The Official SF Giants 2013 Season Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jan 5, 2006
If the Giants don't pick up a LF or a power bat this off season, I seriously hope not a single seat in that stadium gets filled all season... i hope those fucks in the front office see that the fans ain't playin around, you gotta sign some real talent and not washed up bullshit. Make some damn chess moves, not some crossword puzzle bullshit. If you gotta get more teams involved to get the guy you need/want... do it, don't wait until the last damn minute to sign a veteran nobody wanted and hope it works like 2010 and 2012.

DubbC415

Mickey Fallon
Sep 10, 2002
Tomato Alley
ESPN's Buster Olney reports that the Giants "have checked in on" the David Price sweepstakes.
But the Giants would likely have to gut their farm system to pull off a deal and the two sides haven't even begun exchanging ideas. Price is drawing serious trade interest from several major league teams, but he's not a free agent until after the 2015 season so the Rays can be as patient as they want to be. Price, 28, owns a spectacular 3.19 career ERA, 1.16 career WHIP and 8.1 career K/9.

Feb 8, 2006
not sure i like the Michael Morse deal

213 hitter if i remember right
i know he's big and powerful but
$5million on that?

Jan 5, 2006
and the giants continue to sit on their hands. mariners got logan morrison and corey hart
I'm saying tho....

They believe with Michael Morse signing they are done... these owners lack innovation.

Every team now nearly... has pitching, how do you take on pitching? obviously hitting. Would love to see some hitters in there with Sandoval, Posey and Pence. Sandoval is so up and down that we need TWO hitters, one to protect the other in the line up.

Jan 5, 2006
not sure i like the Michael Morse deal

213 hitter if i remember right
i know he's big and powerful but
$5million on that?
He hit 289 avg in 4 seasons with the Nats, and 67 HR's in that span and 331 OBP in those 4 years too. I'll take that over Blanco, in 7 seasons he only has 10 HR's.. the only thing is with Blanco we have speed on the bases.

DubbC415

Mickey Fallon
Sep 10, 2002
Tomato Alley
Andrew Baggarly of CSN Bay Area reports that the Giants will have representatives on hand to see Cuban right-handers Raicel Iglesias and Odrisamer Despaigne during their showcase in Mexico.
They'll also be looking at Cuban shortstop Aledmys Diaz during the showcase. The 23-year-old Iglesias could be the prize of the group, as he possesses a fastball that touches 95 and an allegedly devastating breaking ball. Once he's declared a free agent, he is free to sign with any team without effecting that squad's international bonus pool.

DubbC415

Mickey Fallon
Sep 10, 2002
Tomato Alley
The Giants were interested in Mark Mulder but backed out after he requested a major league contract.
Mulder hasn't pitched in a big league game since 2008 and he wasn't effective after 2005, so he's likely going to have to settle for a non-guaranteed minor league deal if he indeed decides to go through with this comeback attempt. The lefty turned 36 years old in August.

Sep 20, 2005
FUCK YOU
UPDATE: According to Dan Kurtz of MyKBO.com, Pill has reached an agreement with the KIA Tigers.

10:06 p.m. ET, Thursday: According to Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com, Giants first baseman/outfielder Brett Pill is in talks to play with the KIA Tigers of the Korea Baseball Organization.

Baggarly hears that the Giants already have a deal in place to sell his contract, so Pill is just working on the money involved. John Shea of the San Francisco Chronicle reported earlier this evening that the Giants were asking for as much as $1 million to sell his contract to a team in Japan or Korea.

Pill, 29, has had a few stints with the Giants over the past three seasons while compiling a .223/.279/.404 batting line in 259 plate appearances.

Jan 5, 2006
UPDATE: According to Dan Kurtz of MyKBO.com, Pill has reached an agreement with the KIA Tigers.

10:06 p.m. ET, Thursday: According to Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com, Giants first baseman/outfielder Brett Pill is in talks to play with the KIA Tigers of the Korea Baseball Organization.

Baggarly hears that the Giants already have a deal in place to sell his contract, so Pill is just working on the money involved. John Shea of the San Francisco Chronicle reported earlier this evening that the Giants were asking for as much as $1 million to sell his contract to a team in Japan or Korea.

Pill, 29, has had a few stints with the Giants over the past three seasons while compiling a .223/.279/.404 batting line in 259 plate appearances.
Another Schierholtz type, wasn't given a fair shot IMO.

DubbC415

Mickey Fallon
Sep 10, 2002
Tomato Alley
this:

Tim Lincecum is a part of the brand. The Giants are gettin' the brand back together. Which means the Giants believe there's value in never letting the franchise icons go until it's absolutely clear there's nothing left. It's what the Yankees did with Bernie Williams and Jorge Posada. It's what the Dodgers will do from now until the end of time. The big teams pay a premium for sentimentality because the image of a beloved player in another uniform disturbs the causal fans.

DubbC415

Mickey Fallon
Sep 10, 2002
Tomato Alley
White Sox claimed LHP Eric Surkamp off waivers from the Giants.
Surkamp made just one appearance in 2013 with the big-league Giants and it was a disaster. But the 26-year-old left-handed starter has 2.84 career ERA and 541 strikeouts in 484 2/3 minor league innings and could finally get an extended look in Chicago.

DubbC415

Mickey Fallon
Sep 10, 2002
Tomato Alley
Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle reports that the Giants have had conversations with Grant Balfour.
However, Schulman adds that the odds of them signing Balfour are "meh," which is no surprise since they don't have a closer job available. Balfour's contract with the Orioles fell apart, but he should be able to land a ninth inning gig somewhere before long.

DubbC415

Mickey Fallon
Sep 10, 2002
Tomato Alley
Giants signed RHP Andrew Carignan to a minor league contract.
Carignan needed Tommy John surgery in mid-2012 and then underwent a procedure to repair labrum damage in his shoulder this past summer. "I’m just looking for an opportunity to get out there," Carignan told the Norwich Bulletin about his new deal with San Francisco. "It’s been a rough couple years with those injuries and the rehab. I was a free agent after last year so I was looking for an opportunity and the Giants came and gave me one."

(Former Athletic)