Top Dawg Ent. Mega-thread (Kendrick Lamar, ScHoolboy Q, Ab-Soul, Jay-Rock etc)

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

0R0

Girbaud Shuttle Jeans
Dec 10, 2006
BasedWorld
Even though I thought it was a ill verse (well minus that last awkward line) I do have to agree that a lot of people are bringing it into overrated territory. Like folks are going nuts over it like it's the dopest verse in a decade or something. To me it sounds like Kendrick listened to some early Canibus, reworked it around for himself, then called out some people and crowned himself the king of NY (which was funny) but yeah.... I'm starting to agree.
Just shows where the rap game is right now, everyone so buddy buddy that saying you're the best is looked at as outlandish & overly cocky.

Apr 25, 2002
verse of the year, period. anyone who says its overrated, show me something that tops it (i'll wait) lol

the most interesting thing about it however is that if you listen closely you'll notice that Big Sean either A) re-wrote/added to his verse after listening to Kendrick's or B) wrote his verse after Kendrick layed it/he listened to it.

also him saying that it won't be on Hall of Fame b/c of "sample clearance issues" is fuckin hilarious. it won't be on the album because that verse would have overshadowed his entire album, plain and simple. he busted himself out with that lame excuse - all he had to say was that it was a freestyle, nothing more.

Nuttkase

not nolettuce
Jun 5, 2002
at the welfare mall
Something can still be great and be overrated, as people are putting 100xs too much on it. Kind of like Nirvana, they are a great band, they are still overrated. The verse is overrated in the sense that people are calling it "the best verse of the decade" and a "game changer" on twitter and the such. Like I said it sounds like Kendrick listened to some Canibus, put on his angry voice, and then there you have it. It's a great verse and honestly it's nothing much more than that.

Lets be honest if that verse was spit in 1996 when rappers weren't all on some "We Are the World" lets be best friends and work together and get money type shit it would hardly make a ripple. Take that for what you want for where we are at with rap music in 2013.

0R0

Girbaud Shuttle Jeans
Dec 10, 2006
BasedWorld
i mean im not sure how closely a 67 year old retired basketball coach follows kendricks career, someone asked his opinion & he prolly saw the line in his mentions, of course hes gonna defend coaching lol

i agree tho, i think the original gkmc that had the sound that cartoons & cereal could fit on was gonna be interesting & dope. a friendzone beat would have made sense on that version too. then dr. dre came & made it boring with the west coast nostalgia.

Feb 23, 2003
Fresno, CALIF.
verse of the year, period. anyone who says its overrated, show me something that tops it (i'll wait) lol
Kendrick himself has put out other verses that are better than the one on Control.

ASAP Rocky, Pusha T, Action Bronson, JCole have verses off albums/mixtapes this year that are better than this verse as well.

Last edited: