Vallejo has contributed more to the Bay's/Nor Cal's Hip Hip scene than any other city

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Sep 4, 2017
This is a fact. If Vallejo disappeared, there goes almost all of the Bay's legends, as well as most of the new guys. E40, Mac Dre, Mac Mall, Celly Cell, Baby Bash, Nef The Pharaoh, SOB X RBE. It's undeniable. I'm not even from Vallejo, but I was thinking about it, and for a city of its size, its contributions are immense.

I would have to disagree ! I would say Frisco has contributed and has more classics then Vallejo . The Bay Area sound that everyone misses and wishes would come back came from Frisco !!

Rbl posse ( black c and mr cee) hitman , cellski , cougnut , Jt the bigga figga, San Quinn , rappin 4 tay , 11/5 . Cold world hustlers , UDI ,messy marv etc .. just to name a few of the old school all these guys help create the Bay Area sound and image that everyone portrays today .

New Frisco artist just a few
No ones bigger then berner right now love him or hate him his fan base is serious
Cosmo been around awhile but I would put him with the newer scene he’s producing some of the biggest artist in the game today
40 keys is a up and comer
Prezi got one of the hottest singles of 2017 everyone loving his song and he from the point .

Sep 4, 2017
I would have to disagree ! I would say Frisco has contributed and has more classics then Vallejo . The Bay Area sound that everyone misses and wishes would come back came from Frisco !!

Rbl posse ( black c and mr cee) hitman , cellski , cougnut , Jt the bigga figga, San Quinn , rappin 4 tay , 11/5 . Cold world hustlers , UDI ,messy marv etc .. just to name a few of the old school all these guys help create the Bay Area sound and image that everyone portrays today .

New Frisco artist just a few
No ones bigger then berner right now love him or hate him his fan base is serious
Cosmo been around awhile but I would put him with the newer scene he’s producing some of the biggest artist in the game today
40 keys is a up and comer
Prezi got one of the hottest singles of 2017 everyone loving his song and he from the point .
San Francisco has 860,000 people while Vallejo has 120,000, and Berner is not bigger than SOB x RBE locally, or G-Eazy (who's from Berkeley, but claims Oakland) nationally.

Nov 27, 2014
I disagree completely I would say Oakland then the V .... 2 short, 2pac, digital underground, Hammer WERE THE BIGGEST ARTIST IN THE NATION in there DAY. Vallejo rappers are only West Coast famous with E 40 and Bash being the only ones with longevity. Not to mention Souls of Mischief and the Coup who have cult size followings around the world. No Vallejo rapper has had a hit like the Luniz I got 5 on it. Oakland put it down for the Bay harder then any other city

May 7, 2013
33°
www.hoescantstopme.biz
Not true. Even old white women from the Midwest know who E40 is. Had a 59 yo woman from Missouri ask me a couple weeks ago if I heard of E40

LMAO

and Souls of Mischief are hella forgettable

Too Short from LA....

Luniz? Only relevant to ppl listening to rap in the 90s

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2017
Also, look at the size of Vallejo compared to the other cities we're comparing Vallejo to. SF and Oakland are major cities, Vallejo isn't. For its size, no one is keeping up with Vallejo in terms of output. It's like the Compton of the Bay Area, in the sense that it's a smaller suburb with a disproportionate amount of influence on local culture.

May 22, 2006
I disagree completely I would say Oakland then the V .... 2 short, 2pac, digital underground, Hammer WERE THE BIGGEST ARTIST IN THE NATION in there DAY. Vallejo rappers are only West Coast famous with E 40 and Bash being the only ones with longevity. Not to mention Souls of Mischief and the Coup who have cult size followings around the world. No Vallejo rapper has had a hit like the Luniz I got 5 on it. Oakland put it down for the Bay harder then any other city
My first thought was Oakland too. Too Short. He really really really put on for the bay. And outlasted everyone. And basically invented the independent rap game. Vallejo’s contribution has been significant, there’s no question about it. But to me Oakland gets the nod.

Apr 25, 2002
Well if the topic said "proportionately" you'd have to be right. A lot of game from Vallejo. I agree with the one poster about that early to mid-90s Frisco shit. Unfortunately no one carried that on. Short's crew and DD and the Luniz should get their props too.

May 12, 2002
www.glmc.gemm.com
On the strength of a lot of the vallejo artists mentioned having major record label deals, the size of the place, the staying power of 40-Water and the fact they had a 2 page article on the V in The Source in '99... I'd like to go with Vallejo but Oakland might have to clinch it on the extent of worldwide exposure and how long that was for. Artist from there did move big from '89 and into the 00's. Couldn't tell ya how that looks now tho.

Baby Bash, E-40 were by far the biggest and were the main prompters of TBIB for a while aside from a couple Richmond and Fairfield heavy contributors, so the V definitely get that accolade.
All the rappers from the V who were signed to Atlantic for 4 years (YBB, Rated-Z sub-labels), Lightyear (Romp, Rated-z), Jive (Sic Wid It) and Virgin/Noo-Trybe (Sic Wid It), Priority (Lil Italy),

The thing about Frisco is that the best bit of pushin they got was some stuff through Priority when Get Low had their foot in. That was a short-lived 2 year stint though. You could count SMG releases at a push cause they did get over to the UK. But one thing I REALLY did never see, was an in-a-minute release ova here. You slice out a chunk of bay legends when that disappears. However, you could argue that Master P's seminal West Coast Bad Boyz comp had a SHITLOAD of SF rappers and that was Priority distro'd in the end... I think that compilation did a lot to blow up Frisco rap. The only other majors I can think of outta SF was 4-Tay & RBL. As much as I love the rest of them. Edit - also like to add that most of Dogday's catalog was available over here which does make me wonder if City Hall did get stuff ova here! Like I said though, never saw an in-a-minute release.

Oakland, man that's vast. All the labels/big-time distributors above at least had 1-10 of em for the O. Who wasn't on a major? Who was? Short Dog, 2Pac, Ant Banks DU, Heiro, Souls, Coup, 415, APG Crew, Off Da Hook, Askari-X, Conscious Daughters, Goldy, Coz, Kool Rock Jay (J-Dubb), Raw Fusion, Father Dom, EL Dogg, Gold Money, Passion, Bad-N-Fluenz, Whoridas, Saafir, TWDY, Ant Banks, Dru Down, Richie Rich, Seagram, Dangerous Dame, Steady Mobb'n, 3xKrazy,

Edit - oh yeah Pooh-Man (Funky As I Wanna Be) Judgement Day and The B.U.M.S. was on a major too. Pooh-Man being on Jive/Scarface (Paris/Conscious Daughters) (priority)

And also, Rake It Up just sampled Freaky Tales man. I love the guy buy anyone covered a 40-Water song for the charts with a Nicki Minaj feature? Also the UK the first person they got to speak about the Hyphy movement was 2Wice (off da hook), i remember musta been '03 in an interview with DJ Semtex....

From A Cali perspective i'd be thinkin SF (all the early in-a-minute stuff and Get Low really shaped it), Oakland Vallejo but from the UK it did not look like that. It looked more Oakland, Vallejo, SF.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2015
2pac is not an oakland rapper though lol .. might as well say master p

Feb 19, 2015
Bro, this song does not mean he is from LA. PAC laid a foundation in Oakland with digital underground (that’s where he came up from) that’s why he is included.
he from new york, but he repped for LA..you can say he repped the west in general, but not exclusively Oakland lol