Niner News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jan 12, 2006
Source: SF native QB Jeremiah Masoli of Ole Miss via Oregon, where he led Ducks to Rose Bowl before getting dismissed, will sign w/ 49ers.

Undrafted rookie OT Derek Hall of Stanford will be signing with the 49ers, source says.

Utah DT Sealver Siliga, come on down. You're the next undrafted rookie who has a trip to the 49ers awaiting.

RT @MrBeiler Tomorrow this time ill be in San Fransisco. > WR Tyler Beiler from Bridgewater agrees with 49ers.

Dec 12, 2006
San Francisco 49ers: Harbaugh Speaks

So how does 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh feel now that the lockout is broken and the start of training camp begins in a mere 72 hours?

"Yeah, I'm nervous; I'm worried. It's part of my job to be that way," Harbaugh admitted Monday, solidifying his reputation as a detail-orientated coach concerned about every aspect of his team. But that's not to say the enthusiastic coach isn't excited about finally having players circulate in the team's Santa Clara facility.

The 49ers will open their doors at 7 a.m. Tuesday and all players are welcome on a volunteer basis to meet with coaches and condition. However, those not signed will have to leave the building once training camp begins, which will be some time on Thursday. Free agents of any kind will then have to vacate.

Teams can begin signing free agents Friday at 3 p.m. West Coast time. However, free agents cannot take part in practice unless the last details of the Collective Bargaining Agreement are finalized and the new league year is declared open. The deadline for that to happen is Thursday Aug. 4, however, it could happen at any time.

This could impact quarterback Alex Smith, who said Monday he expects to sign a new contract at the earliest opportunity. "My mind is made up," Smith said. "I'm not waiting for anything."

However, Smith might have to wait six days or before he can re-join his team, depending on the opening of the new league year. That means the only signed veteran, David Carr, could get plenty of snaps and so could rookie Colin Kaepernick, if he signs quickly.

Beyond that, Harbaugh offered little insight on whether he would pursue a veteran, free-agent quarterback to compete with Smith, Carr and Kaepernick.

"At every position we are going to address all avenues that are out there," Harbaugh said. "We are not going to give away any plan. ... We don't think it's in our best interest to talk about what we are going to do."

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/ninerinsider/detail?entry_id=93923#ixzz1TEBS9K5j

Feb 12, 2004
49ers pay Alex Smith $5M on one-year contract

49ers agreed to terms with QB Alex Smith on a one-year, $5 million contract.
They're overpaying him -- no one else would've bucked up $5 million for the former No. 1 overall pick bust -- but at least it's only for one year. The 27-year-old Smith should only be a "bridge" to second-round pick Colin Kaepernick, who could push for starts sooner than most expect. We've seen Smith's act before, and he is gunshy in the pocket with very mediocre talent as a passer. On a good team, he'd be no higher than No. 2 on a depth chart.

Dec 4, 2006
49ers pay Alex Smith $5M on one-year contract

49ers agreed to terms with QB Alex Smith on a one-year, $5 million contract.
They're overpaying him -- no one else would've bucked up $5 million for the former No. 1 overall pick bust -- but at least it's only for one year. The 27-year-old Smith should only be a "bridge" to second-round pick Colin Kaepernick, who could push for starts sooner than most expect. We've seen Smith's act before, and he is gunshy in the pocket with very mediocre talent as a passer. On a good team, he'd be no higher than No. 2 on a depth chart.
5 mill for a year? WHAT THE FUCK! WAAAAAAY TOO MUCH!

Takeo Spikes gone to SD.
Sucks that he's going to another team, but that big ass neck of his made him somewhat slow. The 49ers need a faster player to replace him...

Jan 12, 2006
5 mill for a year? WHAT THE FUCK! WAAAAAAY TOO MUCH!

Sucks that he's going to another team, but that big ass neck of his made him somewhat slow. The 49ers need a faster player to replace him...

the niners seem to be rebuilding from scratch. theyre are getting rid of all the players drafted/signed by mccloughan/nolan. I hear dashon/lawson/franklin are next. Fuck Balkee and the Yorks!

Dec 4, 2006
the niners seem to be rebuilding from scratch. theyre are getting rid of all the players drafted/signed by mccloughan/nolan. I hear dashon/lawson/franklin are next. Fuck Balkee and the Yorks!

I'm hoping Franklin gets signed, Dashon....I'm not too thrill about him, he hasn't done shit really. He should be cut, Lawson shouldn't be cut though..he can still save plays..

Oct 23, 2009
fuuuuuu, Spikes signed with the Chargers

Between him and Franklin and Lawson, our run support will take a dip. I hope Fangio is planning on using pure speed to attack from all angles cuz between Aubrayo and Takeo's neck, the middle isn't as good.