Champ Bailey

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Mar 16, 2005
gimpypimp said:
I'm not saying he isn't a good corner...I'm just questioning how accurate those stats are.

If every stat is recorded...where are the stats for passes thrown on him and completions made? And who records it?

Jaws got that info from somewhere...so where is it?
the scwab

Aug 8, 2004
I got this info from a Denver Bronco fan website. Pretty close to the stats that were given during the game the other nite. and this was posted back in July, so no way these guys could have just heard it said and been repeating it.

Last year, Champ had 35 passes thrown his way the whole season.
21 were defensed.
10 were intercepted.
On his watch, 4 passes were caught against him the whole season. Last season, Champ had one of the most remarkable seasons of any cornerback I have ever seen, period. His tackles were almost exclusively in run support. His recovery speed is uncanny and his instincts for the game are superb. I watched a lot of Deion and a lot of what I saw was fantastic playmaking ability but as an overall cornerback I’d take Champ in his best years over Deion in his best years and I wouldnt second guess my decision.
This was also said, and may be an explanation of what we're talking about. But Im really not sure.

I am a HUGE champ Bailey fan, and I agree that he is better than Deion, but Im quite certain that you information is incorrect Adam W. There had to be many more than 35 passes his direction last season. I remember seeing a nubmer like 60 before. Maybe the 35 is just when he was man 2 man? Either way he played remarkably, especially considering that he played against many of the best WRs in the NFL. According to ESPNs KC Joyner he dominated in YPA against with something like 4.1, the lowest hes seen for a CB. He did not get burned at all last year and only once or twice the year before.
http://sports.outsidethebeltway.com/2007/06/champ-bailey-vs-deion-sanders/

Apr 25, 2002
REdRUM said:
LOL...Jerry Porter beating him 2-3 years ago was great. PERIOD.

That's like saying, NO ONE GIVES A FUCK WHEN SOME TEAM WON THE SUPERBOWL 12 YEARS AGO.
And that's pretty much what raider fans try to say when a Niner fan throws the 5 SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONSHIPS in their face. Why wouldn't it apply now? Especially when the subject of the thread is last year. Did Porter shit on Champ last year? Didn't think so.

Feb 15, 2007
T-Dubb said:
what part do you want explianed? is it how Barry Sanders ended Rod's Career at cornerback? Rod tried to tackle Barry in the open feild, Barry juked him, Rod reacted, blew his knee out......... move to saftey came next for Rod, no more cornerback
YES. AND THANK YOU.

Apr 25, 2002
gimpypimp said:
If every stat is recorded...where are the stats for passes thrown on him and completions made? And who records it?
I've seen the same stats displayed somewhere a few yers back.

They keep stats of everything. Sometimes the stats are hard to find.. But this particular one was clearly not just the announcer saying it, when they interviewed Champ himself he said "I still allowed 5 or 6 completions." The official number is 4.

I don't see why some of you can't handle it.

May 2, 2002
FATAL NYGHTMARE said:
I don't see why some of you can't handle it.
It's not a matter of "handling it"...if it's true...then it's true.

I would just like to see some sort of proof. If you want to believe something you hear on TV that's up to you.

Why would an official stat be so hard to find?

Aug 8, 2004
gimpypimp said:

I would just like to see some sort of proof. If you want to believe something you hear on TV that's up to you.

damn bro....How much more proof do you need. It was said by a commentator during the game, a commentator who is fed stats the entire time and studies football for a living. Champ said it himself after the game. I also posted links to 2 dif quotes taken from other sites saying the same exact thing. Yes, they were not "official" stats taken from NFL.Com, but dont you think it's kind of a coinsidence that many people would be saying the same exact thing? I really dont think people are out to hype this dude up that much that there would be a conspiracy to tell the public lies about what the dude did last season.

Aug 8, 2004
gimpypimp said:

damn bro....How much more proof do you need. It was said by a commentator during the game, a commentator who is fed stats the entire time and studies football for a living. Champ said it himself after the game. I also posted links to 2 dif quotes taken from other sites saying the same exact thing. Yes, they were not "official" stats taken from NFL.Com, but dont you think it's kind of a coinsidence that many people would be saying the same exact thing? I really dont think people are out to hype this dude up that much that there would be a conspiracy to tell the public lies about what the dude did last season.

Feb 15, 2007
gimpypimp said:
FIND OUT HOW MANY CRIPS DIED FROM A BULLET WHOLE TO THE HEAD IN CALIFORNIA... ITS AN EXAMPLE... IM SURE THEIR IS A STAT LIKE THAT OUT, BUT DO YOU REALLY THINK IT WILL BE EASY TO FIND...

May 2, 2002
antoniog831 said:
FIND OUT HOW MANY CRIPS DIED FROM A BULLET WHOLE TO THE HEAD IN CALIFORNIA... ITS AN EXAMPLE... IM SURE THEIR IS A STAT LIKE THAT OUT, BUT DO YOU REALLY THINK IT WILL BE EASY TO FIND...
That was fuckin' lame.....

May 2, 2002
Those links with the stats were meaningless. They didn’t answer how many throws were to the guy he was covering or how many catches were made. Feel free to show me if I missed it.

I don’t NEED anything…I’m not gonna lose sleep over it one way or another. I just see a bunch of people overly impressed with a couple of stats that may not even be true. And yes, I said overly impressed.

When you play against scrub Huard, Green coming back from being knocked out, Walter two times, Big Ben back from his accident, Frye in his first year starting, Rivers in his first year starting, Leinart in his first year, Smith finishing up his first full year…I mean…fine…he had a good season…I’m just not ready to annoint him the greatest of all time.

Apr 25, 2002
nice try Gimpy! here are some other qb's Champ faced last year........Manning, Brady, Bulger, Palmer, Hasselbeck, McNair

dont even try an say he didnt face the best of best

Mar 16, 2005
gimpypimp said:
Those links with the stats were meaningless. They didn’t answer how many throws were to the guy he was covering or how many catches were made. Feel free to show me if I missed it.

I don’t NEED anything…I’m not gonna lose sleep over it one way or another. I just see a bunch of people overly impressed with a couple of stats that may not even be true. And yes, I said overly impressed.

When you play against scrub Huard, Green coming back from being knocked out, Walter two times, Big Ben back from his accident, Frye in his first year starting, Rivers in his first year starting, Leinart in his first year, Smith finishing up his first full year…I mean…fine…he had a good season…I’m just not ready to annoint him the greatest of all time.

props to brees and mcnabb, but Bailey faced 4 of the top qb's in the league last year...Manning, Brady, Palmer, Bulger

Aug 12, 2002
www.veronicamoser.com
FATAL NYGHTMARE said:
And that's pretty much what raider fans try to say when a Niner fan throws the 5 SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONSHIPS in their face. Why wouldn't it apply now? Especially when the subject of the thread is last year. Did Porter shit on Champ last year? Didn't think so.
Read between the lines; that's what I was going with.

Porter over Bailey...a single game a few years ago.

Niners as champs. Years ago.

Same thing...

So why is one ok and the other not?

Go figure.

Either way...it's all irrelevent. THIS season is what counts. The topic at hand, if true, is remarkable. All DB's have off days...as do recievers.

Career wise: Porter < Bailey.

May 2, 2002
T-Dubb said:
nice try Gimpy! here are some other qb's Champ faced last year........Manning, Brady, Bulger, Palmer, Hasselbeck, McNair

dont even try an say he didnt face the best of best
I'm not even trying.

I don&#8217;t see your point though. That&#8217;s 5 or 6 QB&#8217;s out of 16 games.

And I could say he faced Bulger in the first game of his new offense, and McNair in his first season with the Ravens and a new offense (if you want to even call that on offense).

So I'll give you one game against Manning, one against Brady, one against Palmer, and one against Hasselback.

Wow...hall of fame here we come!

Jan 4, 2006
FATAL NYGHTMARE said:
what the fuck does this have to do with the niners or superbowls. i was merely reminiscing about Jerry Porter having the game of his career (so far) against the best corner in the league. i have that game on tape, think i will watch it tonight.

Apr 25, 2002
REdRUM said:
Read between the lines; that's what I was going with.

Porter over Bailey...a single game a few years ago.

Niners as champs. Years ago.

Same thing...

So why is one ok and the other not?

Go figure.
First of all, Jerry Porter having a good day beating the best CB in the game is nothing like San Francisco winning 5 Championships.

Second, your fellow raider fans are the ones who always whine about things being "in the past," but I guess that only applies with things not pertaining to the Oakland raiders.

Third, I don't think either one is OK if the other isn't. My point was this thread is about Champ's performance LAST YEAR, not 2 or 3 years ago when Jerry Porter had a good day. It just seems like you guys wanna discredit the man by bringing up old shit that makes him look bad. I know that was probably not your intention (I can't say the same for a few others), but that's just what it seems like.

Here's the thing.. I wouldn't go into a thread about the Colts' Championship last year and start talking about how the Niners beat their asses years ago. THAT is the same type of scenario.