Jim Harbaugh

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Oct 19, 2004
SOUTHEAST DAGO
This might be my first ever post in the Siccness Sports Board, but I'm a big UofMichigan fan (I live 2 blocks from the stadium) and with our big head coach search going on figured I'd drop in and see if the 49er fans know anything about that Harbaugh meeting that happened yesterday.....

Who is the 49er top pick ? Is it Harbaugh ? It definitely is for Michigan fans.....

i heard our coach here at SDSU brady hoke is rumored to be shopped by michigan

Dec 9, 2005
I can't blame the guy for taking 7 million a year with no state income tax, over 4.5 + California state tax.

I just don't think its cool that Goodell is letting this go on the way it is. He fines the Cardinals $85,000 for some fucking socks, but its cool to negotiate a contract while you still have a head coach, and haven't interviewed a minority.

May 9, 2002
I suppose.

I must not be like most people because I don't give a shit about how much another guy makes.

It wouldn't affect the team negatively to pay the guy more money because it wouldn't count towards the cap (when it gets reinstated). Personally, I don't give a shit if Harbaugh is the highest paid coach without earning it or not.
Of course you dont, because you are a 9ers fan, not a Dolphins fan.

If your coach was getting X amount of dollars, and was near the top of the salary in the league...and he was a TERRIBLE coach, would you not at think to yourself or mention to someone "that guy is overpaid for what he is doing". Is that "being concerned"? No, that is simply giving an opinion about his VALUE. You dont have to care how much someone is being paid to understand that someone isnt living up to their salary. Again, money is tied to value of output in our culture.

Its the same thing as going to buy a $1000 TV. You realize that for a certain amount of money, you should get a certain level of performance, do you not? its no different with jobs and people.

Apr 25, 2002
I can't blame the guy for taking 7 million a year with no state income tax, over 4.5 + California state tax.

I just don't think its cool that Goodell is letting this go on the way it is. He fines the Cardinals $85,000 for some fucking socks, but its cool to negotiate a contract while you still have a head coach, and haven't interviewed a minority.
The Rooney Rule is a fuckin joke anyway, but if you're going to have a rule, then you need to enforce it, especially when they fully enforce all the other homo rules they have (like not touching a QB's helmet).

The faggot ass Dolphins not only disobeyed the rule, but made absolutely no effort to conform whatsoever. They blatantly disregarded it and spat in the face of not only the rule itself, but those who must enforce it.

An example needs to be made of these fucks.

Apr 25, 2002
Of course you dont, because you are a 9ers fan, not a Dolphins fan.

If your coach was getting X amount of dollars, and was near the top of the salary in the league...and he was a TERRIBLE coach, would you not at think to yourself or mention to someone "that guy is overpaid for what he is doing". Is that "being concerned"? No, that is simply giving an opinion about his VALUE. You dont have to care how much someone is being paid to understand that someone isnt living up to their salary. Again, money is tied to value of output in our culture.

Its the same thing as going to buy a $1000 TV. You realize that for a certain amount of money, you should get a certain level of performance, do you not? its no different with jobs and people.
Well, first of all, my being a 49ers fan and not a Dolphins fan has nothing to do with me not caring about how much the next man makes.

I understand what you're getting at, but what I'm saying is fans of any team shouldn't be worried about how much the owners are willing to pay a coach because it doesn't affect their ability to acquire player personnel. Saying "that guy is overpaid for what he does" is not the same as saying "I don't want this guy because those guys are gonna have to pay him too much."

It would be different if we were talking about a player. If there was a player available for a steep price, I understand fans might not want him because his salary might affect the team's ability to acquire other players. Not so with a coach.

As for your analogy.. It's more like the guy down the street buys a $1,000 TV and I don't give a shit about it's quality because I didn't pay for it and it's not affecting my ability to watch TV. If he wants to overpay for his TV, that's cool.

May 9, 2002
Well, first of all, my being a 49ers fan and not a Dolphins fan has nothing to do with me not caring about how much the next man makes.

It does when we are talking about your head coach.

I understand what you're getting at, but what I'm saying is fans of any team shouldn't be worried about how much the owners are willing to pay a coach because it doesn't affect their ability to acquire player personnel.

No, but they SHOULD be concerned about how much a coach is getting paid in terms of what he can bring to a team and help them win. Of course, that is all speculation until the resluts begin to unfold. However, if an owner is willing to give a coach a very high salary, the expectations are going to be high to begin with. Are they not?

Saying "that guy is overpaid for what he does" is not the same as saying "I don't want this guy because those guys are gonna have to pay him too much."
Agreed. However, that wasnt what I was debating.

As for your analogy.. It's more like the guy down the street buys a $1,000 TV and I don't give a shit about it's quality because I didn't pay for it and it's not affecting my ability to watch TV. If he wants to overpay for his TV, that's cool.
I wasnt talking about the guy down the street, i was talking about you.

Apr 25, 2002
Actually, that TV analogy was kinda poor, so let me try again..

It's like a random person invites me to watch the game at his house. I am going to care about the quality of the TV, but I am not going to care how much the guy paid for his TV. His expenses do not affect mine. The same applies to the 49ers and how much they pay the coach. I will care about the quality of the coaching, but I won't care how much the Yorks paid for it because it doesn't affect me in any way.

Apr 25, 2002
To say you dont care about how much a coach makes, YOUR coach, is silly and you know it.
Dude, why would it matter to me? Seriously.

If they pay a dude $7 million per year and he sucks ass, they lose $7 million per year.

If they pay a dude $250k a year and he sucks ass, they lose $250k per year.

How does that matter to ME? Just because I am a fan of the team doesn't mean I care about the owners' expenses.

If the Niners landed Harbaugh, my expectations of his performance wouldn't change whether he made $7 million per year or $250k per year.

May 9, 2002
Actually, that TV analogy was kinda poor, so let me try again..

I thought it was perfect. To each his own.

It's like a random person invites me to watch the game at his house. I am going to care about the quality of the TV, but I am not going to care how much the guy paid for his TV. His expenses do not affect mine. The same applies to the 49ers and how much they pay the coach. I will care about the quality of the coaching, but I won't care how much the Yorks paid for it because it doesn't affect me in any way.
This analogy is not what i was getting at...at all.

Dude, why would it matter to me? Seriously.

I already explained why.

If they pay a dude $7 million per year and he sucks ass, they lose $7 million per year.
You're still not getting it. The owners put that much VALUE in him, and he FAILED. Are you understanding this concept? YOU didn't lose any money (unless you bet your team)...they arent paying him out of YOUR pocket. Again, we, as HUMANS, place value on things by how much they are paid/worth. We set those values by what the norms are, ie how much the highest paid coach is getting, lowest paid coach, etc.

How does that matter to ME? Just because I am a fan of the team doesn't mean I care about the owners' expenses.
Holy shit I know you are smarter than this. Really, you are.

If the Niners landed Harbaugh, my expectations of his performance wouldn't change whether he made $7 million per year or $250k per year.
So, if you did land Harbaugh and 3 years down the road he had only won 10 games collectively over that time span, you wouldn't say to yourself (if he got paid $7 mil), "man, they overpaid for that guy."? This isnt CARING, its merely expressing a PERSPECTIVE. Or if he won 30 games over that time span, and he was only getting paid 250k, you might not think to yourself "wow, thats a bargain!"? These statements remarks have NOTHING to do with caring, you are simply MAKING THE OBSERVATION. Thats it.

Here is an example: Nick Holt, defensive co-oridantor for the Huskies, is the HIGHEST PAID ASST COACH IN AMERICA. Yet, our defense was ranked something like 80th overall in the nation. Now, would you say he wasn't earning his paycheck? Had he been one of the LOWEST paid, it would be much easier to swallow, but he wasn't. He gets criticized becuase he is getting paid A LOT of money, and FAILING at his JOB. Now, as a Husky fan, I dont CARE that they pay him that. What i DO care about, is that they COULD be paying another, more COMPETENT coach, the same amount for doing a BETTER job. See how that works?

Jan 5, 2006
bottom line Jed York keeps guaranteeing shit his mouth aint cashing..

the season will never end in December again...... still waiting for that
49ers will win the division despite starting 0-5....... never happened
money is not an object............... let Harbaugh go and he signed Baalke just to bring Harbaugh over, maybe they shouldve considered all other factors like amount of $$ it would take to bring him over? And didnt Harbaugh give the thumbs up for Baalke? I dont care who they bring... just no more promoting within... GM shouldve gone to someone outside the organization, a fresh new start.

Aug 7, 2003
niners need to step it up real quick. they are only bidding with stanford now it seems like, unless some how elway steals him. up his offer, this is your 2nd chance that you normally wouldnt get.

Feb 12, 2004
My best guess is that he's going to stay with Stanford...

Andrew Luck stays there and so will Harbaugh......that's what I'm thinking...
Yup, that's what i'm starting to think. Jason LaCanfora said he'd be staying in the Bay before the Jay announced the Miami info we'll see. Between us, Standford and possibly Denver.

Apr 25, 2002
And for sure he's not signing w/ the Dolphins..... Some of the 'insiders' I know have said he's not interested in college football, but they're Michigan guys so maybe that just means Michigan. Harbaugh also aparently didn't want Lloyd Carr anywhere near the program and even though Dave Brandon basically fired him, Harbaugh still thought he was too close for comfort. All 'speculation'.... but coming to michigan doesn't look likely.....

I guess we'll see!
http://www.wbbl.com/goout.asp?u=http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5997519

Feb 26, 2006
Jay_Glazer Strong signal outta SF that Harbaugh is in strong talks w Niners to get a deal done 2nite over 6 mil per. But w this guy could change again

10 minutes ago

Rumors have been flying all over the place all day long. But then again, it is the internet.