upgrading RAM

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jun 13, 2002
siccness.net
So if someone had 512 MB or 1gb of RAM right now and was running standard XP went and upgraded to 4gb of RAM and got XP 64 bit it would be like lightning?

Are there other upgradebale factors that would influence how "fast" one experiences their PC other than RAM?
4gb ram is overkill in damn near every situation. 4gb is the amount, or bandwidth, ram also works at different speeds. Unless you're playing really graphic intense games or encoding videos there's no way you can even use 2gb.

Upgrade your processor for speed.

May 9, 2002
ŧ♣иγ²º⁶;3727284 said:
4gb ram is overkill in damn near every situation. 4gb is the amount, or bandwidth, ram also works at different speeds. Unless you're playing really graphic intense games or encoding videos there's no way you can even use 2gb.

Exactly. People are always saying "i need this much RAM in order to be faster"...and i ask them if they are doing video editing or playing Crysis. If they say no, i tell them not to waste their money on anythign more than 2GB MAX. However, if your machine has non-sifficient amounts of RAM, it can really lag your machine to a point of a CRAWL.

In all cases, though, if you are running 1GB of RAM and and a Celeron processor and youre having slow down on deomcpression, compression, video playback, encoding, and such...an upgrade in both a CPU and RAM will show mass amounts of improvement.

Faster HD's speed up boot up and program retreival.

SLY

Sicc OG
Feb 18, 2004
www.theslyshow.com
ŧ♣иγ²º⁶;3727024 said:
4gb wont work unless you're running XP or Vista 64 bit editions.
what about the processor speed? does this make a difference. i have 3 different computers that vary from 1ghz, 2ghz and like 4 ghz. does the processor make a difference. like does a computer that has 2 GB of memory at 1 Ghz work differently then a computer with 2 GB at 4 ghz as the processor. ? lemme know. im not knowledgable at computers so any help is dope.

thanks

May 9, 2002
what about the processor speed? does this make a difference. i have 3 different computers that vary from 1ghz, 2ghz and like 4 ghz. does the processor make a difference. like does a computer that has 2 GB of memory at 1 Ghz work differently then a computer with 2 GB at 4 ghz as the processor. ? lemme know. im not knowledgable at computers so any help is dope.

thanks

ŧ♣иγ²º⁶;3727284 said:

:ermm:

Apr 25, 2002
ŧ♣иγ²º⁶;3727082 said:
Download Cpu Z to find your motherboard model and look that up. It will also tell you how many slots you have and what is in each slot if you don't want to look that up.
This worked very nice.

Turns out I have only 256 MB of RAM
from 2 128 MB cards

Yes my PC is old (it was free and I don't have the disposable income to upgrade to the new millennium)

Now I'm wondering if I should get
2 - 512 MB cards
1 - 1 GB card
2 - 1 GB cards

Suggestions?

Arson

Long live the KING!!!!
May 7, 2002
This worked very nice.

from 2 128 MB cards

Yes my PC is old (it was free and I don't have the disposable income to upgrade to the new millennium)

2 - 512 MB cards
1 - 1 GB card
2 - 1 GB cards

Suggestions?
you can get a powerful desktop for under 500$ on ebay.

May 9, 2002
This worked very nice.

from 2 128 MB cards

2 - 512 MB cards
1 - 1 GB card
2 - 1 GB cards

Suggestions?
They are actually referred to as "sticks", but thats just symantecs.

What are your other specs? HD size? Motherboard features? It may not be worth the upgrade. You can build a new, up-to-date PC for under $250. I can get you all the software for free.

Apr 25, 2002
They are actually referred to as "sticks", but thats just symantecs.

What are your other specs? HD size? Motherboard features? It may not be worth the upgrade. You can build a new, up-to-date PC for under $250. I can get you all the software for free.

OK, but I can get the "sticks" for under $50 total

I have 2 HD's one is 80 gb and the other is 120 gb, both purchased within the last 2 years. Don't know the motherboard features right now that I'm back at work (where would I find that info)?

Jun 13, 2002
siccness.net

I have 2 HD's one is 80 gb and the other is 120 gb, both purchased within the last 2 years. Don't know the motherboard features right now that I'm back at work (where would I find that info)?
I posted a link to CPU Z for you to see your mobo info.

You'll always want 2 or 4 matching sticks so they'll run in DDR mode (double data rate). Ram is dirt cheap nowadays. I bought 2x1gb sticks for about $40 total of high spec'd ram not too long ago. Find out your mobo model and I'll tell you what type of ram you'll need.

Apr 25, 2002
ŧ♣иγ²º⁶;3727615 said:

You'll always want 2 or 4 matching sticks so they'll run in DDR mode (double data rate). Ram is dirt cheap nowadays. I bought 2x1gb sticks for about $40 total of high spec'd ram not too long ago. Find out your mobo model and I'll tell you what type of ram you'll need.
Yea like I said I'm at work now. I just looked real quick during lunch to see how much RAM I currently have and what type so I could price it. After work I'll post the mobo info

May 9, 2002
ŧ♣иγ²º⁶;3727615 said:

What if he is running with PC-133? That shit is more expensive than DDR because it is obsolete.

DDR is a kind of RAM, not a mode. You can run RAM in a dual-channel setting, which is faster than just having 2 sticks of individual RAM.

May 1, 2003

You can get RAM for cheap. Since you only got 256mb of RAM, you'll notice some difference. I don't know how old your board is, but it may or may not support some of the newer RAM modules so take it with you when you go to the store. What type of Processor does CPU Z say you have? I haven't seen any 128mb sticks in a long time. The last was on a Win 2000 machine. You can see the motherboard info in the BIOS settings by hitting DEL or F2 or whatever it is for your box. If you don't want to do that, you can open up the case and it's usually printed on a small sticker on the board...or either etched into the board.

May 9, 2002
You can get RAM for cheap. Since you only got 256mb of RAM, you'll notice some difference. I don't know how old your board is, but it may or may not support some of the newer RAM modules so take it with you when you go to the store. What type of Processor does CPU Z say you have? I haven't seen any 128mb sticks in a long time. The last was on a Win 2000 machine. You can see the motherboard info in the BIOS settings by hitting DEL or F2 or whatever it is for your box. If you don't want to do that, you can open up the case and it's usually printed on a small sticker on the board...or either etched into the board.
PC-100 and PC-133 still has 128 MB of RAM.