Niner News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
49ers: Santa Clara stadium to open early, in 2014; groundbreaking this spring
http://www.mercurynews.com/top-stories/ci_19941012

Santa Clara leaders on Friday vowed for the first time to open the San Francisco 49ers' new stadium in 2014 -- a year earlier than planned -- after finalizing a deal with a major construction firm to start building in the next few months.
The groundbreaking for the South Bay stadium is set for late spring, about six months sooner than the previous estimate of early 2013.
The fast-tracked schedule is the strongest evidence yet that the 49ers intend to play only two more seasons at Candlestick Park in San Francisco. And there are costly consequences if the team doesn't kick off in Santa Clara in 2014: Construction partners Turner-Devcon would face tens of millions of dollars in penalties if the project falls behind.
"We're going to be playing football here in 2014," Santa Clara Mayor Jamie Matthews said. "I have no doubt whatsoever."
Friday's pledge comes just a week after the NFL approved the final $200 million needed to fund the Niners' new home field, which removed the last obstacle before construction could begin.
The deal, to be approved by Santa Clara officials Tuesday, includes an $878 million construction contract with Turner-Devcon, a partnership of two firms that have been helping to plan the stadium since 2007. It is the largest piece of the overall $1 billion stadium development, which also includes such things as site prep work and a nearby parking garage.
The contract requires Turner-Devcon to start buildingby July 1 and finish the stadium so it can open by the end of August 2014. If not, the firms would be penalized $6 million for each 49ers game missed, plus daily fines that could hit $20 million.
The penalties are harsh enough that the firms could actually lose money on the deal if they don't finish the project on time. On the other hand, if they complete the stadium in time for the 2014 preseason, the 49ers will reward the firms with a $5 million bonus.
City officials called the $878 million contract a "conservative" estimate they expect to go down. Turner-Devcon will earn 4 percent of the total contract, which, based on the current estimate, would net the firms $35 million. Their fee was the lowest offer received by the 49ers, which called the companies the best qualified.
Turner Construction is a huge New York City-based firm that has three Bay Area offices, including one in San Jose. It has worked on NFL stadium projects for the Green Bay Packers, Kansas City Chiefs, Denver Broncos and Philadelphia Eagles. Devcon Construction is much smaller and based in Milpitas. Neither firm could be reached for comment late Friday.
But 49ers Chief Financial Officer Larry MacNeil expressed encouragement.
"We have more work ahead and we will shoot to open the new stadium in 2014," MacNeil said in a statement.
The 49ers and Santa Clara had been shooting to start construction in January 2013 and open the field for the 2015 season. But after the pair secured $850 million in bank loans in December, the NFL approved the rest of the funding last week.
"I know everyone is anxious" to start building, Matthews said.
The Santa Clara Stadium Authority, which consists of the pro-stadium City Council, is set to finalize the contract Tuesday night. It is also expected to approve a $390,000 consulting contact with Hatheway Consulting to help manage construction and an $830,000 deal with Willis Insurance Services of California for insurance broker services for the project.

Dec 4, 2006
Shit...I'd love to see Stevie Johnson as a 49er as well...but in order for him to get the job done, the 49ers need a QB that can actually execute tricky plays...something Alex lacks of..

Feb 12, 2004
Matt Maiocco was on 95.7 and was saying exactly what I was thinking. With the 49ers trying to get all of their key guys back don't expect them to sign any of the big free agent wide receivers(V Jackson, D Bowe, etc) and look for them to address their needs in the draft. I'm cool with this. I have faith in Baalke and Harbaugh picking the right guys that can be coached up.

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
Council's vote speeds 49ers' scheduled departure from S.F.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000...vote-speeds-49ers-scheduled-departure-from-sf

The Santa Clara City Council approved Tuesday night a package of resolutions that include the opening of a new San Francisco 49ers stadium in time for the 2014 season.

The San Francisco Chronicle reported the council voted 5-1 in favor of an $878.6 million contract for construction of a 68,500-seat stadium that would begin in July, about six months earlier than anticipated, and would finish by August 2014.
n December, Santa Clara, Calif., approved an $850 million loan to help pay for a new stadium, which is slated to cost more than $1 billion to build. The 49ers also are getting $200 million in loans and payments from the NFL to help build the facility.

Santa Clara is 45 miles southeast of San Francisco and borders the city of San Jose. Its population is about 118,000.

A joint venture of Turner Construction and Devcon Construction will design and build the stadium, and the companies could pay as much as $20 million in penalties if the project isn't finished on time.

A group called Santa Clara Plays Fair is trying to force a referendum on the $850 million loan, saying that voters were not fully informed of the financial risks when they approved the project in June 2010.

Jan 12, 2006
WILL THE SAINTS KEEP COLSTON?

I have no doubt that the New Orleans Saints and Drew Brees will come up with a new agreement over the next few weeks, but I have some real concerns on whether the Saints can resign wide receiver Marques Colston to a long term deal.

If the Saints can do what I believe will happen and negotiate a new deal with Brees before free agency, the Saints will put the franchise tag on the best offensive guard in the NFL in Carl Nicks, and I feel the tough negotiations will be with Colston.

Agent sources tell me that if the Saints can't come to terms on a new deal before free agency starts that the San Francisco 49ers will make a huge money play to acquire him.

The 49ers have one of the elite tight ends in the business in Vernon Davis but have no other real threat downfield, and high-ranking members of the 49er organization feel as though Colston will fit their system due to his size and ability to outmuscle defenders for the football.
http://www.houmatoday.com/article/20120204/OPINION01/120209790/1103/sports04?p=3&tc=pg

Dec 12, 2006
I dunno based on my Madden experience this guy is a slow ass poession reciever and in no way is he gonna put up anywhere, anywhere, near the stats over here as with the Saints who throw the ball maybe 3x as much as us in a season, lets get someone with some burners and have the safetys drop deep and kill em with vernon over the middle or use the play action to go vertical

Dec 12, 2006
Yea but what receivers really step out of the draft and take over, AJ Green was leaps n bounds bettern than any other WR in the draft just like Calvin Johnson was it seems like its just as likely we get a WR deep in the first or the third or fourth that has an impact...Harabaugh imo has said very little about crabby..he would be a nice trade piece...hes got too much attitude for me to like

Dec 4, 2006
Yea but what receivers really step out of the draft and take over, AJ Green was leaps n bounds bettern than any other WR in the draft just like Calvin Johnson was it seems like its just as likely we get a WR deep in the first or the third or fourth that has an impact...Harabaugh imo has said very little about crabby..he would be a nice trade piece...hes got too much attitude for me to like
If trading Crabtree can fix the problem, go for it.... but I don't think he's the problem.. (QB) ....get it?

Dec 12, 2006
Aye as keyed as I am currently I will kick the shit non biased, Harbaugh at the very least likes achieving success through Alex Smith because most if not all wrote him off as a bust right? Thats demonstrated in his speeches about him to the golf bullshit last weekend so thats the narrative....what else is there to talk about...as far as WRs we have not had a burner since......brandon lloyd?? why not let Vernon own the middle vs LBs in coverage and corners? U mos def seem like you want a more aggressive vertical attack not someone whose gonna move the chains and run short slants

Dec 12, 2006
Thats fine your entitled to that stance but VD has been our deep threat for years but we get a burner use VD and Josh over the middle and there YAC goes up like a mofo we draw more man coverage and run the screen with kendall

Dec 4, 2006
c'mon dude.... V. Davis can't be our only deep threat..we need WR's for that..

Alex Smith still can't execute passes to deep field WR's ...but then again, we never had any good deep WR's ..

Dec 12, 2006
Yea thats what im tryin to say, crabby or other possesion WRs are not deep threats, VD is cuz he draws the favorable matchup lets get somebody with sub 4.4 speed to stretch it out and gut teams with VD, Marques Colston is not that guy thats where im comin from and I know your not gonna like this but look at our offense as more of a college based scheme of fundementals vs a free lance throw all over the place of the Saints and Colts of the past