what do l.a. niggaz think about this hyphy shit?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 24, 2002
it dont matter what southern cali thinks of northern cali and vice versa cause when it comes down to it it's just music,,just entertainment,, with that said fuck todays westcoast rap most of the shit is wack anyways,,

Mar 16, 2005
50cal said:
I think hyphy did more damage then good as far as hip hop is concerned especially for the west....
More damage? If anything it put more spotlight on the west, publicity is good, regardless of your opinion....

Jul 6, 2002
45park1904 said:
Check this out you square ass clown youre the one saying you were "blessed with cousin to let you hear the "dope" sounds from up north...........the fuc outta here with that corny shit homie

real talk.......bay rappers make 3-5 cds a year all sounds wack.....mitchy,west connection,ice cube,mack 10 ..make 1 in 2-3 years but shit sounds good....and u expect ppl will buy cds without no heart.....rewind it jose

Dec 9, 2005
I was down there in LA a few months back, and I saw Mac Dre Shirts, Yellow Bus Shirts, all that shit, and even those cats pushing those bootleg CD's were telling me how hot Bay shit was getting down there...

I would say that there are people down there who are feeling the new sound, but of course no one here will admit it. For the most part, LA music sounds the same way it did 10 years ago, and thats IMO a big reason why LA music isn't as dominant as it was in the 90's...because they weren't able to adapt to the changing times.

And as much play as Bay music is getting down there ( For a while during the summer, Power 106 was playing more Bay music than it was LA music, by a longshot ) I find it hard to believe that people aren't feeling the music, otherwise they wouldn't play it.

Hyphy is The Bay's mainstream offering, and its meant to appeal to a wide audience...no different from the Chicken Noodle Soup song...or Lean, Wid it, Rock Wid it...

Of course it looks silly and ridiculous.

jr916

Sicc OG
Jun 3, 2006
BOOBOO619 said:
I personally can't stand Hyphy homies. It's just too silly, I can't take it serious. If I want to fuck around like that, I would rather dance to some House, Trance RAVE music and bust out the glow sticks haha. To tell you guys the truth, being a Mexicano, I just can't relate to that stuff. Most Mexicans like to be laid back. I don't want to sound racist or anything, but it's just "too Black" for my taste if you know what I mean. However, same can be said about Chicano rap, it might be just "too Mexican" for blacks. I personally got a $hit load of respect for the OLD BAY, the Mobb Gangsta Funk $hit. Celly Cel, Spice1, RBL Posse, Dru Down, X-Raided, Brotha Lynch, C-BO and all that Black Market $hit, Luniz, MC Breed, and all that good stuff. That's the stuff I still bump to this day, including G-Funk. Reason being is because I like the beats, lyrics make sense most of the time, the overall vibe is sick as fuck, shit you can sit back & drive to,drink to, dance to & fuck as well. G-Funk & Mobb-Funk go hand n hand for me. To me, G-Funk/Mobb Funk, it just represents more what real music is about, telling stories, struggles in life, the good times, homies, love,etc... The beats themselves also represent more what real music should sound like as well, piano, real bassline & guitar riffs, chords, strings, soft synthesizer leads from keyboards (not some harsh @ss Trance synth Sawthooth you hear now like Lil Jon),... I want to hear that hi-pitched G-ed up keyboard Synth lead come back instead, you know the one Dre, Cold187um made famous and a lot of the Bay Area Mobb tracks used it as well. You can make oldies out of some of these songs, like "I Got 5 On it," that shit will still be a hit 10-20 years from now I bet. When you hear it, you'll be like "fuck!, that shit was hard, glad I grew up in those times." However, $hit like Hyphy, I think it's just temporary fun, it'll die out, just like hardhouse died out.

BTW, at the moment in my car, I got Celly's Cel's Heat 4 Yo Azz, "Hot Sunny day," "Baillin' Thru My Hood ." Fuck homies, now that's some real music. I don't know about you guys, but I truely miss $hit like that.
what part of the bay or valley is mc breed from.....i thought he was from flint michigan

TonyG

Sicc OG
May 5, 2002
it seems as of late the hyphy bandwagon in LA has been slowing down, power 106 does play some bay, but after that e 40 album wore off, the playist as of now doesnt really have any bay artist on it unfortunately. as LA is concerned. our two big mainstream artists here Game/snoop seem to be on the way to platinum sales... i dont see how that is fallin' off.

Apr 26, 2006
jr916 said:
what part of the bay or valley is mc breed from.....i thought he was from flint michigan
OH shit my bad, didn't notice. I just threw him in there cuz of his "sound" & connection with WC rappers such as TooShort.

Apr 24, 2006
people in L.A. need to get up on San Quinn...and if any of you know who im talkin about, please let everyone else know about him..he is in my opinion, the best artist in the bay right now and has the numbers to back it up(biggest selling independent album out of the bay this year)...he's been in the game for a minute and he is definatley not one of these hyphy artists.

www.myspace.com/sanquinn

Apr 26, 2006
nastyfresh21 said:
people in L.A. need to get up on San Quinn...and if any of you know who im talkin about, please let everyone else know about him..he is in my opinion, the best artist in the bay right now and has the numbers to back it up(biggest selling independent album out of the bay this year)...he's been in the game for a minute and he is definatley not one of these hyphy artists.

www.myspace.com/sanquinn

Nah, I think So-Cal homies would feel Messy Marv more.

Oct 17, 2006
damn after review this i learned everyone likes the bay mob shit..like messy marv,that killa shit..i feel l.a. niggaz though..what do a bunch of grown ass men look like jumpin up and down on the top of a hood on a car..like someone said here hyphy shit's for the youngsters and shit these teens..lil nigaz wearin spongebob backpacks rockin dreads..but when niggaz hear shit like mistah fab and thizz music niggaz aint feelin it..im sort of the same way i think mistah fab shit is wack,cant take dude serious cuz all he rap about hyphy this hyphy that ..like don strike said on cbos dvd.."i need to listen to a thug nigga a convict a gangsta like me "shit like cbo,killa tay,hollow tip...but yeah keep these comments coming ..shit pretty interesting...another thing i noticed to alot of these new rappers bay rappers are immatators...think about it anyone can rap about poppin pills and partying,anyone can,..mostly i hear on these cds is niggaz talkin bout thizzin,smokin and goin dumb..what happened 2 real rap like pac shit..pac had club songs buit he also had real shit ,like talkin bout srugglin,being broke the nigga wasnt embaressed or shy about discussing his struggles on cd's..most rappers want to put an image out that there nothin but mr flamboyant and shit..

May 30, 2006
Pac iz from NY & hiz music had more of a Universal appeal. It waz far from sounding Bayish. But yea I agree that Mister FAB iz hot garbage. The sad thing about it iz that Bay niggaz iz actz like he's the shit. That dudes flow 2 hiz lyrics suck. Ya Boy & Turf Talk are other nigga that I'm not feelin. Turf be hollering the Bay but that fat nigga oz really from Rialto. Aint nothin in Rialto but suckaz & streetz with no sidewalkz.

Apr 24, 2006
twamp9 said:
damn after review this i learned everyone likes the bay mob shit..like messy marv,that killa shit..i feel l.a. niggaz though..what do a bunch of grown ass men look like jumpin up and down on the top of a hood on a car..like someone said here hyphy shit's for the youngsters and shit these teens..lil nigaz wearin spongebob backpacks rockin dreads..but when niggaz hear shit like mistah fab and thizz music niggaz aint feelin it..im sort of the same way i think mistah fab shit is wack,cant take dude serious cuz all he rap about hyphy this hyphy that ..like don strike said on cbos dvd.."i need to listen to a thug nigga a convict a gangsta like me "shit like cbo,killa tay,hollow tip...but yeah keep these comments coming ..shit pretty interesting...another thing i noticed to alot of these new rappers bay rappers are immatators...think about it anyone can rap about poppin pills and partying,anyone can,..mostly i hear on these cds is niggaz talkin bout thizzin,smokin and goin dumb..what happened 2 real rap like pac shit..pac had club songs buit he also had real shit ,like talkin bout srugglin,being broke the nigga wasnt embaressed or shy about discussing his struggles on cd's..most rappers want to put an image out that there nothin but mr flamboyant and shit..

The Evil Genius said:
Pac iz from NY & hiz music had more of a Universal appeal. It waz far from sounding Bayish. But yea I agree that Mister FAB iz hot garbage. The sad thing about it iz that Bay niggaz iz actz like he's the shit. That dudes flow 2 hiz lyrics suck. Ya Boy & Turf Talk are other nigga that I'm not feelin. Turf be hollering the Bay but that fat nigga oz really from Rialto. Aint nothin in Rialto but suckaz & streetz with no sidewalkz.

not a fan of FAB's hyphy shit but his non-hyphy songs are on point...listen to Son of A Pimp front to back and you wont be dissapointed.

Feb 7, 2006
The Evil Genius said:

Pac didn't rap like a New york rapper though, and he was born in NY, lived too many other places, and claimed Cali so he's west coast in my book. If we go by where people were born then a lot of bay and LA, and some Dago artists aren't west coast even though thats what they rep and sound like.

May 30, 2006
I hear what u saying but Pac waz raised in the East Coast. He haz no hood in Cali & never evem went 2 skool in Cali. I'm not going by where he waz born. Hell I waz born in LA but I'm N.Cali 2 the fullest cuz thiz iz where I waz raised. Even when I lived in LA & IE 4 like 6 yearz I alwayz repped N.Cal. How would it looked 4 me 2 switch up just cuz I lived in So.Cali & everyone excepted me? Thatz some busta azz shit 2 me.