Is it Possible to Sell 100K+ in the NW?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Oct 28, 2005
www.myspace.com
Oh Coy!Ocerto said:
U act like i sat up here and said i was gonna sell X amount of albums...im printing up 1,000...i hope to sell at least 75% of that....anymore questions?
Yes. Do you think his debut album is capable of selling 3,000 or 5,000 or more copies? I do.

You definitely made a find by swooping him up, but what the man needs right now is ideas and motivation; not the sort of "You wrote all this shit anyways, you might as well release it" sort of attitude.

You ought to listen to people like me, and repackage my ideas as your own (if you aren't already), and use them to your advantage, instead of just instantly shooting them down and looking to `veterans' to guide you every step of the way.

The only thing most veterans are capable of, is the same thing most mouth-talking followers are capable of: telling you what other people usually do and have done to be successful, instead of what they themselves are planning to try and to innovate.

This is the North-fucking-West we're in. If the world really was their way, Dunkin Donuts would have BURIED Starbucks. Amazon.com WOULD NOT have gotten off the ground. Expedia would have folded a long ass time ago. Microsoft would have gotten eaten alive by IBM. Do you see what I am saying here?

We are idea people. We are meant to make shit happen with our ideas, not sit back and copy everyone else. The richest man in the mothafuckin WORLD is from and lives in the NorthWest......that ought to tell you something.

May 9, 2002
Dirty Shoez said:
Yes. Do you think his debut album is capable of selling 3,000 or 5,000 or more copies? I do.

You definitely made a find by swooping him up, but what the man needs right now is ideas and motivation; not the sort of "You wrote all this shit anyways, you might as well release it" sort of attitude.

You ought to listen to people like me, and repackage my ideas as your own (if you aren't already), and use them to your advantage, instead of just instantly shooting them down and looking to `veterans' to guide you every step of the way.

The only thing most veterans are capable of, is the same thing most mouth-talking followers are capable of: telling you what other people usually do and have done to be successful, instead of what they themselves are planning to try and to innovate.

This is the North-fucking-West we're in. If the world really was their way, Dunkin Donuts would have BURIED Starbucks. Amazon.com WOULD NOT have gotten off the ground. Expedia would have folded a long ass time ago. Microsoft would have gotten eaten alive by IBM. Do you see what I am saying here?

We are idea people. We are meant to make shit happen with our ideas, not sit back and copy everyone else. The richest man in the mothafuckin WORLD is from and lives in the NorthWest......that ought to tell you something.

For one...i may have money...but i aint ballin...you know how much it costs to just up and "make new songs"?This album is settin me back around $5000...so unless your investing some scratch...the conversation ends here...

Ill tell you what...just follow your own advice...do all these ideas you have on YOUR shit...and if it works out like you think it will....ill do it...but until then...im just releasing good music...

Mar 13, 2003
www.billythefridge.com
Politics is going to keep a group from blowing up.

There are people out here making moves, on the solo tip. Those are the people who will get looked at. If you sell 20,000 in this area, it's a big ass deal.

Oct 28, 2005
www.myspace.com
inasense206 said:
haha i disgust you.. haha great..

i am concentrating on the topic.. YOU are the one shooting down everyones IDEAS and OPINIONS.. just as you got yours
I'm shooting down the non-idea of "marketing" and "funding" other vague, non-specific bullshit.

The problem is not that we can't afford magazine ads or billboards, or that we aren't in stores. The problem is that people don't give a fuck, and haven't been conditioned to give a fuck, about NorthWest Rap music.

lets be real for one sec...
Yes. Let's.

we all know youve done your homework on the music industry.. we all can see that you arent talking out of your ass about music.. but what makes people look at you like youre a joke is your attitude.. i'll admit it.. youre cool people when you talk to ____ one on one.. but the internet lets you hide behind the computer and say everything and anything you want..
Friend, because we are monologuing here. Some people hop on here and expect this to be like real life, and it is not that. They thus instantly get pissed off at whoever is talking the most, REGARDLESS of what they are saying. Combined that with the fact that i have meagre credentials, and its enough to push some people over the top, without ever in their life having met or talked to me. Indeed, sport: it goes both ways.

I'm "cool" to talk to one-on-one because you realize and witness that I am not typing or talking because i like the look of my words or the sound of my voice. I'm "cool" to talk to one-on-one because you instantly recognize that this is shit I am serious about. I'm "cool" because once you realize these things, you don't need to argue with me just to show off: you realize that you can WORK WITH ME and we can BOTH accomplish something.

Internet...Yahoo...Phone...In Person...the closer you get to the man, and see the facial movements and hear the strength of my voice and convictions, the less likely you are to argue, and the more likely you are to listen to me and let me finish my point. That much is just real.

we all say shit that we wouldnt say to someones face on this shit (if you deny that youre lyin period) but youre one dimensional... every post you make people can ACCURATELY guess what you will say in each post..
First of all, you can't guess shit. Nobody has ever been able to do an accurate Tadou impersonation for a reason. Nothing sticks to me. Even when you could swear this post would be full of "verily" and "if you said it then it must be true", lo and behold, it is absent these things and still flows much the same.

Secondly (more like firstly)....of course. Then again, people haven't argued with me in real life over this shit (having recognized I know exactly WTF I'm talking about), so there is no measuring stick in the first place. These things having been said......What am i to do? Track people down and yell out, "HEY, REMEMBER ME? TADOU FROM THE INTERNET!!??" and then just pick fights for no reason? I don't operate that way, and never have. Neither have most people.

They understand that the Internet is full of people taking for 10 minutes at a time, and if anyone in real-life talked for 10 minutes at a time, they'd get punched in the face several times a day. Once you start talking to someone, and recognize them paying you equal attention, allowing you to interject, allowing you to finish your statement before they continue.....shit changes. It changes A LOT. You go from being some disrespectful asshole on the internet to someone who is simply frustrated with and misunderstood by other people.

youre closed minded and think like the very man whom you have had the most problems with (Mr. D-Sane, we all couldve guessed that) "my way or the high way"
Friend...you aren't even making any sense.

You can have it, literally, any way you want. I am not your boss, and wouldn't want to be. I like working WITH pepole, but i can only work WITH people when they have SOMETHING TO WORK WITH!

"MARKETING", cannot be worked with. It CANNOT. "MAKRETING" can mean any of about 10,000 things, and if you are too chicken shit to start naming them, then there is nothing I can do but poke and prod you until you do.

I'm one of the most open-minded person on this forum, and I demonstrate that day in and day out with my ideas and feedbacks. Period. The only thing I am closed-minded to, is closed-minded and Atheist peoples, because they can go fuck themselves.

That you would prefer to throw out labels and all this other shit......have it your way.

for some people that works out for em... d-sane is now workin with people like t-nutty.. doing remixes to mainstream songs that are getting some radio play.. hes finally getting the recognition he deserves for the 10-12 albums hes put out... hard work... time.. money.. and a goal that has not changed went into that and it seems as if it is paying off.... he has progressed over the years into one of seattles better hip-hop producers because he knows what sound he likes and he works with it... im not putting d-sane on the spot im just using that as an example of someone that has the "my way or the highway" frame of mind... hes beginning to make bigger moves than he ever has and i believe it all has to do with how he thinks about his music and the people he chooses to work with..

you have the same state of mind.. its your way or no way... but the difference between you too.. is he is makin moves in music...you talk about HOW to make moves in music but you arent... youre doin your thing with school and what not but the music is/has been on hold for a long ass minute for you and youre gonna try and tell us how its SHOULD be done and that youre RIGHT? amazing...
Lets see. First of all, the music is on hold because I am trying to work on a Website and Video Production. Throw in being out of the country for 4 months, and I've got a rather solid reason for that.

As far as `making moves`...don't care. I really don't. You make all the moves you want. You work with ____ from the Bay, or do a show with ____ from K.C., and you have fun doing it. Me, I am focused on other things, and one of them is gaining fans by word-of-mouth and personal respect, arts that some people seem to have forgotten the meaning of.

let people like cool nutz, d-sane or someone else who has held or is beginning to hold a spot in the music industry... no one wants to here this is how it should be.. they want to hear this is what I THINK from someone like you or me or oh certo or kalyn etc.
Remember that thing about me saying you're just throwing shit out?

" it seems like all the new names are closely involved with groups"
"I think it needs re-tooling"
"I'd like to think a Supergroup would energize the people"

I am saying all these things, and you aren't even seeing them. You're seeing what you want to see instead, because it is you who has his head up his ass, and is hoping for a veteran hand-out for your being a loyal pet and doing their dirty work.

The thing is, you fail. You do not make the grade because I am really doing this conversation and brainstorming shit, and that much is not open to argument. At every turn, I am trying to make this not about me, but the NorthWest, and at every turn, you are trying to make it about me again, because you know that my ideas about the NorthWest are BEYOND REPROACH; the ONLY avenue you have is ad hominem and attacking the messenger.

Once i stop being productive and start only talking about myself, you feel better for interrupting a positive, thought-provoking conversation......not going to happen. If you want to get at me, you will continue having to get at me inbetween my thoughts and ideas about how to strengthen this NW Movement.

If you want to interrupt that by saying "Tadou, you ain't doin moves." "Tadou, u aint in da game!", then you go right ahead. I will continue coming up with ideas, and you can keep on keeping my name in your mouth like a good little attack dog.

im off to work... and then i'll type why I THINK distrobution is a major thing and how it connects to every aspect of selling 100k for a NW artist...
Some actual work? Some actual thought?

You saw how respectful (I believe) i was with DJ Coma. So give it a shot. Feel free.

any thing you wanna discuss with me hit the celly... youre gettin on my nerves once again...lol

206 427 5842
No thanks. See me when you see me, and that will clear everything up, like it always does.

Oct 28, 2005
www.myspace.com
Oh Coy!Ocerto said:
For one...i may have money...but i aint ballin...you know how much it costs to just up and "make new songs"?This album is settin me back around $5000...so unless your investing some scratch...the conversation ends here...
How much scratch are we talking about? $5/unit worth? Would I have any input?

Ill tell you what...just follow your own advice...do all these ideas you have on YOUR shit...and if it works out like you think it will....ill do it...but until then...im just releasing good music...
These are not one-man ideas, and they do not benefit one man either. I am not trying to organize people behind me, so I can make thousands and be all over the radio and TV. I am trying to organize people to work together to get THEIR FAVORITE ARTISTS on Radio and TV.

These things will indeed be implemented. But it is always great to build up a good stock of people to say "I told you so" to after the fact. I don't hold grudges or blacklist, but I do have this uncanny ability to just kind of...ignore people...lose e-mails, miss calls...and have them not be able to contact me.

Oh Coy!Ocerto said:
Dont you DARE throw religion in this conversation...

Just cus youre a priest...does NOT mean youre a virgin....

Ask all the catholic dudes that was molesting lil boys...cmon now...

And all that marriage advice that they give....is biased...so cut the crap...
....Friend, more often than not, priests are virgins and cannot get married.

You can get political all you want. I was just being real. Priests give marriage advice every day, and most have never felt a woman's touch. Yet the people still feel confident listening to them, because most of them know what they're talking about.

Not that you believe the man verbatim: but you LISTEN to his words, you CONSIDER them, you COMBINE THEM with your own experiences, and THEN (and ONLY THEN), you decide WHAT TO DO with what the man just said.

You don't just blurt out "YOU AINT EVEN BEEN MARRIED! U AINT IN DA MARRIAGE GAME!", and stomp away with a big grin on your face, thinking you just pulled his card. That is some stupid ass shit.

Fridge said:
Politics is going to keep a group from blowing up.
Very true. This is what i was explaining earlier in this thread.

But a group that is able to cast aside politics and form a coalition stands a much better chance of selling lots of records, than MC Such-and-Such making a club song about women shaking their ass and us suddenly being placed on the Hip-Hop map once again.

There are people out here making moves, on the solo tip. Those are the people who will get looked at. If you sell 20,000 in this area, it's a big ass deal.
Who is Soundscanning that many, though? HOW can they soundscan that many, or even 10K or 5K?

We MUST get a Central NW website up and running. We MUST get mobile stores w/Laptop-POSes up and running. Or that 20k...does not matter.

Aug 20, 2004
Dirty Shoez said:
....Friend, more often than not, priests are virgins and cannot get married.

You can get political all you want. I was just being real. Priests give marriage advice every day, and most have never felt a woman's touch. Yet the people still feel confident listening to them, because most of them know what they're talking about.
Yes they can..preists arent born..they are made...

And people who have marriage problems...that go to people for advice from people who HAVENT been maried...is just plain retarded....its called bein brainwashed by the church...

I dont care what anyone says..Cool Nutz hit it on the head...if you aint been through it...u have NO room speakin on it and givin out advice...period...anyone who does is just plain brain dead...

Apr 25, 2002
JusFamilyRecords.com
@ Dirty Shoes

If you have all of the answers, why not put an album out and sell those 100,000 units.

And on another note. When I first started I was going to college, and working a job 40 hours a week. However, I hustled and got to a point where I was able to work full time doing music. I did what you are are talking about doing.

It's pointless even talking to you about the real industry because you just like hearing yourself talk about what you don't know.

It will happen. It might not be me, but it is very much possible to sell 100,000 units in the NW.

I rest my case.

Apr 25, 2003
You damn right Nutz...

What up Nutz... It's your fellow funky fresh music director homeboy Bootzilla Jenkins aka Big Kid Bootz...

You've got to admit dog, this post has been quite entertaining to read.

Anyways, I just wanted to put my 2 cents in and completely AGREE with Coolnutz.

It will take all the tools Coolnutz speaks on: immense radio support, a strategic marketing plan, an aggressive promotional campaign, and MOST IMPORTANTLY.... A HIT SONG!

I understand many people can't stand commercial radio and hate the music we play, but the fact of the matter remains... Listeners want to hear their favorite songs, and if you can't come with a HIT, you don't deserve that slot when I could play the likes of Kanye West, Lil Jon, Mariah Carey, etc. These artists make the music that pulls the ratings which makes the money which runs the station and the cycle goes on and on... Make a HIT song, and YOU WILL be able to sell 100k, period.

It can be done. It will be done. And One love to the Artist/Group that Pops it off.... (Whether it's Jus Family, Nonstop, or any other artist)

Nov 30, 2002
and is hoping for a veteran hand-out for your being a loyal pet and doing their dirty work.

what hand out? if youre actually stupid enough to think that i am doing this to get the respect of a "veteran" youre wrong. i could give a fuck about what the "veterans" think about this.. i expect nothing... i dont need a hand out IVE EARNED EVERYTHING IVE GOT. i have never taken a hand out.. i sat in front of my computer with shitty ass production programs working with them for days on end to create the sound i do now.. and soon... you will see what i have been up too.

now... to the topic... distrobution... i guess youre right.. distrobution ALONE cannot make an artist sell 100k. i said it incorrectly.. i think distrobution along with marketing (ads in magazines, reviews in newspapers, ads on tv/radio, billboards whatever it is minus passing out flyers and hanging posters.. that to me is a waste of time and money) word of mouth, going on tour and having a dedicated team behind the artist/group/label is what makes or breaks people in this region. for example... look at unexpected arrival... he has improved 200% sicne his debut.. spent long hours in the studio.. perfecting his style, perfecting each line, each hook, each verse etc. and look at the product he put out. Does anyone think that having all of the big names on there really helped his album sales that much? i dont. i dont go into a store and start looking for albums with big names on it then buy it. it may have helped a little but the fact is that he has a tema of promoters behind him that WILL go to great lengths to help his music, and do you think they do that for a hand out? fucks no, they do it because they realize that it has major potential. on the streets, i think Neemas album has sold like 6500-7000 copies.. and i still here his songs on the radio...(my point is coming soon) i have seen neema go way out of his way to go to a different part of the city to sell albums, and its paying off for him. i think the album he just dropped is the bridge for him to walk right into fame. neema was just on tour with tech n9ne(dunno if he still is).. that is a HUGE move. doing shows all across the country, performing the songs thats obvious that fans like, hes getting to know what its like real quick IMO.

so lets recap this example
marketing - ads on the radio for "My Life For Sale", interviews with places like southwest bound magazine, kube 93(remember when he got the artist of the year award? that was big), x104 interviews, seaspot interviews, going on tour.

word of mouth - i personally have not heard one bad comment about this cd, i saw neema and doug and kenel at south center mall on the grind tryin to sell cds, so i walked up and told people that he was selling it to, "its a great album etc etc" he probably sold 5 in the 10 minutes that i spent chillin with him there. i bought another 3 copies from him.. and gave two away to my homies, and they loved it and guess what? they bought another! another example of this... remember when sonny bonoho did that show in kirkland? neema showed up, showed some love to upcoming artists and guess what? "respect is earned so if you give it you might get it" i know of 5 people that performed that bought his album.. same with the grynches mixtape he put out "how the grynch stole hip-hop" word got around about it... and i had only heard 2 tracks from him at the time and i thought they were good so my homies and i each bought a copy of his mixtape because his homies who were selling it said it was tight... and it was

going on tour - UA just went (or still is) on tour with tech n9ne.. granted people went to go see tech... but how many fans do you think UA got at each show that they did? how many people do you think attended the tech n9ne shows? and how many people do you think heard him? alot. and some people may have not liked his performance.. but from what ive seen.. dude is a beast at live performances

dedicated team behind you - doug and ryan and kenel and dj stylz (yes using UA as an example again) have all shown that they are down for the cause, staying on the streets with neema working together to promote/sell this album... he even mentions it in the outro... talkin bout how ryan and him were out till 3.. and dude had to be up at work at like 6 or somethin? you will very rarely find someone who will do that sort of shit for you and the music you are making

so now.. they got just about everything covered that an independent artist could want. going on tour with a bigger artist (next step is to go on tour with a major artist), word of mouth (literally, and not... him being on compilations/mixtapes by different dj's) and they have gotten into a little bit of marketing... they have everything like i said before... the only other steps i see is maybe get into a little more marketing, go on tour with a major artist, and drop another album with more slumpers on it and im 99% POSITIVE that he will be pulling in more money than anyone else in this region has done in hip-hop... his next album WILL get him the distrobution deal that he deserves.. "My Life For Sale" to me, is only the beginning of Neemas career... it is the stepping stones to bigger and better things. Neema and his crew played this one out correctly IMO and his next album i think will make a killin all because they stayed on the grind, played their cards right, used their money in the right areas.

my mistake for saying it wrong the first time... and sorry for the long ass post.

point proven?

pz

Oct 28, 2005
www.myspace.com
Gringo Starr said:
Yes they can..preists arent born..they are made...

And people who have marriage problems...that go to people for advice from people who HAVENT been maried...is just plain retarded....its called bein brainwashed by the church...
That was one small example, sport. Don't blame me because you're so anti-Religion and can't see its significance.

The fact remains: while the best basketball or baseball coaches certainly HAVE played their sport before, most of them were never superstars, but just regular players; some never even played pro. It is their knowledge of the game that matters, not a stat sheet.

I dont care what anyone says..Cool Nutz hit it on the head...if you aint been through it...u have NO room speakin on it and givin out advice...period...anyone who does is just plain brain dead...
Or just plain doesn't give a fuck about people like you who prefer no ideas to undeveloped ideas.

You can put lipstick on a pig all you want, and indeed, it is still a pig. But if you had it your way, there would be no pig in the first place. That is where you and I differ.

You are happy with nothing. You are content to sit on this forum, and talk about how tight albums are, and how much they slump in your hatchback. -- I am not. I prefer to speak about the scene and how to improve it, and if our "vets" are going to lack the fortitude/time/whatever to start a topic and sustain it, then I will be the one who will step in and fill the void.

If you prefer MySpace threads, then by all means. Get the fuck out of this one and stop wasting everyone's time. But if you are only going to be in this thread to co-sign and diss me, then you are doing nothing but wasting space.

Cool Nutz said:
@ Dirty Shoes

If you have all of the answers, why not put an album out and sell those 100,000 units.
Sir, are you having problems reading, or are you just this bound and determined to make me look stupid?

I am not interested in selling 100,000 copies. That would be you, with your E-40 Presents album coming out soon.

What I am interested in doing, in starting a media network which includes Public TV, DVDs, Booleg Concert Footage, Syndicated Radio Shows, and Mixtapes. None of these things have anything to do with my individual career. On the contrary, every last one of them is meant to give exposure to a multitude of artists and labels.

And on another note. When I first started I was going to college, and working a job 40 hours a week. However, I hustled and got to a point where I was able to work full time doing music. I did what you are are talking about doing.
Don't care.

It's pointless even talking to you about the real industry because you just like hearing yourself talk about what you don't know.
And you just like hearing yourself "school" a young person and see all your fans jump and yell "YOU TELL HIM, NUTZ!", cuz you sure as fuck ain't breaking out any new ideas here.

Remember that magazine you were going to do a while back? Remember that POH-HOP DVD you were going to do a while back? Where are they at? Do you REALLY want to play the "I'm better than you" game, and have me sit here and recount all your miscues that I can think up?

It will happen. It might not be me, but it is very much possible to sell 100,000 units in the NW.

I rest my case.
You never had a case to begin with, sir. Your only argument here is, "Tadou is not qualified to lead this debate." Which may be the case. But you sure as fuck ain't leading it. You need ideas to lead. You have no original ideas or strategies; only personal insults and vague suggestions like "marketing".

You need to do like I did a long time ago, and that is to stop worrying about how much money Tadou is going to earn, and how much fame Tadou is going to get. All i need you to do is send me video footage (or allow me to tape it), give me interviews when i ask for them, proof-read lyrics that people type out of your albums, and other artist-related shit. That is all, and you will get not a dime for any of it other than reimbursement for shipping or gas costs.

If you don't like this....oh well. There are literally hundreds of other labels out there that can and will replace you, that have never even heard of Siccness or Tadou, and in some cases, even the Mighty Cool Nutz himself.

Oct 28, 2005
www.myspace.com
inasense206 said:
i dont need a hand out IVE EARNED EVERYTHING IVE GOT. i have never taken a hand out.. i sat in front of my computer with shitty ass production programs working with them for days on end to create the sound i do now.. and soon... you will see what i have been up too.
This is very true. I have heard some of the stuff you are working with, and I believe this was a half year or more ago. I need to hury up and get some tracks from you before your prices are out of my range.

now..to the topic..distrobution..i guess youre right.. distrobution ALONE cannot make an artist sell 100k. i said it incorrectly..i think distrobution along with marketing (ads in magazines, reviews in newspapers, ads on tv/radio, billboards whatever it is minus passing out flyers and hanging posters.. that to me is a waste of time and money) word of mouth, going on tour and having a dedicated team behind the artist/group/label is what makes or breaks people in this region.
This is very true. The only thing i would add to it is, more independent media. Now, for one, would be the perfect time for a UA DVD start being made and come out early next year, so that he might continue pushing this product without feeling the need to 'replace' it with a follow-up.
for example..look at unexpected arrival..he has improved 200% sicne his debut.. spent long hours in the studio..perfecting his style, perfecting each line, each hook, each verse etc. and look at the product he put out. Does anyone think that having all of the big names on there really helped his album sales that much? i dont. i dont go into a store and start looking for albums with big names on it then buy it. it may have helped a little but the fact is that he has a tema of promoters behind him that WILL go to great lengths to help his music, and do you think they do that for a hand out? fucks no they do it because they realize that it has major potential. on the streets, i think Neemas album has sold like 6500-7000 copies.. and i still here his songs on the radio..(my point is coming soon) i have seen neema go way out of his way to go to a different part of the city to sell albums, and its paying off for him. i think the album he just dropped is the bridge for him to walk right into fame. neema was just on tour with tech n9ne(dunno if he still is).. that is a HUGE move. doing shows all across the country performing the songs thats obvious that fans like hes getting to know what its like real quick IMO.
This is all true. You suck at using paragraphs :confused: but it is all true!

I have seen some of your lyricism before. You are definitely someone who knows lyricism. And we can both agree, this man UA has stepped it up a notch or three, not only with the lyricism itself but the wide range of topics he is covering. The man is definitely becoming a stand-out artist.

so lets recap this example
marketing - ads on the radio for "My Life For Sale", interviews with places like southwest bound magazine, kube 93(remember when he got the artist of the year award? that was big), x104 interviews, seaspot interviews, going on tour.
These are all good things. The man has deserved all the press he has gotten. I have always held in high regard those artists who do shows non-stop, rather than sitting back and hoping for albums to sell themselves. This man Neema has put in a lot of work, and is reaping the benefits.

word of mouth - i personally have not heard one bad comment about this cd, i saw neema and doug and kenel at south center mall on the grind tryin to sell cds, so i walked up and told people that he was selling it to "its a great album etc etc" he probably sold 5 in the 10 minutes that i spent chillin with him there. i bought another 3 copies from him.. and gave two away to my homies and they loved it and guess what? they bought another! another example of this.remember when sonny bonoho did that show in kirkland? neema showed up showed some love to upcoming artists and guess what? "respect is earned so if you give it you might get it" i know of 5 people that performed that bought his album..same with the grynches mixtape he put out "how the grynch stole hip-hop" word got around about it..and i had only heard 2 tracks from him at the time and i thought they were good so my homies and i each bought a copy of his mixtape because his homies who were selling it said it was tight..and it was
You have verily been good for the scene then, and it shows. You could be a very valuable wing-man if you ever took up the position. We need to recruit and train people to be more like you, if it is possible.

going on tour - UA just went (or still is) on tour with tech n9ne.. granted people went to go see tech... but how many fans do you think UA got at each show that they did? how many people do you think attended the tech n9ne shows? and how many people do you think heard him? alot. and some people may have not liked his performance.. but from what ive seen.. dude is a beast at live performances
This is also true. I have heard many good things about his live set. That is big that he is out there touring with an underground king like Tech.

dedicated team behind you - doug and ryan and kenel and dj stylz (yes using UA as an example again) have all shown that they are down for the cause, staying on the streets with neema working together to promote/sell this album... he even mentions it in the outro... talkin bout how ryan and him were out till 3.. and dude had to be up at work at like 6 or somethin? you will very rarely find someone who will do that sort of shit for you and the music you are making
That is indeed commendable. Those people should feel very proud that they are helping the man accomplish what he deserves and has deserved by working hard for all these years.

so now.. they got just about everything covered that an independent artist could want. going on tour with a bigger artist (next step is to go on tour with a major artist), word of mouth (literally, and not... him being on compilations/mixtapes by different dj's) and they have gotten into a little bit of marketing... they have everything like i said before... the only other steps i see is maybe get into a little more marketing, go on tour with a major artist, and drop another album with more slumpers on it and im 99% POSITIVE that he will be pulling in more money than anyone else in this region has done in hip-hop... his next album WILL get him the distrobution deal that he deserves.. "My Life For Sale" to me, is only the beginning of Neemas career... it is the stepping stones to bigger and better things. Neema and his crew played this one out correctly IMO and his next album i think will make a killin all because they stayed on the grind, played their cards right, used their money in the right areas.
my mistake for saying it wrong the first time... and sorry for the long ass post.
All good, and understood. We are all individuals, not computers. I have made countless mistakes in this very thread, and if i were a greater man, I would track them down, highlight them and admit to them.

point proven?

pz
A lot of it...indeed. You have explained very well how this man might fit into a Major-label atmosphere, because that is the way they operate.

They don't care about street-level mixtapes, bootleg footage, etc. They care about getting artists on mainstream radio, getting them in the magazines, and these things. This is a hard path to get on, and the man would be wise to continue on it.

But for the less conventional artists, the artists that don't just say it but MEAN IT when they talk shit about the radio and magazines like the Source/XXL...I am trying to offer alternatives. Not me alone, and not right now. These are things that must be built up to. But they are common sense things that rely more on man-power than they do $$-power.

For example...try this one.

The next UA show. There is one coming up very soon, on December 21st at the Chop Suey in Seattle.

But as I sit here and ponder showing up, and coming one step closer to a full set of dentures, I ask myself: "If i did go...what songs would this man perform? What songs ought I to familiarize myself with?"

As I sit here right now, I cannot think of one single place on the internet to look for this information. I may be alone, but i doubt it.

Take Control?
Whispers in the Wind?
Everything?
Milennium?

How am I to know? What if I take hours memorizing the one, and then it doesn't even get performed (and in fact, hasn't been in the repertoire for over a year)?

For situations like these, it would be excellent if there was an oft-updated database where we ALL might learn the songs that an artist is most likely to perform. Included, of course, would be the lyrics to these songs. Even greater would be if these songs were up for, at the very least, a Reaper Radio-quality download.

Now....and this is the important part...........Politics? Experience? Doing Shows? Selling Albums? None of that has anything at all to do with this idea.

The things needed are:
1) A website to be created.
2) A list of songs that the artist normally performs live.
3) The lyrics to the songs to be typed out.
4) The (approved) songs to be uploaded.
And not much else.

This would take a few hours and less than 20MB of space. If you had 100 profiles like this, each one would cost about 3 cents a month to maintain. I am serious. 3 cents a month.

One small idea. One random idea I came up with, probably while eating a bowl of top ramen and watching a south park re-run. The positives dwarf the negatives, and yet, there are those out there who feel I need to sell 14,000 albums before proposing something like this.

The madness must stop.

May 9, 2002
Dirty Shoez said:
Or just plain doesn't give a fuck about people like you who prefer no ideas to undeveloped ideas.

You can put lipstick on a pig all you want, and indeed, it is still a pig. But if you had it your way, there would be no pig in the first place. That is where you and I differ.

You are happy with nothing. You are content to sit on this forum, and talk about how tight albums are, and how much they slump in your hatchback. -- I am not. I prefer to speak about the scene and how to improve it, and if our "vets" are going to lack the fortitude/time/whatever to start a topic and sustain it, then I will be the one who will step in and fill the void.

If you prefer MySpace threads, then by all means. Get the fuck out of this one and stop wasting everyone's time. But if you are only going to be in this thread to co-sign and diss me, then you are doing nothing but wasting space.
So youre tellin me...if you wanted to grow some corn..and no idea how...youd just take advice from ANYONE???even if theyve NEVER grown corn before???Use your head buddy....thats just idiotic...listen to what youre sayin please cus it makes no sense...

Who said anything about nothing?What is nothing?I have alot dukes...more than you i can assure...youre just bitter because no one will listen to your crappy,non-cemented advice...seriously...WHAT makes you qualified to be such an expert on sellin albums??Because let the record show...

YOU DONT HAVE AN ALBUM TO SELL!!!!!!!!!!!

Youre blind leading the blind Tadou!!!!Thats what we are trynna get through youre thick stubborn bone headed skull!!!!!!!!!!!!

This conversation is over....go make your album...go do your super fuckin duper business plan thatll make you millions upon billions of dollars and outsell every rapper COMBINED in the NW by YOURSELF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

D said it best....DONT TALK ABOUT IT...BE ABOUT IT...

Cus as of right now...you just yappin mayne....it means NOTHING....

Bye-bye and have a nice day.. :classic:

Oct 28, 2005
www.myspace.com
"So youre tellin me...if you wanted to grow some corn..and no idea how...youd just take advice from ANYONE???even if theyve NEVER grown corn before???Use your head buddy....thats just idiotic...listen to what youre sayin please cus it makes no sense..."

If they seemed to know what they were talking about, and they weren't telling you to do anything that would potentially cost you a lot of money.....YES!!! You'd have to be an idiot to REFUSE advice from someone who had grown a small amount of corns before, albethem not huge fields of it. (By the way, Stop saying this "No", "Never", "None", and all this other shit. It's getting old. You need to come to grips with the fact that I indeed pressed up replicated retail-ready albums and sold them)

"Who said anything about nothing?What is nothing?I have alot dukes...more than you i can assure...youre just bitter because no one will listen to your crappy,non-cemented advice...seriously..."

First of all, you need to learn to separate ideas from advice. I'm not sitting here telling people to only press up 2K albums instead of 5k, or to never pay more than X amount for a beat. I am sitting here offering common sense strategies (like Lyrics/Downloads of an Artists' stock set of performance songs), and you're sitting here STILL WHINING about how many albums i've sold. You make absolutely no fucking sense.

Second of all....yes....Nothing. You have nothing. You demonstrate nothing. Which leads me to believe you either really do have nothing, or you have SO LITTLE that you are afraid and scared to share even one little smidgeon of what you have, for fear someone will steal it from you and get all the credit.

You are about credit, so you don't share your precious few ideas. I am about NW support, so i'll share anything I damn well please whether people steal it or not. Big difference.

As for all the rest......you stll don't get it. And you never will. You're still convinced this is about me, and me making money, and me being rich. No part about you understands that I DONT NEED RAP MUSIC TO GET MY MONEY. I AM BLESSED BY GOD to be able to seek employment as a Teacher or something else, and let these people that really need the money go out there and GET SOME.

The fact of the matter is, like i said, I am going to do this shit anyways. Point blank period. But its always funny to me to be able to point and laugh at people and say "I told you so". Its funny as shit, really, especially because by dissing me, the only people you're fucking over are the artists that would benefit from radio, tv and mixtape play

May 9, 2002
Dirty Shoez said:
If they seemed to know what they were talking about, and they weren't telling you to do anything that would potentially cost you a lot of money.....YES!!! You'd have to be an idiot to REFUSE advice from someone who had grown a small amount of corns before, albethem not huge fields of it. (By the way, Stop saying this "No", "Never", "None", and all this other shit. It's getting old. You need to come to grips with the fact that I indeed pressed up replicated retail-ready albums and sold them)
WOW...THIS IS ALL I NEEDED TO KNOW ABOUT YOU...I DIDNT REALIZE YOU WERE SUCH A GULLIBLE PERSON...U LEARN SOMETHIN NEW EVERYDAY....

Sep 4, 2002
IT is about you and your ALL MIGHTY IDEAS.... are you seriously that stupid not to see. read what you wrote, you come off as an ignorant man who thinks hes the know it all cuz he pressed up some CD's?

Why should anyone listen to you????

Blessed by god???

haha next thread

Aug 26, 2002
Hard Times
This will be shot down quickly by Tadou, because I've called out his bullshit too many times to count.
First off, "Bay area features don't sell albums". Really? From working with distributors and at stores in Washington I would have to say the exact opposite. Say you own a small store (remember your store you were starting? What happened?) a rapper/distributor calls trying to get you to carry an album. It's mc savage from tacoma. Of course since the rapper is local he isn't that well known. so you probably won't order many, if any. But wait, the album has e-40 on it. Maybe only one song. Maybe only a hook. But suddenely it has brand recognition. now people will be much more likely to give it a chance, possibly even buy it just off the feature. Another example: bullet. his album "we gets perved" sold. well. although with all the bullet hating people don't want to believe it. Kalyn knows it did pretty good for a local rap album. namely because it had n2deep and suga t. People wouldn;t give a goofy lookin dude a chance on his first album with no real features. but he's down with suga t and n2deep? It gave him a bit of respect. I'm sure this will spawn another long fucking post from tadou.

Dec 11, 2002
MacGuinn said:
Another example: bullet. his album "we gets perved" sold. well. although with all the bullet hating people don't want to believe it. Kalyn knows it did pretty good for a local rap album. namely because it had n2deep and suga t. People wouldn;t give a goofy lookin dude a chance on his first album with no real features. but he's down with suga t and n2deep? It gave him a bit of respect.

And this is true... features and the folks that stood behind that guy during this period sold that record.

Sep 12, 2002
I am writing from the road right now!! And I will tell youi this much--We have our work cut out for us! The northwest is gonna have to start a DJ coallition for radio, a serious street promoters linked up and your project has to be tight!! Not to mention the bottom feeding standard of Five dollars we whore our selves out for now!!!

!! I been in Kanasa City where all eyes have been on them since last year (rip dre) ---Texas where all the indies are eatin right now!!! and in the Latino Markets of the SW. There so much out here and to think I haven't even officially dropped in the northwest !! I really don't need to go there, but its home !!! and u gotta target your home markets. But I think of those markets compared to where I just been and its a rude awakening!!!

Any of you hatin on CN, Like it or not--he is the NW pioneer!! U shouldn't disrespect your elders!!! Some old native words wisdom!!!

Remember dre in the Yuk DVD
" Up & coming rappers need to step it up!! There a war and its not looking good"!!!