U.S. Shuts Down Megaupload

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 9, 2002
Writing to disk is an expensive process in terms of computer resources. If you are trying to write a lot of files in the same time at a high speed, this will typically happen to different regions of the disk, so it has to spin, write, spin, write, spin, write, at very frantic pace, and at some point it simply can not keep up. I've crashed disks that way
No offense, but what kind of crap hardware are you running in your machine??? I have never had an issue with that, and yes, i have had multiple writes from DL's at one time, simultaneously running database back up and retrieval here at work. If your HDD is struggling with writing several files at once, it sounds like a hardware issue.

Nov 24, 2003
not only that ThaG, but today's laws have made it so hard for the average person to capitalize off of copyrights, etc. that it's almost exclusively for corporations these days. gimpypimp, if you work with these people you should know just how difficult it is for them to actually make it. It's a huge game designed specifically for big corporations to capitalize.

Further, do you know how many great ideas/inventions just sit in the dark and collect dust because of those copyright laws? There is new technology that people can't advance because say, Xerox is sitting on the copyrights. Sticking with Xerox as an example, they invented electronic paper in the early 70's, but being that they were a paper & copy company, they didn't see any way to profit from it, so they tossed it to the side to only sit in the dark. It could have been a real cool technology in the 80's & 90's (before all the advanced cell phones we have today), we could have had "reusable newspapers" where your daily news would download and appear on your electronic paper daily and a ton of other potential benefits from the technology. But because it sat in the dark, no one knew and it never advanced.

There are tons of way better examples than that and of course I wont even get into the medical aspect of copyrights which is unbelievably bad for mankind.

So I agree with ThaG, copyright is utterly pointless and does not help mankind in the least bit.

Since you are really talking about patents. I agree they have been misused in our society, but at the same the do serve a purpose and eliminating them entirely would be detrimental to our society as well.

In situations where there is an extremely high R&D cost to bring a new technology to market it is important to have patents otherwise we are creating an environment where it is much more advantageous to be second to market. If it costs 100 Million to create some new type of immunotherapy cancer treatment for example, but everyone in the industry can just use the technology once it has been developed, then all the parties will be waiting for someone else to spend the 100 million so they can just steal the technology and profit without the large investment in R&D.

In that case we have we have created a progression stalemate as each person is waiting for the other to develop the technology.

The current system is not perfect and it would be better for the consumer if for example anyone could use a new technology but the originator of the technology was paid a standard royalty based on the industry and amount of R&D invested.

ThaG

Sicc OG
Jun 30, 2005
Just as there are therapies that cost 100 million to develop, there are also therapies that are not at all developed because the companies have decided it is not profitable to do so. There are many examples.

Most of those costs are for clinical trials not for the actual R&D. And just as there are large companies developing therapies, there are also lots of small individual labs who do that kind of work and lots of highly motivated people work in them. I see no reason why the drug and therapy R&D has to be the function of big pharma.

Nov 24, 2003
Just as there are therapies that cost 100 million to develop, there are also therapies that are not at all developed because the companies have decided it is not profitable to do so. There are many examples.

Most of those costs are for clinical trials not for the actual R&D. And just as there are large companies developing therapies, there are also lots of small individual labs who do that kind of work and lots of highly motivated people work in them. I see no reason why the drug and therapy R&D has to be the function of big pharma.

Immunotherapy was one example, don't get caught up arguing the specifics and miss the point; why would Ford invest hundreds of millions of dollars on a completely new engine technology if they knew GM could utilize it for free once it was developed? Second most of the costs for immunotherapy cancer treatments are not for clinical trials, although the FDA does require an exhaustive amount of trials before a drug might be approved. However the development off such drugs requires investing in highly specialized equipment, factories, and supply chains after the drug has been approved, not to mention the risk involved in paying for all that stuff only to have the FDA deny the application.

I don't really see what your argument is because even if the cost was driven entirely by clinical trials (which it is not) the original argument still remains. It doesn't make sense for the first company to shoulder all the costs associated with clinical trials when the second company can use the same technology without the cost.

I see no reason why the drug and therapy R&D has to be the function of big pharma.
It doesn't have to be big pharma and I never said it had to be, but in our current system and even if were to change, someone has to shoulder the enormous costs of developing a new drug. Right now that is done by big pharma predominantly on a profitability scale which doesn't necessarily lead to the best results for medical advancement. However, unless you are suggesting the government should be in charge of and fund all medical development then there needs to be some protection for the company bringing the technology to market, or the progression of medical advancement will stall.

May 2, 2002
You are coming at it with the assumption that profit should be a motivation to do stuff while at the heart of my post was the idea that this should never be the case because then you end up with dysfunctional societies as ours. Copyright is only one aspect of it.

As I said, people in academia, invent, discover and write stuff mostly for free and for recognition. There is career advancement as a result, but except for fields in which discoveries can be patented and profitted from, they do it for free. And that's how it has been for most of human history, for the benefit of humanity as a whole. Imagine that the wheel or the printing press had been patented and their use by others forbidden
Because for the most part profit IS the motivation. Most inventors truly love what they do…but they also want to try and make a decent living doing it. I get what you’re saying, but that isn’t the world we live in. It would be nice to live in a world where nothing came at a cost and we all just gave stuff away for free…but we don’t.

EVERYTHING that we use in our daily lives comes at a cost, and someone makes a profit…intellectual property is no different. Don’t think of patents, copyrights, etc. as ideas, they are products. Just like Nike sells shoes, companies and inventors sell their IP.

May 2, 2002
not only that ThaG, but today's laws have made it so hard for the average person to capitalize off of copyrights, etc. that it's almost exclusively for corporations these days. gimpypimp, if you work with these people you should know just how difficult it is for them to actually make it. It's a huge game designed specifically for big corporations to capitalize.

Further, do you know how many great ideas/inventions just sit in the dark and collect dust because of those copyright laws? There is new technology that people can't advance because say, Xerox is sitting on the copyrights. Sticking with Xerox as an example, they invented electronic paper in the early 70's, but being that they were a paper & copy company, they didn't see any way to profit from it, so they tossed it to the side to only sit in the dark. It could have been a real cool technology in the 80's & 90's (before all the advanced cell phones we have today), we could have had "reusable newspapers" where your daily news would download and appear on your electronic paper daily and a ton of other potential benefits from the technology. But because it sat in the dark, no one knew and it never advanced.

There are tons of way better examples than that and of course I wont even get into the medical aspect of copyrights which is unbelievably bad for mankind.

So I agree with ThaG, copyright is utterly pointless and does not help mankind in the least bit.
I sort of hinted to this in my first post, but yes, it is extremely difficult. It costs 10’s of thousands of dollars just to get a patent. My company deals with many who can’t afford to prosecute their own patents. If we like their idea, we take on the cost of prosecution and get a cut if we sell or license it. We also acquire patents from small companies who don’t really know what to do with what they have, or want to take on the monetary task of maintaining and marketing them. It’s an interesting field for sure.

Just because Xerox or some other company sits on an idea, it doesn’t mean thousands of others are. I don’t think you realize how many people and small businesses rely on their IP to make a decent living. It is anything but pointless.