I Can Rap For J. Cole

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 25, 2002
You're welcome! I figured you probably weren't doing it on purpose. Have you ever experimented with any "studio tricks" to mask it? There's a great message board called GearSlutz where tons of professional and amateur recording engineers and producers post. You could make a post on there and explain your voice situation with some audio examples and get feedback on different techniques you could use to cover it up.

Unfortunately I don't have much advice on how to physically improve your voice, besides to stop smoking cigs and only smoke weed through vaporizers, bongs, or bubblers. If any of that even applies to you lol.

GearSlutz is the shit, but dude just needs to work on his lungs. studio tricks aint gonna mask him live on stage. dude dont rap hella fast at all, and he plays basketball so he should be able to control his breathing with the way he raps. to me it seems like his style kinda provokes that "fade". he just needs to practice and tweek his style. keep recording and keep hearin his shit back until he gets it right.

Jul 12, 2002
GearSlutz is the shit, but dude just needs to work on his lungs. studio tricks aint gonna mask him live on stage. dude dont rap hella fast at all, and he plays basketball so he should be able to control his breathing with the way he raps. to me it seems like his style kinda provokes that "fade". he just needs to practice and tweek his style. keep recording and keep hearin his shit back until he gets it right.
Most "studio tricks" would involve using an adlib, which isn't much different from having a backing vocal track (with just a couple words at the end of every line and the hooks) over the instrumental for live performances. That's more common than having no vocals at all.

You're right though it's most important that he improves his voice first and foremost.

Props: Bay-Wit-It
Feb 12, 2008
Most "studio tricks" would involve using an adlib, which isn't much different from having a backing vocal track (with just a couple words at the end of every line and the hooks) over the instrumental for live performances. That's more common than having no vocals at all.

You're right though it's most important that he improves his voice first and foremost.
https://soundcloud.com/brown-boi/jesus-in-the-booth-thank-you

Can you guys check this song out and tell me if you still hear the same thing going on? This song was recorded only a couple of months ago as opposed to Thing Called Life which was recorded early 2012.

Feb 12, 2008
voted every day so far for you homie

where you at on the list now?
Good lookin to everybody that held me down. I lost the competition but believe it or not I ended up rapping for Cole outside his tour bus that night. Most surreal shit that has happened in my life so far. Who knows if he actually like it or not but I did what I originally planned to do and have zero regrets. Thanks for yall support though forreal.

recklessofgilaz

Im Gay until I log back in
Oct 30, 2008
Gilaz with Track Killa and Vince
Good lookin to everybody that held me down. I lost the competition but believe it or not I ended up rapping for Cole outside his tour bus that night. Most surreal shit that has happened in my life so far. Who knows if he actually like it or not but I did what I originally planned to do and have zero regrets. Thanks for yall support though forreal.
Good shit bro. You had a goal and accomplished it. I commend you for that. Wish you the best success in your music homie

Apr 25, 2002

Can you guys check this song out and tell me if you still hear the same thing going on? This song was recorded only a couple of months ago as opposed to Thing Called Life which was recorded early 2012.

its hella there bro bruh. like i said in the other post, i think your style provokes that, and it can work. you need to figure out your voice. listen to B-La in the youtube video @ 4:12 when he says "stuck beeeeitch". difference is he holds on to the word while you let go faster. other than that your doin damn near what he does, but he still leaves the power in his throat for that shit. you let air have control and it comes out too faded. no power. that shit you do fits in with your style but you need to work on it. just keep on fading words like you do. not when your recording, but just start mouthin off words and fade them out when you got spare time. some singers can hit a lot of shit, cus they sit and learn their voice. vocal cords and lungs. they "try" and hit shit. dont mean they can always hit shit, but they get to know their voice better that way. i guarantee you aint fully learned what your workin with yet.

recklessofgilaz

Im Gay until I log back in
Oct 30, 2008
Gilaz with Track Killa and Vince
its hella there bro bruh. like i said in the other post, i think your style provokes that, and it can work. you need to figure out your voice. listen to B-La in the youtube video @ 4:12 when he says "stuck beeeeitch". difference is he holds on to the word while you let go faster. other than that your doin damn near what he does, but he still leaves the power in his throat for that shit. you let air have control and it comes out too faded. no power. that shit you do fits in with your style but you need to work on it. just keep on fading words like you do. not when your recording, but just start mouthin off words and fade them out when you got spare time. some singers can hit a lot of shit, cus they sit and learn their voice. vocal cords and lungs. they "try" and hit shit. dont mean they can always hit shit, but they get to know their voice better that way. i guarantee you aint fully learned what your workin with yet.

This is some good advice

Jul 12, 2002

F @Foul Mouth summed it up pretty well already. It does sound a little less obvious in this newer song though, but there's a lot more going on in the beat and you have more backing vocals so it's hard to say.

Congrats on rapping for J Cole though!