Niner News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Aug 7, 2003
^^^actually, thats good thinking, i didnt realize that. still might be quite a risk though, especially since the niners already lost a draft pick for tampering.
ummm i dont think the 9ers would do that again. i think you can talk to him becuase its trade season but after its over you cant talk to the players until after the super bowl or some shit.

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
Westbrook Out, Lawson Doubtful

October 10, 2008

Running back Brian Westbrook is the kind of player who keeps a defense on their toes, but the Eagles removed any more guesswork about the Pro Bowlers status by ruling him as out on Friday.

Head coach Mike Nolan reacted to the news following his team’s final practice on Friday afternoon.

“Even with Westbrook out, I think you find that Correll Buckhalter is a very good back, a very competent back, somebody they believe in. They’ve used him a lot in the past. It’ll give them a chance to maybe active Lorenzo Booker and use him more in the offense. Things like that are things we have to pay a little bit closer attention to, but at the same time, without seeing them on film, it’s difficult for the players sometimes to get a real good feel for what type of player they are playing against. So there’s a plus and minus to that for us.”

Starting corner Walt Harris said he had already expected to see Buckhalter in the game, whether Westbrook suited up or not. The Eagles backup has 30 carries for 114 yards on the year and one rushing touchdown. He also has 10 catches for 83 yards, including a 20-yard touchdown.

“He’s definitely a hard running back, he runs the ball well, and understand the scheme of the offense,” said Harris.

Also ruled out for the Eagles were Pro Bowl guard Shawn Andrews, and starting wide receiver Reggie Brown.

“We kind of anticipated the lineman,” said Nolan. “As for the receiver, they’ll probably get Kevin Curtis back, so it just changes the competition is all."

Curtis hasn’t played this year after having surgery in the off-season on a sports hernia, but the receiver took a full week of practice. He’s listed as questionable.

The Eagles leading sack leader in DE Juqua Parker is also questionable with a knee injury.

Linebacker Manny Lawson did not practice on Friday and will be doubtful for Sunday.

Linebacker Roderick Green returned to practice after battling a stomach virus this week, is questionable on the injury report, and will be a game-time decision.

Tackle Jonas Jennings did not practice this week and has been ruled out.

Safety Michael Lewis took a full practice and is probable.

By design, linebacker Takeo Spikes and defensive end Justin Smith didn’t take a full practice on Friday. Neither player has an injury; the 49ers just opted to rest the two veterans.

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
49ers (2-4) need some answers, and fast

http://www.mercurynews.com/49ersheadlines/49ers/ci_10714159?nclick_check=1

.T. O'Sullivan, who wasn't exactly in a chatty mood Monday, headed out of the 49ers locker room with plans to watch the "Monday Night Football" game.

The reigning Super Bowl champion New York Giants (4-1) just happen to be the 49ers' next opponent.

"Maybe I'll see something. I don't know," O'Sullivan said.

The 49ers better start spotting answers in a hurry because they are in increasing jeopardy of a sixth consecutive losing season. They are 2-4 after six games, which is precisely where they stood in 2006 and '07.

For things to turn around, O'Sullivan will need to play better in the fourth quarter. He ranks among the league's worst with a 48.1 passer rating in final quarters.

That ranks 37th out of the 39 qualifying NFL quarterbacks. Only Kansas City's Tyler Thigpen (48.0) and Seattle's Matt Hasselbeck (39.8) had lower marks.

Overall, in the fourth quarter, O'Sullivan is 23 of 47 for 299 yards with two touchdowns and four interceptions. In a loss to the Eagles on Sunday, he had two interceptions and lost a fumble over the final 7 minutes.

Asked about what he saw on film that needs correcting, O'Sullivan said: "The list is long."

For one, there was a throw on a hot route intended for Arnaz Battle, with the 49ers trailing by a touchdown and less than a minute to play. Eagles defensive end Juqua Parker jumped the route and returned an interception 55 yards for a touchdown to ice the game.

O'Sullivan said he made a mistake with the decision and should have thrown the ball to Josh Morgan on the outside.

Nolan said part of the reason he threw a red flag to challenge a field goal Sunday was that it was his only way of getting the officials to address his question.

Nolan thought that David Akers' 38-yard field goal missed and wanted to know if the ball was above or below the upright. If the ball was below, it meant he could challenge.

"First, let me say this: That did not cost us the game. So let's get clarity on that," Nolan said. "Other than that, yes, at that time (I threw the flag) it was because you're not getting any answers.

"When the (the referee) came over, that's exactly what I asked him. Is this play above the uprights or below? That's your call."

Randall Liu, a spokesman in the NFL office, said via e-mail Monday that the official underneath the goal post ruled that the field goal had gone inside the uprights and not over, allowing the replay to occur. Liu added that there was no indisputable evidence to overturn the call on the field.

Nolan lost both his challenges against the Eagles. That drops him to 12-18 on his career challenges, according to Mike Sando of ESPN.com. Sando notes that the 49ers coach is 6-14 when throwing the red flag at Candlestick.

Nolan remains confident in the system in which he gets input from those who watch the monitors in the coaching booth.

"We have had a very good challenge system. Yeah. Without question," he said. "I get what I see and they get what they see and we go from there. It's a collective decision, but obviously I have the final decision, whether it's challenged or not. But we've been very successful in the past."

Though the reeling 49ers defense ranks 28th in the NFL in points allowed per game, Nolan said there were no plans for lineup changes. Asked specifically about safety Mark Roman and cornerback Walt Harris, the coach said each player would retain his current role.

"It's not as if we've been blown out the last three weeks," Nolan said. "We've been in the games we need to win.

"If there's anything that's disappointing from these last three weeks it's that these are games that we felt that we should have won — that's the biggest disappointment."

In successive weeks, the 49ers have lost 31-17 to New Orleans, 30-21 to New England and 40-26 to Philadelphia.

Zak Keasey is out for the season. The only fullback on the roster is headed for injured reserve after suffering a torn right biceps Sunday. Nolan said the 49ers are undecided about how to fill Keasey's role. One obvious candidate — Moran Norris, cut after losing out to Keasey in training camp — was signed Monday by the Detroit Lions.

In-house candidates to fill Keasey's absence include tight ends Delanie Walker and Billy Bajema, and running back Michael Robinson.

Nolan said that he has had no discussions with General Manager Scot McCloughan regarding potential deals in advance of Tuesday's trade deadline.

Nolan listed the return of linebacker Manny Lawson (hamstring) this week as "probable."

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
Putting in Work

http://www.49ers.com/pressbox/news_detail.php?PRKey=4761&section=PR News

On top of the time spent on the practice field and in meeting rooms with the coaches, many of the 49ers spend hours on end at the team facility getting treatment, watching film and doing the extras needed to hone their craft. Only in his second year, defensive end Ray McDonald consistently stands out as one of those guys who has no problem putting in extra work.

McDonald, a third round draft pick in the 2007 National Football League Draft has been at the team facility so often that 49ers team owner John York might soon have to ask him to pay rent.

Whether he’s out on the practice field stretching his legs out first thing in the morning after a tough home game against the Eagles, or staying late in the evening to work on hand speed by boxing with assistant strength coach Mark Uyeyama, McDonald has earned a reputation around the building for being a tireless worker. The 6-foot-3, 290-pound starting defensive end typically arrives at team headquarters around 7:30 in the morning and sticks around usually until seven at night, all with the mindset of becoming one of the best defensive players to ever play the game.

But it’s not like this is new behavior for McDonald.

Growing up the son of a University of Florida football player, Ray McDonald Sr., the 49ers defender had an excellent role model in place.

His father, who played wide receiver for the Gators from 1982-85 and once graced the cover of Sports Illustrated, has to be happy that his son followed in his footsteps, yet it wasn’t an issue he ever forced.

“I think he let me do my own thing,” McDonald said. “He let me choose my own path. And he never pushed me to play a certain position on defense or offense.”

By the time ninth grade came around, McDonald was convinced to play football by someone other than his father.

“One of my coaches told me I needed to come out and play football and that he had a spot for me to play on the defensive line,” McDonald remembered. “He said I could be a good defensive lineman, so I think that’s how I started playing. I’ve been playing that position ever since.”

During his high school days, McDonald became a talented pass-rusher, and envisioned himself being the next Jevon Kearse at Florida.

“I used to go to all their games growing up. We always went to Gainesville for track or football games, so I always wanted to go there,” he said.

As a freshman for the Gators, McDonald was the only rookie defensive lineman to start on opening day. He also became the first to start all 12 games in a season.

While his career was off to a good start, it only took one play to almost derail his success on the field all together.

“My junior year, it was the third game of the season against Tennessee. In the start of the second quarter, I came off the ball and I twisted my right knee on the play before, but I didn’t think anything of it. And on the next play, my ACL just shot.”

McDonald looked into surgery to fix his torn ACL, and missed three games before deciding to finish out the season.

“It was horrible,” McDonald said of the initial ACL injury. “A lot of my family members in the stands were wondering why I was still out there playing. Everybody could tell I was hurt. They thought I should get the surgery and I ended up doing that, but at a high cost.”

McDonald tried to play hurt so he could help the Gators win, but ultimately he made the health of both knees worse by overcompensating for his injured right knee and relying more on his left knee for extra strength.

“I went out there for another five games and I ended up tearing my left one in the last game of the season. So I ended up having two ACL surgeries after my junior year,” McDonald said.

As low as those times were, McDonald experienced the ultimate success the following year as a National Champion, following a 41-14 victory over the Ohio State Buckeyes in the 2006 Tostitos
BCS National Championship game.

Though winning a National Championship was one of the best nights of his life, McDonald can’t help but wonder what would have happened differently, had he taken better care of his knee immediately.

Since he didn’t have the same athletic burst coming off the two ACL surgeries, McDonald felt he missed out on a chance to be drafted in the first round.

“I’m thankful that we were able to make it to the National Championship and win, but as far as the long haul of my career, I think it kind of stopped me from going much higher in the draft, he said.

“Looking back on it, if there was one thing I could change in my past, it would be that. I wished I would have gotten that surgery in my junior year.”

A nightmare of an experience at the NFL Combine all but sealed his fate out of the first few rounds.
“I ended up getting salmonella poising from eating a peanut butter and jelly sandwich before the combine, and I lost about 15 pounds,” he said. “I was supposed to be a certain weight and I ended up being 260 pounds.

“So I tried to drink like two big jugs of water and I was 276 pounds after drinking all that water. It was horrible because I couldn’t do anything, because I was sick. I couldn’t run, I couldn’t do any of the agility tests, I couldn’t do lifting, even the IQ tests, I was like, ‘I don’t feel like doing this.’ I was too sick.”

Despite the horrific experience, McDonald was selected by the 49ers, a team he grew up following as a kid. The experience was bittersweet for McDonald, who was happy to be selected, but yet a little bitter over not being selected higher.

“During the draft, I was at my house. And I was outside mad and pissed off that I was seeing guys drafted, who I thought were not better than me,” he recalled. “I was walking outside and coach Manusky called me and said, ‘Are you ready to be a Niner?’ and I’m like, ‘Yeah!’ Then, my name flashed across the screen and I was like, ‘Thank God,’ because I was a nervous wreck that whole day.”

After going later in the draft and suffering from a bad case of food poisoning at the Combine, McDonald arrived in San Francisco with a chip on his shoulder, ready to prove to the 49ers and the entire NFL, just how good of a player he really was.

In his rookie season, McDonald saw action in nine games and recorded his first sack on Jeff Garcia late in the season. The first sack in his NFL career, was a play McDonald will never forget.

Even if it was luck.

“I was unblocked. I saw things open up and I just ran towards the quarterback,” he said. “Nobody was blocking, so I thought I might as well get the sack. It was exciting. Even looking back on it a year later, I was happy to get that. You don’t get too many of those in the NFL, where you’re unblocked and nobody picks you up.”

McDonald predicted his sack would come and he even gave Garcia a heads up.

“I had told him earlier in the game, ‘I’m going to get you.’ And I got him,” McDonald said.

Registering his first sack was a big accomplishment for the rookie, but as important, was his overall growth as a player in his first NFL season. Although McDonald came in with more developed technique than most rookies entering the NFL, a credit to his Florida coaching staff and advice from his father – the youngster learned a great deal more from his former teammate Bryant Young.

“Growing up watching football, the 49ers were my favorite team. I used to always watch guys like BY. And just being here with him, that was a blessing for me. Being able to know a guy like that, a baller, and a future Hall of Famer, and to get to see him work every day, I enjoyed and appreciated it.”

Young’s work ethic rubbed off on McDonald.

“By listening to the older guys like BY talk about how they treat their bodies, that’s something I paid a lot of attention to when I got here,” he said.

With his rookie season behind him, McDonald worked tirelessly in his first ever NFL off-season to get himself ready to make more of an impact in his second season. And when the 49ers brought in Justin Smith to play on the opposite side of the defensive line in free agency, McDonald became even more excited about what was going to happen in his second year with the 49ers.

Through six games, McDonald’s play has been a bright spot. In six starts, McDonald has totaled 19 tackles, and against the Patriots two weeks ago, he picked up his first sack of the season. His lone sack isn’t indicative of the pressure he’s put on opposing quarterbacks as McDonald also has 11 quarterback pressures.

This past week against the Eagles, McDonald blocked a David Akers field goal that teammate Donald Strickland recovered and returned it 41 yards for a touchdown.

“It was a big play for us,” McDonald said after the game. “They were coming out, firing out on their field goal unit. Our special teams coach saw that and called a great play on that. And I came through and blocked it.”

While he has made standout plays on both defense and special teams, McDonald credits the veteran Smith for helping him improve his play. The duo has effectively used pass rushing stunts to get pressure on the quarterback, and they’ve formed a tight bond rather quickly.

“We’re good friends,” McDonald said. “When you’re close with somebody, you know what kind of moves they like to use and then you can communicate with each other very well out there. I think that’s one thing we do on the field, we’re always communicating. A lot of guys don’t do that. But when you’re communicating, you know what the other guy is doing, and you can go a long way.”

And with Smith and McDonald pressuring opposing quarterbacks in the backfield, it might not be long before McDonald reaches his ultimate dream.

“I want to be known as one of the greatest players to ever play the game. That’s how I look at it. If I’m going to do something, I’m going to do something to the best of my ability. I just don’t want to be someone they remember, who played football and you can forget about when I leave. I want guys to remember me like Bryant Young. Everybody will remember him, he was a hell of an athlete. That’s my goal.”

As long as he continues to put in the hard work leading up to Sundays, McDonald should have no problem being remembered by the 49ers Faithful.

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
Former 49er running back Elliott dies

According to the Richmond Daily News' online obituaries, former San Francisco 49ers running back Lenvil Elliott passed away yesterday.

Elliot started his NFL career in 1973 when he was drafted by the Bengals. He then played for San Francisco after being traded to the team in 1979 and retired in 1981 after helping the team to win their first Super Bowl.

Lenvil O. Elliott I, 57, of Richmond, died at 11:10 p.m., Sunday, Oct. 12, 2008, at the Ray County Memorial Hospital in Richmond.
Lenvil was born on Sept. 2, 1951 in Lexington, the son of Lenvil Nelson and Helen Constance (Williams) Elliott; they both preceded him in death.
Lenvil was a 1969 graduate of Richmond High School. He received his B.A. degree in education from Northeast Missouri State College in Kirksville in 1972. He was drafted by the Cincinnati Bengals and played running back from 1973 to 1979. He was then traded to the San Francisco 49ers and played running back from 1979 until winning Super Bowl XVI and retiring in 1981. He was also a member of the Laborers Union Local # 1290. He lived most of his life in Richmond and was of the Christian faith.
Survivors include: one son, Lenvil O. Elliott II of Cameron; one daughter, Melissa R. Elliott, and her companion, Jon Seever, of Richmond; one sister and brother-in-law, Brenda Bowler and her husband, Allen, of Anchorage, Alaska; two grandsons, James Kearney II and RaShaad Elliott; and his former wife and lifelong friend, Linda Elliott, of Richmond.
In addition to his parents, one brother, William A. Elliott, preceded Lenvil in death.
The family suggests memorial contributions be made to Lenvil's grandsons' education fund.
Visitation will be held from 7 to 8 p.m., Wednesday, Oct. 15, at Thurman Funeral home in Richmond. Funeral services will be held at 1:30 p.m., Thursday, Oct. 16, at the funeral home. Inurnment will be at a later date.
Arrangements are under the direction of Thurman Funeral Home in Richmond.

Apr 25, 2002
you cant negotiate contracts while under the tag......so if you tagged him he would end up seeing the market...
You can tag him and work out a contract immediately afterward. There is a deadline for tagged players, after which you cannot negotiate a contract until the next year. But if the Niners got him this season and applied a franchise tag at the end of it, they would be allowed to work out a contract extension with him before the deadline. Seeing as how the price is so steep for a franchised player, no other team would be in the mix, therefor giving the team a better chance at signing him long-term.

I know how the tags work, oh great watcher of football.

Aug 9, 2006
You can tag him and work out a contract immediately afterward. There is a deadline for tagged players, after which you cannot negotiate a contract until the next year. But if the Niners got him this season and applied a franchise tag at the end of it, they would be allowed to work out a contract extension with him before the deadline. Seeing as how the price is so steep for a franchised player, no other team would be in the mix, therefor giving the team a better chance at signing him long-term.

I know how the tags work, oh great watcher of football.
how often does it really work out that way? yeah there time where you CAN work something out.....but how many times has it actually HAPPENED....not many if ANY....

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
49ers Claim T Barton

The 49ers claimed and were awarded T Kirk Barton off waivers from the Miami Dolphins. Barton was originally a seventh round pick out of Ohio State by the Chicago Bears in this year’s draft. He was waived by Chicago following the season opener and claimed off waivers by Miami.

Coach Nolan expects Barton to meet the team in New York. He also said that T Jonas Jennings is doubtful for this Sunday. Jennings has yet to practice since injuring his shoulder in the Seattle game.

To make room on the 53-man roster for Barton, the 49ers finally moved cornerback Shawntae Spencer to injured reserve. Spencer was lost for the season in week two when he tore his ACL while competing against the Seahawks.

LB Manny Lawson is probable for Sunday, and if healthy, should see more playing time.

Nov 20, 2005
According to the Richmond Daily News' online obituaries, former San Francisco 49ers running back Lenvil Elliott passed away yesterday.

Elliot started his NFL career in 1973 when he was drafted by the Bengals. He then played for San Francisco after being traded to the team in 1979 and retired in 1981 after helping the team to win their first Super Bowl.
yeah i read about this. RIP

~k.

Jun 1, 2002
BEFORE THIS POST I THOUGHT U THOUGHT SHIT OUT BEFORE YOU TYPED. STABLER BETTER THEN YOUNG? FUCCCCCCCCK NO! BETTER THEN ALEX SMITH? SURE.

THIS IS WHY I DISLIKE RAIDER FANS, THEY DONT KNOW SHIT!
STEVE YOUNG WAS A GOOD SCRAMBLER WHO THREW A GANG OF TD'S AND HAD A CRAZY QB RATING BECAUSE HE PLAYED WITH JERRY RICE THROUGH HIS PEAK YEARS. GET OFF HIS DICK ALLREADY. YOU'RE OBVIOUSLY A STEVE YOUNG FAN. HE WAS AN OVERRATED, PERIOD. THE WAY THE NINERS SHIT ON MONTANA AND WORSHIPPED YOUNG WAS A DISGRACE.

I ACTUALLY THINK YOU DON'T KNOW SHIT ABOUT KEN STABLER. HAVE YOU EVER WATCHED ANY OF HIS OLD GAMES? ASK ANY OLD NINER FAN WHO WATCHED HIM PLAY WHO THEY'D RATHER HAVE IN A CLUCH SITUATION, YOUNG OR STABLER, SEE WHAT THEY SAY.

WHEN I SAY OLD I MEAN SOMEONE OLD ENOUGH TO HAVE SEEN STABLER PLAY.

I WON'T HOLD YOUR REMARKS AGAINST THE OTHER NINER FANS ON HERE. YOUR PROBABLY THE BIGGEST HOMER ON THIS SITE, PREDICTING WINS AGAINST THE SAINTS AND EAGLES. FUCKING HILARIOUS.

Apr 25, 2002
how often does it really work out that way? yeah there time where you CAN work something out.....but how many times has it actually HAPPENED....not many if ANY....
It really doesn't matter how often it happens, the fact of the matter is it CAN happen while you tried to tell me it couldn't.

I guess watching all that football doesn't necessarily mean you know everything about the sport, huh?

And besides, most players that get tagged have already been on the team that tagged them for a few years. TJ would only be with the Niners for less than one full season. On top of that, seeing as how he would easily be the best receiver we'd have, I think they would give him a contract he wouldn't mind signing. He'd finally be the #1 guy making #1 money.

It can happen. Is it probable? No. But the point is it is logical.