Niner News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 25, 2002
as far as this season the deadline is passed but who knows in the off season what could happen..
The deadline passed long ago, but I'm talking about franchising him next year if he happened to come to SF. That would take him off the market because the price of taking a franchised player away from a team is too high. Then they could negotiate without any other teams bidding.

Dec 22, 2004
Right I thought u was still wondering if they where still going to get him....I was responding to that but yeah Franchise a player no team will risk there draft for him..Also you hold the cards for your player keeps them from leaving..

Dec 22, 2004
Right I thought u was still wondering if they where still going to get him....I was responding to that but yeah Franchise a player no team will risk there draft for him..Also you hold the cards for your player keeps them from leaving..

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
Niners fire Nolan after 2-5 start

i'm add this to the News Thread Too

http://blogs.nfl.com/2008/10/20/niners-fire-nolan-after-2-5-start/
The 49ers fired coach Mike Nolan on Monday, reports NFL Network’s Adam Schefter. Mike Singletary is expected to take over for the team.

In each of Nolan’s four years with the 49ers, the team opened the season 2-5. After starting with a 2-1 mark, San Francisco has dropped four straight games.

“We lost four games but at the same time, you’ve got a very strong group of players,” said Nolan when asked about his job security earlier Monday during his regular press conference. “I think that our players play hard week in and week out, that’s a sign that I think that they’re prepared. I think that the proof is in the players more than anything else. The missed opportunities and the penalties is something that we need to correct but we haven’t got a divided house.”

Nolan’s tenure as coach ends with an 18-37 record. His best finish came in 2006, when the 49ers went 7-9.

He becomes the third coach this season to get fired, joining Lane Kiffin (Raiders) and Scott Linehan (Rams).

Singletary has been the assistant head coach of the 49ers since joining the team in 2005. He was also the linebackers coach in 2005 and has spent the last three seasons working with the defense. He began his coaching career as inside linebackers coach with the Baltimore Ravens (2003-04)

Singletary was a Hall of Fame linebacker player with the Bears.

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
The 49ers signed center Eric Heitmann on Sept. 27 to a contract extension through 2011. The deal was first reported on Pro Football Talk.
Heitmann's contract was set to expire at the end of this season.

This poses the question: Why the 49ers would sign Heitmann to a new deal when the team just invested a fourth-round draft pick on center Cody Wallace?

But Heitmann's contract extension does not tie up a bunch of cap room. In 2010 and 2011, it contains $600,000 in per-game bonuses for being on the 45-man game-day roster

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
Mike Nolan has spent a lot of time the past two days on the phone, speaking with friends and family and many of his former players.

Nolan was fired Monday after going 18-37 in 3 1/2 seasons as head coach. Today, he was gracious enough to return my phone call. We spoke for about 15 minutes, and covered such topics as what went right and what went wrong.

Ultimately, he said he did not disagree with the decision to fire him because he understands his job was to win football games. He said he will be rooting hard for Mike Singletary to "make up the difference and do the things we couldn't do and win some games."

Here is the complete transcript of Mike Nolan's exit interview.

Q: How was the firing handled?

Nolan: It was uneventful. It just went down, and that was it. There was no drama.

Q: Did you sense it was coming?

Nolan: I have for a couple weeks.

Q: Why did you sense it?

Nolan: I don't know. Maybe I have ESP. (Laughs.)

Q: What could you have done so that it didn't turn out this way?

Nolan: Won more games. That's basically where it was. I don't disagree. It was frustrating. Last year was explainable to me. It was easy. There were a couple issues that had to get corrected. But this year . . . We didn't have an established quarterback, but at the same time he gave us a pretty good chance to win. And it was evident for most of the games, he did. And then we'd turn it over or the defense would go into a funk or something like that. More than anything else, it comes down to winning. And our window of opportunity ran out because of last year. If we looked last year like we do right now, I think it would be a whole different story. I think there'd be a lot more optimism in the air because it just looks better than it did.

Q: A lot of people thought when you hired Mike Martz you doomed yourself because if you lost you'd be out, and if you won, Martz would get all the credit and you'd probably be out anyway. Did you think about that?

Nolan: No. Obviously, I had to answer the question asked of me. I know Mike. Mike's a good friend. My objective is to try to win. I'm not into who gets credit and who doesn't. I know what goes on -- and who does what and who contributes and who hurts things and all those kinds of things. To let the outside influence a decision like that when I want to win, I didn't let that enter into it. If that's the kind of message that gets passed along, and we're winning, it wouldn't have gotten to me. It's just perception. I only had to recognize it because the question was asked of me a few times.

Q: Obviously, this was something that meant a lot to you personally because of the history with the 49ers. Is that the part that hurts you the most?

Nolan: Not really. The part that hurts me the most is probably twofold. One is that we didn't win. The other part was the relationships that were created - in particular with the coaches and players. Those are the two things. Any time there's change, it affects you. If you're winning a lot of games and there's a disagreement and you lose your job, the disappointment again is the relationships. But you feel good about the job you did because you won. In this case, there's the disappointment we didn't win, as well as the relationship that I have.

Q: When you were told was it just Jed York and Scot McCloughan in the room?

Nolan: I don't want to divulge who said what. As I found out today, everybody is throwing different things around. It was uneventful, that's all I can say.

Q: After you were fired, did you ask to meet with the players?

Nolan: No. As a matter of fact, that's what disappoints me, because it happened around 3:30. The ESPN thing got started around 2-something. It was a little disappointing that something wasn't said earlier in the day because I would've liked to at least talk to the players, but I didn't get the opportunity.

Q: Have you talked to a lot of players?

Nolan: I've talked to quite a few and a lot of it is text (messaging). . . . There's quite a few. Most of them I returned all the calls. I've been so busy with family and friends calling. At this point I'm just trying to return calls. Between now and the next few days, I'd like to speak with everyone on the team. I still have some calls to make, but I've spoken to quite a few already. Modern technology and texting saves a lot of time. . . . I'm going to start a blog and communicate with the players (laughs). And because it's a blog, I can say anything I want and it doesn't have to be accurate.

Q: Is that a commentary on my reporting?

Nolan: Not on yours . . . just on blogs in general (laughs).

Q: I know you and Frank Gore really hit it off. You treated him well, and he thinks very highly of you. What was that conversation like?

Nolan: It was sad. Yeah, that's the best way to describe it. It was sad.

Q: What's next for you?

Nolan: Today I got a nap. That felt good. Just taking it a day at a time. It's been too soon. I took my son to school and was able to do a few things I don't typically do this time of year. I'm not sure.

Q: Is there any doubt in your mind you'll some day get a chance to do this over and get it right somewhere else?

Nolan: Be a head coach?

Q: Yes.

Nolan: I can only be hopeful. That's like prior to getting the San Francisco job, you just try to do the best job you can. Hopefully, I'll have another opportunity. But I do love to coach - every aspect of it. Like I said, I can only hope.

Q: What are your thoughts about the 49ers fans and how they treated you?

Nolan: I appreciate them. I'm just as disappointed for them as I am for the players and coaches and everyone else involved. We lost and obviously as a fan you want the same thing we all want, which is to win games and to go to the playoffs. I feel for them, for their disappointment. But, there's a lot of football left -- they're not even at the midpoint, yet. Hopefully, Mike (Singletary) can make up the difference and do the things we couldn't do and win some games. It's a more friendly schedule, other than being on the road, in the second half. There are some great opportunities to win. Not to say that we didn't have some great opportunities to win, as well. At the same time, these last four games were difficult. We felt if we'd played better, with more consistency, we could've won.

Q: What kind of job will Mike Singletary do? Is he ready for this?

Nolan: We'll find out. This is his opportunity. Any time it's your first time, those questions remain. That's where Mike's at right now. I think Mike has great leadership ability. I think he'll keep the players together through a difficult transition. They'll have faith and confidence in him. But as you and I both know, there's a lot of things you experience when you become a head coach for the first time. Nobody wants to hear it, but it's a lot like parenting. Everybody says they're going to be a great parent until they have a child. Then, it's, 'Oh, my God, do I have to do this?' The great thing is that Mike already has a pulse on the team. He has three outstanding coordinators. There's a lot of things in place. Mike just has to lead the team. And Mike is a very good leader. We'll see.

Q: You had never been a head coach. You come to the 49ers and you were a very powerful head coach with final say on personnel. In retrospect, was that too much?

Nolan: No. As a matter of fact, it was more difficult after the change last year. I felt I had to watch it more closely. Maybe that's just a personality trait.

Q: What do you mean when you say you had to watch it too close?

Nolan: When you know have final say, you always know what's going on because nothing can be done without you. When it's the other way, whether it's important or not, you just like to be involved. But, again, that's just because it was a change. It was new; it was different. So it was a little unsettling early. I think it would've been the case either way. I was for it (giving McCloughan final say on personnel), and I still am. But it was different. I thought the first two years, we got an awful lot of work done. There's no question when we came in, the place was a mess. And I felt we made great strides in the first two years. It was unfortunate that last year, the third year, went so awry with some coaching losses and some player issues with the quarterback and all that. It didn't hit right. That year set us back. Like I said, if this year had been last year, there'd be a lot more patience and tolerance. I think there'd be a lot more optimism because you can really see it this year because it looks like it's on the verge. Whereas last year, it didn't look to be on the verge and it was supposed to. And I agree. It was costly.

Q: Let me take you back to 2005. Any regrets about Alex Smith as the No. 1 overall pick?

Nolan: I don't want to go there. That's an unfair question because you're not going to know until he gets an opportunity. He's been hurt the last two years. Anybody could answer that question because you're not going to know. That's not my area anymore. I don't have to answer that, but somebody else will, though (laughs).

Q: Mike Singletary said you had the hard part. Your job was to build the foundation. His job is to build u[on that foundation. Do you leave this job proud of what you did as far as getting the organization on the right track?

Nolan: I think he's right about what he's saying. The best gauge for where a team is at is in the locker room. If you got talent there and they're staying together and they're playing hard and performing and they're close . . . something has to happen for them to start winning, but at the same time there's a lot of things in the building that, without question, are better than they were. At this point, it's just about winning. The pieces are in place. The coaches are in place. It's about winning now. If Mike can get that right, I'll be as happy as he is.
Q: You've said in the past some of your best learning experiences we when things didn't go so well, such as the Redskins job. In the future, how will this make you a better coach?

Nolan: Oh, without question, it's been a difficult experience. Even from the beginning there have been a lot of trials and things - from a player (Thomas Herrion) dying in the locker room to a lot of unexpected things have happened on this job. Without question, I've grown a tremendous amount with it and gained a tremendous amount of experience. I'd still love to be here to coach and enjoying the successes that you reap when you go through all those things. But we're not. If another opportunity comes along, without question I'll call on the experiences that I've had - good and bad - to do a much better job next time.

And with that I thanked Mike Nolan for his professionalism in dealing with the daily beat reporters and answering a lot of difficult questions through the years. I wished him and his wife, Kathy, and their family all the best in the future.

Chree

Medicated
Dec 7, 2005
Forget about Tuesday. There were no surprises, nothing much to see.

Tuesday at 49ers headquarters, we had the usual kabuki theater that occurs when a new NFL coach replaces a fired one. Mike Singletary, the new guy, said he will do his best to win more football games than the fired guy, Mike Nolan. Anyone shocked by that? I didn't think so.

So don't obsess about Tuesday. Or even next Sunday. The next really big day is Monday, Dec. 29.

That is the day after the NFL season ends. And that is when the 49ers must make the next key decision about not just who will be coach for the 2009 season, but also how the team will structure things as it moves forward — and who will be making the decisions about that structure.

Singletary has goodwill on his side. He is a classy guy, a football nerd whose reputation as a great player adds power to his words. But if the history of NFL interim coaches is any indication, Singletary will not win enough games to make the playoffs or finish above .500.

Then what? Odds are, another new coach will be selected. General Manager Scot McCloughan, who evidently started up the machinery to dismiss Nolan, probably will be involved in that choice. That is, if the 49ers' ownership doesn't replace McCloughan as well.

In that regard, Tuesday did bring us one very interesting development. The person speaking for the 49ers' ownership was Jed York, the son of principal proprietors John York and Denise
Advertisement
DeBartolo York. At previous new-coach extravaganzas, John York has been at the podium.

We learned that when Nolan was given the bad news Monday, the two other people in the room were McCloughan and Jed York. That's also significant. In the past, John York has done the face-to-face firing. And he was definitely on the premises Monday. A television reporter saw John York leaving the facility with Jed York shortly after toward sundown.

It begs the question: Has Jed York officially become the York That Matters Most? Is he now the York making the decisions and speaking for the team?

"I'll continue to be a face of the ownership group," he said while taking a few questions after Singletary's media session. "But that doesn't mean that my mother and father are not a part of this."

If you wade through that double-negative declaration, Jed basically was saying that John and Denise still are involved in 49ers decisions — but are not necessarily the final deciders. Frankly, this can only be considered a positive development.

To longtime 49ers watchers, it has been apparent that Jed York is the family member who cares the most fervently about the team — and by extension, cares the most fervently about winning.

John and Denise York are not against winning. But they still live in Ohio. When the 49ers lose, few in their neighborhood care. John and Denise can go about their business without constantly being reminded how bad their team is. Jed can't. He lives in the Bay Area. He knows how much the fans care. He has loved the 49ers since he attended his first home game at 3 in 1984.

Fans who keep screaming for the Yorks to sell the franchise simply do not understand how much energy they are wasting with those screams. The Yorks are not going to sell the team. Got it? Jed and his siblings want to run the franchise. If you want the 49ers to pull out of their rut, they are your sole option. And some observers are eager to see it happen.

"Jed is their only hope," said one person who has frequent business dealings with many NFL owners. "He has the potential."

I thought about that assessment Tuesday when I asked Jed a simple question: What is wrong with his team? He did not try to double-talk or issue a plea for patience.

"Passion and intensity," Jed answered. "We have talent; there's no doubt that we have talent. We've got Pro Bowlers on both sides of the ball, actually all three phases of the ball. What we're lacking right now is that killer instinct, that finishing ability. "... We're not getting outplayed. I think we are getting out-intensitied. I don't think that's a word. But I'm going to use it anyway."

Does that quote remind you of anyone? Especially the "killer instinct" and "intensity" portions? Eddie DeBartolo Jr. was the last member of the 49ers' "ownership group" to speak that way. And I am hardly the first person to note that Jed York has a little bit of his uncle's blood-oath victory fixation.

We will see where that takes the franchise, starting Dec. 29. But there was one other phrase Jed York uttered that might have slipped past some folks.

"I promise that I won't rest until we re-establish a championship culture," he said.

Did you notice? He said "I." He did not say "we." So at least one member of the York family is taking the 49ers' miserable situation personally. It's about time.

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
i don't know but most likely even if sum people dont like it, but nolan will not be back next year as head coach
I ate my words, he didn't even last dat long....

The 49ers will be wearing throwback uniforms from the 80’s and 90’s on Alumni Day against Seattle on October 26 and on Fan Appreciate Day against Washington on December 28.
Hopefully they come out playing good wit those Throwbacks on

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
Goldson and McDonald Ruled Out
The team won’t practice until this afternoon but safety Dashon Goldson (knee) and Ray McDonald (knee) have been ruled out already for Sunday’s game.

The 49ers said that T Jonas Jennings isn’t supposed to practice today with his lingering shoulder injury, but Jennings then told the media that doctors have ruled him out for this week. Jennings has been out since dislocating his shoulder in the prior game against Seattle in week two.

“I’ve made a lot of improvement,” said Jennings. “I’m out of the sling. I definitely think I can play again this season.”

Here’s a list of other guys who aren’t expected to practice today:

Walt Harris (coaching decision)
Michael Lewis (knee)
Josh Morgan (groin)
Allen Rossum (groin)
Mark Roman (groin)

CB Nate Clements will be limited with a rib injury.

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
Seattle coach Mike Holmgren was patched through to the media trailer for his conference call. His first words: "It's kind of wild down there."
Indeed.
http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2008/10/holmgren-shares-his-thoughts-on-49ers-situation.html

When asked for reaction on what happened with the 49ers this week, Holmgren said, "You know, Mike Nolan is a good guy. He's a friend of mine. I don't like the in-season stuff. That shouldn't shock anybody. That's my profession, and it's hard. I know his family and it's his heart. I wish him well."

Q: You obviously know Scot McCloughan well, too. What kind of relationship do you have with him?

Holmgren: With Scotty? Or, Scot, I should say now. He's an executive. . . . I have a good relationship with Scot, I believe. He was really a very competent, hard-working personnel guy when he was with me. And he's really a good guy.

Q: Did it surprise you that Scot felt compelled to do that to the guy who hired him?

Holmgren: You don't know what actually goes into something like that. Ownership has to be involved, executives have to be involved. Exactly how it came down . . . I'm sure Scot had to be the one to do it. I don't know the details, so I wouldn't comment on it.

Q: What do you know about Mike Singletary?

Holmgren: I know he was a great player. He was still playing for the Bears when I was coaching in Green Bay. And I don't know him very well, personally. But what I've read about him and heard about him from people who do know him well, he's like the best guy there ever was. He's a quality human being, and a very intense, bright guy. It's interesting when you have the great, great, great players like Mike was, who choose to go into coaching, it's interesting to me. Because coaching isn't as glamorous as being the star football player. But clearly he wants to do this, and now he gets his crack at it.

Q: I'm sure you'll be flattered to find out your held in very high regard in the Bay Area. And when all this stuff happens, a lot of people are talking about you, knowing this is last year last in Seattle. What are your feelings about landing with the 49ers at some point in the future?

Holmgren: When I was at high school, at Lincoln High School, and for years, that was my dream job and it never quite came to fruition. But times change and right now, I think it's been stated and I stated it to my own guys (beat reporters) for the 27th time, the plan for me and Kath(y) is to take a year off after this time in Seattle. We've been here 10 years, and we love it here, and that's the plan. More importantly, right now, I have to figure out a way to beat the 49ers. So that's first and foremost. While I'm flattered - we have a lot of friends in the Bay Area - that's the plan right now.

Q: Can you ever envision at some point coming to the 49ers in some capacity?

Holmgren: Well, you know what, if it's OK with you guys, I'm going to refrain from commenting on that. I think it would be unfair to a lot of people, Mike Singletary, being one. It's too much of a hypothetical. Things in this crazy business change on a day-to-day basis. I'm going to remain fairly consistent with that, if it's OK. I'm not going to get into it.

Q: You may have addressed this one 27 times, too, but how are you going to spend that year off?

Holmgren: Well, I'm going to ride my motorcycle a little bit. I'm going to hang out at the beach a little bit. We're building a new home in Santa Cruz, so we're looking forward to that. I have six grandkids now, believe it or not, two little grandsons finally came. All the things that I haven't been able to do for the last 40 years or so. . . Bill Walsh, I remember him saying when we were in training camp at Rocklin one year. We're sitting around the table at 11 o'clock at night, you know, drinking bottled water. He said, 'You know, I understand, I really hear August is a pretty nice month.' The point was, we live a different life. So we'll see how it goes the next year.

Q: I didn't know they had bottled water in those days.

Holmgren: Well, maybe it wasn't . . . maybe it was lemonade.

Q: Did it have a cork in the top of the bottle?

Holmgren: I know this, with Bill, it was not a twist-off cap.

Holmgren said he expects Seneca Wallce to start in place of injured QB Matt Hasselbeck on Sunday at Candlestick Park. Wallace completed 12 of 23 passes for 73 yards with a TD and an interception in the Seahawks' 20-10 loss to the Buccaneers on Sunday.

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
$2 billion plan for Candlestick, Hunters Point

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/10/22/BANK13LI7B.DTL

Details will be released Thursday for the planned $2 billion remake of the Hunters Point Naval Shipyard and nearby Candlestick Point into a neighborhood and business district - and possibly the construction of a new 49ers stadium.

The financial plan, hashed out between city officials and Miami developer Lennar Corp., is one of the first steps toward completing the huge development proposal approved by city voters in June.

It covers the costs of infrastructure, utilities, parks, transportation and land preparation, and it includes generous incentives to keep the 49ers in San Francisco. It does not address the cost of constructing housing and commercial buildings.

The finance scheme puts flesh on the bones of a plan approved by 61 percent of voters. It predicts an infusion of $618 million from Lennar and its development partners and an additional $1.4 billion raised mainly through tax-exempt government bonds.

Under the proposal, if the 49ers decide to stay in the city, they would lease the land for $1 a year and receive $100 million from Lennar to help build a stadium at the shipyard.

Some of the finance plan's details are likely to change before it is presented to the Board of Supervisors and other city commissions for approval. It will be presented as part of a binding development contract as early as fall 2009.

The plan comes as public and private financing for housing development in California is shaky. Yet city officials say that the plan has reliable backing and that San Francisco has unique land value.

"We are seeing sophisticated real estate investors continuing to fund pre-development planning work, demonstrating a fundamental confidence in the San Francisco economy and real estate market," said Michael Cohen, director of the city's Office of Economic Development.

Cohen said the land would be ready for development in approximately 10 years, and housing and commercial space could be completed in 15 years.

The proposed development plan would take 720 acres of public land - an area twice the size of Treasure Island - and build up to 10,000 units of market-rate and affordable housing, retail shops and an office park ringed by 300 acres of parkland. It would also rebuild a nearby, run-down public housing development.

Transportation arteries would be created to handle the development and increased population.

Because the shipyard is designated by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency as a toxic Superfund site, the Navy must clean individual parcels there before turning them over to the city.

Cohen said the city has secured enough funding from the Navy to complete one of four phases of development and expects to get the rest. The estimated remaining cost for cleaning the shipyard is $300 million to $500 million.

City leaders and Lennar have portrayed the project as a means of revitalizing the impoverished southeastern corner of San Francisco and as the best chance for holding onto the 49ers, who want to move to Santa Clara.

Aside from the $100 million from the developers, the 49ers would be responsible for the costs of building, operating and maintaining the stadium. Environmental work would begin on the site next year and construction could be completed by 2013, Lennar has said.

Team spokesperson Lisa Lang said Wednesday that the 49ers had not seen the financial report and that Santa Clara remains the team's first choice for a new home, even though a stadium deal there is not assured.

If the 49ers decide against San Francisco, Lennar and the city plan to expand the retail and commercial development component of the new development.

The real estate downturn raised questions about Lennar's ability to complete the project. The past six weeks - as mortgage problems have escalated, banking giants have foundered and credit markets remained tight - have heightened those concerns.

Esmael Adibi, director of the Anderson Center for Economic Research at Chapman University in Southern California, said it's likely that it will be difficult for both private firms and government entities to raise money for projects in the next two to three years.

The upside is that the partnership between Lennar and the city means that the project's sources of revenue will be broader.

"Right now interest rates are very high and borrowing is tough if you are public or private, and it will be that way for a while," Adibi said.

Cohen said Lennar added several equity partners to its development team during the summer, helping to ensure that the project could go forward on schedule.

Plan highlights
Here are the highlights of the finance plan to redevelop the Hunters Point Naval Shipyard and Candlestick Point:

-- $2 billion to complete infrastructure, utilities, parks and transportation arteries and to prepare land for building

-- Housing and commercial construction completed in 15 years, depending on market

-- $618 million invested by private developers who expect to make $1.3 billion in revenue

-- $1.4 billion in public investment, mostly from tax-exempt bonds repaid through taxes generated by new development and taxes on new residents and tenants.

-- $82 million toward community benefits, such as workforce development and training programs and home buying assistance