Will These Players Ever Make It Into The Pro Football HOF?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

Tony

Sicc OG
May 15, 2002
Are you telling me if Portis was on the super bowl teams he wouldnt have been as good as td?????
The answer to that question is yes! Portis would not have been as good as TD was. TD was a very, very hard runner and a tough dude to bring down. Portis is a good running back but he couldn't have done what TD done.

May 30, 2006
Terrell just ran for 2,000 yards the season before he blew his knee out. Tell me what running back completely blew his knee out and then came back looking the same.... Knee injuries like that are career killers for running backs.
Jamal Lewis!!! Blew his knee...Came back the next year and ran for 1,300 yards...Year after that ran for 2,000 yards so actually he came back better then ever.

Mar 16, 2005
The answer to that question is yes! Portis would not have been as good as TD was. TD was a very, very hard runner and a tough dude to bring down. Portis is a good running back but he couldn't have done what TD done.

portis had just as good numbers on a worse overall team.... he woul dhave been better than TD if he was on the same teams.

May 30, 2006
Well if it was the system, then why didn't any of those other running backs run for 2,000 yards behind that o-line? Why didn't any of those other running backs win any kind of MVP award? Or why didn't they win a SuperBowl, since it was the system....
1. Because none of those other backs had John Elway

2. None of those other backs were the sole featured back for more then 2 years....After about a year or two they were discarded or sharing the work load so they never got the chance TD got.

3. TD won that MVP award in his 4th year....No other Denver runner even got a 4 year run as the featured back w/o sharing the carries with another back on the team.

4. When I say it was the system I meant the running system...Like I said before none of those teams the other backs played on had Elway which would of made the biggest difference.

Its like this...W/o Elway TD doesn't even get to a SB and w/o TD Elway doesn't win one.

MR. CLEEN

CEO/Producer of E&K Music Group
Apr 25, 2002
Yall puttin way too much on the system. How many of the runners that came out of that system had more than 1 to 2 good seasons in that same system or anywhere else for that matter? Keep it real. Alot of those runners prospered due to being unknown commodities where there was no real scouting avaliable on them, plus the O Lines must've had some talent in order to get those holes open. Shit by the next year once there was tape on most of those runners, defenses were able to game plan around them, and shut their asses down. You can't say the same thing for Davis. Davis was no fluke my friends. Portis was no Davis so why you would even mention him in this discussion makes no sense. Portis was a solid back, but far from a great one. Davis should be mentioned as a great back, but won't be due injuries.

Mar 16, 2005
Yall puttin way too much on the system. How many of the runners that came out of that system had more than 1 to 2 good seasons in that same system or anywhere else for that matter? Keep it real. Alot of those runners prospered due to being unknown commodities where there was no real scouting avaliable on them. Shit by the next year once there was tape on most of those runners, defenses were able to game plan around them, and shut their asses down. You can't say the same thing for Davis. Davis was no fluke my friends. Portis was no Davis so why you would even mention him in this discussion makes no sense. Portis was a solid back, but far from a great one. Davis should be mentioned as a great back, but won't be due injuries.
we traded them all or various other circumstances!!!!!

tatum bell we traded as part of the bly trade, portis was traded as part of the bailey trade, mike bell was suspened droughns and gary moved on after contracts up. so we traded portis and tatum and got way more value in return, why pay for droughns and gary when we knew others would fill same void for cheaper? mike bell was toking up and got caught.

sounds like broncos sold high and bought low...just what you want in a team ownership
so hmmmmmmmm

MR. CLEEN

Apr 25, 2002
@ Evil Genius... Most great backs had solid QBs. This was more of a discussion about TD's greatness being ignored. But honestly, all QBs prosper because of a good runner (most of the time) Aikman had Smith, Montana had Craig, Kelly had Thurman, Young had Watters, McNair had George etc etc... Elway had Davis in his waning years.

MR. CLEEN

Apr 25, 2002
@ thaScary1: Not only that, Shannahan knew none of those backs were worth the money a team was willing to pay for them. All of them were band aids who could do no more than the one before them. None of them made the team better. If he thought Davis was in the same category he wouldn't have been a consistent starter up til his injury.

Tony

Sicc OG
May 15, 2002
Exactly.... he would have never even thought of trading Davis. He stuck with Davis, even after Davis was hurt. That's why he retired as a Bronco.

May 30, 2006
Yall puttin way too much on the system. How many of the runners that came out of that system had more than 1 to 2 good seasons in that same system or anywhere else for that matter? .
Look at some of my previous post and I get into that.

Alot of those runners prospered due to being unknown commodities where there was no real scouting avaliable on them, .
Mike Anderson-Utah

Tatum Bell-Oklahoma State

Quintin Griffen-Oklahoma

Mike Bell-Arizona

Clinton Portis-Miami(had just came off winning a national championship)

Olandis gary-Georgia

U trying to tell me there wasn't no real scouting available for these starting backs on D1 schools?

Hell even Rueben Droughns and Ron Dayne lloked like beast in that system and they couldn't do shit on the field prior to going to Denver and playing in that system

Shit by the next year once there was tape on most of those runners, defenses were able to game plan around them, and shut their asses down. .
Not really homie...Those baks played very good after their first seasons but roles were just limited cuz they had such a deep backfield Shanahan didn't see a point in just throwing in one back when all of them were doing prtty much the same shit...kepp those legs fresh.

Portis was no Davis so why you would even mention him in this discussion makes no sense. Portis was a solid back, but far from a great one. Davis should be mentioned as a great back, but won't be due injuries.
Portis was super raw in his 2 years in denver and actually had better numbers then Davis when u compare their numbers in Denver the fboth their first 2 seasons in the league....I liked Davis alot so I'm not shitting on him...Shanhan traded for Champ Bailey cuz Portis demanded more money after his rookie season cuz he had a monter season and demanded a new contract again after hsi second season...Instead of giving Portis the money Shanahan traded him cuz he knew his running game was gonna be A1 no matterwho had back there in the backfield as far as he was concerned cuz it had already been proven....Portis just happened to be that Denver back that went to another team and stayed super tight and the others didn't.

MR. CLEEN

Apr 25, 2002
The had a great relationship because he exceeded what was expected. Shit you'd have a great relationship with him too if you were Mike. Mike knows great backs don't fall into your hands but a few times.

MR. CLEEN

Apr 25, 2002
And College tape doesn't always tell the true story. I know where all those backs come from so of course they weren't slouches but they weren't great. Especially Portis. He came from a high profile school and was expected to be the man where Davis came in as a 6th rounder and blew the doors off the hinges. no comparison. Portis = 1st Rounder expected to be great, Davis = 6th Rounder not even expected to make the team except maybe as a back up.

MR. CLEEN

Apr 25, 2002
Also one key yall not talkin about is the altitude yall play in. The Broncos practice, condition and play in that high altitude where the opposing team is at a disadvantage. Any back playing in a game on a field where they are used to the conditions should do well regardless of the system. Still doesn't make them great. Davis skills seperate any and all the backs you mentioned.

May 9, 2002
And College tape doesn't always tell the true story. I know where all those backs come from so of course they weren't slouches but they weren't great. Especially Portis. He came from a high profile school and was expected to be the man where Davis came in as a 6th rounder and blew the doors off the hinges. no comparison. Portis = 1st Rounder expected to be great, Davis = 6th Rounder not even expected to make the team except maybe as a back up.
And yet they both THRIVED in the same NFL offense...what does that tell you?

Thats the whole POINT of this debate.

Its well documented that the Broncos running scheme has created backs out of thin air.

May 30, 2006
I'm not talking about College tapes....Ur saying no real scouting was available to them as if they played in the Sun Belt conference or for a Black Historic D2 skool.

Especially Portis? He was actually thr best one out the bunch for obvious reasons.....He also wasn't a first round pick but a second rounder.....And they didn't expect him to be the man cuz Gary, Davis and Anderson were already there and Portis also was third on the dept chart coming in so what arr u even talking about "expected to be yhe man?" He showed flashes of being a great back in preseason and Davis and Gary got injured early and Anderson was getting reps at fullback and Portis was pushed into the starting line up.

No one expected Portis to do whar he did......Another fun fact....The day of the draft Shanahan called Niners coach Mariucci and congradulated him on selecting the best back in the draft.....That year Frisco selected the weak ass nigga from Pitt, I forget his name but he had a lil hype behind him but turned out to be a bust.....So there is another reason why Denver wasn't high on Portis like u think.

If Maurice Clarret stayed in skool all three years and played and got slected by Denver like he did he would of put up Davis/Portis numbers too.

May 30, 2006
Also one key yall not talkin about is the altitude yall play in. The Broncos practice, condition and play in that high altitude where the opposing team is at a disadvantage. Any back playing in a game on a field where they are used to the conditions should do well regardless of the system. Still doesn't make them great. Davis skills seperate any and all the backs you mentioned.
If that was the case their running game would of only been terrific at home....Them niggaz got busy on the road too.

Mar 24, 2006
lol@ you two arguing with scary about the team he has followed all his life. I think its safe to say he has a bit more knowledge about them then you guys do and knows what hes talking about.

TD was a beast like you said...that we all know. What you guys don't understand is that it wasn't all HIM that got them 2 superbowl wins. Denver had everything going for them in those 2 years..they were an overall great team with a great HC and GREAT system for running backs to flourish in. Me being a Chiefs fan like I am, I seen that team firsthand bitch slap other teams unmercifully like it wasn't shit those 2 years.

Elway needed TD, TD needed Elway, Elway needed that Oline, TD needed that OLine, Elway needed that offensive system, TD needed that offensive system....etc. etc. etc.

It wasn't just TD that won those bowls.