UFC 136

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Sep 20, 2005
FUCK YOU
Strikeforce champ Melendez wants next crack at UFC 136's main-event winner

HOUSTON – Strikeforce lightweight champion Gilbert Melendez (19-2 MMA, 8-1 UFC) attended this weekend's UFC Fan Expo Houston 2011 representing his longtime employer, but he hopes to leave the city with a different tag: UFC title challenger.

Melendez today said he plans on pressing UFC president Dana White for the next crack at the winner of UFC 136's lightweight championship bout.

"I'm a vet in this sport," Melendez told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "I've been here for a long, long time, and I'm ready to prove I'm No. 1.

"I'm ready to start taking over and holding down the weightclass, promoting the sport and representing MMA. I've been ready for that awhile."

Melendez's resume makes a strong case. Currently riding a five-fight win streak with impressive wins over Tatsuya Kawajiri, Shinya Aoki, Josh Thomson, Mitsuhiro Ishida and Rodrogo Damm, "El Nino" is generally considered one of the very few lightweights not currently in the UFC capable of competing at the top of the promotion's 155-pound division.

For years, Melendez was tied down to his longtime employers at Strikeforce, and the UFC's position against cross-promoting prevented him from facing top UFC contenders. But with those two companies now operating under the same umbrella, Melendez is ready to prove he's capable of beating either current UFC champ Frankie Edgar or his opponent at Saturday night's UFC 136 event at Houston's Toyota Center, Gray Maynard.

And while White recently said a warm-up fight for Melendez might be a prudent way for the fighter to acclimate himself to the octagon, the 29-year-old Cesar Gracie Jiu-Jitsu product has no interest in waiting.

"I've been here longer than Frankie," Melendez said. "I've been here longer than Gray. I've been here longer than Melvin Guillard. I've been here longer than Clay Guida. I've been here longer than all these dudes. It's not like I'm a new kid that needs to get his feet wet.

"Of course this is the biggest stage in the world, and that could really get somebody nervous. Or you could take all that energy – the vibration of the speakers, all the people yelling – and just use it. That's what I think I would do, and that's what I've always done."

As it currently stands, Melendez is expected to face top Strikeforce contender Jorge Masvidal at a Dec. 17 Strikeforce event, expected to take place in San Diego, Calif. Melendez insists the dangling carrot of the UFC belt isn't proving a distraction, and he's preparing in earnest for the hard-hitting Masvidal.

"That guy talked [expletive] on me years ago," Masvidal said. "I knew I was going to fight this guy eventually. Until I hear different I'll just focus on him."

But if his phone rings and White is on the other end, Melendez said he won't need to think twice.

"I know the common fan thinks I haven't made the big leagues yet," Melendez said. "I've been working my butt off to put on really good shows and really good, entertaining fights. I've proven myself.

"Masvidal has earned his shot to face me, but I think I've earned 10-times more than he has a shot at the UFC title."

lenbiasyayo

Rest In Peace
Jun 24, 2008
i attempted to get inside th mind of a shitty judge and gave kenflo 3-2 but he did no damage so i dont know how that goes into play. edgar is a warrior. sonnen was just a fuckin brilliant beast. and lol and guilard losing haha he sucks. lenard garcia will always b employed by zuffa

Apr 25, 2002
edgar is mufuckin balboa...one of the greatest ever!!!! that dude was takin risk the whole damn fight to prove himself...i kept saying wtf frankie...ease up let him make the mistake....but knowing damn well his pride is too strong and he had to finish that fight for himself...win or lose he was gonna push the "line"

props to both fighters fa sho...whole card was dope

Sep 22, 2007
Thats probably gonna happen since all the other number 1 contenders all lost recently

Jim Miller - lost
Melvin - lost
Pettis - lost to Guida

Gilbert vs. Frankie is gonna be epic
Don't forget Soti. First it was George, then Pettis, then Miller, & now Guillard. I love the LW division because everything has happened.

RM211

Sicc OG
Feb 10, 2006
he should'nt get first cracc at it imo, give him pettis first or loser of bendo/guida fight...winner of that should get frankie after a loooooooong rest...dude has fuccin heart.