Is it Possible to Sell 100K+ in the NW?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 25, 2002
JusFamilyRecords.com
Zac Wood said:
What up Nutz... It's your fellow funky fresh music director homeboy Bootzilla Jenkins aka Big Kid Bootz...

You've got to admit dog, this post has been quite entertaining to read.

Anyways, I just wanted to put my 2 cents in and completely AGREE with Coolnutz.

It will take all the tools Coolnutz speaks on: immense radio support, a strategic marketing plan, an aggressive promotional campaign, and MOST IMPORTANTLY.... A HIT SONG!

I understand many people can't stand commercial radio and hate the music we play, but the fact of the matter remains... Listeners want to hear their favorite songs, and if you can't come with a HIT, you don't deserve that slot when I could play the likes of Kanye West, Lil Jon, Mariah Carey, etc. These artists make the music that pulls the ratings which makes the money which runs the station and the cycle goes on and on... Make a HIT song, and YOU WILL be able to sell 100k, period.

It can be done. It will be done. And One love to the Artist/Group that Pops it off.... (Whether it's Jus Family, Nonstop, or any other artist)
What up Bootz? This is a very interesting topic here. People don't seem to understand that it can be done, it will just take the right pieces to be in place for it to happen. Hopefully I will see it in my day.

@ Dirty Shoez

It will be done my friend.

Oct 28, 2005
www.myspace.com
Oh Coy!Ocerto said:
WOW...THIS IS ALL I NEEDED TO KNOW ABOUT YOU...I DIDNT REALIZE YOU WERE SUCH A GULLIBLE PERSON...U LEARN SOMETHIN NEW EVERYDAY....
Friend, Why do you even ASK questions when you are not going to consider the answer?

I see you are still afraid to answer to my challenge about your kind comparing me selling albums to things like Song/Lyric Databases. That you cannot even acknowledge (let alone come CLOSE to refuting) that common-sense ideas like that require NO amount of records sold or shows done to implement.....is hilarious to me.

Its common fucking sense. And you don't need a Cool Nutz or a Syko to say it. The shit simply makes sense, and it is not available right now and should be. PERIOD.

MacGuinn said:
This will be shot down quickly by Tadou, because I've called out his bullshit too many times to count.
First off, "Bay area features don't sell albums". Really?
Friend, and then you wonder why i have to shoot you down. That quote does not exist. It just doesn't. You made it up and then went off on a rant. So what you are about to say here, has to be taken with MULTIPLE grains of salt, seeing as though it was never my quote to begin with. Thats all you...don't blame me for that.

But being the hypocrite I would be if i didn't make the best of the situation.....I will definitely touch on the topic and be as tolerant and respectful of your thoughts as I can be.

From working with distributors and at stores in Washington I would have to say the exact opposite. Say you own a small store (remember your store you were starting? What happened?) a rapper/distributor calls trying to get you to carry an album. It's mc savage from tacoma. Of course since the rapper is local he isn't that well known. so you probably won't order many, if any. But wait, the album has e-40 on it. Maybe only one song. Maybe only a hook. But suddenely it has brand recognition. now people will be much more likely to give it a chance, possibly even buy it just off the feature. Another example: bullet. his album "we gets perved" sold. well. although with all the bullet hating people don't want to believe it. Kalyn knows it did pretty good for a local rap album. namely because it had n2deep and suga t. People wouldn;t give a goofy lookin dude a chance on his first album with no real features. but he's down with suga t and n2deep? It gave him a bit of respect. I'm sure this will spawn another long fucking post from tadou.
Of course, for the long post. The store was put on hold because i left the country for 4 months, and that shit was not going tohappen from Mexico. Give it some time

The other stuff.....this is very true. Whether this comes from You or HOTCHICK75 or any other person, it makes sense. I personally do not pick my albums like that, but it cannot be denied that it is done.

My quote though, was that (and I believe i was being hypothetical when i said it, but i could be wrong) debut artists ought not to have the Bay Area features. It's my belief that this creates too much of a bugetary strain and heightens up expectations that most are, unfortunately, unable to meet.

If they'd have just did the album for cheap and let the people decide if they wanted to support it and for the artist to continue, half the one-album-wonders out there might still be rapping! But instead we get, "It got marketed bad", or "I had some personal problems", and 101 other excuses for them spending too much and accomplishing too little. So the sophomore album, if it even comes, doesn't usually come for 3-4 years later, after 7-8 times being pushed back, broken promises about distribution, etc. Happens all the time.

A Man like Unexpected Arrival, I believe, has demonstrated the right way to do things. He didn't come out of the Box with E-40 and Yukmouth and these people--he took his case directly to the court of public opinion, and ONLY NOW that he's on his 4th (i think?) album, he is going out there and getting those big names.

This comes with a disclaimer though. If you find that perfect rapper, and the man is recording a lot of material in the studio, lives very close to the studio, has shown incredible dedication, etc....then yes, you definitely should look into making his debut album as strong as possible, as long as you know that this isn't the type of man that is going to whine and run away, but is going to turn that 5K loss into only a $500 loss, and keep it moving. (I hope You know what I mean by that?)

Bay Area features are always good. They sell more copies and expand audiences, not just to the Bay, but to ALL the areas of the country familiar with those Bay artists. I'm not going to sit here and say that "You should make a name by YOURSELF!" stuff and diss people, cus thats not how I roll. If it makes sense FOR YOU...then do it. Thats always going to be the reality of the situation.

Oct 28, 2005
www.myspace.com
Cool Nutz said:
@ Dirty Shoez

It will be done my friend.
Verily. And inshallah, you will be a part of it in some capacity. Your ability to manage and place artists on region-wide tours and concerts is unmatchable. You are already the man to go to now, and once you scale back your own personal rap career, you will be unrivaled. You are The Guy, and that much is not open to argument.

If i can quote the old school Sportcenter here: "You can't stop him. You can only hope to contain him.

May 9, 2002
Dirty Shoez said:
Friend, Why do you even ASK questions when you are not going to consider the answer?

I see you are still afraid to answer to my challenge about your kind comparing me selling albums to things like Song/Lyric Databases. That you cannot even acknowledge (let alone come CLOSE to refuting) that common-sense ideas like that require NO amount of records sold or shows done to implement.....is hilarious to me.

Its common fucking sense. And you don't need a Cool Nutz or a Syko to say it. The shit simply makes sense, and it is not available right now and should be. PERIOD.
I aint your friend for one...stop referreing to me as such...

Anyways...

I...have no clue...what the hell youre talkin about...

All i said was...you are NOT qualified...to tell people HOW to sell records...especially people like Cool Nutz...who has sold MANY units...with little to NO distribution...and has done and CONTINUES to do shows...with major acts...so cut the crap...

Like i said....dont talk about it...be about it...

We are done argueing this meaningless topic...kapeesh?

Mar 13, 2003
www.billythefridge.com
Dirty Shoez said:
This is very true. The only thing i would add to it is, more independent media. Now, for one, would be the perfect time for a UA DVD start being made and come out early next year, so that he might continue pushing this product without feeling the need to 'replace' it with a follow-up. This is all true. You suck at using paragraphs :confused: but it is all true!
You'll be happy to know that Neema has had a film crew following him around for the majority of his shows and some street work over the past year/two. The DVD will be coming, maybe even near the time you suggested it to.

Mar 13, 2003
www.billythefridge.com
KALYN said:
Bi-polar.... thats what I'm thinking... or maybe multiple personality disorder..
The scary thing is, some of the greatest in this industry were walking contradictions.

But like many will tell you, in order to be something, you gotta do something...

Contradictive people are doing 2 things at once.

Aug 26, 2002
Hard Times
Dirty Shoez said:
These days, people are doing the mixtapes, and expecting to get Distro and have a budget and big name features on the shit, and it is amazing. Unless Yukmouth is going to invite you to perform with him at every show he does in the NW (including outside of your city), then don't bother paying him or anyone else money. I can't see it.

5. Stop paying rappers for verses when they could give a fuck about you.

Okay Tadou. I summerized your quote before because I didn't want to read your long ass posts again to pull out a quote. But I think everyone else would agree with me that you are saying don't pay for features.

Dirty Shoez said:
5. Stop paying rappers for verses when they could give a fuck about you.
I'm pretty sure thats what this means, don't pay for features. But I'm sure you have a different twist on it.

Oct 28, 2005
www.myspace.com
@Fridge

My contradiction is being Lazy and Ambitious at the same time. It is deadly.

KALYN said:
Bi-polar.... thats what I'm thinking... or maybe multiple personality disorder..
Yeah, or ADHD. Or OCD. Or some other thing that is not related in the least bit with the other names I'm throwing out, but hey, they sound insulting enough for it to not matter.

OCDP and INTJ. This is the situation. INTJ's are about 1% of the population and are aptly dubbed the "Masterminds".

Oh Coy!Ocerto said:
I aint your friend for one...stop referreing to me as such...
Yes you are. We r frends.

[lots of finger-typing]

We are done argueing this meaningless topic...kapeesh?
No, we aren't. And this topic is far from meaningless. Any meaning it has lost has been YOUR FAULT for CONTINUING to make ME, and not THE IDEAS, the topic of conversation.

I want you to sit here and argue to the entire forum, that having a database with song lyrics and downloads of an artists most often performed songs, will LOSE sales, because [insert stupid reason here] ("They could read the lyrics already!! So why would they buy the CD??").

Then I am going to argue that it would GAIN sales because when more people know the song lyrics, more people feel confident going to the shows; going to more shows means buying more CDs.

And then, of course...you will be defeated.

What that one robot bitch said in I, Robot? "My logic is undeniable." You're sitting here whining because I'M ME, but if i was anyone else you'd be giddy as a school girl right now.

Fridge said:
You'll be happy to know that Neema has had a film crew following him around for the majority of his shows and some street work over the past year/two. The DVD will be coming, maybe even near the time you suggested it to.
Very apropos.

Hopefully the scraps will be tossed out there on a bootleg or up on a website for those who don't want to wait that long.

Oct 28, 2005
www.myspace.com
MacGuinn said:
Okay Tadou. I summerized your quote before because I didn't want to read your long ass posts again to pull out a quote. But I think everyone else would agree with me that you are saying don't pay for features.
Exactly. But I have given in to the possibility of paying for gas money, drinks in the studio, cigarettes, giving them left over studio time, etc. But I WILL NOT hand an artist cash FOR a verse.

I'm pretty sure thats what this means, don't pay for features. But I'm sure you have a different twist on it.
Yup. If you're going to pay for a feature, don't just track down your favorite rapper and throw money at him. Make sure there's some mutual interest going on there. Like its been said many times before, by people like me and `veterans` alike: when you pay for verses, you aren't just paying for 16s: you're paying for a connect as well.

The main thing I am saying is, if that artist you paid for don't even holler at you when he comes to town to check on how you and the project are doing, or isn't inviting you to come perform at one of his shows (even just to do the song y'all did together), or even offering you a free ticket...if he just plain acts like he FORGOT about you.....thats the whole thing right there.

Pay the gas, buy the drinks, the smokes...the smoke...even fly them out and back if you have to. Block out 12 hours, record your track in 2, and give 'em the rest. But paying cash for the verse (especially for your debut), IMO, sets a bad precident for your career.

Dec 11, 2002
Dirty Shoez said:
Then I am going to argue that it would GAIN sales because when more people know the song lyrics, more people feel confident going to the shows;

I dont argue that having a website with the song lyrics posted is a bad idea.. several artists do it on their own sites.. but as for the "people feeling more confident to go to a show" because they can sing along..? :rolleyes:

Oct 28, 2005
www.myspace.com
.....By all means, continue!

Tell us about how fun it is to go to a show and not have a clue what any of the verses or even choruses are going to sound like.

Realize though that I'm going to throw back in faces the hippie-like proclamation that mainstream music only sells because its simple and easy to memorize, thus, easier to sing along with and feel like you're a part of :cool:

Dec 11, 2002
Dirty Shoez said:
Pay the gas, buy the drinks, the smokes...the smoke...even fly them out and back if you have to. Block out 12 hours, record your track in 2, and give 'em the rest. But paying cash for the verse (especially for your debut), IMO, sets a bad precident for your career.

Youre not gonna get Bun B, Cam'ron, Flip, Paul Wall, etc... anyone makin' real money- anyone with their own established fanbase-- folks that do music as their JOB.. to fly out for a blunt and a 40.. (this conversation is so pointless but so is decaf coffee... anyway) .. get some features- get your foot in the door.. get some features- sell additional units.. features are an 'investment' IMO but heeey what do I know..? I'm just a female that passes out flyers.. lol..

Aug 26, 2002
Hard Times
Dirty Shoez said:
Hey tadou, All these things are bought with cash where I am from. Why does it matter if you buy 12 hours studio time and then give it to them, instead of just paying in the first place? I am not playing dumb here, I'm genuinely confused as to what difference it makes. Does it sit better on your conscience to not actually deal with cash? If the consumer doesn't know that you paid cash instead of gave them "smoke" then why does it matter?

Oct 28, 2005
www.myspace.com
It sets a bad precident. There is no other way i can really put it.

As for the bigger names--if paying for their flight here, hotel room for them and the entourage, meals, drinks, going to the club, studio time, transportation while there, flight back, and everything else (or some combination of these things) doesn't cover it.....then fuck them.

If you want to toss your life savings at Flip, thinking some bumblefuck 15-year-old punk is going to salivate over your album and buy it over, say, a Flip album....I feel sorry for you. And I hope all the bad things in life happen to you, and only you.

Sep 4, 2002
Dirty Shoez said:
It sets a bad precident. There is no other way i can really put it.

As for the bigger names--if paying for their flight here, hotel room for them and the entourage, meals, drinks, going to the club, studio time, transportation while there, flight back, and everything else (or some combination of these things) doesn't cover it.....then fuck them.

If you want to toss your life savings at Flip, thinking some bumblefuck 15-year-old punk is going to salivate over your album and buy it over, say, a Flip album....I feel sorry for you. And I hope all the bad things in life happen to you, and only you.
IF THEY AINT DOWN WITH WHAT TADOU THINKS FUCK THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I AM

Some Random Asshole
Apr 25, 2002
KALYN said:
Youre not gonna get Bun B, Cam'ron, Flip, Paul Wall, etc... anyone makin' real money- anyone with their own established fanbase-- folks that do music as their JOB.. to fly out for a blunt and a 40...

LOL...What are you talkin about? They'll do it for half a pack of Newports and a 5 bowl! hahaha...