What WR has been worth the #1 overall pick?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Aug 7, 2003
there was a article last year in the contra costa times about how first round WR's are more often then not busts becuase they have so much pressure on them to succeed and become that the stud WR in their first season. many of the great receivers in history are not from the first round. look at mike williams, carlos rodgers, the other williams from detroit, rashun woods, etc. all are busts but rodgers has been playin good last season.

and yeah moss helped turned around the vikings. but there are 3 things that moss needs first. a good qb to get him the ball deep down field. a good oline that gives the wr time to run down the field 30 yards and keep the qb from getting sacked. and a play calling offensive coordinator that can understand the wr's strengths and use them.

so i would defiently not draft CJ first if those other 3 things are not above average. yeah he is a the best prospect coming out the draft, but that does not warrent a first pick. look at last year, bush had the most talent by leaps and bounds and houston passed on him.

Apr 25, 2002
Lamberto Quintero said:
^^ When the Vikings got Randy Moss, I would say he was a BIG factor in their turnaround from a terrible team to a 15-1 SB caliber team...
But how much of a factor has Moss been in Oakland? NONE because the team has no foundation. Vikings had a good enough line that let Moss stretch the field and make big plays.

May 13, 2002
montyslaw.blogspot.com
3VID3NC3 said:
But how much of a factor has Moss been in Oakland? NONE because the team has no foundation. Vikings had a good enough line that let Moss stretch the field and make big plays.
True. But you can't fix problems like that by drafting one guy in the first round, that's something the GM needs to take care of first through FA's, Trades, etc. I still believe the number one pick should be the guy with the most talent, regardless of team needs...

The GM has to build the team ready to win, and all the parts are important. But there are certain guys you DONT pass up on... (See Houstan and Bush)

Apr 25, 2002
Lamberto Quintero said:
But there are certain guys you DONT pass up on... (See Houstan and Bush)
Bush>>>Johnson IMO
Bush is more versatile and will be more of a game changer..I actually wish the Raiders had the #1 pick last year so we could've drafted bush.

May 13, 2002
montyslaw.blogspot.com
^^^ I'd say every team in the NFL wishes they had the #1 pick last year because of Bush. (Or should I say #2 pick, Stupid ass Texans!)

And I also agree that Bush is more of a game changer than CJ, but you can't expect a Reggie Bush type player to come out every year.

Now, for the 100th time, CJ is the most talented player in THIS draft, which is where the Raiders DO have the #1 pick...

Tony

Sicc OG
May 15, 2002
But here's the question... should the Raiders select the most talented player in the draft? Or should they select the best player that fits our need? If we had a qb then I'd vote for Adrian Peterson. I think he has just as much talent as CJ has.

I think we're all pretty much split up on who the Raiders should draft. 3VID3NC3 thinks we should trade down to address our offensive line. Lamberto thinks we should draft CJ based on being the best overall talent in the draft. I think we should get Russell because we need a franchise qb to contend with the big dogs in the AFC (Carson Palmer, Big Ben, Manning, Brady, Rivers and now Vince Young and Jay Cutler). I think we need a qb bad.... if not, we won't contend. Russell can make any throw that the Qb's listed above can make and he can make the throws that they can't make.

Sep 26, 2005
Tony said:
But here's the question... should the Raiders select the most talented player in the draft? Or should they select the best player that fits our need? If we had a qb then I'd vote for Adrian Peterson. I think he has just as much talent as CJ has.

I think we're all pretty much split up on who the Raiders should draft. 3VID3NC3 thinks we should trade down to address our offensive line. Lamberto thinks we should draft CJ based on being the best overall talent in the draft. I think we should get Russell because we need a franchise qb to contend with the big dogs in the AFC (Carson Palmer, Big Ben, Manning, Brady, Rivers and now Vince Young and Jay Cutler). I think we need a qb bad.... if not, we won't contend. Russell can make any throw that the Qb's listed above can make and he can make the throws that they can't make.
well see soon draft comin up soon

May 13, 2002
montyslaw.blogspot.com
Tony said:

The only thing I say is that IF the Raiders use the 1st pick and not trade it, I rather have them draft CJ. Trading the pick for more depth on the team would be just as fine with me, and I would actually want that more than just drafting one guy with the pick...

With a guy like CJ available, I just want the Raiders to get the best deal possible since they have the pick. Either make the pick worth it by taking CJ, or trade it and get something extra. Just don't diminish the value of the pick by drafting Needs instead of trading it or taking the top guy. I dunno if that even makes sense...

Tony

Sicc OG
May 15, 2002
Yeah it makes sense. But why should we draft CJ when we already have Moss and Porter? I don't think Porter would be happy with being the #3 receiver. And then Curry would drop on the depth down to the #4 receiver. Plus Moss is getting like $9 million next year. So that would be tons of money tied up in the receiver position when you factor in CJ's contract. We'll see what happens though. The last thing I would do is trade the pick because the Raiders aren't in a rebuilding stage.

Aug 7, 2003
Lamberto Quintero said:
And that's a good thing? Houston is going to look very stupid ten years from now for passing up on Reggie Bush. People already talk shit about it...
how do you know? what if bush blows out his knee in the 2nd game next season? anything can happen.

Apr 25, 2002
Tony said:

At this point Im pretty open to who the Raiders draft, but I dont want CJ for reasons already stated plus what you said about already having Moss, Porter and Curry. The O-line needs the most upgrading for all the other positions to play to their full potential so thats why Im cool with gettin Thomas is we trade down. If we stay at the first pick Id be ok with Quinn or Russell, I dont really favor one over the other much. I also wouldn't mind Peterson, you can never have too many running backs.

Apr 5, 2005
^^^raiders definitely need to address there O-line. Thomas would be a good pick up. I don't think CJ is worth a #1 pick seeing how the raiders lack an o-line and QB. From what I know they are looking to pick up CJ and picking up that Qb from Stanford in the 2nd round.

I'd pick up Thomas and that Edwards kid from Stanford. Looks as though Bill Walsh has this kid in high regards. I don't doubt him either. Walsh knows how to pick his players.

Tony

Sicc OG
May 15, 2002
3VID3NC3 said:
At this point Im pretty open to who the Raiders draft, but I dont want CJ for reasons already stated plus what you said about already having Moss, Porter and Curry. The O-line needs the most upgrading for all the other positions to play to their full potential so thats why Im cool with gettin Thomas is we trade down. If we stay at the first pick Id be ok with Quinn or Russell, I dont really favor one over the other much. I also wouldn't mind Peterson, you can never have too many running backs.
What if we drafted a lineman in the second round with the 33rd pick of the draft? And then bring in another lineman from free agency? And then maybe draft another lineman later in the draft? Would you consider that upgradin'? Don't forget ol Art Shell (and his blocking schemes) are gone. We have better coaching now. Hopefully Newberry will work out too...

Apr 25, 2002
Tony said:
What if we drafted a lineman in the second round with the 33rd pick of the draft? And then bring in another lineman from free agency? And then maybe draft another lineman later in the draft? Would you consider that upgradin'? Don't forget ol Art Shell (and his blocking schemes) are gone. We have better coaching now. Hopefully Newberry will work out too...
We need as many linemen as we can get so yeah I hope we do go for linemen in the 2nd, 3rd(we got two 3rd round picks) and later rounds if we dont in the 1st. I know the coaching should be better but I dont know how much..I have to see improvement with my own eyes to officially believe it. Seems like every season theres a new coach and its the same story.

May 13, 2002
montyslaw.blogspot.com
hella_numb said:
and that is why no one is a for sure thing in pro sports
Haven't you ever heard the saying that the only sure things in life are death and taxes? Of course anything is possible, and no one is ever a sure thing. But of course some guys are more likely to succeed than others based on their college careers and set of skills they possess. But college success doesn't automatically equal NFL success as we've seen time and time again. Anything could happen with CJ, IMO he will be a great WR. He could bust just as much as anyone else though...