Niner News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
New Stadium for 49ers, $500 million for Affordable Housing are secured

LENNAR $2 BILLION DEAL WITH SAN FRANCISCO ON CANDLESTICK BAYVIEW-HUNTERS POINT

http://www.sanfranciscosentinel.com/?p=17041

Nation, State suffer depression,
San Francisco has new hope for jobs, economic boom

A $2 billion agreement between the City of San Francisco and Lennar Corporation will finance the redevelopment of Candlestick Point and Hunters Point Shipyard and provide 7,500 permanent jobs, 10,000 new homes and 300 acres of parks and a site for the 49ers new football stadium.

“After many years of public input, we are excited to be advancing this project and progress in Bayview-Hunters Point,” said Kofi Bonner, President of Lennar Urban’s Bay Area division.

“In June, San Franciscans voted overwhelmingly in favor of this development. Today, this financing plan is proof of our commitment – in spite of these challenging economic conditions — to the vision of a new community in southeast San Francisco.”

The plan was approved this week by the joint Community Area Committee and Project Area Committee which is made up of representatives of the Bayview, Hunters and Candlestick Point communities.

The plan will now be presented to the San Francisco Redevelopment Agency and the Board of Supervisors in the coming weeks.

Lennar will contribute more than $500 million for the creation of 3,345 housing units – or nearly 32 percent of the residences planned for construction during the multi-year development, according to Bonner.

Lennar will offer to pay $100 million to the 49ers to help finance the cost of building a new stadium at Hunters Point Shipyard.

The environmental clean-up of the stadium site is scheduled to be performed in 2009, which would allow the 49ers to complete construction of a new stadium by 2013 if they accept Lennar’s offer.

Right now, the 49ers have no deal in Santa Clara to build a new stadium, but hope to have something on the ballot by late 2009. The 49ers do not have a deal with the Santa Clara City Council, nor have they announced any land, developer or financing plan for their alleged stadium plan in Santa Clara.

The National Football League is rumored to strongly favor San Francisco over Santa Clara and United States Senator Dianne Feinstein has publicly noted her support for the team staying in San Francisco.

Therefore, in summary, there is a real plan and financing for a stadium in San Francisco, and, conversely, absolutely no plan or money for a stadium in Santa Clara.

Most people would call this choice a ‘no brainer’ and accept the Lennar, San Francisco deal. As the old saying goes: “A stadium in hand in San Francisco is worth more than two stadiums in the bush-leagues.”

Lennar has pledged to also develop the 49ers new stadium site’s utility and transportation infrastructure and specialized grass parking lots, which will be used as athletic fields on non-game days.

This is a good plan for both the 49ers and the local community: instead of the stadium parking lots being blacktop and unused all year round, except on game days, the lots would become useable for soccer, baseball, basketball and other recreational activities for the community when not in use on Sundays by the team.

Additional key features of the Lennar development include:

– $29 million for home purchase assistance, nearly $9 million for workforce development, $3.5 million for scholarships and continuing education and a community directed Legacy Fund totaling $26 million over the life of the project.

– 600,000 square feet of regional retail space at Candlestick Point and 100,000 square feet of retail space to serve new neighborhoods at Hunters Point Shipyard.

– 2,150,000 square feet of office space to serve “green” business, science, technology, research and development and industrial uses.

– Rebuilding the Alice Griffith/Double Rock Housing Development.

– Creation of 7,500 permanent jobs.

– New permanent space for the Hunters Point Shipyard artist community and the International African Marketplace.

An environmental impact report is scheduled to be completed in April 2009 and public hearings will be held early next year on a formal development agreement for the project.

“This project allows the City of San Francisco to fulfill several priorities at once – improve Bayview-Hunters Point, keep the 49ers playing in the City and generate more park space and affordable housing at an unprecedented scale in city history,” Bonner said. “Working with the community and the City we look forward to turning this plan into a reality.”

To satisfy a requirement by San Francisco for economic diversification of the development, Lennar has joined with Hillwood Development and Scala Real Estate Partners to fund the project. This new partnership increases the overall financial strength of the development and shows it to be a fiscally sound investment, as determined by a third party auditor.

Hillwood and Scala have committed to long-term financing of the project. Their investment highlights the continued strength of San Francisco’s real estate market, where home values are holding despite a national downturn.

This good news from Lennar and Mayor’s office of the City of San Francisco could not come at a better time for San Franciscans. As the nation and state head into the worse economic period in past 70 years, this plan provides a “New Deal” for San Francisco that will provide much needed jobs, affordable housing, economic assistance and

The Lennar deal is important to every San Franciscan at this time in history. In San Francisco, we need the jobs and economic boost that this significant and historic community development will bring to our residents and our communities.

The deal is also important to the 49ers. As the team flails on the football field, in the front office, in Youngstown, Ohio, and elsewhere, accepting this offer from Lennar would be the best thing the team could do to help it restore some confidence in its fan base that the team is committed to the San Francisco Bay Area and will not leave when its ill-conceived Santa Clara plan falls apart for lack of funding, land and a development deal.

Let’s hope the 49ers say yes to this deal and to its loyal fan base in San Francisco. Right now, the team could use any positive publicity it can get. This would be a good start.

V

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
  • V

V

thats all nice and dandy but what happens to the people living there right now? The new housing they are gonna build will not be affordable enough for the people living there right now. I am all for a new niner stadium coz the one we got right now is a dump but like dude said above people living there right now gonna have to find another place to stay...

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
QB Hill Named Starter

http://www.49ers.com/pressbox/news_detail.php?PRKey=4821&section=PR News

Chrissy Mauck
October 27, 2008

UPDATE: Head coach Mike Singletary said at his noon press conference that it was still under discussion, but news came out later this afternoon that Shaun Hill will in fact start when the 49ers square off against the Arizona Cardinals two weeks from today.

"Coach Martz and I looked at the film. We talked about it a bit last night, we got together this morning and after looking at the film, really felt like Shaun Hill would be the best quarterback going forward," said Singletary. "We know exactly what Shaun Hill is. He’s very consistent, very professional and very steady. We just felt like right now, JT and all the turnovers and things like that, and not all of the turnovers were his fault, but just giving him a chance to settle in and get refocused on the techniques and all the other things he needs to do and who knows, before it’s all said and done, you never know. We’ll see."

"Shaun brings a steadiness about him. He does a good job. The confidence, the leadership, there are number of things to really like about Shaun. I’m excited that he’s going to be the starter and I know he’s excited. JT, it’s just one of those things, where we’ll give him time to refocus and we’ll see where we go."

EARLIER TODAY - The starting quarterback situation will remain a bit of a mystery for the time being as head coach Mike Singletary looks to get it exactly right for the remaining eight games of the season.

A week ago, his predecessor in Mike Nolan quickly announced on Monday that JT O’Sullivan gave the 49ers the best chance to win, despite his propensity for turnovers. Later in the week offensive coordinator Mike Martz supported that theory, claiming that O’Sullivan is on his way to being an outstanding quarterback.

While Singletary supported Martz in his assessment, the 49ers head coach doesn’t necessarily know if that makes O’Sullivan the right fit for right now.

"When you look at what JT has and the capabilities and the arm strength and all of those things, you say, 'hey, maybe that guy gives us the best chance to win.' But, you look around the league, there are guys who are very, very talented. They can throw the right ball. They can throw every pass. They can throw every route. They are very talented, they are very smart, but they can't play quarterback,” said Singletary. “JT has done a good job. He's just been inconsistent. Mike
Martz's assessment was correct, but sometimes you go back, and you look at where is the team, where is my quarterback situation, and we have to make the best decision to make the right fit. That's what we are talking about."

Singletary spent Monday morning watching film with Martz, pointing out things about the play of O’Sullivan and up to now, backup quarterback Shaun Hill. He vowed that a unanimous decision would be reached in terms of which player can best manage the game.

“I don’t mean going and throwing 2-yard outs, running the ball, and then another 2-yard out. I don’t mean that. I mean that quarterback has to be able to fit where we are right now, given what our defense can do, given what our special teams can do,” said Singletary. “Looking at using all of the tools on that offense, what can we do? As a quarterback, he has to be able to figure it out, and make the most of all the tools that he has available to him.”

O’Sullivan is second in the NFL with 30 passes of 20 yards or more, numbers that are indicative of his strong arm and accuracy, but his mistakes in his first eight starts have been extremely costly. He’s fumbled eleven times and thrown eleven interceptions, including two picks that resulted in returns for touchdowns. He’s also thrown three interceptions in the red zone.

Although Hill isn’t flashy and doesn’t have a cannon for an arm, he’s consistently been able to move the ball both in relief duty and in his two starts in 2007. The 49ers won both of the games he started, as the former third-stringer tossed five touchdowns in comparison to one interception.

For now, the situation remains unresolved, but Singletary did offer more insight on what a true game manager looks like, and Hill might just best fit that bill.

“Joe Montana - I remember watching Joe many times, looking at him when we were in the Pro Bowl together and thinking I can’t believe this is the guy who is beating us. I mean, he’s a small guy. You look at him and say, ‘How can this guy beat us?’ But he was wearing our tails out every time we played them,” said Singletary. “He didn’t have the greatest arm strength in the world but Joe could manage the game, and he could take the game where it needed to go. When I look at the quarterback situation, it’s kind of corky, kind of crazy how you figure it out. You just need a football player who can do whatever you need to do for the team to win.”

And Singletary made no bones about it – winning is the bottom line, and he doesn’t mean a popularity contest either.

Singletary was asked on Monday about the crowd’s boos over O’Sullivan’s mishaps on Sunday, and the boisterous applause that Hill received when he entered the game.

“Regardless of who is back there, whether it’s JT, whether it’s Shaun Hill- we win, all is forgiven and you go forward. Maybe JT goes out there on the field after the bye week and they boo, boo, boo and he throws a couple of touchdowns, and it’s like, ‘Go get ‘em JT.’ We all know how that works. So, that’s the least that I think about. The most important thing right now is that we come to a decision about what is best for the last half of the season, and giving ourselves a chance to get into the playoffs and fighting for a spot. To me, that’s the most important thing.”

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
Jed York steps forward as face of 49ers
http://www.sacbee.com/sf49ers/story/1344406.html
By Matthew Barrows
[email protected]
Published: Sunday, Oct. 26, 2008 | Page 1C

SANTA CLARA – The dark hair and dark eyes. The boyish face. The certain calm and comfort under the media glare.

The Bay Area and beyond did a collective double take Tuesday when a figure in a navy blue suit appeared before them to announce that 49ers coach Mike Nolan had been fired.

Eddie D?

The face at the lectern, however, didn't belong to Edward DeBartolo Jr., the beloved and longed-for former owner of the 49ers. It belonged instead to his 27-year-old nephew, Jed York, who has run the 49ers' day-to-day operations for months but who until Tuesday had stepped aside while his father, John York, handled big, football-related news.

It wasn't just the fans laying eyes on the younger York for the first time who were struck by the family resemblance.

John McVay was hired by DeBartolo in 1979 and was the team's director of football operations throughout its glory days in the 1980s and 1990s.

"I have a great sense of him," McVay said of York. "What I see in him is Eddie all over again. … He looks like him. He's built like him. And I see a lot of Eddie's charm in Jed. Just the way he reaches out to people. He's not standoffish at all."

For many longtime fans and observers, a fresh face is exactly what the 49ers need. The team's faithful had grown restless not just with Nolan, who had failed to have a winning season in 3 1/2 seasons, but with the organization as a whole.

Two weeks ago, Philadelphia Eagles supporters arrived en masse at aging Candlestick Park in a game the 49ers let slip away in the fourth quarter. Today's game against Seattle nearly left the 49ers with their first television blackout since 1981.

York certainly isn't flying solo at 49ers headquarters. In fact, he insists his parents are the true owners.

"Put it this way," he said. "If Roger Goodell needed to call someone about the 49ers, he would call my mother (Denise DeBartolo York) and father."

Still, Jed York, listed as "Vice President of Strategic Planning/Owner" in the team's media guide, is the only one of the three who works continuously out of the 49ers' offices in Santa Clara.

And he handled an awfully big piece of business last week.

Handling the dirty work

Shortly after the 49ers fell to the New York Giants for their fourth consecutive loss, the Yorks decided to fire Nolan and replace him with Mike Singletary. But they wanted to do so after today's game against the Seattle Seahawks, which precedes the team's bye week.

When ESPN reported as much Monday afternoon, Jed York thought the news would undermine the team's preparation for today's game. So he called his father, who was in San Francisco, and his mother, who was in Youngstown, Ohio, and the three agreed to fire Nolan that day.

And so he did in a one-on-one sit-down with Nolan. The two later were joined by general manager Scot McCloughan.

York has a small office that overlooks the team's practice fields. His desk is surrounded by family photos. Many are of Uncle Eddie or of his grandfather, shopping center developer Edward DeBartolo Sr., who bought the 49ers in 1977.

One of York's most cherished possessions is an old matchbook with the name of his grandfather's first construction company. Another is a framed dollar bill, the first dollar he ever made while working for the DeBartolo Corp. in Ohio in 1996. His grandfather, a product of the Great Depression, once had his first dollar framed and on display in his own office.

York also has several photographs of his father, with whom he is very close. Indeed, Jed York is the embodiment of two family lines 49ers fans see in opposite terms: the DeBartolos, who brought five championships to San Francisco, and the Yorks, whose 10-year reign has coincided with a fall to the bottom of the league.

The young owner may have the surname of the man 49ers fans don't trust, but he also has the ear of the man they adore.

Reached at the Tampa, Fla., headquarters of DeBartolo Sports and Entertainment last week, Eddie DeBartolo said he speaks with his nephew perhaps four or five times during the season and had talked to him that day

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
The NFL Network also had an item on Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice potentially joining the 49ers as team president. Reporter Adam Schefter said he had spoken to a 49ers official who said that was a possibility. Rice went to Stanford, she is friendly with former 49ers receiver and current league director of football operations Gene Washington and she's expressed interest in joining the league in some capacity. But how would she be welcomed in San Francisco? Her politics don't exactly scream "Bay Area." The prospect of Rice joining the 49ers got a chilly reception from show co-hosts Marshall Faulk and Warren Sapp, and I imagine it would get a similar response from most 49ers fans.

Speaking of 49ers officials, here's the story I wrote today about Jed York. I met York in his very modest-sized office Friday and he was nice enough to show me the photographs and memorabilia that are important to him. It is clear that he is very much a DeBartolo and very much a York and that he is very much the future of the franchise..

-- Matt Barrows

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
From the Locker Room
http://49ers.com/blog49/?p=208
TE Delanie Walker said he has a sprained left elbow but we’ll be back in time for the Arizona game.

TE Vernon Davis also spoke with the media about Sunday’s incident.

Davis said he spoke with his head coach this afternoon.

“He pretty much told me that I have to be aware of what is going on the field, if someone says something to me, I can’t let it bother me. I have to be bigger than them. I agree. I shouldn’t have retaliated.

Davis didn’t mean to intentionally ignore Singletary coming off the field on Sunday. “The thing about me, when I get heated, I just want to be myself. I didn’t really hear him calling me at the time. I didn’t really hear calling me at the time. I was just in another world, because I had everybody else saying something, I really didn’t hear anybody else talking. I didn’t say anything to coach, I pretty much listened to what he said. He told me to sit down, I sat down.”

Davis also responded to Singletary’s post-game remarks that indicated that he wasn’t a team player.

“I know that I’m a team guy. I asked him about that comment he made. He actually told me he didn’t mean that. He knows that I’m a team guy, I am. My teammates know it, I love my teammates, I love the coaches, I think they’re doing a good job. I would never do anything to hurt my teammates or put them in any kind of trouble.”

Aug 12, 2002
www.veronicamoser.com
I saw Dilfer last night talking about the situation, saying Hill would bring the team up and improve the offense.

I'd say he's by far the best QB they have, not that that's saying much, but he knows the system and I think the players have confidence in him, which helps.

Just give the ball to Gore more often.