What WR has been worth the #1 overall pick?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 25, 2002
In NFL history..CJ supporters please answer this for me..
I cant think of any WR that has been drafted #1 overall the last 20 years that has been worth it..which leads me to my next question..

Why are so many Raider fans so hyped to draft Johnson with the 1st pick...I dont care how much potential he has, I dont think any WR is ever worth the first pick in the draft..

Aug 9, 2006
keyshwan johnson in a bucs uni was worth it(he was the missing link to there SB win over the raiders)....but he wasnt worth it to the jets who drafted him with the number 1 overall seleciton...

Apr 25, 2002
MooreBlock530 said:
haha tell that to bucs fans.....a WR was the only thing they needed and he was one of the main reasons they go threw the season and one the superbowl.....

bust? uhhhhh no
That doesn't mean he's worth the #1 pick tho..he may have been good enough to help them win the SB but no way was he worth the #1 overall pick IMO...his attitude sucks. Plus the Bucs didn't even draft him.

Apr 25, 2002
Jesse fuckin' Rice said:
Uhhh....what???

I think a list of WR's a number 1 might help. My memory is not what it used to be and I can only think of a few that have gone inthe last decade...all were "busts".
Actually after looking it up the last WR chosen first overall before Keyshawn was Irving Fryar in 1984. I thought Carlos Rogers was a #1 pick but I guess not.

Sep 17, 2005
bottom line is a #1 talent receiver is worthless without a good QB to get him the ball. Id go out on a limb and say the majority of teams that get the #1 pick also have a worthless QB.

Apr 25, 2002
Lamberto Quintero said:
The person who deserves to be the number one pick should be the one with the most talent in the draft, and CJ has the most talent. End of discussion...
Doesn't matter how talented he is...yea it can help make a QB look better when they have more talented WR's but for the most part the production of the WR is highly dependent on how good the offensive foundation is(O-line and QB). That is why you never see WR's worth the #1 overall pick..most teams that have #1 overall pick have it for a reason..The team has no foundation which degrades the skill position players. Im not sure why so many so called "football fans" dont get this.

May 13, 2002
montyslaw.blogspot.com
3VID3NC3 said:
Doesn't matter how talented he is...yea it can help make a QB look better when they have more talented WR's but for the most part the production of the WR is highly dependent on how good the offensive foundation is(O-line and QB). That is why you never see WR's worth the #1 overall pick..most teams that have #1 overall pick have it for a reason..The team has no foundation which degrades the skill position players. Im not sure why so many so called "football fans" dont get this.
I get this very clearly, a WR cannot turn a franchise around so teams hardly use #1 picks on them. Regardless, CJ is still the most talented player in the draft...

May 9, 2002
3VID3NC3 said:
Tell that to Anquan Boldin. He had one of the best rookie campaigns for a WR in the history of the NFL on THE CARDINALS. Who was the QB and how good was their OL????

Apr 25, 2002
Jesse fuckin' Rice said:
Tell that to Anquan Boldin. He had one of the best rookie campaigns for a WR in the history of the NFL on THE CARDINALS. Who was the QB and how good was their OL????
True..doesn't happen often tho and how much did he really help them win games? Obviously not that much cuz they havn't had a winning season since he's been there. Plus he wasn't the #1 overall pick..I dont have a problem with drafting WR's in the top 10, but 1st overall is too high, too much money for maybe 8-10 touches on a great game isn't worth it IMO. WR should be one of the last things to focus on when building an offense, but alot of teams do it backwards(Raiders, Cards, Lions) and it hasn't worked out too well in the W/L column.

Aug 9, 2006
the number 1 overall selection is spouse to be draft the person with the highest amount of talent.....of course teams usually dont go by this....CJ has the most talent in the draft but he wont be going number 1...its not even a debate.....everyone knows raiders are going to get JRUSSEL (whether thats smart or not is yet to be determined)....

Apr 25, 2002
MooreBlock530 said:
the number 1 overall selection is spouse to be draft the person with the highest amount of talent...
I disagree..the position they play is a big factor.
The #1 overall should be a player that you feel will help you WIN the most games and turn the franchise around. A WR is not gonna do that with the first pick in the draft..gauranteed.

Tony

Sicc OG
May 15, 2002
^Moss was picked in the first round so get your facts straight! Lamberto and 3VID3NC3 are both making good points. But I think 3VID3NC3 is talking about the number one pick overall.