Weekly Movie Recomendation

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

Chree

Medicated
Dec 7, 2005
yeah its really dope, a movie that i woulda never watched actually lol
imma check out alotta these movies in here 4 sure, thanks CB

Apr 25, 2002
I'm a Peter Lorre fan and this movie kicked him into star status. Must see for any film fan. See where your favorite directors and writers get inspired.

M (1931)

A psychotic child murderer stalks a city, and despite an exhaustive investigation fueled by public hysteria and outcry, the police have been unable to find him. But the police crackdown does have one side-affect, it makes it nearly impossible for the organized criminal underground to operate. So they decide that the only way to get the police off their backs is to catch the murderer themselves.

Apr 25, 2002
Not much to say other than this is a must see. Great documentary.

Scratch (2001)

A feature-length documentary film about hip-hop DJing, otherwise known as turntablism. From the South Bronx in the 1970s to San Francisco now, the world's best scratchers, beat-diggers, party-rockers, and producers wax poetic on beats, breaks, battles, and the infinite possibilities of vinyl.

Official Site:
http://www.scratchworldwidemedia.com/scratch.html

Just a few of the people in the movie:

Grand Wizard Theodore
Q-bert
DXT
Z-Trip
Mix Master Mike
The X-Ecutioners
DJ Premier
Afrika Bambaataa
Jazzy Jay
Cut Chemist & NuMark
DJ Craze
DJ Shadow
DJ Badu
Madlib
Peanut Butter Wolf

May 16, 2002
Mickey Rourke is very good in this. The movie is heavily stylized and black and white. I enjoy this movie more for the good acting and the style of the film than of the plot or the writing. Appearances by Dennis Hopper, Nicholas Cage, Chris Penn, Laurence Fishburn, Tom Waits, and more.

Rumble Fish (1983)

Rusty James is the leader of a small, dying gang in an industrial town. He lives in the shadow of the memory of his absent, older brother -- The Motorcycle Boy. His mother has left, his father drinks, school has no meaning for him and his relationships are shallow. He is drawn into one more gang fight and the events that follow begin to change his life.

Without a doubt one of my many favorites of all time (being that I am a movie buff).

Many tend to sleep on this one and not conprehend what it's all about.

...but being that I have read the book (plenty of times). I can honestly say that I highly recomend anybody to read the book prior to watching this movie (you won't get lost...the movie is a quite incohearant). For those of you too lazy to read, it's a short story, so it shouldn't take up too much of your time. Figure this, you spend alot more time reading bullshit online, so why not crack a book open from time to time?

"Rumble Fish"

Author: S.E. Hinton

Good call Homie!

Trivia on this Film:

Nicolas Cage was credited "Nicolas Coppola" on the early copies of this film released in theaters and on VHS (yes, I own a copy as well). This was Nicolas Cage first movie. Nicolas decided to change his last name from "Coppola" to "Cage", for reason being that he didn't want to ride his uncle's "Francis Ford Coppola" coat tail.

The score of this film was also performed my "Stewart Copeland" former drummer for "The Police".

May 26, 2007
Pulp fiction was cool but rumble fish? Is it mostly bout a gang or motorcycles? I like movies that are suspenceful but not so much action that will bore me! Its funny watching classics n you see someone with a one piece n they are shooting all crazy n your thinking how many bullets did that foo have? Anyone recommend any scary movies with a mysterious plot?

Apr 25, 2002
Want to understand the Iraq war? This film is a giant step. It offers historical perspective on a similar occupation. Great movie from every aspect. It is black and white and subtitled, but don't let that keep you from seeing a fantastic movie.

The film has been used by the right and left wing throughout history since it premiered. In Argentina the Military Dictatorship showed the film to cadets training to suppress/repress civilian uprisings and urban guerrila war.

The Pentagon offered a screening of the film August 27, 2003 regarding it as a useful illustration of the problems faced in Iraq. A flyer for the screening read:

"How to win a battle against terrorism and lose the war of ideas. Children shoot soldiers at point-blank range. Women plant bombs in cafes. Soon the entire Arab population builds to a mad fervor. Sound familiar? The French have a plan. It succeeds tactically, but fails strategically. To understand why, come to a rare showing of this film."

Particular tactics in the film were supposedly copied by the Black Panthers and the Provisional Irish Republican Army.

Among Third World groups, the Palestine Liberation Organization (PLO) and the broader Palestinian nationalist movement may be among the best known of those who have made use of The Battle of Algiers as a discussion piece, propaganda film and training aid

The Battle of Algiers (Battaglia di Algeri, La) (1966)

Gillo Pontecorvo's film based on events during the 1954-1962 Algerian War of Independence against French rule. The film shows the Algerian revolution from both sides. The French foreign legion has left Vietnam in defeat and has something to prove. The Algerians are seeking independence. The two clash. The torture used by the French is contrasted with the Algerian's use of bombs in soda shops. A look at war as a nasty thing that harms and sullies everyone who participates in it.

Critics have commended the Battle of Algiers for its technical merits and relatively even-handed portrayal of both sides. It won the Venice Film Festival Grand Prize and was nominated for three Academy Awards including Best Screenplay (Gillo Pontecorvo and Franco Solinas), Best Director (Gillo Pontecorvo) and Best Foreign Language Film.

Available on 3-disc DVD set. The extras include former United States counter-terrorism advisors Richard A. Clarke and Michael A. Sheehan discussing The Battle of Algiers' depiction of terrorism and guerrilla warfare and directors Spike Lee, Mira Nair, Julian Schnabel, Steven Soderbergh and Oliver Stone discussing its influence on film. Another documentary includes interviews with FLN members Saadi Yacef and Zohra Drif.

May 4, 2002
Trivia on this Film:

Nicolas Cage was credited "Nicolas Coppola" on the early copies of this film released in theaters and on VHS (yes, I own a copy as well). This was Nicolas Cage first movie. Nicolas decided to change his last name from "Coppola" to "Cage", for reason being that he didn't want to ride his uncle's "Francis Ford Coppola" coat tail.
Fast Times at Ridgemont High was Nicolas Cage's first movie(he was credited as Nicolas Coppola) and Valley Girl might've come out before Rumble Fish too. They both came out in 1983, not sure on the months though. Valley Girl was the first movie he made that he was credited as Nicolas Cage(not Coppola).

May 16, 2002
Fast Times at Ridgemont High was Nicolas Cage's first movie(he was credited as Nicolas Coppola) and Valley Girl might've come out before Rumble Fish too. They both came out in 1983, not sure on the months though. Valley Girl was the first movie he made that he was credited as Nicolas Cage(not Coppola).

Yeah, you right about the "Fast Times...", but wrong on the "Valley Girl" coming out prior to "Rumble Fish".

Nov 27, 2006
The Wind that Shakes the Barley.

Its a movie about the Irish struggle for independence from the british. its extremly well done and it was filmed and released in Ireland. I saw it two years ago when i went to Ireland. I highly recommend it to any whose Irish or anyone who likes history.
The Wind That Shakes the Barley is a 2006 Ken Loach film set during the Irish War of Independence (1919–21) and the subsequent Irish Civil War (1922–3). Written by long-time Loach collaborator Paul Laverty, this drama tells the story of two County Cork brothers, played by Cillian Murphy and Pádraic Delaney, who join the Irish Republican Army to fight for Irish independence from Great Britain. Widely praised, the film won the Palme d'Or at the 2006 Cannes Film Festival. Loach's biggest box office success to date,[1] the film did well around the world and set a record in Ireland as the highest-grossing Irish-made independent film ever.

Nov 16, 2006
Want to understand the Iraq war? This film is a giant step. It offers historical perspective on a similar occupation. Great movie from every aspect. It is black and white and subtitled, but don't let that keep you from seeing a fantastic movie.

The film has been used by the right and left wing throughout history since it premiered. In Argentina the Military Dictatorship showed the film to cadets training to suppress/repress civilian uprisings and urban guerrila war.

The Pentagon offered a screening of the film August 27, 2003 regarding it as a useful illustration of the problems faced in Iraq. A flyer for the screening read:

"How to win a battle against terrorism and lose the war of ideas. Children shoot soldiers at point-blank range. Women plant bombs in cafes. Soon the entire Arab population builds to a mad fervor. Sound familiar? The French have a plan. It succeeds tactically, but fails strategically. To understand why, come to a rare showing of this film."

Particular tactics in the film were supposedly copied by the Black Panthers and the Provisional Irish Republican Army.

Among Third World groups, the Palestine Liberation Organization (PLO) and the broader Palestinian nationalist movement may be among the best known of those who have made use of The Battle of Algiers as a discussion piece, propaganda film and training aid

The Battle of Algiers (Battaglia di Algeri, La) (1966)

Gillo Pontecorvo's film based on events during the 1954-1962 Algerian War of Independence against French rule. The film shows the Algerian revolution from both sides. The French foreign legion has left Vietnam in defeat and has something to prove. The Algerians are seeking independence. The two clash. The torture used by the French is contrasted with the Algerian's use of bombs in soda shops. A look at war as a nasty thing that harms and sullies everyone who participates in it.

Critics have commended the Battle of Algiers for its technical merits and relatively even-handed portrayal of both sides. It won the Venice Film Festival Grand Prize and was nominated for three Academy Awards including Best Screenplay (Gillo Pontecorvo and Franco Solinas), Best Director (Gillo Pontecorvo) and Best Foreign Language Film.

Available on 3-disc DVD set. The extras include former United States counter-terrorism advisors Richard A. Clarke and Michael A. Sheehan discussing The Battle of Algiers' depiction of terrorism and guerrilla warfare and directors Spike Lee, Mira Nair, Julian Schnabel, Steven Soderbergh and Oliver Stone discussing its influence on film. Another documentary includes interviews with FLN members Saadi Yacef and Zohra Drif.
great movie. i got casablanca on dvd, bout to watch it tonight.

Nov 16, 2006
great movie. long, but great.

Once Upon a Time in America (Italian title C'era una volta in America) is a 1984 crime film directed by Sergio Leone, starring Robert De Niro and James Woods. The story chronicles the lives of Jewish ghetto youths who rise to prominence in New York City's world of organized crime. The film explores childhood friendships, loss, broken relationships, and the appearance of mobsters in American society.