSANDIEGO.COM
you gotta remember, most of these guys started off making music for the homies, then it turned into making it for the streets, then for the city. At some point these dudes decided that they had the skills to go even further....thats when they start investing more time and money...Eventually the artists get older, got mouths to feed, etc etc...the game changes, shit life changes. The daily struggle takes you in different directions. most lose the passion, some just no longer have the time. The next generation steps in and unfortunately for us, this generation wears tight pants and neon watches and shit.....

T.C

Sicc OG
Jul 22, 2003
you gotta remember, most of these guys started off making music for the homies, then it turned into making it for the streets, then for the city. At some point these dudes decided that they had the skills to go even further....thats when they start investing more time and money...Eventually the artists get older, got mouths to feed, etc etc...the game changes, shit life changes. The daily struggle takes you in different directions. most lose the passion, some just no longer have the time. The next generation steps in and unfortunately for us, this generation wears tight pants and neon watches and shit.....
As the artist gets older, its his responsibility to evolve as time goes on. Everybody seems to knock the next generation of rappers instead of bridging the gap. I'm not suggesting you go out and get a spongebob backpack, but banging out songs or a mixtape or two with the youngsters couldn't hurt. Who knows, maybe the clash of the two sounds might create something completely new.

Props: DuceTheTruth
May 25, 2005
I doubt it... & if Im full of shit the whole entire SD masses let alone other parts should be bumpin SD rap reel crazy rite now in their rides wherever Im at all Im hearing is shit like all that overplayed trap shit & radio hits... Honestly I haven't heard anyone outside in Dago bumpin a local artist reel hard in their rides, mentioning their names (besides me), not even posting up a local artists tracks on their fb pages & promoting their names... They all be acting like SD rap is wack, unlistenable, not catchy & don't appeal to them...
cats from all across the globe be knowin about sd homie...we just aint enough to have done anything about gettin these artists heard (besides mitchy) im from montreal canada, and me and two of my closest boys all agree that dago is our favorite city for rap/hip hop/producers etc....we always have at least one dago album in our rides at all times...no lie, right now i have 2..greedy loco - golden state and our very own rasan - the rap depression...

Jun 6, 2004
San Diego, CA
www.myspace.com
you gotta remember, most of these guys started off making music for the homies, then it turned into making it for the streets, then for the city. At some point these dudes decided that they had the skills to go even further....thats when they start investing more time and money...eventually the artists get older, got mouths to feed, etc etc...the game changes, shit life changes. The daily struggle takes you in different directions. Most lose the passion, some just no longer have the time. The next generation steps in and unfortunately for us, this generation wears tight pants and neon watches and shit.....
exactly

ESCOBAR 92113

BARRIO LOGAN
Oct 31, 2003
SAN DIEGO
SOUTHEASTSANDIEGO.COM
As the artist gets older, its his responsibility to evolve as time goes on. Everybody seems to knock the next generation of rappers instead of bridging the gap. I'm not suggesting you go out and get a spongebob backpack, but banging out songs or a mixtape or two with the youngsters couldn't hurt. Who knows, maybe the clash of the two sounds might create something completely new.
i don't disagree with what you are saying, but i don't think we're on the same page.....i'm talking more about the struggle of an aspiring artist. i think you are talking about an artist's struggle to stay releveant.......if that makes any sense:cheeky:

Dec 25, 2003
My thoughts exactly overall I haven't been liking any of his stuff since The Yellow Tape, even some of his stuff prior & after what I have been seeing in his videos & hearing lately from him... He most definitely seems to be on a whole nother world now... He now has lost his edge for good...

DuceTheTruth

No Flexxin No Fakin
Apr 1, 2003
Not to take anything from him but Mitch is not the only nigga Daygo got.

Granted the biggest but not the only.

I always felt that niggaz from all sides of Daygo got heat. If niggaz from all them sides could come together and be on some real life DAYGO shit and no fukkin up the function shit we might actually progress to the next step.

And ALL of Cali is DEFINATELY not on tht swag shit.

Props: ESCOBAR 92113

DuceTheTruth

No Flexxin No Fakin
Apr 1, 2003
^^real talk but most of them dudes (Complex, Dodo, Baby Ant, Playboy Floyd ...) gave up rappin
I feel you man but Daygo has MUCH talent. It's just all a matter of gettin most of the city on one page.

When own homies is fonkin wit eachother, its fucked up.

And everybody gotta show everybody love. Not the famous "fuck them niggaz" line.

Dec 25, 2003
^^real talk but most of them dudes (Complex, Dodo, Baby Ant, Playboy Floyd ...) gave up rappin
& those u listed were also some of the best the our city had to offer... Especially Complex!! The lack of major support made him give up & pursue long-living ventures & he got family too!! Cant fault him for it but he was one who reely stood out as an lyrical mc... We all felt great to have him in our finest city...

ESCOBAR 92113

BARRIO LOGAN
Oct 31, 2003
SAN DIEGO
SOUTHEASTSANDIEGO.COM
& those u listed were also some of the best the our city had to offer... Especially Complex!! The lack of major support made him give up & pursue long-living ventures & he got family too!! Cant fault him for it but he was one who reely stood out as an lyrical mc... We all felt great to have him in our finest city...
This is really the same debate that's going on in the other thread. Some real good conversation! I miss complex, he was way ahead of his time...

CoopDVill

Super Moderator
May 4, 2003
www.facebook.com
I wonder what Coop has to say about this, cuz siccness was in the forefront of all the music gettin it's shine in the early 2000's ... Rasan I agree homie the whole swag sound kinda morphed with the whole jerkin movement & really changed the game as far as dress & sound. But it is crazy that SD damn near has to be at an all out war to have poppin ganster rap music. 02'(the year I moved here) to 07' was some gangster ass years
Damn my bad on the late response I'm just peeping this thread I kept seeing it but thought it was an old thread brought back. But to answer your question my opinion is what most have already said pages before. But I will say this west coast gangsta rap is now endangered 90s babies are on the move but to me its just a remix of hyphy amd everybody wanted the hyphy movement to blow and now it has evolved imo and now ppl are complaining. Gangsta rap imo is well and alive in other regions like chicago, and a few southern states like alabama, again just my opinion. But as far as dago goes I'm with cain its not the same but its still some good music here. Rather we like it or not. But me personally I'm sticking with what I came in on money hungry, sidewayz, bomb leery, wrongkind, etc. But I can't knock some of the founders for growing wiser not have only the music changed but so have the outlets (Location,Record Stores,Venue, etc.) you have to take that into consideration. Ppl want to go to kool shows not the shows they have to exit early cause so and so just walked in 30 deep and so and so is here with his goons and goblins. Just some of my 4cents since it was brought up...

Last edited: