Wrestling Random Thought 2

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Dec 4, 2004
Isn't that better I guess its gonna be kinda like Netflix?
It is better

If they tried to go the cable/satellite channel route, it probably would take way longer and not be available in everyone's area.

If you have a PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, smartphone, or computer you will be able to watch.

Supposedly there will be an actual live network feed, and also on demand within the app.

Props: erry and erry
Jan 18, 2006
If i already didnt watch the ppv's on streams it would actually be a great deal cuz with ur subscription u can watch the ppv's also i believe

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
WWE is probably realizing they can capitalize off of an internet network with so many people bootlegging their PPV events from live streams. I can see alot of people paying for this service for high quality PPV streams and access to tons of old matches.

Dec 4, 2004
WWE is probably realizing they can capitalize off of an internet network with so many people bootlegging their PPV events from live streams. I can see alot of people paying for this service for high quality PPV streams and access to tons of old matches.
Exactly....at such a low cost per month it's worth it. Even if there is a bootleg site out there that has some of the same shit from the network, it won't be as fast, and have pop ups and all that crap. For such a cheap monthly price I think it will be worth it to subscribe and get everything from one single source.

While I don't even like half the stuff that happens on today's WWE, I'm curious to check out all the other shows and watch old PPVs from their library. The only 2 PPVs I still pay for are Royal Rumble and Wrestlemania, so signing up for the 6 month commitment works for me.

Nov 24, 2003
Not interested... I'm not gonna pay some shit that i can see for free on youtube, dailymotion, Torrent sites etc.

And i'm sure they will edit a lot of shit like someone saying "WWF", the old logo already blurred on re-airings, Chris Benoit..

Rasan

Producer
May 17, 2002
Chula Vista, South Bay, San Diego, California
Not interested... I'm not gonna pay some shit that i can see for free on youtube, dailymotion, Torrent sites etc.

And i'm sure they will edit a lot of shit like someone saying "WWF", the old logo already blurred on re-airings, Chris Benoit..
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/01/09/wwe-network_n_4565607.html

More than 1,500 hours of archived programming, that includes the WCW and ECW video libraries, will air uncut and uncensored, so references to the World Wrestling Federation, old logos, or matches involving former wrestler Chris Benoit or former announcer Jesse Ventura will no longer be scrubbed from history.

Jan 18, 2006
I was watching the scrambled version of it lol. Couldnt really see what was going on but could hear. Even my Uncle called from New York right when it happened cuz he had a black box and i guess hes watching it. He use to tape a lot of ppvs for me but not that one

May 25, 2005
^^yup scrambled as well...when they announced it i actually choked up a bit..i was a few weeks away from turning 15...he was always one of my favs, had the king of hearts t-shirt and shit haha...i remember running out to tell my dad and he said the same shit, you watch these guys for years and when you actually like them, its a bit like losing someone you know...fucked up...

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
maybe if there is a good enough turnout of fans viewing their old stuff maybe wwe with revamp its current watered down crappy programming into a show that I might like to watch again.

Rasan

Producer
May 17, 2002
WWE Network 'devalues' product, UFC will not follow suit | FOX Sports on MSN

Just days after the UFC rolled out its new digital online network called Fight Pass, World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE) did the very same thing with a new service of its own called WWE Network.

The version by WWE will cost the same as Fight Pass ($9.99 per month), launching on Feb. 24 in the United States and several other countries. The service, however, is very different from the version offered by the UFC.

The WWE Network will feature all of the past matches from the promotion including all of the pay-per-view offerings over the years, several original shows as well as the biggest part of the new service: Every WWE pay-per-view will be included at no additional cost. Of course as soon as the service was announced, the UFC was approached by just about everybody to ask if it would follow suit and do the same thing.

UFC president Dana White shot down the very idea of giving up the pay-per-view business for $9.99 per month, but he says if it works for Vince McMahon, then let him swim in the money.

"It's ridiculous. I hate to sound like I'm attacking the WWE or (I) devalue what they did because Vince McMahon, say whatever you want -- and he's always smashing us and talking s—t about us, but I will tell you this, I was watching WWE I was a little kid and Vince was the commentator in WWE -- this guy has been kicking ass, breaking rules and doing things that people said he couldn’t do over and over and over again. Now I'm older I don't get the whole thing, it doesn't work for me, but what he's able to do, the ratings he's able to pull and the things he's done ... And when I look at his model and he's basically taking everything in and devalued it. Saying everything we do is worth $10. That doesn't make sense to me," White said during a media luncheon on Monday.

“If he pulls in 2 million subscribers, he's crushing it. So it's a risky move, it's a crazy move, but Vince has been doing risky, crazy s—t since the beginning of time. If anybody can do it, maybe Vince can do it.”

- Dana White

"If he pulls in 2 million subscribers, he's crushing it. So it's a risky move, it's a crazy move, but Vince has been doing risky, crazy s—t since the beginning of time. If anybody can do it, maybe Vince can do it."

Some have argued that the WWE's move may impact the UFC either negatively or positively depending on how the new service is received. One argument says that the WWE changing its format to a price point where fans can watch every pay-per-view out there for only $9.99 a month would somehow make people less apt to pay $50 to watch a UFC show. The other side of the argument could be the WWE exiting the pay-per-view model in many ways opens up doors for fans to instead spend their money on the UFC.

White doesn't actually agree with either version because he doesn't believe WWE fans cross over with UFC fans all that often. The only time he saw that kind of business influx is when Brock Lesnar was part of the UFC, but outside of that the two types of fans are typically different.

"I've always thought that we don't correlate with WWE. You're more inclined to be a boxing and UFC fan than a boxing, UFC and wrestling fan. Because wrestling is fake, it's scripted, it's completely different," White said.

"We had a ton of WWE crossover when Brock was here."

The numbers may contradict White given the WWE's target audience of 18- to 34-year-old males with the same demographic typically filling UFC arenas and buying pay-per-views. Regardless, White isn't sweating the WWE's business plan for now.

Only after Feb. 24 when the service launches will anyone know if McMahon is crazy smart or just crazy. White's pretty sure he already knows the answer.

"Vince is 70-something years old. Listen, all the respect in the world to the guy, he's done great stuff, but he's a maniac, he's a legitimate maniac," White said on "The Arsenio Hall Show". "He literally calls me one day and says 'Hey what about you and I fight', he's like 'We can fight in the UFC or we can wrestle in the WWE, either way.' I'm like, 'You're a maniac.'"

Dec 4, 2004
I don't think it devaluates the product. and if it does, Pandora/Spotify/etc has already devaluated music, and Netflix/Amazon Prime/Hulu have devaluates movies/TV shows. For the price of one CD or one movie a month you get this big pool of music/movies.

So WWE is not devaluating themselves, they are getting on board with the new business model of delivering content. The big surprise to me was making Wrestlemania part of it though...I thought they would make you pay separately for the big 2-4 main PPVs. But if you think about it you can just sign up to see Wrestlemania only, you pay $60 for the 6 months, instead of $60 for WM only. WWE makes their money for it up front.

Rasan

Producer
May 17, 2002
WWE Network: Latest Rumors and News Surrounding Network's Launch for Feb. 20 | Bleacher Report

WWE Network: Latest Rumors and News Surrounding Network's Launch for Feb. 20

By Ryan Dilbert , Featured Columnist
Feb 20, 2014

The battle between the WWE and DISH Network muffled all the other WWE Network news this week.

It's hard to hear word on match editing and the programming lineup when a pay-per-view provider starts blowing on the war horn before the Network even launches. While DIRECTV simply said it would have to "rethink its relationship with the programmer," per the Los Angeles Times, DISH is refusing to carry WWE pay-per-views any longer.

There was initially some confusion about whether fans could watch Elimination Chamber 2014 on DISH Network. The questions began when fans realized the WWE show was not appearing on the list of events to order.

Fans told WrestlingInc.com that they received different responses to questions about the pay-per-view's availability.

One DISH representative reportedly said they "were working on it," another said the event would be available and another said "the only event available this Sunday is the UFC 170 replay."

The confusion is now over. DISH is refusing to carry Elimination Chamber in response to WWE putting their future pay-per-views on the new streaming service.

Zap2It reports that DISH issued the following statement to them:

“
WWE has chosen to launch a 24/7 online network, without its TV partners, that includes all of its pay-per-view events. As WWE enters the increasingly fragmented media world by themselves, DISH will continue to consider the value of WWE pay-per-view on an event by event basis.

DISH continues to provide a variety of WWE programming, including 'WWE Raw' on USA, 'WWE SmackDown on Syfy, 'WWE Main Event' on Ion and 'WWE Total Divas" on E!. At this time, WWE pay-per-view events are not available on DISH.
”
Even as legal-sounding as this is, there's a tinge of bitterness to it. It's as if DISH is implying that the world outside of cable providers, or as they put it "the increasingly fragmented media world" is dangerous.

WWE posted the following official statement, per F4WOnline:

“
WWE is pleased that the majority of our cable and satellite Pay-Per-View distributors are giving our fans an option to purchase traditional Pay-Per-Views as we prepare to launch WWE Network on Monday, February 24. Unfortunately, DISH will not be doing so. We hope DISH will reconsider for this Sunday's Elimination Chamber Pay-Per-View event and especially for WrestleMania 30.
”
The strange thing about DISH pulling Elimination Chamber is that it airs one night before the WWE Network launches. Why not wait until WrestleMania XXX, the first pay-per-view event to be shown on the Network?

While the other cable companies are sticking it out with WWE for now, this news provides a touch of ominousness to the launch.

Will other cable companies follow DISH's lead? Will high volumes of subscribers to the new service be able to combat that loss?

Non-DISH Network News

For those wondering if more than one person can watch the WWE Network at once on the same account, the answer is yes. F4WOnline, via WrestlingInc.com, reported, "a WWE representative told one reader that they will allow 2 viewers at a time, per account."

Will those viewers get to see chair shots to the head, though?

As much as the WWE Network has promised to stay true to the company's non-PG past, there's evidence that perhaps violent collisions of head and steel will be taken out.

James Caldwell of PWTorch writes, "WWE has begun the process of editing out chair shots to the head on archived match footage." Caldwell points out the following heavily edited video as proof.

However, this may just be edited because it is on YouTube rather than the WWE Network. WWE can provide a disclaimer about head shots before any programming that includes it.

Going the jerky editing route is just going to upset fans who subscribe to the service mostly to watch older clips.

Programming Notes

The WWE Network is soon going to be the only place to watch NXT.

Wrestling Observer, via WrestlingInc.com, provides some insight into why that is happening, writing, "WWE was interested in bringing NXT to broadcast TV this past September but apparently there was no interest from networks."

The show will now be a WWE Network exclusive, adding to the value of the service. NXT is currently on Hulu with its newest episodes first showing up on Hulu Plus, which requires a monthly fee.

Moving the show to the WWE Network crams more of the company's offerings into a single spot.

As to what else will be available for viewing, WWE.com listed a full lineup of programs. Fans have already heard of much of these, but a few others are worth getting excited about.

Some of the most intriguing options include Best of Raw, Best of SmackDown, a one-hour behind-the-scenes special called This is NXT and Beyond the Ring, which is described as an "all-access pass to the fast-paced action of WWE's home video library."

Add all that to the massive archive and every new pay-per-view from WrestleMania XXX on and it's easy to see why NFL quarterback Robert Griffin III is stoked about the launch.

Don't expect DISH Network to send out any tweets like these. They have decided to snub Vince McMahon and Co., preemptively rejecting the WWE Network.