UFC 136

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Sep 20, 2005
FUCK YOU
Silva's camp: Sonnen crossed a line, not in position to determine champ's return date

Chael Sonnen is funny, sure. But he's crossed the line, manager Ed Soares today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).

"First the guy gets in trouble for fraud, then he tests positive for steroids, and now he wants to kick in someone's door and slap their wife in the ass? This guy should be in jail; he shouldn't be fighting," the Anderson Silva rep said.

Sonnen called out the middleweight champ in a post-fight interview following his victory over Brian Stann at this past weekend's UFC 136 event. But the fighter's comments a week prior set things off, Soares said.

During his pre-fight media duties for the pay-per-view event, Sonnen gave a racy provocation to MMA broadcaster Mauro Renallo.

"You tell Anderson Silva I'm coming over and I'm kicking down his backdoor and patting his little lady on the ass, and I'm telling her to make me a steak, medium-rare, just how I like it," the trash-talking champ said.

Cameras showed Silva smiling and feigning concern during Sonnen's brief post-fight speech. Afterward, though, UFC president Dana White said the champ's true feelings were hidden.

"Those guys really don't like each other," White said. "I don't know if Chael really hates Anderson, but Anderson – I don't know if any of you saw his face when [Chael] won, but he wasn't doing the whole joking around thing. He was pissed. He's really upset bout the smack-his-wife-on-the-butt thing."

Soares said Silva doesn't hate Sonnen, but "he definitely doesn't respect him for the things that he's saying. Hyping up the fight is one thing, but I think you cross the line when you start talking about people's family."

Before he walked away from the his post-fight interview, Sonnen presented a loser-leaves-town-type match with the middleweight champion for Super Bowl weekend. He promised to leave the UFC if beaten, and he demanded Silva leave his division if defeated.

"Chael is not the person that's going to determine when [Silva] is going to take the fight," Soares said. "When he's going to take this fight is when his shoulder is completely healed up, and he's ready to start his training camp for the fight.

"It's not because Chael says he wants to fight in February. Who is Chael to determine that? Chael needs to take a number and wait his turn. He got his opportunity, and he tapped. It's not the first time he's tapped, and I guarantee you it won't be the last."

Sonnen did not respond to request for comment.

Silva (29-4 MMA, 14-0 UFC) and Sonnen (26-11-1 MMA, 5-4 UFC) first met 14 months ago at UFC 117 and delivered a fight for the ages. Sonnen dominated the action for four rounds before getting caught in a triangle choke midway through the fifth and final round. The pair was scheduled to meet again early this year, but the immediate rematch was nixed when the California State Athletic Commission suspended Sonnen for elevated levels of testosterone. Sonnen's victory Saturday was his first fight since the suspension.

Silva, meanwhile, dispatched former champ Vitor Belfort in violent fashion at UFC 126, and at UFC 134, he did the same with longtime standout Yushin Okami.

Silva has suffered from bursitis in his shoulder since UFC 134, and Soares said a brief return to training was unsuccessful. Following UFC 136, the champ flew home to Rio de Janeiro, where the documentary "Like Water" makes its debut at the Rio Film Festival. The film focuses on Silva's preparation for his first fight with Sonnen.

As to when Silva might be ready to fight, Soares is not sure.

"It's still sore, and he's doing therapy," he said. "We're just waiting to see how it's healing up."

For the champ to be ready to fight on Super Bowl weekend, which is the first weekend in February and has hosted several big fight cards, Silva needs to be healthy, at the latest, by the end of November to begin a 10-week training camp.

"Would it be a big fight? It would be a huge fight, but right know, it's not so much who he's going to fight and when," Soares said of a potential rematch. "It's making sure Anderson gets back to 100 percent before he gets in there."

White said he's on board.

"I'd be pretty [expletive] stupid if I didn't make that fight."

B-Buzz

lenbiasyayo
Oct 21, 2002
bhibago
last.fm
I want a big ass LW tournament to figure out who the best is. Frankie vs Gil, Maynard vs Diaz II, Alvarez vs Aoki II, Bendo vs Guida, Pettis vs Melvin, Dunham vs Lauzon, Sherk vs staying healthy

Jan 29, 2005
PHX
strikeforce provided gay talent against gilbert
his last two fights he ran through 2 top 10's in the world in Aoki and Kawajiri.....not too many people can say they dominated two top 10's in the world in their last 2 fights. The only other LW that even beat two top 10's in their last two opponents is Frank Edgar and he didn't dominate like Gil did.