upgrading RAM

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

SLY

Sicc OG
Feb 18, 2004
www.theslyshow.com
anyone that's upgraded RAM, do u see a sagnificant change? i have about 512 MB of ram ( horrible, yes i know) and im gonna be upgrading too 2 GB. not sure if i will notice a big amount of change. anyone upgrade there shit? lemme know if it made a big difference.

peace

SLY

Sicc OG
Feb 18, 2004
www.theslyshow.com
p.s. 512MB is hella ancient dogg. how big is your hard drive ?
i have a few external ones. i just came up on this seperate computer andi am trying too fix it up a little so i can at least do some work on it. it keeps lagging with the 512 MB so im just wondering if its gonna make a change by upgrading RAM. not really big on computers so i dont know the tech shit too well.

Jan 5, 2006
yeah it will be able to handle more applications being opened. Depends what kind u get but DDR usually handles more bandwidth.

I recommend Patriot ram.. ive had it for 4 years and still strong!

SLY

Sicc OG
Feb 18, 2004
www.theslyshow.com
yeah it will be able to handle more applications being opened. Depends what kind u get but DDR usually handles more bandwidth.

I recommend Patriot ram.. ive had it for 4 years and still strong!
yeah, i did a test on www.crucial.com and it detected my ram and how much my shit will support etc etc even gave me the model # i need too get. so i should be cool. whats's considered good ram theese days? 2GB? 4GB?

Jun 13, 2002
siccness.net
If I wanted to do this too. How would I determine how much RAM I currently have, how much I should get, and if I have enough open slots to add it?
Download Cpu Z to find your motherboard model and look that up. It will also tell you how many slots you have and what is in each slot if you don't want to look that up.
i have 2g of ram and my shit is flash gordon

i can imagine at 4 it is mainy
4gb will not make anything faster unless you're encoding large amounts of video or gaming on Vista. There is just more bandwidth available that most will never be able to use.

May 9, 2002
The average user browsing the internet only needs 1GB RAM to run XP flawlessly.

Like others say, 4GB'f of RAM can only be recognized by 64-bit systems. If you put 4GB's in somethin that cannot recognize that much, it will actually SLOW your system down in some cases.

Linux will recognize any amount of RAM.

Apr 25, 2002
So if someone had 512 MB or 1gb of RAM right now and was running standard XP went and upgraded to 4gb of RAM and got XP 64 bit it would be like lightning?

Are there other upgradebale factors that would influence how "fast" one experiences their PC other than RAM?