Is it Possible to Sell 100K+ in the NW?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Aug 20, 2004
Cool Nutz said:
So wouldn't this give me more reason to say that it isn't possible? I have sold 1000's of records without the help of the big machine. I have sold over 15000 units in Portland alone. And this is without major distribution, without placement in Walgreens, Best Buy, Circuit City, and more, without heavy rotation on NW radio, and without having $100,000 liquid to push the record with.

I have faith not only in what I can do, but what some other artists in the NW are capable of doing with ALL the right resources. If Nelly and other artists can push 100k plus in my market, what would make me think that I couldn't do it in the entire NW with the right tools in place. Especially knowing what I have done without those tools? It's easier to sell those records if people know that you are from the region, and they also know that you have some hot shit.

It's more then the music, it about the business , finance, and marketing plan for the album. It can be done. Maybe I won't see it, but it is possible people.
U know better than i do...you go down to the club on a Friday....and you say "Im so and so from the town mayne...support the local scene...$7 for the cd"...muthafuckas look at you like you got the plague...they just have no faith in local music...like i said if you aint on a major radio station on repeat...these silly jingle cats dont care....and thats not to say muthafuckas out here dont got hustle...youre livin proof that it does exsist...but look how HARD youve grinded...and only gotten to that point....and im not hatin or throwin salt on you in any way,shape or form...im just bein real...

Now,there are some artists in the town that have TARGETED the "mainstream sound" formula...and even THEY are havin a hard time...cus these "masses" see them as "copycats"....im tellin you bro...the hate runs DEEEEEEEEEEEEEP in these consumers....

BUt,that doesnt mean striving artists should give up...if you have enough faith in yourself....and you BELIEVE that you can do it...then i say keep truckin....cus only a sucker would give up....and i give props to ANY artist out there hustlin....

On that note...comin Fall '06...YV-"The Burn Ward".....yall aint ready....

Oct 22, 2005
I think Portland supports its local scene more than seattle does...I met this Dj from Seattle named Dj Rhino or sumthin like dat and he said that we show love for our local artists

Nov 30, 2002
selling 100k impossible? no. hard? yes. to sell 100k you need to have the time, the distrobution, the marketing, a team behind you willing to put forth 100% of their efforts. that doesnt include the amount of money you need to spend in promotional items such as posters adds for tv radio etc. and that doesnt include the time you have to spend out on the streets trying to get some sales here and there while working a full work week (like many artists in this region do). so unless bill gates decides to drop an album, i dont think it will happen due to the money factor.

you wont just sell 100k by how mainstream or clean your album sounds, it helps but its not everything, IMO biggest thing is DISTROBUTION once someone gets a distrobution deal, they will start to push more than any other artist in the NW.. the question is... who is the next artist to get that dist. deal?

Dec 11, 2002
Its the business behind the music... THATS what will push the units up beyond the 5000-10,000+ mark..

It can be done in the NW.. but should be done Nationwide (as someone previously stated)..

Apr 5, 2005
Your tellin me MixALot has sold 100,000 records in the northwest alone? I doubt that. He was a mainstream hit moreso than a local legend. If he did it, it was after he blew up nationally.

As far as it being done goes, it will never happen. If the bay can't do it with the most supportive local market in the world of hip hop, how can you expect possibly the least supportive to do it? For someone to do numbers like that in an area like this, they would have to blow up on a national level. 25,000 can definitly be done, and should have by now. In fact, cool nutz could very well be the next to do something like that.

Oct 28, 2005
www.myspace.com
KALYN said:
Its the business behind the music... THATS what will push the units up beyond the 5000-10,000+ mark..
inasense206 said:
IMO biggest thing is DISTROBUTION once someone gets a distrobution deal, they will start to push more than any other artist in the NW.. the question is... who is the next artist to get that dist. deal?
quake551 said:
If someone wants to sell that many records they could but they have to really have a team behind them and be on the grind, with $, talent, support.

Not to sound like I am picking on these people.....but Am I the only one sitting here wondering "HOW? HOW is Marketing and Street teams going to help, and by WHAT Methods?"

This thread has the potential to be a brainstorming one that energizes us all. Not just a "___ will do it", and be done thread.

Who has some ideas here?

"Marketing budget".....what does that even mean? Put a few ads on KUBE, 17 people hear it and buy your album...and then what? What is going to make 1700 people buy your album? Because a 30 second radio spot ain't gonna cut it.

Where are the observations and plans about setting up a college circuit? WHO is going to ask me to be a WWU/Bellingham connect, and go get you some prices on the venues around my town? WHO is going to get at that man Stupendous or that man Sixxness and ask them to do the same for their respective campuses?

Where are the ideas about weekend tours? Where are the ideas about a Spring Break or Summer Tour/DVD? Where are the people talking about getting a TV show or Mixtape series up and running?

"A budget"..."Distro"....thats it? Thats our grand ideas? Someone hands us some money and puts our shit in stores, and its magically going to to take us to a hundred thousand copies?

We can do better than this.

Oct 28, 2005
www.myspace.com
BTruth said:
Your tellin me MixALot has sold 100,000 records in the northwest alone? I doubt that. He was a mainstream hit moreso than a local legend. If he did it, it was after he blew up nationally.

As far as it being done goes, it will never happen. If the bay can't do it with the most supportive local market in the world of hip hop, how can you expect possibly the least supportive to do it? For someone to do numbers like that in an area like this, they would have to blow up on a national level. 25,000 can definitly be done, and should have by now. In fact, cool nutz could very well be the next to do something like that.
Cool Nutz is a talented artist and a funny ass man, but IMO he needs some new blood around him to help get those sales up. Someone like a Nonstop or Syko would be a MAJOR acquisition for his label(imagine all 3...sheeit), and if he picked both of them up....fuck, I'd personally recruit other people to help me promote them. Either one could bring a crazy new energy to the crowd to supplement the old school, 'veteran' vibe of his music and performances.

Really though, Its demoralizing when someone thats a part of a label even BEGINS to build up their own fan base, and the first thing they're ready to do is break out and start their own label. And then the process starts all over again. It'll suck all the energy right out of you and make you want to not even bother. Buy the music, tell a few friends, maybe hit a show, and you're DONE.

First mega-label that comes along, where its more about a Movement than the fact that the mega-label has a millionaire behind it, or really, ANY guarantee other than that all the artists are focused on working together and making good music..........really, its just going to fuck shit up. And I'll be on the front lines helping em grow, and I know i won't be alone.

Dec 11, 2002
Dirty Shoez said:
Not to sound like I am picking on these people.....but Am I the only one sitting here wondering "HOW? HOW is Marketing and Street teams going to help, and by WHAT Methods?"

... I'll let you buy some game from me.. what kinda budget you workin' with..?

Oh.

Thats right. Youre not.

Never mind.

... folks could come up in here and lace you.. but you'd still talk shit that THIS is the way it should be and all THAT has been done before.. its a waste of breath so I'm out... but maybe someone else will roll up in here and just GIVE you what its taken some people hella to work thru and understand..

Oct 28, 2005
www.myspace.com
Stingy...Corrupt...Self-Serving Motherfuckers.

This isn't ABOUT me. But if you want to keep using that as a cover for your not having ANY ideas...yeah...do that.

You know the problem in this region? "Game"
You know the problem in this region? Being "Laced"
You know the problem in this region? The "Music Business"

People like you perpetuate this fakeness so you can keep clutching onto your job title and what little perks you get, and its sickening. You parade around claiming to know things, and then when you really break them down.....98% of time, its shit you can see in any dime-a-dozen industry book. Well, really...its LITERALLY anything you can get out of those books, because THATS WHERE IT COMES FROM.

The thing is, you people "In tha Game" don't read, so you rely on one person to do all your reading for you, and reveal these industry "secrets" that any pimple-faced son of a bitch with $3.85 plus shipping can go buy on Half.com.

Indeed....keep on using that as cover because you have not a SINGLE innovative, ground-breaking thought in your entire head. Just keep on running around, hawking your wares, being hucksters. Your time is almost through. I hope you enjoy it.

May 4, 2005
This is off topic, but i decided to slump Bosko's "That Fire" yesterday......that album to me, has got to be the most complete album I've ever heard out of the Northwest.. say what you want but on a national level.. that album could have made a run. The whole album is slap. And damn that track "Just Fuckin'"..boy can i relate to that. Props to Bosko/Jusfam... love that album.

CN: Any chance of this getting distribution one day?

Nov 30, 2002
distrobution is a big deal homie.. someone putting money down on your album to release it where ever because they think it has potential... that alone will get you more exposure.. but that goes hand in hand with getting your music out there hence promotion/promotional teams. you can never be a "solo artist" and sell 100k... THATS impossible.. but if you got the team behind you.. (like ive stated before) its very possible

pz

Dec 11, 2002
Dirty Shoez said:
People like you perpetuate this fakeness so you can keep clutching onto your job title and what little perks you get, and its sickening. You parade around claiming to know things, and then when you really break them down.....98% of time, its shit you can see in any dime-a-dozen industry book. Well, really...its LITERALLY anything you can get out of those books, because THATS WHERE IT COMES FROM.

The thing is, you people "In tha Game" don't read, so you rely on one person to do all your reading for you, and reveal these industry "secrets" that any pimple-faced son of a bitch with $3.85 plus shipping can go buy on Half.com.

Ok then you pimple-faced son of a bitch... go borrow $3.85 + shipping and hop on Half.com..

Oct 28, 2005
www.myspace.com
@inasense

I'm sorry, but you still ain't saying shit. Just a whole lot of buzzwords and absolutely nothing in the ideas or methodology departments.

360_541 said:
This is off topic, but i decided to slump Bosko's "That Fire" yesterday......that album to me, has got to be the most complete album I've ever heard out of the Northwest.. say what you want but on a national level.. that album could have made a run. The whole album is slap. And damn that track "Just Fuckin'"..boy can i relate to that. Props to Bosko/Jusfam... love that album.

CN: Any chance of this getting distribution one day?
The album is very solid. I play it often.

OK Everyone, listen up:
http://www.siccness.net/vb/showthread.php?p=1724447#post1724447

Excerpt: "anyone who followed your advice in the "25k selling point" in the NW forum....is probably all of 13 years old...and dont know any better...like i said...takin any musical advice from you would be moronic.."

This is this man Oh Coy! shitting on me, so we are all going to sit back and listen to his grand ideas instead, and let the people decide. This man is preparing to put out a YV album w/ special Edition EP, so he obviously knows what he is talking about.

So now, Let's all sit back and listen to his grand plans to change the landscape of the entire NW Rap scene.

Oh Coy, the floor is yours. Go ahead and wow us now.

Dec 11, 2002
360_541 said:

I love this album as well... front to back.. its DOPE..

Jul 12, 2002
Now Im not saying I know the answers to whats wrong in the NW, but Tadou, what makes you qualified to know? This is a serious question so dont take it as slander.

Oct 28, 2005
www.myspace.com
KALYN said:
Ok then you pimple-faced son of a bitch... go borrow $3.85 + shipping and hop on Half.com..
Awww, Kalyn looks mad.

Look toots, its not my fault the only thing you're qualified to do is pass out flyers, write articles, and say "ill holla @ you" to every random artist on Siccness and RapTalk.

You're old news. You're status quo. You and all these other dinosaurs like you are the PLO under Yasser Arafat: accomplishing absolutely nothing, doing nothing but running your mouth, and providing Panem et circenses (You do know what that means right? Go look it up.)

You're weak. You have no ideas. You're simple. You rely on bullying tactics and group threats to push other young and innovative people out of the market. And why? Because if people are out there innovating and being original, you might have to...*gasp*...do some actual work!

If I'm wrong here...by all means. I DARE You to challenge me to a Music Industry debate, right here in this forum, and let the people decide who is the innovator with ideas and who is the old timer/never-will-be who needs to hang it up.

Just imagine it: You can break out all your funky little terms like "recoup" and "replication" and all this other fun shit, and act like you actually know something. Then once you're doing that, i'll EXPLAIN how to recoup, while you sit there bumbling on and on about "...hrrm, marketing! distro! ....a budget!" and all this other mechanical nonsense.

You're nothing to me. Your connects, everything. What you fail to realize is that you calling up and pissing and moaning on the phone won't stop 99% of artists from working with me anyways, if i have the money. And believe you me: it IS all about the money. Not whether or not I offended a "connect" out in the fucking Idaho boondocks.

Get it together. You want no part.