Niner News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
The NFL released the schedule for the 2011 preseason ... assuming there is a 2011 preseason. The 2011 season is in jeopardy due to the current lockout between owners and players. However, if the season takes place, the following will be the San Francisco 49ers' preseason schedule.

Week 1
Saturday, August 13 - @New Orleans Saints

Week 2
Saturday, August 20 - Oakland Raiders

Week 3
Saturday, August 27 - Houston Texans

Week 4
Thursday, September 1 - @San Diego Chargers

The Raiders and Chargers are regular preseason matchups for San Francisco. The Hall of Fame game will feature the St. Louis Rams and Chicago Bears on Sunday, August 7.

The regular season schedule will be released later this month.

Oct 23, 2009
Harbaugh think Alex Smith has skin like an armadillo

Jim Harbaugh has made it clear to Alex Smith that he will have a clean slate should the quarterback return to the 49ers for the 2011 season. Sure, that may be the case when it comes to Harbaugh and his coaching staff. But it's hard to see Smith, who was easily the most polarizing 49er when the 2010 season ended, ever getting a clean slate with 49ers fans.

I asked Harbaugh on Tuesday whether Smith could ever truly succeed in San Francisco if even mere incompletions are met with boos as was the case in the 2010 regular-season finale against the Cardinals. Smith completed 15 of 29 passes for 276 yards in that victory and threw deep touchdown passes to Ted Ginn and Vernon Davis.

Harbaugh paused. Then he chuckled.

"Well, the question is, 'Do you have baby deer skin or skin like an armadillo?," he said. "That's where the rubber meets the road there. If someone doesn't like me or doesn't cheer loud for me - is he going to be deep and emotionally scarred by that? I mean, most true competitors, most men like that would take offense to somebody inferring that about him."

Harbaugh thinks Smith has armadillo skin, and it's clear he'd like Smith to be on his roster for the 2011 season. According to multiple sources, there is an offer on the table - for one year - for Smith to return to the 49ers. Before the league year ended in February and before Smith became an unrestricted free agent, Harbaugh told reporters that "talks are going on" between the 49ers and Smith's representatives. I asked Harbaugh Tuesday whether the 49ers made an offer to Smith before the league year ended last month. His reply: "The NFL does not want us to comment on contract situations."

Smith, of course, did not sign a deal and can't do so with any team until the lockout ends or is lifted. Although he is a free agent, he continues to work out regularly with teammates in the South Bay. So far, those workouts are limited to the weight room, but the players involved say that they are trying to organize on-field sessions as well. Two receivers, Josh Morgan and Kevin Jurovich, are part of the workout group.

At the end of the season, Smith strongly intimated to a Bay Area News Group columnist that he would not return for a seventh season in San Francisco. Since then, however, the 49ers not only hired a head coach who knows how to handle quarterbacks - a first for Smith - but one who has heaped praise on Smith at every opportunity. The current labor situation also may give free agents like Smith only a limited window to find new teams. Additionally, Smith and his wife are expecting their first child next month. Smith hasn't spoken publicly since the season ended, and attempts to reach him this week were unsuccessful.

Harbaugh feels that Smith could handle a seventh year in San Francisco despite a skeptical fan base.

"He's a tough son of a gun," Harbaugh said. "I watched four really solid years of every snap the guy took - getting hit in the pocket, picking himself back up, playing under adversity, fierce competitor. I don't think (booing) will affect the guy."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wish Harbaugh would just cut ties with Alex and sign a vet who can carry the team until he can groom someone for the future. Instead he's on some T.O. shit...

Chree

Medicated
Dec 7, 2005
Roddy White and Alex Smith: A Twitter tale
Posted on April 15, 2011 by Eric Branch

Just when you thought there was no real NFL news during the lockout, Falcons wide receiver Roddy White, presumably without prompting or provocation, delivered Tweet No. 1,430 of his career this afternoon.

White’s missive reads as follows: “Why is the 49ers wasting their time with alex smith they need to move on better yet try to get luck next year would be good for them”

White quickly followed with career Tweet No. 1,431: “2 coaches have been fired for tht mans performance.”

A few hours later, White “apologized” … “Ok 49ers fans I’m sorry I take tht back alex smith is a great players and the 49ers should sign him to a 5 year deal btw I don’t have anything against alex smith wht so ever he is a great guy”

and u thot the 49ers’ 2010 season was bizarre lol

Oct 23, 2009
Niners '11 Games

Week 1 - Seahawks @ 49ers
Week 2 - Cowboys @ 49ers
Week 3 - 49ers @ Bengals
Week 4 - 49ers @ Eagles
Week 5 - Bucs @ 49ers
Week 6 - 49ers @ Lions
Week 7 - Bye
Week 8 - Browns @ 49ers
Week 9 - 49ers @ Redskins
Week 10 - Giants @ 49ers
Week 11 - Cardinals @ 49ers
Week 12 - 49ers @ Ravens Thanksgiving
Week 13 - Rams @ 49ers
Week 14 - 49ers @ Cardinals
Week 15 - Steelers @ 49ers Monday Night
Week 16 - 49ers @ Seahawks
Week 17 - 49ers @ Rams

Discuss..........

Chree

Medicated
Dec 7, 2005
49ers agreed to terms with former Notre Dame NT Ian Williams.
He was SI.com draft analyst Tony Pauline's No. 1-rated undrafted prospect. Williams played nose tackle in Notre Dame's 3-4 defense, so he'll at least be familiar with the formatting of San Francisco's defensive system. It's also a great fit for the 6-foot-1, 319-pound prospect because the 49ers only have four defensive linemen under contract and are losing Aubrayo Franklin.

Dec 4, 2006
49ers agreed to terms with former Notre Dame NT Ian Williams.
He was SI.com draft analyst Tony Pauline's No. 1-rated undrafted prospect. Williams played nose tackle in Notre Dame's 3-4 defense, so he'll at least be familiar with the formatting of San Francisco's defensive system. It's also a great fit for the 6-foot-1, 319-pound prospect because the 49ers only have four defensive linemen under contract and are losing Aubrayo Franklin.
Aubrayo Franklin its dope, they should just sign him ...

Oct 23, 2009
49ers undrafted free agent tracker

It didn't take long for the 49ers to snag some undrafted free agents. While the team can't officially sign them until Tuesday morning, they can begin negotiating today. And the 49ers apparently have been busy already. Here's a list that I'll be updating as news comes in:

C Chase Beeler, Stanford
NT Ian Williams, Notre Dame (reported by Roto Word's Evan Silva)
OL Donovan Edwards, Cal
DE DeMarcus Dobbs, Georgia (NePatriotsdraft.com)
WR Joe Hastings, Washburn
WR Dontavia Bogan, South Florida
WR Tyler Beiler, Bridgewater