Who is the most legendary rapper from the Midwest?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

L.D.S.

The Bakersman
Aug 14, 2006
Mizzourah
Growing up in the South and slowly branching musically toward the Midwest, Bone Thug's, Twista, and MC Breed were legendary to me. They shook the foundation of the rap music I was accustomed to hearing.

They are legends because they've been to the top, back to the bottom, and settled somewhere in the middle.

May 3, 2002
There are Legends for different reasons

There would not be a lot of rap (some shouldnt have surfaced *cough* ICP *cough*) but he started a big wave with his horrorcore raps and released a lot of classic material at RLP

Bone-They changed the game in a lot of aspects and made the twisiting style mainstream and everyone loved it

MC Breed-Aint no future in yo fronting nuff said

Legendary Traxter-He created the chicago sound

Sep 16, 2002
www.2coldgraphiks.com
Nobody in the Midwest has had a bigger impact on the region than Twista & Bone.

Honorable mentions would go to Eminem, The Dayton Family, Top Authority (all of these dudes names are mentioned often when Midwest artist speak of who they are influenced by)

Also gotta mention Nelly. When Bone and Twista were gettin recognized they only repped for there cities but Nelly was the 1st to really rep the Midwest region as a whole nationwide and put the region on the map. I've been livin in the South for 9 years now, and before Nelly came out Southerns always lumped Twista and Bone w/ the East Coast because they never recognized that there is a region between the East and West coasts before Nelly.

May 2, 2002
I may spark a debate but I still think Rich is LEGENDARY!
You knew it was comin'....

Again, I ask HOW is Rich a "legend"? Yes, he's released a shitload of cds and he's been in the game since '94, but not even those factors makes him a "legend".

He's one helluva businessman/entrepreneur, I'll give him that. Let's say, for the sake of argument, that Rich hadn't hooked up with JT the Bigga Figga. Would he be as big as he is in the town?

This may or may not be the general consensus, but from what I read on this site, it seems like Rich RECYCLES material quite a bit. Don't see how that would fit into his "legendary" status.

cali1

Sicc OG
Feb 5, 2006
Psychodrama
Do or Die
EC Illa
Company Flow
Crucial Conflict
Rhymefest
Kanye West
Mutt Dogg
Trick Trick
Top Authority
M.A.G.
L.E.P.
D.B.G'z
Fat Tone

May 1, 2009
Heres is mt list of my Midwest legends. I couldnt just pick one.

Eminem-Biggest named rapper sold the most.

Bone Thugs-started a whole new style/way of rapping.

Tech N9ne-Probably hardest workin rapper with all the non stop touring and a master of the music business with being the number one independent rapper.
(Not because I'm a fan)

Esham-Started a new genre in rap/hiphop. (Horrorcore/Wicked Shit).

Dayton Family- Took hardcore rap and gangsta rap to the next level.

May 9, 2002
Bone Thugs-started a whole new style/way of rapping.
Im sure the entire Memphis rap scene would have something to say about that.

Someone needs to have a pure definition of "legend", as I still dont think people are quite grasping it.

Eminem has only been in the game nationally for about what, 12 years? Breed has been a known name since the late 80's. He had a hit commercial song on the radio back in 1992 and brought the midwest scene to the forefront and paved the way for many artists...INCLUDING Eminem.

BTNH was out on by the most famous West Coast artist possibly EVER in Eazy-E. Had he not found them, would they ahve gotten the fame they did? Maybe not.

Esham is an underground LEGEND, as much as I think he blows ass as an MC. He has been around FOREVER and has dropped over 20 albums. He made it cool to be "wicked".

Tech N9ne is in the same boat as Esham, but he was 10 years later and is one of the most talented artists that will NEVER see mainstream success like he might deserve.

The Dayton Family has NEVER had any commercial success, but they are a well respected group that has been around since the early 90's.

Twista really brought something different to the table and has been going strong for over 15 years now, gaining national fame as he got deeper into his career. He really stands out with his style and people actually except it, which is a HUGE success.

Anyone else is really moot. Those are the ones to be considered legends IMO.