HAVE ANY OF U WORKED AT BEST BUY?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 25, 2002
I worked there. Hated it. You could make a career of it if you have a college education and like to play their system and work as a manager.

I wouldn't want to try and make a living off their "associate" wages.

Merch = dead end

Jan 30, 2006
i dont intend to stay there long (if i do get the job)
plus i only had 1 job prior to this...doing the same thing (shipping/receiving)
im gonna work untill i start at ccsf next year
i just need a job for misc. things
games, clothes, trees.....

Apr 5, 2005
Yeah of course you can make a career out of it. Its whatever you put your mind too. My boy started in Computer sales, then Assistant Manager and now he's a Store Manager up in Sac. I'm sure he makes around $75,000.00 per year take or give $5000. I worked there twice. Got fired once and then re-hired at the Colma store starting me off at $15 hr off the bat about 3-4 years ago. Only thing I hated about BB was the shitty hours. I never had a set schedule and my hours was fluxuate. One week i'll get 30+ and then the following week i'd get 10 hours. I hated that shit! Give me a fuckin set schedule! So I quit.

Apr 16, 2003
google.com
WELL IM ASKING BECAUSE I WORK THERE NOW AND IM WONDERING CAN YOU REALLY MAKE A CAREER OF BEST BUY OR IS IT BULLSHIT?ALSO DO BEST BUY EMPLOYEES EVER GET RAISES?
I worked there for a while when I was going to school. I was highly regarded but I had to leave because I accepted a better job elsewhere.....

Anyway to answer a few questions, as far as I know the employee discount is/was at cost + 5%. This means Best buy sells you the item they bought at wholesale price, and tack on 5% so they still make a small margin. Discount is great for accessories and Car Audio especially.

If you're thinking about making BB a career, you are going to have to sell out and buy in to all of the shenanigans. It's one giant social game. You have to be in the "in" crowd to move up. Hours are shitty, I'm guessing that you're making no more than $12 /hr and no more than 32 hours as a full timer. And for that much, you're going to have days where you want to say fuckit, this shit ain't worth it because it isn't.

One thing about supervisor/management rolls is that you are 100% replaceable at any time for any reason. In my first year we went through about 3 sales managers alone, my supervisor was replaced a few times and in other departments it was more frequent.

Being a sales rep was shitty, no commission but they sure are on your ass to sell warranties and accessories with everything.

That company is cutthroat to the extreme, I remember when Merch had there own manager and that position was eliminated across the US. Something like 900 managers were offered a regular hourly wage or they could take the severance pay and leave.

Anyway if you gotta make some money to pay the bills and take care of the fam, then you gotta do what you gotta do. I can almost promise you will eventually dread going to work at some point.

Jan 5, 2006
i hate retail.. ive worked at a couple places and damn.. NEVER AGAIN. The word recovery was my worst nightmare. id rather work for a small business like i do right now than a big chain.

Aug 7, 2003
why when i went into a best buy today, everyone in the store asks me if i need help and smiled at me. that shit was so damn phony it made me mad. and there was like 40 employees and 5 people in the store. then they make you walk around this big ass shit to go to the registers. fuck best buy not to mention they high price.

and one time i bought a hdtv and tried to take it back and the fucker had to open the box and turn on the tv and see if it did what i said it did. shit took 30 minutes that was unnecessary. i told the dude regradless if it doesnt do what i said it did (loses audio sync after 30 minutes) i wanted a refund so why hold me up. he said it was procedure.

and one of my boys needed a new hard drive to be put in his computer, 6 days.

Apr 16, 2003
google.com
The biggest annoyance I have about the 3 stores within my area is that whenever I'm browsing I hear the PA codes and all of the sudden I get greeted by like 3 people. It's pretty funny knowing the codes and then when they call a code orange and hella people show up in the isle they think you're about to steal something.