U.S. Shuts Down Megaupload

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 14, 2006
U.S. Shuts Down MegaUpload, Charges Kim Dotcom, 6 Others With Piracy

The U.S. Justice Department has charged seven individuals connected to the file-sharing site Megaupload.com, accusing them of a “massive worldwide online piracy” scheme that costed more than $500 million in damages and generated more than $175 million in profits, according to a Justice Department release Thursday.

The ring is allegedly led by Kim Dotcom, aka Kim Schmitz and Kim Tim Jim Vestor, a 37-year-old who is a resident of Hong Kong and New Zealand. Dotcom was arrested today in New Zealand along with associates Finn Batato, Mathias Ortmann, Bram van der Kolk. Kim Dotcom is German-born entrepreneur who has reportedly been convicted of credit card fraud. Three other associates are at-large.

The main site, Megaupload.com which has been shut down, is accused of infringing on copyright by distributing movies, television shows, books and software even before their release dates. The companies Megaupload Limited and Vestor Limited are accused of having a business model “expressly designed to promote uploading of the most popular copyrighted works for many millions of users to download.” The site provided financial incentives for uploading popular content, the indictment charges.

The 7 individuals were indicted by a grand jury in the Eastern District of Virginia on January 5 and charged with racketeering conspiracy and conspiring to commit copyright infringement, among other charges. Each person faces up to 55 years in prison.

The interest in this case is likely to be high as interest in SOPA has been at a fever pitch in recent days.

More on this to come soon.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/tomioge...load-charges-kim-dotcom-6-others-with-piracy/

Feb 14, 2006
will be missed.....Adrive is good too
Thats my go-to site when im uploading but unless you pay for an account the files go private after 3 weeks and I have to re-share them manually. Thats what made MU more convenient.

Looks like i dont have a choice at the moment though lol.

Nuttkase

not nolettuce
Jun 5, 2002
at the welfare mall
lol @ this happening though the day after a lot of politicians that were supporting SOPA and PIPA jumping ship after the wiki blackout and google getting 5 million petition sigs in one day. It's like no shit the people don't want you fucking with their internet, across the political board.

:ab:

blunt_hogg559
Jul 6, 2005
that's some faggot ass shit. we gonna be talking about the good ole days like some dusty ass old timers, when the net was like the wild wild west. there is gonna be a day when you have to log in to the net using the bar code tat on the back of your neck. bet.

Jan 18, 2006
damn i got some of the best download speeds from megaupload other then torrent sites. Also liked how they changed it to no countdown timer before you could download