The Rise And Fall of No Limit Records

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jun 10, 2007
yo i got an OG press copy for sale if you want to buy it but i did not know there was already a thread on this if so i would of not made a thread on this but i wanna speak on a few things

i've been bangin No Limits Shit since 1992 and i thought everything they dropped was tightup until Da Crime Family came out after that everthing they dropped was trash i like every Master P album up until Da Last Don after that i knew No Limit was done but Da Last Don was tight i bought that shit and Silkk first two albums was tight and that My World My Way was tight tho i remember buying it every track was tight even the track with the clipse

and i like Kane & Able's first two album but after 7 Sins they got wack but that Most Wanted album was straight but i liked Both Skull Duggery albums them shits was so damn tight plus i liked them Mr.Serv-On albums also fucked with that first Mac & fist Soulja Slim albums also want to know why did Soulja Slim take you got it track from that Magnolia Slim album

but i also want to say that he did kinda of abandon some of the bay becasue look at what happened to Lil Ric King George Cali G and everyone he had on them West Coast Bad Boy's albums but snoop was loyal even tho i think he was not getting paid right but you know how P had it too many artist and not enough promotion

cause i use to see commercials of albums like i've seen Skull Duggery's second album commercial and it had fiend in it plus i remember seeing Big Ed's and Prime Suspects album as commercials too so i notice it was not being promoted right but i thought every one just about spit some fire but master p never came wack until Da Last Don & Da Crime Family even tho he had Good Side Bad Side

but what ever happened to 2-4-1, Porsha, QB, Short Circut,Tank Dogs and the rest of albums that never came out because i remember hearing that they leaked some of Porsha's tracks and shit but im not too sure if so i wanna hear em

but here is my favorite No Limit albums

Master P - The Ghetto's Tryin To Kill Me
West Coast Bad Boyz Vol.1
Dangerous Dame - Escape From The Mental Ward
Down South Hustlers - Bouncin & Swingin
Master P - 99 Ways To Die
Mia X - Good Girl Gone Bad
Tru - True
Kane & Abel - 7 Sins
Master P - Ice Cream Man
Silkk - The Shocker
Skull Dugery - Hoodlum Fo' Life
I'm Bout It - Original Soundtrack
Master P - Ghetto D
Mia X - Unlady Like
Mr. Serv-On - Life Insurance
Mystikal - Unpredictable
Steady Mobb'n - Pre-Meditated Drama
Tru - Tru 2 Da Game
Big Ed - Assassin
C-Murder - Life Or Death
Fiend - There's One In Every Family
Full Blooded - Memorial Day
Gambino Family - Ghetto Organized
Mac - Shell Shocked
Magic - Sky's The Limit
Master P - MP Da Last Don
Mean Green - Major Players Compilation
Mia X - Mama Drama
Mystikal - Ghetto Fabulous
I Got The Hook Up - Original Soundtrack
No Limit Soldiers Compilation - We Can't Be Stopped
Prime Suspects - Guilty Til Proven Innocent
Silkk - Charge It 2 Da Game
Skull Dugery - These Wicked Streets
Snoop Dogg - Da Game Is To Be Sold, Not To Be Told
Soulja Slim - Give It 2 Em Raw
Steady Mobb'n Black Mafia
Young Bleed - My Balls & My Word
C-Murder - Bossalinie
Mo B Dick - Gangsta Harmony
Mr. Serv-On - Da Next Level
Tru - Tru Da Crime Family
Krazy - Breather Life
C-Murder - Trapped In Crime
Silkk - My World My Way

these are my favorite albums hope ya'll agree

wut u mean y did soulja slim take you got it? All he did was take his classic song he did from when he was magnolia slim and did a prt 2 to it

www.myspace.com/okla405nicca

May 27, 2008
No Limit was financially mismanaged & Master P fucked a lot of niggaz over such as beats and karma (or his rep, you decide) caught up with him

eventually his signature constipated "uuuuuuuugh" made him little more than a parody of who he once was

May 15, 2005
i actually seen a klc interview not too long he said he never got fuckd financially cus there never was an actual contract. but P paid all his artist,gave them a home, and a benz, he cant hold a niggas hands.

short

Sicc OG
Feb 2, 2006
P tried to do too much too quickly. Niggas aint finna buy an album from No Limit every week unless the quality is up to par with shit like Ghetto D, Tru 2 Da Game, etc.

fuck yeah
3 4 no limit cds drop each week
maybe 1 is worth a shit

May 15, 2003
the label itself is pretty much over, but master p is a multi millionaire! master p is a fuckin LEGENDARY hustler, how he went from being so broke that thinking richmond was a step up from his old house in new orleans to making multi millions with bad rap skills is a mystery to me. but undeniably AMAZING business skills

look at what he's got on his resume...

-First rapper to be worth over $100 million
-First rapper to be worth over $300 million
-First rapper to own 100% of his Masters
-First and only rapper/CEO to receive 85% of profits in a major deal
-First rapper to make Fortune magazine's 40 richest Americans under 40 in 1999
-Has sold 75 million records as an independent ceo
-Made Forbes list of highest paid entertainers in 1998
-First rapper to own and control a clothing company
-Started the direct to video trend in Hip Hop
-In the Guinness Book of World Records as the world's richest entertainer
-Brought commercial credibility to Southern Hip Hop
-Brought marketing innovations to Hip Hop
-Inspired a new generation of rappers to become independent
-BlackEnterprise B.E 100 list
-The Source magazine's Power 30 list at #1 two years in a row
-Vibe magazine's 10 most influential artists of the decade
-As a rapper sold over 30million records of his own
-Donated to the Katrina disaster
-Donates to his hometown for the betterment of the community

Jul 29, 2008
P tried to do too much too quickly. Niggas aint finna buy an album from No Limit every week unless the quality is up to par with shit like Ghetto D, Tru 2 Da Game, etc.
Hell yeah, He flooded shit a bit too much.

DEY TOOK A LOSS, IT HAPPENz N DA GAME.....

AN WHEN SUMTHIN NEW AN HOT'R COMEz ON , PPL USUALLY SEEM 2 JUMP ON IT....

NOT 2 MENTION ALOT OF DA PPL DAT MADE NO LIMIT WHUT IT WAz GOT FUK'D ( FIEND, MAC, YUNG BLEED, SOULJAH SLIM )

- GEEzUz
Yup.

the label itself is pretty much over, but master p is a multi millionaire! master p is a fuckin LEGENDARY hustler, how he went from being so broke that thinking richmond was a step up from his old house in new orleans to making multi millions with bad rap skills is a mystery to me. but undeniably AMAZING business skills

Can not deny that.
-------------------------------------

West Coast Bad Boyz 1 was the shit to me.. one of the best compilations I've ever heard.

When he made the move to the South, he really put on tons of kats (which I never knew/or heard) on Down South Hustlers..and that was another dope compilation at the time.

I was feeling a few of his artists, but I loved it when No Limit was "supplying the world with Gangsta shit". When he started to get more commercial, started to have 4 albums released every fukn time, I couldnt keep up.. and left it at that.

And you have to remember this was before internet, so people would buy shit just because it was No Limit. Some mags also gave them good reviews.

I remember I was bumpin Master P when he was Richmond... after I got outta lockup, he became a mainstream artist and did that "make me say uuuuhhh". I was like "what the fuk is this?" I bought mystikal, kane and abel and a few others... but after that, I kinda gave up because he started to release hella shit and I couldnt afford it.

I dont think he was the nicest on the mic, but he did alot for Southern hip hop. I was fukn wid Geto Boys, 8ball MJG and Suave House prior, but I seen his effect on my city at the time.. katz were pick up his albums, street teams handing out flyers/stickers/posters/single tapes... radio and tv plays... NL clothing on every fuckin body.

Mar 18, 2003
It has do one thing alot people are forgetin too.That Priority Records fucked up with differnt labels and thier solo artist also...Then there was anthor factor when you couldn't tell if they were giving Tupac props or just complety bittin him... who could forget Crazy
3-4 cds were put out under the makaveli name cds put... people thought the realest was bittin Pac...

May 2, 2003
I hated on No Limit for the first couple of years...my friend had that second TRU double-album though, and it had some smashes so when Ghetto D came out I copped that album. I think Ghetto D is real tight, even though there was some heavy biting going on (using the same "samples" that just had been used by other artists, doing the 2Pac-impersonations etc.). After that I started collecting all the Master P-cd's and lots of No Limit-albums. I like "99 Ways To Die" (Al Eaton!) and "Ice Cream Man", but the other ones of P's solos were pretty wack..."The last don", "Only God Can Judge Me", "Ghetto Postage", "Gameface"...not albums I bump on the regular! I also liked Silkk The Shockers "Charge It 2 Da Game", some Kane & Abel, some Soulja Slim, even one of C-Murders albums (not Life Or Death, but one that came later). My homie was into Skull Duggery. The best album on No Limit was Snoop's "No Limit Top Dogg", though...but I don't concider that a "real" No Limit album (production from Dre, Quick etc., which smashed on everything Beats By The Pound ever did...that "Ghetto Symphony" is probably one of the weakest beats I've heard pre-Laffy Taffy-era). To sum it up, No Limit was fun in their prime, they made some hits, took the independent game to another level...but it couldn't last with all the oversaturation, average to bad rappers and hit and miss-production...

May 20, 2006
Master P was probably the first person to capitialize on Tupac's death, when he released that West Coast Bad Boys Comp dedicated to Tupac....Just Like Jay-Z was the first to capitalize on Notorious B.I.G.'s death.

ThaG

Sicc OG
Jun 30, 2005
eversince beats by the pound were no longer producing......
Back in the days I did the calculation and it turns out that those three must have been making something on the order of 4-500 beats a year. This is way too much, no matter how creative you are; the logical consequence of a significant drop in quality long before they left No Limit

HIM

Sicc OG
Sep 27, 2002

Cant hate on that...

Anyway, I was never the biggest fan of Master P and Silk was just garbage to me..lol..they had a few cuts that I took notice too..Mystikal was the nigga though..he was the nigga before NO LIMIT as well..

I guess I was just on some Brotha Lynch, Twista, Bone, Mobb Deep, X-raided, Tech N9ne type s--t(among others), ..thats pretty much the only rap albums I bought back then...