** Official Prometheus Thread ** Spoilers inside.

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Aug 19, 2004
For me, the film series was pretty much dependent upon Weaver's Ripley character and HR Giger's designs.

I guess they pretty much have to redesign the alien after putting out mediocre movies like Resurrection, AVP and AVP Requiem. The public now sees those designs as synonymous with crappy movies.

Mike Manson

Still Livin'
Apr 16, 2005
Ridley Scott Cancels ALIEN Prequel – Announces PROMETHEUS Starring Noomi Rapace

Ridley Scott has cancelled the Alien Prequel he has been working on for the past year. Well… kind of.

It seems somewhere down the pre-production line Scott and 20th Century Fox decided to go in a different direction with their sci-project and have today boldly announced Prometheus, an ORIGINAL SCI-FI PROJECT but one that’s based on the same Damon Lindelof script, same basic idea as mapped out by Jon Spaihts and it’ll be a similar film to Alien but it won’t have any connections at all to the franchise.

Noomi Rapace (long-time Scott’s first choice) will lead the five role ensemble as scientist Elisabeth Shaw with Angelina Jolie and Charlize Theron both circling the other big feminine role, the tough but mega-hot Vickers. There’s no word on Michelle Yeoh or Michael Fassbender who Scott wished to cast previously for two of the other roles but it’s being reported that there’s three major male parts, so maybe Yeoh is out?

Prometheus has been set a March 9th, 2012 release date. Scott says;

While Alien was indeed the jumping off point for this project, out of the creative process evolved a new, grand mythology and universe in which this original story takes place. The keen fan will recognize strands of Alien’s DNA, so to speak, but the ideas tackled in this film are unique, large and provocative. I couldn’t be more pleased to have found the singular tale I’d been searching for, and finally return to this genre that’s so close to my heart.

In classic Greek mythology Prometheus was an intelligent Titan who stole fire from Zeus and give it to the Mortals but was punished for doing so by being bound to a rock whilst an eagle ate his liver, only for it to be grown back and eaten the next day and so on and so on. He is also of course blamed for creating man from clay, or something. It’s been a while since I was at school but clearly there’s a clue in the title of how the new movie will go.

Lindelof says;

“In a world flooded with prequels, sequels and reboots, I was incredibly struck by just how original Ridley’s vision was for this movie. It’s daring, visceral and hopefully, the last thing anyone expects. When I sat in a movie theater as a kid, feet raised off the floor for fear that something might grab my ankles, I never dreamed in my wildest imagination I would one day get to collaborate with the man responsible for it. Working alongside him has been nothing short of a dream come true.”

All the pieces for Prometheus should now quickly fall into place (so expect casting soon) as it will need to film this spring to meet it’s March release date next year. Dariusz Wolski (Alice in Wonderland, POTC 4) will shoot in 3D using the RED Epic cameras and legendary Alien creature designer H.R. Giger is rumoured to be on board.

So a lot to take in here…. breathe. I would love to hear your reactions to this news… surely we all think this is a pretty awesome turn of events?

Ridley Scott no longer needs to worry about making continuity work with a film he made three decades ago (!) and the sequels that came after it and I imagine a huge weight has left his shoulders… he now has the freedom to take his story in any direction he wishes. And of course, characters can survive where they previously couldn’t and he can build this into a franchise that could be a 21st century version of Alien rather than re-tread old ground.
The film started out as a prequel to the original Alien film.

Some recent history: there had been talks of a fifth Alien movie for years, with alternating contributions from James Cameron and Ridley Scott. In fact, Scott had committed to an Alien sequel or prequel about ten years ago, but aborted the project when the studio opted to make the AvP movies first, and Scott was no supporter of the Alien/Predator crossover franchise. After the disappointing box office from Aliens vs Predator: Requiem, the studio shelved the AvP franchise again to go back to the original plan.

The prequel film was supposed to cover the origins of the Weyland-Yutani Company.

However, recently it has been announced that the film will not be an Alien film at all, but rather an original project called Prometheus. Some ideas for the aborted Alien prequel may be used, and the story may contain elements reminiscent of the Alien backstory, but it will be a movie separate from the Alien Universe. As such, the future of the Alien series is now unknown.

Though this is said not to be an Alien movie, according to Skymovies.com, there is a rumor that the Aliens and the Space Jockeys will appear in this movie and that they are building a Space Jockey set, but no confirmation has been made yet.

According to Michael Fassbender, this is actually an Alien movie, he says it takes place in the Alien universe. http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2011/02/11/prometheus-alien-michael-fassbender/

Until more details emerge, it is hard know for certain. It currently seems that Prometheus is a film which takes place in the Alien Universe, but is not directly connected with the main storyline of the original Alien films.
This is kind of good and kind of bad news...

Mike Manson

Still Livin'
Apr 16, 2005
Ridley Scott Leaks Pretty Huge 'Prometheus' News Linking 'Alien'

It beginning to hit a point where there's just no way around avoiding Prometheus spoilers. The entire plot has already been let out of the bag and various stars have confirmed it shares the same DNA as Scott's breakthrough 1979 Alien. In an interview with Speakeasy, Scott talks about the film's central metaphor and also revealed something huge about the final eight minutes of the film. You have been warned.

The central metaphor of Prometheus is about a “higher being” who challenges the gods, and the gods don’t want to give him fire, says the site. "Fire is our first form of technology," Scott says, and so by taking fire, the higher being is punished "in perpetuity in a horrible fashion." Much like the story of the mythological god, Prometheus, who stole fire from Zeus and for his actions was bound to a rock with an eagle eternally devouring his liver.

But the big news is that the concluding eight minutes of the Prometheus story evolve into "a pretty good DNA of the 'Alien' one." Early reports were that Prometheus leads up to the space jockey crash landing and setting up the events of Alien.
http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/27147

Prometheus Cast
Tags: Cast, Characters, Prometheus Movie
Noomi Rapace
Noomi Rapace will play a scientist named " Elizabeth Shaw" on the expidition to the Alien world. Not much is known about her, but we have been hinted that there may be a flash back to her history prior to the events leading up to Prometheus, not much is known however what significance this could hold to the overall turn out of the film.

Michael Fassbender
Michael will play "David", a robot synthetic (a main character) on board the Prometheus venturing out into space. In the Comic-Con footage released earlier 2011, it shows David examining some form of liquid on his finger - suspected "Grey Matter" which is an integral part of the Prometheus Plot. David presents a very important role in Prometheus.

Charlize Theron
Charlize will play the role of "Vickers" in Prometheus, a company rep joining the team as they venture into the unknown. Vickers represents the "company" on board the Prometheus. Vickers is supposedly a very important part of the plot of Prometheus.

Kate Dickie
Bio Coming Soon...

Rafe Spall
Bio Coming Soon...

Logan Marshall-Green
Logan will be playing the role of "Holloway" in Prometheus.

Idris Elba
Idris will be playing "Janek" in Prometheus.

Sean Harris
Bio Coming Soon...

Benedict Wong
Benedict will play the role of "Ravel".

Emun Elliot
Emun will be set as "Chance" in Prometheus.

Guy Pearce
Bio Coming Soon...

Ben Foster
Bio Coming Soon...

Patrick Wilson
Little is known about Patrick Wilson's character. But in a recent interview with MTV, Patrick assured readers that his role was an "important" one, regardless of role size - as he was added to the Prometheus cast later in development.

Aug 19, 2004
The cast looks good. I'm glad Jolie won't be in the film. I'm glad their redesigning the aliens and downplaying any connection to the Aliens franchise.

The original started good, but with Resurrection and the AVP films it got too b-movie imo.

WXS STOMP3R

SENIOR GANG MEMBER
Feb 27, 2006
THE ORIGINAL WAS DOPE. EVEN ALIENS WAS OK TO A POINT, THEN THEY JUST DID TOO MUCH...IM HOPING ITS GOOD. THIS IS ONE OF THE FIRST FILMS THAT SCARED THE SHIT OUTTA ME WHEN I WAS A KID...THEN I SEEN EXORCIST AND FUCKED UP MY WHOLE PSYCHE.

Mike Manson

Still Livin'
Apr 16, 2005
Entertainment Weekly plays host to a handful of first every imagery from Prometheus, Scott's Alien prequel that looks beyond massive in scope. The pictorial appears to be of the "makers'" planet or ship, along with their own version of the Alien eggs. As previously reported, the film follows a team of explorers who discover a clue to the origins of mankind on Earth, leading them on a thrilling journey to the darkest corners of the universe. Put 1+1 together or find out on June 8, 2012.

Noomi Rapace, Michael Fassbender, Charlize Theron, Idris Elba, Sean Harris, Guy Pearce, Kate Dickie, Rafe Spall, Logan Marshall-Green, Benedict Wong, Emun Elliott, Ben Foster, Patrick Wilson all star.