who do you guys blame more for the decline of bay hip-hop or hip-hop in general?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

shame

Sicc OG
Aug 1, 2004
....the artists or the fans?....

Just curious cause I see people mentioning both sides all the time..

Alot of folks blame the artists for making wack music, which in some cases I agree with....but at the same time alot of so called hip-hop fans remind me more of groupie boy-band pop fans from 10 years ago then the real solid foundation of the culture that they were in the 80's and 90's....

It's seems like alot of artists fake the funk because they think thats whats nessesary to sell records...but then again alot of fans complain that some of thier favorite artists dont stick with the formula that got them fans in the first place....thus they dont buy the records.

Its like a weird catch 22....What Ive noticed, for the most part, myself is that alot of people have become pop-culture followers...meaning that anything corporate america deems "popular" and "cool" wether its MTV ,BET, E-channel ect. ect. ....is what most folks latch onto...materialism and "fake it til ya make it" is the new trend...rather than "keep it real"....

I guess being a fan/artist myself, what makes me the most sick is that there just isnt a code in the culture any more....its almost like people have gotten together and said.."hey we all know were being fake so no need ta rock the boat and call eachother out..lets just get this money"...lol... or if cats do call each other out its just ta boost thier popularity as a stunt rather then just airing shit out man to man like normal...

Not just to be negative, I do see alot of creativity starting to spring up as well (not really in the Bay)...but there is some positive things happening as well.....

Jan 18, 2006
I agree with both your posts Young Nutt. A lot of the mainstream shit from the South is trash, theres only a couple artists that I can really slap in ride and TI and Lil Wayne arent either of them. One of the biggest problems to me with rap right now is the simple ass songs and abc rappers.

Jan 6, 2008
www.youtube.com
I agree with both your posts Young Nutt. A lot of the mainstream shit from the South is trash, theres only a couple artists that I can really slap in ride and TI and Lil Wayne arent either of them. One of the biggest problems to me with rap right now is the simple ass songs and abc rappers.
the majority of people that actually buy cds, dont give a fuck what the lyrics say, let alone if theyre dope or not...so its gotta be simple and catchy

YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

jr916

Sicc OG
Jun 3, 2006
Can't forget the programs that made it way too easy for any no-talent asshole to be a "rapper" or a "producer".
for real...goddamn muthafucka you aint got a 9-5 you waitin til dr dre hears your fruity loop demo..cant tell em nuthin either...

Mar 1, 2007
that sig is dope...looks like back to the future...in reverse...but relly blame the napster kid for makin that shit happen...if there was never a napster where would hip hop...actually where would music in general b...fans too...not all but alot...EX:"guy 1" will say "song a" is wack...say "rapper a" is wack...then they hear "guy 2" say"yo that "song a" by "rapper a" is slappin...n BOOM track number 3 on "guy 1's" burnt mix is "song a" by "rapper a"...ppl eat up other ppls criteria...n it seems to b contagious...ive been on here a few times n herd sum tracks...sick tracks... were ppl b like "shit is wack"...n rite below it r the 12 apostles followin... bandwagons been around for yrs...ppl need to relly jus stop givin a fuck so much about 'the bay needs to blow up!'...trust me thatd b sick...but listen to the music...the bay is og on shit...jus cuz they dont make radio friendly songs dont mean they aint got good music...but being a fan n puttin that burden on a artist to blow up is askin alot...especially a whole region...n i do c alot of these types of fans that r always complaining about either the beat, or the quality, or the verse, or the feautures...then try to give some advice like"they should get some songs wit "mainstream rapper/producer A"...b glad that they r puttin the material out...cuz wen it comes down to it they made that product for u...the fan...but im glad they keep it 100 n in our area...that way it dont saturate...n the bay i think has the best selection of music of ne region...i dont think they been declining...sales yea...music no...i listen to the shit on the radio(no cd player in the car) n shit is WHACK!!!everything now is either a song bout a chickenhead...song bout makin it rain...song bout dancin in the club wit a chickenhead...song bout the club...song bout wut u did after the club...WTF???i remember wen i used to put on the radio back wen it was like 97.7,106.1 or 107.7 id hear some luniz...pac...40...mac mall...but since pac left they stopped playin that...for some pop culture music...n they supposed to b HIP HOP n R&B! its all wut the label wants...man its like yuk said...these faggot ass rap niggas b so strange...slavery deals a whip n a gold chain...n hes rite tho...there could never b anotha us...on the real tho...i dont think there is a more diverse(rapstyle-wise) than the bay...na than the ONEWEST!

shame

Sicc OG
Aug 1, 2004
good points so far...

I dont really mind south beats..some south prod. to me is actually dope...look at old bay shit, alot of good songs had just a simple 808 kick, some claps and hats...to me its more just cats arent really sayin shit now days...

I was watchin The Deal a few days ago and this cat had this song where the hook was something like "I got money...I got money...I got money"...you can probably guess what the next 4 bars were...LOL ...shit was just horrible.

Apr 25, 2002
www.myspace.com
i believe fans will buy records if the music is good sooner or later. some artists are quick to blame everything else but blind to the facts that their music is not at pro level or not working hard enough.

the cats making money wont complain cause theyre selling regardless. but sales being down does partially have to do with downloads but i dont think it hurts indie artist as much. another problem is there is more rappers than fans..

Apr 25, 2002
I think artists. Mainstream Hip Hop has driven away the real fans of Hip Hop and blended Hip Hop with R&B and Pop. Some of this is okay, but having the whole genre become a hybrid of multiple genres has ruined its authenticity. Bay Area rap is a great example of this. It used to set the trends, now the Bay Area songs you hear on the radio follow the trends.

The next generation of Hip Hop has really become boutique. Its like fine wine. People will dig through hundreds of cds to find that one rare one they'll really like. That's why there are still artists like Techn9ne, Atmosphere, Murs, etc selling as many units as they ever have despite massive downloading and a weak economy. I think this is also good supporting evidence that good music is still bought by fans. The three above rappers I mentioned all make music much different then what you hear on the radio. In addition, they are extremely creative with marketing, easily accessible to fans, humble and most importantly tour well.

Oct 19, 2004
First off if you're not at least 25 and older you really shouldn't have anything to say.

Artist not staying true to themselves and to what made them hot in the first place.

Downloading...I don't care how good your music is, to some nothing beats gettin it for free.

Technology. Far too many people have the tools to make music. It used to be an exclusive group now everyone and they mama is an artist..a wack one at that.

Fans in every region hating on the other regions as if all regions don't make good and bad music.

Originality is gone. Conforming is now the thing to do.

There's no balance in rap anymore. There used to be different styles, sound and categories in rap. Now there's only one....commercial, materialistic, fake shit.

The new era of artist just aren't as good as the one's in the past. Not all but most.

Losing control of our culture and music. Rap was bred off people in urban communities making music for their communities. Now its made for people that don't even understand or know the culture.

Money destroyed it too. Making music to sell records instead of making good music that fans want killed it.

I could go n forever. The fact of the matter is that if something isn't done rap will be GONE! You think it cant happen? Remember heavy metal and rock?

Jun 10, 2002
Too many people that want to be rappers that really cant rap putting out bullshit kinda makes people want to stop buying cds. I still trippin how the bay went from mob and actually sounding good and rapping about shit that made sense to rapping bout thizzing and all this ghost ride the whip and hyphy bullshit not saying its bad but its not for me and I wont listen to it and so many of the older rappers instead of sticking to what made people a fan in the first place are selling out rapping bout all this shit that doesnt make any sense coming outta there mouths. how in the fuck you gonna be 35 talking bout getting hyphy and ghost riding whips you gotta be kidding me and the fans are hearing this shit and saying you gotta be playing around and they are tuning out.