who do you guys blame more for the decline of bay hip-hop or hip-hop in general?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Aug 6, 2008
Can't forget the programs that made it way too easy for any no-talent asshole to be a "rapper" or a "producer".
yep anybody can do that shit, pro tools and fruity loops killed the game, it took alot more work and determination 2 make music back in the day

and the sad thing is the record companies care NOTHING about the music they just care about money and what will make it 4 em no matter how it sounds

Apr 13, 2008
i blame the internet, everyone started downloadin the hot shit and most niggas don't wanna spend money on something you can get for free anyway. then you got the internet being a great promotional tool and way to get your sound out, but everyone and their cousin is a rapper/producer now with music online and everyone is making music on computers, so you got weak shit muddlin out the real hot shit, which is hard to find for a lot of people.

and when it comes to music that sells, white people.

you don't gotta be an aging going on middle aged man to see none of this.

Aug 6, 2008
^^^ thats true too, technology raised the bar of the people cause they only buy shit thats really worth it, and it lowered the talent requirement for the artists cause anybody can make music now... so aint nobody sellin and aint nobody buyin

R

Sicc OG
Dec 7, 2005
for the decline in bay hip hop i blame all the passengers on the yellow bus

for the decline in hip hop in general blame people like kanye west and lil wayne and soldier boy

Oct 30, 2002
www.soundclick.com
RAPPER FUNK DOOKIE CAN BE MEDIOCORE AT BEST

RAPPER LYRICS CONTAGIOUS CAN BE DOPE AS FUCK

BUT IF LYRICS CONTAGIOUS WONT GET OFF HIS ASS AND PUSH HIMSELF AND HIS CD WHILE FUNK DOOKIE WILL HUSTLE HIS ASS OFF AND GET HIS PRODUCT OUT.. WHO IS EVERYONE GONNA KNOW ABOUT AND MOST LIKELY BUY??

FUNK DOOKIE!!!!

THAT I THINK IS A PROBLEM. NO HUSTLE RAPPERS THINK THEY DESERVE SHIT JUST BECAUSE THEIR HOMIES HYPE THEM UP TOO MUCH. THEY CAN HAVE SKILL BUT EXPECT THINGS TO BE HANDED TOO THEM.

WHILE THE NOT SO TALENTED ARTIST DO THEIR BEST TO GET OUT THERE AND MAKE THAT MONEY AND GET EXPOSURE

May 16, 2002
I can agree with more than a few replies on here, no doubt.

My opinion would be, yes the "mainstream" is watered down, no talent yada, yada, yada, BUT! That should be a clear sign that "keeping it real" rappers are trying too hard. It's become crystal clear for quite a few years that the majority of "real fans / consumers / world" is not interested in listening to your hardcore / real stories told on wax. Yes, we can call it corporate America, blame it on the budgets, labels, artist etc etc.. but most people are stuck in the 90's where "keeping it real & not selling out" was a term most lived by.

Welcome to the new millennium. It's a new era and people are on a different vibe. Even on how underground artist are pushing their music now a days is on a whole other level oppose to 5 years ago. Everything changes and sometimes we fail to step outside the box and realize our time / generation has had it's run. It's a new day and a new generation. Even rap changed in the early 90's (Death Row Era) and the world accepted it, but soon realized that business and "keeping it real / gangsta" don't mix (and will never mix). Perhaps that, amongst artist getting locked up after getting major record deals, smoking weed & flashing guns on camera is the reason "Corporate America / major labels" won't dish out money and accept your music to be on the airwaves. Because they been there, made good money and done that, but noticed "thugged out artist" are not in this music business for the long haul. The key is to keep making money, not throw it all away once you reach a few mill.

Having "fake" artist? Hey! The way "Corporate America / majors" might see it is, we can all make money cause those artist are indeed what they seek.. business people that know how to draw in the crowd and make money. Yet, stay focused.

At the end of it all folks, it's dollar signs and those that can keep bringing it in.

Dec 29, 2008
well i think hip hop is still alive just not in the best health at the moment

i blame the artists for the state of hip hop and my main complaint for the artists is that even a lot of the intelligent ones dumb down their music and make music for 12 year old girls. since i was a teenager ive been tired of rappers telling the cliche story of being a drug dealer, killer, pimp all in one.

Aug 7, 2006
I would say this much,

as far as artist, there isn't much quality music out there. The water -down music sort of drove mad heads away from this hip hop music. If you have a quality album i think heads will still buy it but these days there is soo much trashed in rap music, everyone is iffy on even taking time to listen to new joints

May 20, 2003
www.myspace.com
Fans and consumers of music are like dopefiends, whoever got the best dope to give the best high that is who people are going to run with period. Music is not sports and these days people aren't loyal to one thing like a 49ers, Raiders, or Cowboys fan. Its all based on product and the awareness of it is based on the quality. Even if there was a lack of promotion, word of mouth is just as potent. In my oppinion, once the word of mouth about an artist starts to spread around, thats when a new consumer would take that chance on him and support that artist.

May 20, 2006
People will buy good music, if that's the only way that you can get it. But if you don't have to buy something, would you pay for it???? I'll never buy music again, bcuz i can get any song i want off of the internet for free!!!!! Don't get me wrong, i've spent thousands of dollars on my music, from albums, cassetes, and cd's. But again, if i can get something for free i will. I've invested in Hip-Hop, free music iz just a return on my investment.......

May 14, 2002
I have no fucking clue really but i would really like someone from the bay (Besides any1 who has a platinum album as of now) to blow the fuck up, and be on MTV, BET, VH1. I think that would be real cool to see that. I just dont get why: We have talent, swag, lyrics, good music, p i m p i n and all the shit. It sux we aint hit like that yet

shame

Sicc OG
Aug 1, 2004
Alot of great points...

For the most part the main hip-hop fan from 15-20 years ago was an independant thinker and artists could do what they wanted because money wasnt the main factor behind what they were creating..

Now its the opposite.....most of todays hip-hop fans are pop-culture followers who just wanna be "cool".....plus most cats get into music because of the money and fame rather than just enjoying the craft.

Like I had said...."fake it til ya make it" is the new "keep it real"

Jan 22, 2007
Alot of great points...

For the most part the main hip-hop fan from 15-20 years ago was an independant thinker and artists could do what they wanted because money wasnt the main factor behind what they were creating..

Now its the opposite.....most of todays hip-hop fans are pop-culture followers who just wanna be "cool".....plus most cats get into music because of the money and fame rather than just enjoying the craft.

Like I had said...."fake it til ya make it" is the new "keep it real"
True.....But where would these "Independent Thinkers" go to find new music???

shame

Sicc OG
Aug 1, 2004
True.....But where would these "Independent Thinkers" go to find new music???
Thats up to the person...you just have to dig to find what you like.

I remember back when I was young and the hip-hop section was either really small or didnt exist so when another cat was in the store lookin at rap albums it might actually spark a convo like "yo...did you hear that new Ice Cube solo?"...or "how you like that new Short album"....ect. ect.

Now when I walk in rasputins the hip-hop section is huge and the person next to me is blond haired-blue eyed Becky with her boyfreind fitted up in Hollister gear and flip flops talkin about goin dumb....lol