Niner News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
Extra picks tempt 49ers to draft two QBs
http://www.csnbayarea.com/03/26/11/...landing_maiocco_v3&blockID=491255&feedID=5936

Expect the 49ers to do some trading during the draft.

The two compensatory picks they received from the NFL are off-limits and cannot be dealt, but the 49ers have 10 other picks that they can use in a trade. (Last year, the 49ers spent a fourth-rounder to jump two spots in the first round to secure tackle Anthony Davis.)

Of course, the price is steep to move up in the first round. But the 49ers have plenty of ammunition to go up for somebody -- perhaps a quarterback -- in one of the other rounds, too.

Speaking of quarterback . . . with six picks in the last two rounds, the word is that the 49ers appear serious about taking a second quarterback in this draft.

David Carr is the only 49ers quarterback under contract for 2011, and the odds are not great he will stick with the club past the final cuts with his "cap figure" of $2.375 million.

Until there's a new collective bargaining agreement, teams will not be able to sign undrafted rookies to contracts. Therefore, the 49ers are kicking around the plan of selecting a second quarterback in the sixth or seventh round.

Assuming the 49ers also select a quarterback within the first three rounds, this would give Jim Harbaugh and quarterbacks coach Geep Chyrst two young quarterbacks to develop. The late-round quarterback would be ticketed for the practice squad. But he would also have the opportunity -- depending on how things break -- of landing on the 53-man roster.

Regardless, the 49ers would also be intent on adding a veteran once they are allowed to do so. They will look toward the free-agent market at the possibility of signing Matt Hasselbeck, Marc Bulger or, yes, Alex Smith. And they would also investigate trade opportunities for Kevin Kolb, Carson Palmer or Josh Johnson.

My guess is the 49ers would be thrilled to select either Christian Ponder (Florida State) or Andy Dalton (TCU) with their second pick in this draft -- whenever that second pick might occur. If the 49ers wait until their third pick, Ricky Stanzi (Iowa) is someone who might be targeted.

My favorite late-round option is Scott Tolzien (Wisconsin).

49ERS 2011 DRAFT PICKS

1. First round: No. 7 (7th overall)
2. Second round: No. 13 (45th overall)
3. Third round: No. 12 (76th overall)
4. Fourth round: No. 11 (108th overall)
5. Fourth round: No. 18 (115th overall, from San Diego in 2010 draft-day trade)
6. Fifth round: No. 10 (141st overall)
7. Sixth round: No. 9 (174th overall)
8. Sixth round: No. 25 (190th overall, from Seattle for Kentwan Balmer)
9. Seventh round: No. 8 (210th overall)
10. Seventh round: No. 30 (230th overall, from Detroit for Shaun Hill, originally belonged to N.Y. Jets)
11. Seventh round: No. 38 (238th overall, compensatory)
12. Seventh round: No. 49 (249th overall, compensatory)

The 49ers have set up an official visit with Baylor nose guard Phil Taylor, reports National Football Post. Taylor is also scheduled to meet with the New York Jets, Pittsburgh, Cleveland , Indianapolis, Tennessee, Kansas City and New Orleans Saints.

Read more: Maiocco: Extra picks tempt 49ers to draft two QBs
Tune to SportsNet Central at 6, 10:30 and midnight on Comcast SportsNet Bay Area for more on this story

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
49ers' Being Floated for HBO Reality Show
http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/sports/49ers-Being-Floated-for-HBO-Reality-Show-118443739.html

Jim Harbaugh may not be as entertaining as Rex Ryan but then again few NFL coaches would be.

Still the San Francisco 49ers are just one of several teams who are being looked at to entertain the football masses on HBO like Ryan's New York Jets did last season.

NBC Sports is reporting that if there is an NFL season in 2011 that the 49ers are being looked at along with the Dallas Cowboys, the Seattle Seahawks, the Miami Dolphins and the Denver Broncos to be featured on HBO's reality series "Hard Knocks."

The show goes behind-the-scenes of one NFL team each season as the players and front office gear up for the upcoming season.

The 49ers landing the gig is a bit of a long shot. The front runners to land the gig appears to be the Tampa Bay Buccaneers but the network has not announced any teams it is officially looking at.

But with the San Francisco Giants landing their own reality television show, HBO coming to San Francisco would not be out of the question.

The 49ers have been a trendy pick in recent years to do something on the field. And with the off season acquisition of Harbaugh as the team's leader, the 49ers could be once again seen as a real shi shi pick.

If only the team could solve that lingering quarterback issue.

Feb 26, 2006
My guess is the 49ers would be thrilled to select either Christian Ponder (Florida State) or Andy Dalton (TCU) with their second pick in this draft -- whenever that second pick might occur. If the 49ers wait until their third pick, Ricky Stanzi (Iowa) is someone who might be targeted.
I've said it before and I'll say it again: Ricky Stanzi is the truth. I hope the 49ers grab this kid in the early rounds. I watched all the Iowa games last season and this QB has the accuracy and mobility to make it in the NFL. He kind of lacks zip on the deep ball, but with Harbaugh's take on what makes a good QB (accuracy, IQ, and mobility), I believe Harbaugh has the tools to make him the 49er QB of the future. His QB-INT ratio is unbelievable and he had several Joe Montana-esque come from behind 4th quarter victories last season.

Dec 12, 2006
Stanzi looks good but I thought Alex Smith was hella good in college too so Ima leave it up to Harabaugh. Whoever we draft I dont really want em to have to start right away

Dec 4, 2006
That's whats up Guerrero! I can't believe nobody recognized him....what a shame!

I hope I find a Iupati jersey before the season starts, I couldn't find one last year...

Feb 26, 2006
Niners have a date with Patrick Peterson
http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2011/03/niners-have-a-d.html

LSU cornerback Patrick Peterson, whom many see going to the 49ers next month at pick No. 7, has set up a visit with the team, according to his agent. Peterson is scheduled to meet with nine teams. He will be in Santa Clara on April 19th and 20th. He is not scheduled to visit the Raiders.

Peterson is universally considered the top cornerback in the draft, and some, like CBS draft guru Rob Rang, feel he's the best player in the draft. Peterson has drawn comparisons to Charles Woodson and Rod Woodson.

"I don't want to be the next Charles Woodson, but I definitely want to pattern my game after Charles Woodson," Peterson said at last month's scouting combine. "He can play each and every defensive position on the field. If they gave him the opportunity to play D-tackle or D-end, he'd definitely do it. That's something I want to show the world that I can learn the scheme and understand the scheme as well. Playing if they need me to play dime, if they need me to play corner, strong safety, rover, I'm definitely down for it."

The biggest reason why Peterson may drop to No. 7? That cornerbacks historically are not taken at the top of the draft. Only one -- Gary Glick in 1956 -- has been taken No. 1 overall. The last cornerback selected in the Top 3 was Shawn Springs in 1997.

Remember to check in on the 49ers draft tracker to see who has scheduled visits to Santa Clara ...

-- Matt Barrows

Dec 4, 2006
^A Iupati jersey would be dope, I have a feeling that guy is gonna be a perennial pro bowler and a beast like Larry Allen.
He'll mos def be a pro-bowler without a doubt...the guy is a beast and makes no mistakes at all!

I hope we do land Patrick Peterson in our 1st pick, that's who I have in my mock draft....

Dec 12, 2006
I've been looking at alot of Mock Drafts and most I have been seeing lately have Nick Fairley of Auburn dropping down with the rise of Marcell Dareus of Alabama. The 9ers need some youth on the D-line and I was wondering wat the 9er fans of the siccness thought about going pass rush in the first round.

Oct 23, 2009
I think there are bigger holes to fill with the 1st pick (DB, OLB). Plus the fact that a 3-4 DE isn't going to get big numbers in our scheme doesn't help either, its mostly a position that stops the run and puts some pressure on the QB so that the OLB's can get the sacks.

Sopoaga finally stepped up a little this past year and was solid with Smith being a beast on the other side. I'm not sure it would be a easy transition for a young DT to go into a 3-4, just look at Balmer's garbage ass.

Jan 6, 2005
hope we land peterson in the draft with our #7 pick he wore #7 so 7x7= 49 its destined for him to come to SF...but if we dont and v miller is still available we take him and start him our lb corp would look like this miller-spikes-willis-lawson and then we can sign aso as our cb.

Dec 12, 2006
I'm not sure it would be a easy transition for a young DT to go into a 3-4, just look at Balmer's garbage ass.
I hear ya I didnt know that harabaugh was keepin the 3-4 so maybe ur right about OLB but Im talkin about a scenario where Peterson is off the board and lets say both Prince and Nick Fairely are there I would lean to take a beast on the DL, we went O-Line last year and of course that was Singleterry motivated but that may turn out to be the saving grace of his time with us if Anthony Davis steps up. Balmer was a fuckin bum but that wasnt really a surprise and he went to the football powerhouse that is UNC

Dec 4, 2006
hope we land peterson in the draft with our #7 pick he wore #7 so 7x7= 49 its destined for him to come to SF...but if we dont and v miller is still available we take him and start him our lb corp would look like this miller-spikes-willis-lawson and then we can sign aso as our cb.
that's who I hope we draft ...lots of mock drafts have him as #7..