WHAT ALBUM PUT YOU ON TO BAY RAP???

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

Arson

Long live the KING!!!!
May 7, 2002
I was listening to short my whole life, but back 2 the hotel had me buying every vallejo artist, first time i heard 40 too, rbl posse firsr album i copped anything in a minute, mac dre was a legend allready when he out back n the hood, i felt so bad ass listening to his jail raps lol.

Apr 11, 2003
Broadbeach, AUSTRALIA
When I was about 12 and living in New Zealand I actually bought the The Source magazine and there was an article in there about Too $hort and they called him a 'Legend' with 15 albums or whatever at that time he had out.

I remembe thinking to myself 'Pfffft, legend! Whatever how come I had never heard about this guy' but I was intrigued because of the comments. This was 1996 and the Internet first came out so when my dad took me to work one day at the University he taught at, I jumped on and found Short's lyrics. I was mesmerized and kept printing and reading his lyrics because that's all I could find. While Short may have been big in the US, in the rest of the world at that time he was literally unknown. I had a folder with a printout of all his lyrics and it was like poetry to me.

I found his Cocktales CD later that same year in a $2 bin and copped it. To this day it I still one of m favourite albums ever...Motherfuckingshitgoddamnasshoe!!

I then got into other Bay Rap when I accidentally came across Baby Beesh, Jay Tee and Mac Dre on Napster - I remember being blown away and thinking "How is this stuff not all over MTV"m

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2014
How do you get put on to the bay when you been here since birth and help make the bay what it is just by existing? And to answer the question it was digital underground tied with Too Short. Then it was Hammer I hate when fools want to ignore the fact the biggest RAPPER IN SHOW BIZ AT THE TIME WAS HAMMER FROM THE TOWN LOL. Everybody had lines in there hair! Lol

Mike Manson

Still Livin'
Apr 16, 2005
How do you get put on to the bay when you been here since birth and help make the bay what it is just by existing? And to answer the question it was digital underground tied with Too Short. Then it was Hammer I hate when fools want to ignore the fact the biggest RAPPER IN SHOW BIZ AT THE TIME WAS HAMMER FROM THE TOWN LOL. Everybody had lines in there hair! Lol
ok ok...you win

Apr 25, 2002
Of course I had heard Dre, Short, 40 and others before but I think my interest was really sparked by how often the artists collaborated more so than one artist on their own.

I Got Five on It
In a Minute / Dog Day Records
17 Reasons Compilation and the Rompilation
2Pac's All Eyes on Me
JT / GLP / The Gamblaz / Quinn / Fully Loaded / Done Deal Records

To this day I still think its dope that there was a whole industry of local artists fuckin with each other and sticking to a Bay sound.

Nov 14, 2002
www.viiicdesign.com
My cousin put me on Too Short tapes. I was mesmerized that this guy would say "bitch" on a song and I was hooked. I was living in east palo alto at the time around 92' and I was put on Totally Insane (Direct from the Backstreets) and Sic Insane Criminals. Those tapes were the soundtrack of my early years. After that I fell in Love with Bay Area music.