Exotic Fish for 55 Gallon freshwater tank..

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 3, 2002
I've had a 44 gallon pentagon tank for years but getting tired of it I have rope fish, dragon fish, angel fish a red tail shark and some algae eaters...i'm lookin to get a 100+ gallon tank and start up a salt water tank as a lil hobby I heard it's a bit rough but not too shabby so imma fuck with it.....My fresh water tank is upstairs in my loft and I get tired of goin up and feedin them but they've survived so imma throw my saltwater tank down in my living room so I don't forget to baby it.....still undecided on what fish to get for my saltwater tank

Feb 5, 2006
USED TO HAVE ONE OF THESE. IT WAS 6-7 INCHES

ELONGATUS PIRANHA. SUPPOSED TO BE THE MOST AGGRESSIVE SPECIES. THE SHIT WOULD FOLLOW MY FINGER OUTSIDE THE TANK TRYNA BITE THROUGH THE GLASS. EVERYTHING I DROPPED IN THE TANK GOT MERKED IN SECONDS

Chree

Medicated
Dec 7, 2005
I got 3 ball pythons, one normal and two other morphs. One's a spider and the other's a mojave, Im bout to get into breeding em in a few years. Trynna pick some different morphs too. I also got one female blood python, that's a bad ass snake right there. I don't keep hots tho, I couldn't fuck wit it mayn. That shit's too risky for me. How long u been keepin hots?
@ coondog

A ball python will run you about 60ish for a CB (Captive Bred) Animal, the cheap ones are usually wild caught or captive hatched, (petco = CH or WC), With captive bred you usually dont have to worry about the animal carrying mites, ticks or internal parasites, If you get a baby ball python they can be a little nippy, and the bites do make you bleed, but being persistent and handling it often will tame it quickly, also feeding the snake outside the enclosure will lessen the likelyhood of it attacking your hand while reaching in for it. Ball pythons are a decent snake, they usually reach 3 feet in lenght, but can be very picky eaters, id recommend a corn snake, they are usually much cheaper, tamer, and much easier to care for, a baby will run you about 50$ for a nice morph, youre in the east bay i presume, so if you get a chance to hit berkely hit up East Bay Vivarium, they are some of the best folks in northen california on this shit, and usually have healthy animals. You can handle the snake too, and monthy costs for a Ball python are usually 15$ for Food and electricity used for the heating lamp. They can be housed on newspaper too lol so thats cheap/free bedding, a corn snake is about the same price per month, but id add about 4 more a month, and use Aspen shavings as its bedding

@ Jae Ill

W/e U ready to breed them, get @ me, i got some good tips, i was breeding albinos, Stripes, hets, and Fires. Also ive bred salmon,albino, and red group Red Tail boas, along with tons of corn snakes

Nov 7, 2002
Where do you buy them? I've never seen such a variety of colors of these guys.
Some are harder to find then others depends on where you live. You almost will never find one of these at a petco or petmart they only carry common's. You have to find a local small fish shop most carry at least a golden nugget. In the bay area they are a few shops that I know of that carry more exotic pleco a.k.a algae eaters not a lot of people know about how many different colors and breeds there are out there but theres a lot. If you want more info let me know.

Jun 27, 2003
@ coondog

A ball python will run you about 60ish for a CB (Captive Bred) Animal, the cheap ones are usually wild caught or captive hatched, (petco = CH or WC), With captive bred you usually dont have to worry about the animal carrying mites, ticks or internal parasites, If you get a baby ball python they can be a little nippy, and the bites do make you bleed, but being persistent and handling it often will tame it quickly, also feeding the snake outside the enclosure will lessen the likelyhood of it attacking your hand while reaching in for it. Ball pythons are a decent snake, they usually reach 3 feet in lenght, but can be very picky eaters, id recommend a corn snake, they are usually much cheaper, tamer, and much easier to care for, a baby will run you about 50$ for a nice morph, youre in the east bay i presume, so if you get a chance to hit berkely hit up East Bay Vivarium, they are some of the best folks in northen california on this shit, and usually have healthy animals. You can handle the snake too, and monthy costs for a Ball python are usually 15$ for Food and electricity used for the heating lamp. They can be housed on newspaper too lol so thats cheap/free bedding, a corn snake is about the same price per month, but id add about 4 more a month, and use Aspen shavings as its bedding

@ Jae Ill

W/e U ready to breed them, get @ me, i got some good tips, i was breeding albinos, Stripes, hets, and Fires. Also ive bred salmon,albino, and red group Red Tail boas, along with tons of corn snakes
fa sho koo shit. I got the spider and the mojave so first thing ima do is produce more of those and get me a pastel to make a bumblebee sell off that offspring and fucks wit it.

Yeah, the set up really depends on what you want tho. If you want a koo ass display tank with shit in the tank and bedding and all that you finna spend anywhere from 20-100 on a tank depending on where u get it. You want a tank 1/3 the length of the snake. I'm not sure how much the bedding is, but you can get that shit in bulk. With the tank you prolly finna want to get a heating lamp or under tank heat pad or both, get some thermos and a thermostat. You want a cool side of 80 and a hot side of 90 with humidity of 50 percent ish.
Or, you can get a rack system or just a tub for one snake, get the tubs at walmart for a few bucks, two hides for a dollar a water bowl for a dollar from the 99 cent store and then get some flexwat heat tape for a few bucks. I got a rack system and I use newspaper for the bedding, I just take out the old and put in new whenever the snakes shit or piss. Once a month I clean out the entire tub. Ball pythons are hella timid so you can take em out and handle em as long as u don't stress em out much, the blood pythons be a lil more aggressive tho. You gotta handle em a while before they get used to that shit.

Chree

Medicated
Dec 7, 2005
The undertank heating pads arent too good though, even with a dimmer on them, they can still crack the glass on your tank, or burn the snake, a heat lamp with a dimmer is much safer, and if you need a cheap ass setup, i still got hella ready to go lol

Dec 7, 2005
STEP YOUR GAME UP AND GET A SALTWATER SET UP

The Visualizer said:
Damn if you accidentally get stung by that fish, it's lights out
YEAH FOR THE FISH, MY BROTHER GOT STUNG BY HIS A COUPLE OF TIMES THE FIRST TIME THE FISH GOT SICK THE SECOND TIME IT WAS DEAD BY THE NEXT DAY

Jun 27, 2003
The undertank heating pads arent too good though, even with a dimmer on them, they can still crack the glass on your tank, or burn the snake, a heat lamp with a dimmer is much safer, and if you need a cheap ass setup, i still got hella ready to go lol
Yea, RBI plastics sells a real good pad tho. I didn't use a dimmer neither, I was using a thermostat. Now I just fuck wit the rack and flexwatt heat tape, shit works perfect.

May 7, 2002
Some are harder to find then others depends on where you live. You almost will never find one of these at a petco or petmart they only carry common's. You have to find a local small fish shop most carry at least a golden nugget. In the bay area they are a few shops that I know of that carry more exotic pleco a.k.a algae eaters not a lot of people know about how many different colors and breeds there are out there but theres a lot. If you want more info let me know.

Yea man, more info would be appreciated. Which local small fish shops do you go to?

Chree

Medicated
Dec 7, 2005
Amazon pets is bullshit too, best place that can get you whatever you need is East Bay vivarium

www.eastbayvivarium.com

Fuck with them over other pet stores, they are experts on their shit, and every employee also keeps reptiles personally, and have hands on experience

Nov 7, 2002
The another spot in san jose called kings aquarium, in castro valley connies, in hayward the pet club by kaiser carries some and the best one to me is in dublin Aquarium Concepts. They carry alot of pleco's and many other freshwater and saltwater fish its a big fish shop compared to most out there. Im sure there more but those are a few spots that I have went to. If you want to look up some pleco online here are a few sites to check out.

1. www.riverwonders.com
2. www.exoticfinds.net
3. www.plecofanatics.com - This has a large amount of pics and large forum all about pleco pretty cool if you really want to get into pleco for your freshwater tank.

May 7, 2002
The another spot in san jose called kings aquarium, in castro valley connies, in hayward the pet club by kaiser carries some and the best one to me is in dublin Aquarium Concepts. They carry alot of pleco's and many other freshwater and saltwater fish its a big fish shop compared to most out there. Im sure there more but those are a few spots that I have went to. If you want to look up some pleco online here are a few sites to check out.

1. www.riverwonders.com
2. www.exoticfinds.net
3. www.plecofanatics.com - This has a large amount of pics and large forum all about pleco pretty cool if you really want to get into pleco for your freshwater tank.
Thanks a lot bro! By the way, I noticed you said your tank was 46 gallons. And you have 4-6 plecos in there. I read up on them, and it says they can grow up to 12-18inches in length. However, I believe that depends on the size of your tank. They grow accordingly. The larger the tank, the larger they get, right? I only have a 20gallon tank with a few community goldfish and tiger barbs. What it be safe for me to purchase at least 2 plecos and not worry about them getting too big for the tank?

Nov 7, 2002
Well like it depends on the pleco your looking to get. Some are dwarfs and dont get much bigger then 4 to 6 inches. Other get well giant 16 to 18 inches but if you get two juvenile pleco's 2 inches or so it will take them a year or more for them to out grow your tank and places like Aquarium Concepts will buy pleco when they have out grown your tank. Go to this website and look into the size the pleco you are interested in getting will grow http://www.scotcat.com/loricarcommon.htm this is the site to learn about pleco's so much info and pictures. I hope i was a help if you have any other questions let me know.

May 7, 2002
Well like it depends on the pleco your looking to get. Some are dwarfs and dont get much bigger then 4 to 6 inches. Other get well giant 16 to 18 inches but if you get two juvenile pleco's 2 inches or so it will take them a year or more for them to out grow your tank and places like Aquarium Concepts will buy pleco when they have out grown your tank. Go to this website and look into the size the pleco you are interested in getting will grow http://www.scotcat.com/loricarcommon.htm this is the site to learn about pleco's so much info and pictures. I hope i was a help if you have any other questions let me know.
I will look into the link which you've provided and do some research! I had no idea I can sell them if they outgrow my tank. That's great news! Thanks a lot for all your help Impalas! Greatly appreciated!