2013 Oakland A's Thread...

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Mar 8, 2008
2 out of 3 from the Yankees I'll take it even tho it was close and half their roster is injured.. a win is a win.

Parker... smh.
cespedes solo HR was nice.
fucken Reddick we need to send him down .143???!! really?? wtf??

Jan 18, 2006
Reddick to has to good of a natural swing to be struggling like this. Im still wondering if he feels the effects of running into the wall like a month ago.

Mar 8, 2008
I think it was more of what happened last season.. how well he and everyone else did, then he struggles and it became a mental thing kind of like what Jemile Weeks went thru.. I hope he doesn't take it to the degree Weeks took it tho..

REACHTMO

panty vandalizer
Aug 7, 2011
He needs to improve and fix things in practice, and not think during his at bats. I always watch reddick pull his head taking big cuts, and when he gets hits, he keeps his head down.

watch the ball hit the bat, a fundamental thing that should be going through his head instead of how/where hes gonna hit the ball.

REACHTMO

panty vandalizer
Aug 7, 2011
So the news is in. Since reddick is gonna be missing a few games to his wrist being tweaked, the a's called up barton once again

Now, this guy can play some first base, theres no doubting that. But he cant hit major league pitchers. Billy beane must have a hard on for this guy, cause this seems to happen every year

Feb 23, 2003
Fresno, CALIF.
So the news is in. Since reddick is gonna be missing a few games to his wrist being tweaked, the a's called up barton once again

Now, this guy can play some first base, theres no doubting that. But he cant hit major league pitchers. Billy beane must have a hard on for this guy, cause this seems to happen every year
agree about daric barton, i just read that RedDick was put on 15day DL yesterday. i hope he can stay healthy the next few years along with Yoenis. We gotta sign that guy 4 life.

REACHTMO

panty vandalizer
Aug 7, 2011
whole series has had terrible fuckin calls. MLB needs to fire that whole crew.

the day before yesterday they made a terrible call where sogard clearly tagged a dude, who then stepped onto the fucking grass(obviously out of the base line) and they called him safe... they need to be umping fucking little league

Mar 8, 2008
Cespedes leaves A's game with
stomach illness

May 13, 2013, 8:45 pm
JOE STIGLICH

OAKLAND – A’s center fielder Yoenis Cespedes left Monday night’s game before the top of the fifth with a stomach illness, according to the team.

Cespedes homered in the third inning, the front of back-to-back long balls from him and Brandon Moss that staked the A’s to a 4-1 lead over the Texas Rangers.

Before the fifth, Cespedes trotted out to his position but then retreated to the dugout before the inning began. Moss shifted from right to center and Michael Taylor entered in right field.

Mar 8, 2008
A’s activate Coco Crisp from the disabled list

Aaron Gleeman May 15, 2013, 12:48 PM EDT

Coco Crisp is off the disabled list and back in the A’s lineup for today’s game after missing the past two weeks with a hamstring injury.
Crisp returned in the minimum 15 days and does so without going on a minor-league rehab assignment first, so he must be feeling pretty good. He’ll resume leading off and starting in center field, which is a nice boost to a banged-up A’s outfield.
Crisp, who’s been on the DL four times in four seasons with Oakland, was off to a great start before the injury while hitting .283 with five homers, 10 doubles, and a .943 OPS in 24 games.

Props: REACHTMO
Mar 8, 2008
A's Céspedes gets Hall of Fame advice

Rickey Henderson, Oakland Tech High, 1976: Baseball Hall of Famer, Oakland A's. (Frederic Larson / The Chronicle)

Susan Slusser

May 16, 2013

Yoenis Céspedes has overslid the bag at second base several times this year and hurt his left hand with an awkward, rolling slide last month. So Hall of Famer Rickey Henderson is in town to work with Céspedes on his sliding.

Henderson said Wednesday that the best way to prevent oversliding is to count the steps to the bag and to know how many are left every time. That's sheer practice, Henderson said.

"He doesn't realize how fast he is, and doesn't recognize it until it's too late," Henderson said. "Céspedes has got to work on when to slide. Sometimes, you're just thinking about trying to get there, but you also have to figure out how many steps it is."

Henderson also has advice to keep Céspedes from injuring his hands.

"He's got a little bit of bad technique, bracing himself with his hands," Henderson said. "That puts a lot of pressure on the hands, keeps them too stiff and he can jam the hand or wrists. I told him to put something in his hands, grab some dirt, throw it up in the air when he gets there."

Céspedes has benefited from Henderson's input before: Last year, when Céspedes was struggling with moving from center to left field, Henderson helped him with the transition.

Henderson just did a tour of the A's minor leagues and he remains impressed with 19-year-old Class A Stockton shortstop Addison Russell.

"He's like Céspedes - he's special," Henderson said. "He knows what he's doing. He's got the instincts, the comfort level and he's not afraid of anything."

Draft watch: Brandon Moss is keeping a close eye on this year's draft because his friend Clint Frazier, an outfielder/third baseman from Moss' hometown of Loganville, Ga., is expected to be a high pick. Frazier, a senior at Loganville High, hits with Moss in the winter.

"He's tremendous," Moss said. "When he was in eighth grade, he could beat me in a home-run derby with a wooden bat. I'm not kidding."

A'S LEADING OFF

International relations: Closer Grant Balfour has an American wife, two American daughters - and now he is a U.S. citizen after ceremonies when the A's were at Tampa Bay last month. But fear not, Aussies - the Ragin' Australian will keep dual citizenship.

- Susan Slusser