Weekly Movie Recomendation

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 16, 2002
^^Overrated movie. It was ok at best imo. Only reason he won an Oscar is because he got jacked prior to that (he should have won it for his role of Malcolm X, imo).

Your not the first to say that movie is overrated. My nephew and a few Homies agree with you. I thought it was tight though.

I agree with you about getting jacked for the "Malcom X" role. They went and gave it to Clint Eastwood that year for "Unforgiven".

Jun 19, 2004

Amores Perros roughly translates to "Love's a bitch," and it's an apt summation of this remarkable film's exploration of passion, loss, and the fragility of our lives. In telling three stories connected by one traumatic incident, Mexican director Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu uses an intricate screenplay by novelist Guillermo Arriaga to make three movies in close orbit, expressing the notion that we are defined by what we lose--from our loves to our family, our innocence, or even our lives. These interwoven tales--about a young man in love with his brother's pregnant wife, a perfume spokeswoman and her married lover, and a scruffy vagrant who sidelines as a paid killer--are united by a devastating car crash that provides the film's narrative nexus, and by the many dogs that the characters own or care for. There is graphic violence, prompting a disclaimer that controversial dog-fight scenes were harmless and carefully supervised, but what emerges from Amores Perros is a uniquely conceptual portrait of people whom we come to know through their relationship with dogs. The film is simultaneously bleak, cynical, insightful, and compassionate, with layers of meaning that are sure to reward multiple viewings. --Jeff Shannon

IF I remember correctly it has english subtitles. One of the best movies I've seen

martin_07n

Tachas y Perico
Feb 20, 2006
Tacos Sinaloa
www.siccness.net

Amores Perros roughly translates to "Love's a bitch," and it's an apt summation of this remarkable film's exploration of passion, loss, and the fragility of our lives. In telling three stories connected by one traumatic incident, Mexican director Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu uses an intricate screenplay by novelist Guillermo Arriaga to make three movies in close orbit, expressing the notion that we are defined by what we lose--from our loves to our family, our innocence, or even our lives. These interwoven tales--about a young man in love with his brother's pregnant wife, a perfume spokeswoman and her married lover, and a scruffy vagrant who sidelines as a paid killer--are united by a devastating car crash that provides the film's narrative nexus, and by the many dogs that the characters own or care for. There is graphic violence, prompting a disclaimer that controversial dog-fight scenes were harmless and carefully supervised, but what emerges from Amores Perros is a uniquely conceptual portrait of people whom we come to know through their relationship with dogs. The film is simultaneously bleak, cynical, insightful, and compassionate, with layers of meaning that are sure to reward multiple viewings. --Jeff Shannon

IF I remember correctly it has english subtitles. One of the best movies I've seen

Damn I was about to recommend this movie....good shit.

Apr 25, 2002
Great acting by James Woods and James Balushi. Based on true stories and real life people and events. Directed by Oliver Stone (one of his best films - highly underrated).

Salvador (1986)

A journalist, down on his luck in the US, drives to El Salvador to chronicle the events of the 1980 military dictatorship, including the assasination of Archbishop Oscar Romero. He forms an uneasy alliance with both guerillas in the countryside who want him to get pictures out to the US press, and the right-wing military, who want him to bring them photographs of the rebels. Meanwhile he has to find a way of protecting his Salvadorean girlfriend and getting her out of the country.

Nominated for 2 Oscars.

May 16, 2002
May 16, 2002
Just a heads up... I haven't seen it in this thread yet, but I thought 3:10 to Yuma was horrible.
What?!?!?! I have yet to see it and have been antisipating this one. I know it's availible on DVD, but I'm just wating a for the free hook up I have.

WTF! though? It was that bad?

Nov 24, 2003
Well see what someone else who has watched it has to say. It wouldn't be the first time I hated a movie everyone else seemed to love.

Basically, I thought Christian Bale's acting was not as good as usual. I hate Ben Foster. I know it is a remake, but the plot was weak and I got the same feeling throughout the moview of "why the fuck are you doing that" similiar to when you are watching a horror movie and you are wondering why the broad holding the gun hasn't pulled the trigger yet, or why she goes back somewhere she shouldn't.

Nuttkase

not nolettuce
Jun 5, 2002
at the welfare mall
Agree!

I own this one, but I did the same as ColdBlooded. I was so dissapointed in this film...I don't know what the big hype about it is. I found it to be disturbing and boring.
I found it disturbing, I think that's why I liked it so much lol. Wasn't boring to me at all. Not something I'd watch every few months or anything but I think it's a really dope movie.

3:10 to Yuma was great IMO. Assassination of Jesse James... was a lot better though.

Apr 25, 2002
One of my all time favorites from one of my all time favorite directors. Still relevant today. Extremely funny satire about the end of the world. Biting social and political commentary. Fantastic cast. Sterling Hayden, George C. Scott, and Peter Sellers are fantastic! A MUST SEE!

Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964)

The story concerns a mentally unstable US Air Force general who orders a first strike nuclear attack on the Soviet Union, and follows the President of the United States, his advisors, the Joint Chiefs of Staff and a Royal Air Force (RAF) officer as they try to recall the bombers to prevent a nuclear apocalypse, as well as the crew of one B52 as they attempt to deliver their payload.

In 1989 the United States Library of Congress deemed the film "culturally significant" and selected it for preservation in the National Film Registry.

Premiere voted this movie as one of "The 50 Greatest Comedies Of All Time" in 2006.

Listed as #3 on AFI's 100 Years... 100 Laughs.