Extended Jobless Benefits Will Pass House

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 25, 2002
I see a lot of people talking about not taking jobs for pay lower than they were receiving before. I understand that, but this is the scary truth;

Part of the problem really simplifies down to simple Econ 101, supply and demand.

There are more people than there are good jobs.

The scary part is, as technology increases productivity and the global (cheaper) workforce continues to emerge; competition for jobs is going up, while the supply of jobs is going down.

Irrespective of the "Great Recession" this is a trend that is going to continue into the foreseeable future.

Something to consider. It should definitely influence your attitude towards saving and careless spending.

I think the point though is that while you have unemployment as a safety net you should be pursuing jobs that are at the pay level you had before. And, for sure, not pursuing jobs that are at a pay level below that of your unemployment.

Now when you get the the point that your unemployment runs out; I'm of the opinion you get whatever kind of job and how ever many of them you can to support your family.

Some people will be pushed out of their piror pay grade, yes. But I don't think they should stop trying until necessity dictates.

Jan 9, 2009
To all the people who are saying that the "unemployed" are just sitting on unemployment and raking in that "money" FUCK YOU...I have 4 kids and a wife (she works) and the amount that i get on unemployment no matter how much it is, isnt enough to sit comfortable...We are basically living of bare essentials while im on unemployment to me this isnt living "the life"...Shit it's fucked up! I have even stopped smoking weed all together cuz i've been looking for a job since November.....We went from going every where doing every thing like disneyland, water parks, Great America when i was working to staying home and at the most having a little barbeque.....I have felt a huge impact since this economy has taken a shit, from living in a house with a mortgage to selling it cuz our fucked up mortgage company wouldnt let us modify out loan.....We went from having our own house in san jose to renting a house in san jose....It was to be long term but i lost my job and couldnt afford the rent for another year so we had to do what we had to do and that is move into an apartment (which i fucking hate!!!!) It doesnt make financial sense for me to take a job that offers less money than i would be making on unemployment (that equals less food on the table for my family...Could you do that to yours just to say you have a job???) and yes i have turned down jobs like that!!.......When i was working i was just over $20 hr.( edit: almost forgot about the pay raise we got in October a month before i got laid off from the union) I went from that to getting in over barely $1600 a month on unemployment....that aint shit and it definetly isnt no fuckin vacation for me!!!!! I have applied to a shit load of fuckin jobs out here in the bay (mainly south bay since thats where i am) and even out in the Livermore area and nobody (for exception of $12 hr or lower) has given me any kind of call back.....I have been notified from a couple of potential employers that i am "over qualified" their main reason for not hiring me lately even though i need money and my thing is "some money is better than no money" since my unemployment checks have stopped....I have been to so many temp agencies I am getting sick of these so called "interviews" and all i have ever been offered there is exactly what didnt make sense to me financially ($12 or less and hr)....It seems that since all these checks have stopped coming in that people are taking any kind of job that comes their way no matter the pay....The only problem with that is now since im willing to take a huge (almost $8-10 hr pay cut) all those temp agency calls have stopped....HHmmmm wonder why?!??!? I know that im not going to get a job paying me $19 or 20 hr off the bat to almost equal the pay where i was working at before but i have been putting as low as $14 hr on applications for desired salary......Interesting enough no call backs for interviews. For the government to leave us people who barely make it on unemployments "huge" checks they give us is wrong in so many ways and forcing us to basically take any kind of employment so that what jobless number claims could drop??? fuck that i have responsibilities and my family is first on my mind when I wake up in the morning and get in gear for another day (or hours) of filling out job applications and going to temp agency interviews....i get up @ 5:30 in the morning almost every week day to fill out applications cuz i am going off of the notion "the early bird catches the worm" and still nothing (that shit gets really discouraging after a while!!)....So for those "people" wether political or not that think most of us are getting "lazy" sitting on unemployment, i'll change places with you for the last six months and let me know how it goes......But im sure most of you will be so egotistical saying "i can find a job" "no big fucking deal"....Become unemployed and try and get another job that will keep your family financially afloat...Or shut the fuck up biaaaatch.....haha
lulz

Apr 2, 2005
I feel all yall pain man. i was in that situation in 05. I used to work in warehouses doin forklifts, makin deliveries an shit livin good makin 18.24 an hour. Got laid off and they started playinwit my unemployment checks, sayin i aint sign this or that, anything to not send my shit. After 3 months i said fuck it man and got a maintenance/custodial job which actually turned out to be cool, i dont do shit really but look at shit on the net lol. 4 dollar pay cut but fuck it, gotta do what ya gotta do in this economy pimp. I'll take $1200 over that 571 they was givin me. Yall stay up man

Apr 26, 2006
^^^^hahahahaha that's a dick!

But seriously, "that's life." Our ancesters had it worst and those that were in the great depression. As long as humans are behind it, nothing in life is guaranteed to last forever. You just got to be smart with your money. Best thing is to become an entrepreneur in these times. Fuck relying on others for money.

Glad I've been playing it smart. I don't have any kids and don't plan on having any anytime soon. Nor have I made any dumb financial decisions where I know I can't pay.

Gas One

May 24, 2006
Downtown, Pittsburg. Southeast Dago.
the fucked up part about my situation is that i was about to go to either Heald or Wester Career College and get my edumication on in either health care or computers, that way i am doing something productive since i am not working but since all this shit came about i have now switched back to looking for a full time job cuz my government left me out to dry...That doesnt sit well with me knowing i have other mouths to feed. So now my focus has switched to either finding a full time (temp or perm) plus a part time or 3 part time jobs...I gotta do what i gotta do for my family's well being!

how does temporary work effect your UI eligibility? cuz im thinking about going that route right now cuz i can prolly have a job by next week.....but like you i'm thinking why not go back to school for some certificate program shit, keep my UI benifits and get financial aid for school on top of that?

do you literally gotta quit after a week of working or it becomes inactive?
check slips could be in the mail by this weekend/next week...

i sure as fuck aint gonna get paid from a legit job quicker than ill get my next UI check...thats the problem here...wait two and a half weeks for a check or possibly or wait for a month...unless i temp job it...and its not worth fucking off the claim..but with that said i do need the money

not sure which road to take

off topic anyone know which schools are best for certification programs and which programs are best?

Meta4iCAL

Raider Nation
Feb 21, 2005
how does temporary work effect your UI eligibility? cuz im thinking about going that route right now cuz i can prolly have a job by next week.....but like you i'm thinking why not go back to school for some certificate program shit, keep my UI benifits and get financial aid for school on top of that?

do you literally gotta quit after a week of working or it becomes inactive?
check slips could be in the mail by this weekend/next week...
if you're working a temp job you can't collect UI benefits

once the temp job is over you can collect again, until you start another job

you can register with as many temp agencies as you want, and still collect UI benefits... but once you actually get put on an assignment, you can't collect for that time period

Dec 3, 2009
^^^^hahahahaha that's a dick!

But seriously, "that's life." Our ancesters had it worst and those that were in the great depression. As long as humans are behind it, nothing in life is guaranteed to last forever. You just got to be smart with your money. Best thing is to become an entrepreneur in these times. Fuck relying on others for money.

Glad I've been playing it smart. I don't have any kids and don't plan on having any anytime soon. Nor have I made any dumb financial decisions where I know I can't pay.
You damm right! There's nothing better than being an entrepreneur !

Jun 23, 2002
you can actually work a temp job and in some cases still collect your benefits. it depends how much your wba is and how much you earn per week gross. if you work 40+ in any wk regardless of how much you make of course you dont get jack shit

for example. if your wba is $450, if you earn $600.00 or more gross in a wk you cant get paid for that wk. as long as you earn $599.00 or less you can get a partial payment.

but thats only if your wba is 450 tho

Gas One

May 24, 2006
^ good looking out for that info. i thought that was the case. whats the wba stand for so im clear on that? i can kinda guess just wanna make sure. i guess it wouldnt be that huge of a loss if i lost my ui, i can apply and get it back..and im not getting much weekly anyway....but temp jobs are known to give people short assignments sometimes..

so id get a chceck then be put out the game for UI for 3 weeks till the next one..

i thought i read somewhere that after 2 weeks the UI claim is inactive until youre unemployed again..but i did see the shit about being able to collect partial benefits on the edd website...

man ive never had so many technicalities involved with shit like this...kinda crazy..might have to crunch some numbers...

Aug 24, 2003
To all the people who are saying that the "unemployed" are just sitting on unemployment and raking in that "money" FUCK YOU...I have 4 kids and a wife (she works) and the amount that i get on unemployment no matter how much it is, isnt enough to sit comfortable...We are basically living of bare essentials while im on unemployment to me this isnt living "the life"...Shit it's fucked up! I have even stopped smoking weed all together cuz i've been looking for a job since November.....We went from going every where doing every thing like disneyland, water parks, Great America when i was working to staying home and at the most having a little barbeque.....I have felt a huge impact since this economy has taken a shit, from living in a house with a mortgage to selling it cuz our fucked up mortgage company wouldnt let us modify out loan.....We went from having our own house in san jose to renting a house in san jose....It was to be long term but i lost my job and couldnt afford the rent for another year so we had to do what we had to do and that is move into an apartment (which i fucking hate!!!!) It doesnt make financial sense for me to take a job that offers less money than i would be making on unemployment (that equals less food on the table for my family...Could you do that to yours just to say you have a job???) and yes i have turned down jobs like that!!.......When i was working i was just over $20 hr.( edit: almost forgot about the pay raise we got in October a month before i got laid off from the union) I went from that to getting in over barely $1600 a month on unemployment....that aint shit and it definetly isnt no fuckin vacation for me!!!!! I have applied to a shit load of fuckin jobs out here in the bay (mainly south bay since thats where i am) and even out in the Livermore area and nobody (for exception of $12 hr or lower) has given me any kind of call back.....I have been notified from a couple of potential employers that i am "over qualified" their main reason for not hiring me lately even though i need money and my thing is "some money is better than no money" since my unemployment checks have stopped....I have been to so many temp agencies I am getting sick of these so called "interviews" and all i have ever been offered there is exactly what didnt make sense to me financially ($12 or less and hr)....It seems that since all these checks have stopped coming in that people are taking any kind of job that comes their way no matter the pay....The only problem with that is now since im willing to take a huge (almost $8-10 hr pay cut) all those temp agency calls have stopped....HHmmmm wonder why?!??!? I know that im not going to get a job paying me $19 or 20 hr off the bat to almost equal the pay where i was working at before but i have been putting as low as $14 hr on applications for desired salary......Interesting enough no call backs for interviews. For the government to leave us people who barely make it on unemployments "huge" checks they give us is wrong in so many ways and forcing us to basically take any kind of employment so that what jobless number claims could drop??? fuck that i have responsibilities and my family is first on my mind when I wake up in the morning and get in gear for another day (or hours) of filling out job applications and going to temp agency interviews....i get up @ 5:30 in the morning almost every week day to fill out applications cuz i am going off of the notion "the early bird catches the worm" and still nothing (that shit gets really discouraging after a while!!)....So for those "people" wether political or not that think most of us are getting "lazy" sitting on unemployment, i'll change places with you for the last six months and let me know how it goes......But im sure most of you will be so egotistical saying "i can find a job" "no big fucking deal"....Become unemployed and try and get another job that will keep your family financially afloat...Or shut the fuck up biaaaatch.....haha
sounds like you were living way beyond your means and now since the party has stopped, the reality that you were a slave to your credit rating and mortgage payments is settling in. maybe you'll come back down to earth where people don't go on disneyland and other expensive vacations all summer with money they don't have.

i dont know why you feel you're entitled to some great comfortable life for you your wife and your four kids. lol who do you think you are? what kind of sick twisted alternate universe do you live in?

Mar 13, 2003
sounds like you were living way beyond your means and now since the party has stopped, the reality that you were a slave to your credit rating and mortgage payments is settling in. maybe you'll come back down to earth where people don't go on disneyland and other expensive vacations all summer with money they don't have.

i dont know why you feel you're entitled to some great comfortable life for you your wife and your four kids. lol who do you think you are? what kind of sick twisted alternate universe do you live in?

you know what? i thought this sign was a lil amusing

Apr 21, 2006
I want to slap the shit out of the EDD right now. Incompetent fucks. I call today and the rep is like we are trying to catch up, your check will be mailed next week. I say to her: you mean you guys were not watching congress and did not have a system in place to expedite checks once the president signed the legislation? Her answer: they didn't tell us the checks were going to be stopped the first time.

Senator Byrd died so they didn't get the votes. That is why they were stopped the first time. That has nothing to do with the EDD being in chaos right now. Nothing is updated, they have no answers.

Then she says to me: we havent gotten the money from the government yet.

Are you fucking serious, it doesn't work like that. It's some political sabatoge shit going on. New York already has their shit going out to people on their debit cards. They can put in their bi-weekly forms online and get their money electronically. CALI sucks ass for this shit. Just because our governor is from a third world country our state has to be run like one?

Jun 19, 2004
^^

Our great senator!! rest in piss!

“He didn’t just go to a couple of meetings…he was a Grand Cyclops! He got pretty close to the Grand Kleagle. He was an Exalted Cyclops! This was not just a casual association that Senator Byrd had…He’s described as having a ‘fleeting association’ with the Klan. An Exalted Cyclops means he was a recruiter. Robert Byrd formed a KKK chapter. He didn’t just go to a couple of meetings. A Kleagle was a recruiter, and he was a recruiter for the KKK for years. He formed his chapter in 1943. He was still writing about the ‘vital need’ for the Klan in 1946. Oh yeah. Fleeting association. Repentant. Making up for it.”

“Senator Byrd was so ‘repentant’ he opposed every civil rights movement. Senator Byrd filibustered the Civil Rights Act of 1965. He voted against both Thurgood Marshall and Clarence Thomas. It wasn’t until the death of his son in a car accident in the early 1980s that Robert Byrd said he had to rethink his feelings about black people. He said in the 1980s--that it ‘finally occurred to (him) that they might love their children, too.’ That’s Robert Byrd that Clinton said has a ‘fleeting association’ with the KKK…”

“…Robert Byrd wrote to segregationist Mississippi Senator Theodore Bilbo, in 1944, ‘I shall never fight in the armed forces with a Negro by my side. Rather, I should die a thousand times, see Old Glory trampled in the dirt never to rise again than to see this beloved land of ours become degraded by race mongrels, a throwback to the blackest specimen from the wilds.’ Robert Byrd, 1944. He was a recruiter in the Klan. He did not have a ‘fleeting association.’ What I just read to you is Robert Byrd in a letter to Senator Theodore Bilbo (Democrat, Mississippi) 1944.”

“In 1946 or ’47 Byrd wrote a letter to the Grand Wizard of the Klan saying, ‘The Klan is needed today as never before. I’m anxious to see its rebirth here in West Virginia and in every state of the nation.’ Byrd was the only senator to have voted against Thurgood Marshall and Clarence Thomas, the only two African-Americans to have been nominated to the Supreme Court, and Byrd opposed Thomas…You’ve forgotten this, I’m sure,…but Senator Byrd opposed Clarence Thomas because Byrd stated he was offended by Thomas’ use of the phrase ‘high-tech lynching’ of uppity blacks in his defense…Robert Byrd also opposed some of George W. Bush’s judicial and cabinet nominees who were black, notably, Janice Rogers Brown for judge of the U.S. Court of appeals D.C. district...He opposed Condoleezza Rice for Secretary of State.”

Apr 21, 2006
LOL yeah he was a racist son of a bitch. BUT he was the GOOD kind of RACIST. The kind that will say it to your FACE!

Gas One

May 24, 2006
I want to slap the shit out of the EDD right now. Incompetent fucks. I call today and the rep is like we are trying to catch up, your check will be mailed next week. I say to her: you mean you guys were not watching congress and did not have a system in place to expedite checks once the president signed the legislation? Her answer: they didn't tell us the checks were going to be stopped the first time.

Senator Byrd died so they didn't get the votes. That is why they were stopped the first time. That has nothing to do with the EDD being in chaos right now. Nothing is updated, they have no answers.

Then she says to me: we havent gotten the money from the government yet.

Are you fucking serious, it doesn't work like that. It's some political sabatoge shit going on. New York already has their shit going out to people on their debit cards. They can put in their bi-weekly forms online and get their money electronically. CALI sucks ass for this shit. Just because our governor is from a third world country our state has to be run like one?
great...this is fucking stupid....thats why i didnt even call EDD..i didnt even wanna hear those bullshit exscuses...i might have to say fuck it..cuz i cant wait another extra 3 weeks..

Jun 23, 2002
wba = weekly benefit amt

and obama signed into law the extension bill thurs at 4pm. how the FUCK do u expect to have your check so fast?