Outrage in China after toddler run over, ignored..

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 3, 2002
Surveillance video of passersby ignoring the plight of a Chinese toddler hit-and-run victim has sparked international expressions of shock and horror--together with a bout of soul-searching in Chinese society.

The video is obviously disturbing. It shows a 2-year-old girl who was run over by a van that then drove off, leaving her bleeding on the street in the city of Foshan, in China's southeastern Guandong province, on October 13. For the next seven minutes, 18 passersby ignored the injured toddler, who was then hit by a second vehicle.

Video of incident, since aired on Chinese television and posted to Twitter and Chinese social networking sites, shows "more than a dozen people over the next seven minutes walk or drive past the girl on bicycles" as the girl is then "run over by a second truck," Reuters Michael Martina reported Monday. "A woman then pulls the girl to the side of the street before her mother, a migrant worker in the city, rushes into the frame."

The girl is now in a coma and hospitalized, Reuters reporting, citing a dispatch from China's state-run Xinhua news agency.

"Both drivers who ran over the girl have been arrested, Xinhua said, but Internet users have flooded microblogs decrying the apathy of the people who left her for dead," Reuters wrote.

"The shame of the Chinese people," wrote one user, Xiaozhong001, on Chinese social networking site Weibo, Reuters reported. "Really, what is up with our society? I saw this and my heart went cold. Everyone needs to do some soul searching about ending this kind of indifference."

"Many people in China are hesitant to help people who appear to be in distress for fear that they will be blamed," Reuters' Martina wrote in his report. "High-profile law suits have ended with good Samaritans ordered to pay hefty fines to individuals they sought to help."

Extremely Graphic, Be warned..

Shits hella fucked up. But now a days I could see something like that happening here. People just don't care anymore.

May 3, 2002
These were updates posted on youtube.

-------------- 16 / 10 / 2011 News Update --------------

Chinese authorities have supposedly have caught the first driver (the second is no worse in my opinion). "If she is dead, I may pay only about 20,000 yuan ($3,125). But if she is injured, it may cost me hundreds of thousands yuan," said the driver over the phone to the media, before he gave himself up to the police.

The girl has been pronounced "brain dead" by doctors and remains on life support in intensive care.

"She couldn't breathe on her own," said Wen Qiang, deputy director of the ICU department.

The most optimistic estimate is that the girl will remain in a vegetative state on life support.

-------------- 17 / 10 / 2011 News Update --------------

Police have detained both drivers.

-------------- 17 / 10 / 2011 News Update --------------

Unconfirmed reports that the toddler died on 16 / 10 / 2011:
"...doctors said the girl died yesterday from severe brain injuries she had suffered in the accident."

http://www.shanghaidaily.org/article/?id=484913&type=National

R.I.P. Yueyue, poor baby. :mad: so fucked up.

Feb 11, 2006
thats shit fucked up....hope that baby make recovery .i hope karma catches up up with every faggot that igonored that poor kid,knowing china it will be a death sentence when the faggots get caught

Feb 10, 2006
that shit made me fuccin mad! for realz, i couldnt even watch the whole thing...selfish fuccs. the world is fucced up...and the ppl in it, just to let that lil girl die in the street.

May 3, 2002
It was hard even to watch the impact. But once the driver's front wheels go over and then he sits there like oh, was that a baby??? and then go over her all slow.. fuck that shit, how could you do that too someone.. a baby, it makes you sick.

Feb 7, 2006
have a billion people in a country people dont mean so much anymore, plus the gov. is so outright corrupt that people let a baby be killed rather than let the police get them from helping out.

Dec 25, 2003
dog chinese people dont give a fuck about other people

you live in a giant ant colony its just another mothafuckin chinese

you ever notice how they bump into you and dont say shit? thats CPS

Dec 4, 2006

that's some real shit though haha..

those motherfuckers don't even say excuse me at all, it has happened to me several times at Fisherman's Wharf in SF...

Those motherfuckers will get away with it though...

Jun 21, 2005

that's some real shit though haha..

those motherfuckers don't even say excuse me at all, it has happened to me several times at Fisherman's Wharf in SF...

Those motherfuckers will get away with it though...
Shit i remember when i was a youngster and i was a toys r us with my mom( who was 7 months pregnant) and a Chinese lady rammed her cart in to my moms stomach and tried to walk off like nothing, and my mom ended up socking her in the face into the bicycles. I never did get my ninja turtle figure that day.... rude ass bitch.