Niner News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Dec 12, 2006
Props

I thought Brady played like garbage all game especially the 4th quarter, he threw the welker ball to the wrong shoulder and fucked it up and he had a bad throw to deion branch at the end too

Sep 15, 2009
Lmfao @ the meme

Who do you guys want to see signed as a free agent? I'm bored as fuck without football lol. Do you think Carl Nicks would be worth the money?

Nov 14, 2004
inShare1
San Francisco 49ers' Ray McDonald arrested on outstanding warrant

By Cam Inman
Bay Area News Group
Posted: 02/08/2012 10:00:32 AM PST
Updated: 02/08/2012 02:23:58 PM PST

Ray McDonald, a fifth-year defensive lineman for the 49ers, was arrested early Wednesday morning in Sunnyvale for an outstanding warrant, stemming from his 2010 arrest for suspicion of driving under the influence in San Mateo County.

McDonald, 27, was released from the Santa Clara County Main Jail just after 7 a.m., according to Sgt. Jose Cordoza of the Santa Clara Sheriff's Department.

Sunnyvale police pulled over McDonald for an apparent traffic violation and he was arrested at about 2 a.m. when officers learned of his outstanding arrest warrant, according to Sunnyvale Capt. Dave Verbrugge.

"No other charges filed," Verbrugge said. "He was cooperative and no problems."

McDonald was seen entering the team's Santa Clara facility Tuesday afternoon for an apparent offseason workout.

"The 49ers are aware of the recent matter involving Ray McDonald," the team said in a statement. "We are gathering the relevant facts and monitoring the developments closely."

McDonald is the second 49ers player arrested in the past two weeks. Outside linebacker Aldon Smith was arrested on charges of driving under the influence Jan. 28 in Miami Beach. The Sacramento Bee reported that Smith registered .194 and .175 on two breathalyzer tests to determine his blood-alcohol level.

McDonald started all but one game this past season, producing a career-high 2 ½ sacks in the NFC Championship Game loss to the New York Giants on Jan. 22. A
Advertisement
third-round draft pick out of Florida in 2007, McDonald signed a five-year, $20 million contract in July.

McDonald was arrested by the California Highway Patrol on June 12, 2010 for suspicion of driving under the influence in San Mateo County.

Following that 2010 arrest, McDonald told reporters at the 49ers facility: "I just want to let you all know that whenever it works itself out, you'll know everything that's going on. I just want to apologize for making this a distraction because that's not my intent. My intent is to come out here and work hard and try to win ballgames this year."

Jan 12, 2006
How to spend the Niners $30 million in cap space

Don’t be surprised if the Niners don’t resign free agents Carlos Rogers or Ahmad Brooks.

The Niners have roughly $30 million in cap space. They’re most likely going to franchise tag Dashon Goldson, so $6.2 of that would go to him. Another $7 or $8 million will go to Alex Smith, probably.

Then there are the guys who will probably come back on cheap contracts – Joshua Morgan, Adam Snyder, C.J. Spillman, Blake Costanzo, Tavares Gooden. Then there are the draft picks and the practice squad guys who the Niners have to sign.

After all that, the Niners will probably have around $10 million in cap space. That might not be enough to bring back both Rogers and Brooks.

Rogers is one of the best cornerbacks in the NFL because he can cover a team’s No.1 receiver or their slot receiver. He said he’d resign with the Niners for slightly below market value, but he still wants a four or five year contract. He’ll be 31 next season, the same season the Niners think Chris Culliver will be ready to start. Tarell Brown is under contract for one more season, and he’s a starter, too. Plus, the Niners really like Tramaine Brock.

So, they’re not desperate for Rogers. They may be better served spending money on someone else.

What about Brooks?

Brooks played almost all the downs for the Niners elite defense last season. He can “set the edge” in the run game, rush the passer (seven sacks) and even drop back in coverage. He’s a complete 3-4 outside linebacker who can play all three downs. Players like Brooks are rare and valuable. The Niners won’t be able to resign him cheaply. Could they afford to lose him?

Here’s why they could: Aldon Smith will most likely be a three-down player next season at right outside linebacker. This season, Parys Haralson played first and second down at that spot and Aldon Smith came in for him on third down. The Niners didn’t draft Smith with the No. 7 overall pick to be a situational pass rusher for his whole career. They were breaking him in slowly in 2011, but in 2012 he’ll probably play almost every single defensive snap.

So, the Niners could move Haralson over to left outside linebacker, Ahmad Brooks’ spot, and draft a situational pass rusher to play third downs and compliment Haralson like Smith did in ‘11.

Or, DeMarcus Dobbs could be the situational pass rusher who splits time with Haralson. The point is, the Niners have options if Brooks wants more money than they’re willing to give him.

If they let Rogers and Brooks walk in free agency, they’ll have the cap space to make a competitive contract offer to one of the top wide receivers on the market, like Vincent Jackson or Dwayne Bowe or Marques Colston or Stevie Johnson or DeSean Jackson.

Or, they could sign a younger replacement for Rogers, like Brandon Carr or Richard Marhsall or Terrell Thomas.

Or, they could sign an older pass rusher, like Robert Mathis.

Or, they could put all this aside and go after the best, most expensive free agent: DE/OLB Mario Williams, who would make the Niners’ already great defense the best defense of all time.

If I were Trent Baalke, I’d have a long talk with Mario Williams and his agent before I signed or resigned anyone.

What would you do?

Nov 14, 2004
Holy crap, i didnt know Mario Williams was gonna be a F.A sign that man, with a beastly pass rush the secondary will improve, +the young guys they got back there could prove to develop into good players. aaaaaaand get Bowe man is it too early to want the season to start already?? lol

Sep 15, 2009
Mario Williams is a certified beast but he's a 4-3 end. Who knows how good he would be as a 3-4 DE. We would have to switch to a 4-3 and even then, Aldon, Cowboy, and Williams are DE's.

Jan 12, 2006
49ers renew GM Trent Baalke's deal

Associated Press
SANTA CLARA, Calif. -- The San Francisco 49ers have confidence in Trent Baalke leading them for the long haul.

The general manager on Friday received a three-year contract extension through the 2016 season. CEO Jed York tweeted that negotiations were finalized over a recent dinner.

"Contentious contract negotiation w/Trent over dinner. Didn't finalize terms until after we finished the chips & salsa," York tweeted.

York also formally announced Friday the addition ...
http://espn.go.com/nfl/conversation...49ers-reward-gm-trent-baalke-3-year-extension

Feb 12, 2004
Biggest priority is re-signing all our core guys like Smith, Rogers, Brooks, Goldson, Spillman, Costanzo, Gooden, etc and cutting the fat(Rachal, Moran). Then there's guys that we might need to to re-sign like Snyder, Ginn, Grant, etc but might be able to replace them via the draft or have some rookies from last year that are ready to step up(Kilgore might be ready to replace Snyder).

Overall re-sign our key guys and work through the draft. I honestly don't expect us to sign any of the top tier free agent wide receivers, but maybe someone in the middle. Draft is everything tho. DRAFT DRAFT DRAFT!! That's the best and smartest way to build success for a long period of time.